Why can't we delete our own topics?

Started by FanofRainbowDash, 2013 Aug 20, 12:20:42

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

FanofRainbowDash

When I try to delete one of my threads that has been dead for a long time, I get this:
I have to ask a mod to delete the thread for me.

Tekner

I believe the official reason is because we want to keep dead threads around for search engine optimization.
TL;DR The more threads on our forums, the more likely a search engine will find us, which brings more people in.

Somebeing

...?

Why would we want more people? It's rare for someone to search up the three words at once. Typing legends brings up Leagues of Legends, and typing Equestria obviously brings up Equestria Daily.

I know it's all popularity and stuff...but at this time a lot of ponies are supporting the team

Including me. ^-^ (Joined August 2011)

AntlerShy

The only case this might be reasonable is if a thread doesn't have any replies.

A thread started by you is not really owned by you. If you could just delete your threads you might delete thousands of posts other users have contributed and which might still have value to them or to other people. Being able to access older threads and the information contained in them is one of the key features of forums compared to a chat and very much intended. There shouldn't really be many reasons why you'd want to get rid of a thread. Anyway, I'd rather have to ask a mod for deletion of my topic than irrevocably getting posts wiped by other users.

Somebeing

Quote from: AntlerShy on 2013 Aug 21, 13:54:51
The only case this might be reasonable is if a thread doesn't have any replies.

A thread started by you is not really owned by you. If you could just delete your threads you might delete thousands of posts other users have contributed and which might still have value to them or to other people. Being able to access older threads and the information contained in them is one of the key features of forums compared to a chat and very much intended. There shouldn't really be many reasons why you'd want to get rid of a thread. Anyway, I'd rather have to ask a mod for deletion of my topic than irrevocably getting posts wiped by other users.

That makes complete sense. You might lose information to defend your self if your put under moderation.

Go Up