General Pokémon Thread [Sun & Moon are out!]

Started by Rikaria, 2014 May 07, 10:23:18

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Rikaria

Quote from: Stardust Dragon on 2015 Jan 17, 16:09:23
At the very least you can use the same parents to start, since all three starters are in the Field egg group? X3

To be honest, I can't really use the exact same parents since the ones I used were specifically for a Modest Pokémon (perfect IVs in all stats except Attack), and I'm trying to breed for Adamant now for both (which will now need perfect IVs in all stats except Special Attack).

To Kirby: I do realize the Oshawott you gave me was Modest, but I think it's better if it had a Physical moveset instead. If there are those who disagree with me (including you), I'm sorry, but you'll just need to breed for a Modest (or even Jolly) Nature yourself x.x
If I'm not here, I'm most likely on Pokémon Shuffle's Miiverse community.

KirbyFluttershy

well my last oshawott didn't have a modest nature. the attack and sp. atk stats are completely close so it doesn't matter if you want to make it a physical or special attacker. My only syncers were adamant espeon and modest gardevoir.

note: if i mean by "syncers", i mean by pokemon with synchronize ability.
3DS Friend Code: 2363-5641-1771
Final Fantasy XI Char/Server: Chiririn / Asura
Yo-kai Watch Wibble Wobble Player Code & Username: 1qmgdmug / KirbySh

Sunshine Smash

Jeez, never noticed how confusing this breeding thing is. I'm trying to get a Gallade with a hasty nature and at least Perfect IV's in HP, attack, defense, Sp. Def, and speed. I've gotten really close.

Deep inside..... We're kindred spirits...... You..... And I......

Rikaria

I'll admit I was overwhelmed by all the things breeding entails, but now that I look back at it after all these years, it's actually not that bad. If anything, I learned about each specific part of breeding separately each game set:

• In Black 2/White 2, I started caring about Natures:

• Which ones raises/lowers which stats, if any

• How they're passed down via Everstone

• How you can use a Pokémon with Synchronize to affect a wild Pokémon's Nature somewhat

• In X/Y, I started caring about EVs (Effort Values):

• Granted, the EVs themselves aren't actually part of breeding, but I learned that the Power items (Power Weight, Power Bracer, Power Belt, Power Lens, Power Band, and Power Anklet) are guaranteed to pass a specific IV (Individual Value, which I'll cover below).

• In Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire, I started caring about IVs:

• For every point for an IV, it equals one point in that particular stat, visibly seen at Lv. 100 (ex.: 31 HP IVs = 31 HP stat points).

• Aside from what I mentioned earlier about the Power items, IVs can also be passed down via the Destiny Knot item. This guarantees five randomly selected IVs from each parent, which is extremely helpful when you're trying to breed for four, five, or even six perfect IVs.

Of course, getting into IV breeding is mainly for competitive reasons, but if you're like me and would prefer to have a more ideal Pokémon even if you're not a competitive player, this is the way to go.

Sunshine Smash

I'm actually getting into this breeding thing. Anyone up for a Ralts with at least 4 perfect IV's?

Rikaria

2015 Jan 18, 22:59:47 #285 Last Edit: 2015 Jan 18, 23:20:29 by Rikaria
Ugh... Though I had luck getting female Contrary Snivy, I'm having worse luck with getting female Shell Armor Oshawott... Oh, the breeding life...

EDIT: Nala Valor, the Pokémon X/Y thread creator, has given us permission (PM'd them about it) to allow X/Y topics to be continued here :) This will now be the centralized Pokémon thread; I've updated the first post as well.

EDIT 2: I don't know if this is considered lucky or not (well... it probably is regardless), but anyway... So I have a female Shell Armor Oshawott who only has 4 perfect IVs, and it was holding a Destiny Knot (remember: it randomly selects 5 IVs from each parent during breeding). I also have a male Shell Armor Oshawott who has 5 perfect IVs (the one that wasn't perfect was Special Attack), and it was holding a Power Band (passes down the Special Defense IV of the parent who's holding it). After horus of breeding today (and only today), I managed to get both a male and female Shell Armor Oshawott... WITH 6 PERFECT IVS! What annoyed me though is that I never even managed to get a female with 5 IVs WITH the right Nature (the two with 6 IVs are a Rash male and Bold female), and I think if I tried breeding with the 6 IV ones, I'll just get bad offspring... So conflicted ><

Sunshine Smash

Breeding confounds me. But I finally managed to get a pretty good Ralts, perfect for evolving into Gallade. (Not at all fitted to evolve into Gardevoir.) and I'm pretty proud of that.  :]

Rikaria

NEVER MIND! I actually managed to get 5 IV Oshawott using just one of the 6 IV ones! :D

Quote from: Sunshine Smash on 2015 Jan 18, 23:03:20
Breeding confounds me. But I finally managed to get a pretty good Ralts, perfect for evolving into Gallade. (Not at all fitted to evolve into Gardevoir.) and I'm pretty proud of that.  :]

Yeah it's pretty tedious, but once you get the hang of things, it should (hopefully) be smooth sailing later even if you don't get something ideal right away.

Sunshine Smash

Quote from: Rikaria on 2015 Jan 18, 23:21:39
NEVER MIND! I actually managed to get 5 IV Oshawott using just one of the 6 IV ones! :D
Yeah it's pretty tedious, but once you get the hang of things, it should (hopefully) be smooth sailing later even if you don't get something ideal right away.

Honestly, it's actually pretty fun. I had nothing going on that day, that was there to burn some time.

Rikaria

It's not fun when there's a bad male/female ratio ><

EDIT: Note to self: don't use a 6 IV parent when breeding for a specific Nature as well... (You might end up getting perfect IVs in the wrong stat.)

Spoiler: EDIT 2: Well... this just happened to me thanks to one of my Base Pals • show
Sorry about the quality, lighting, etc.

(If you can't read it, it says "Naomi obtained a Master Ball!")

EDIT 3: Shell Armor Oshawott and Thick Fat (later becomes Reckless) Tepig are now ready to be given away! As before, your options are (for both): 5 IV male or 4 IV female, but not both genders for one particular Pokémon since I didn't have enough room for more.

Stardust Dragon

Quote from: Rikaria on 2015 Jan 21, 17:20:51
It's not fun when there's a bad male/female ratio ><

EDIT: Note to self: don't use a 6 IV parent when breeding for a specific Nature as well... (You might end up getting perfect IVs in the wrong stat.)

Spoiler: EDIT 2: Well... this just happened to me thanks to one of my Base Pals • show
Sorry about the quality, lighting, etc.

(If you can't read it, it says "Naomi obtained a Master Ball!")

EDIT 3: Shell Armor Oshawott and Thick Fat (later becomes Reckless) Tepig are now ready to be given away! As before, your options are (for both): 5 IV male or 4 IV female, but not both genders for one particular Pokémon since I didn't have enough room for more.

1: You're not kidding about gender ratios.  I managed to pop out a Shiny Riolu earlier this week, but it was a male and my (overly)-specific needs want it to be female.  Then trying to better my breeding stock for a Bulbasaur I wanted didn't give me a single female Chlorophyll that was better than my current parent.  At least that one eventually worked out.

2: Awesome luck with that item!  I didn't even know that's something that could happen in a Secret Base.  Clearly I need to actually start playing AS more...

3: May I request a Shell Armor Oshawott?  4 IV Female is preferred, but again I can breed one myself given a male.  Whatever you can spare.

Rikaria

Quote from: Stardust Dragon on 2015 Jan 21, 17:42:43
May I request a Shell Armor Oshawott?  4 IV Female is preferred, but again I can breed one myself given a male.  Whatever you can spare.

PM sent.

Sunshine Smash

Honestly I can't decide, I never really cared for the 5th gen starters besides Serperior. I used them every now and again, I like them some more, but I never chose someone I like more.
If you don't mind, I'd really like a male Oshawott.

Rikaria

2015 Jan 21, 23:23:58 #293 Last Edit: 2015 Jan 21, 23:46:41 by Rikaria
Quote from: Sunshine Smash on 2015 Jan 21, 22:33:54
If you don't mind, I'd really like a male Oshawott.

PM sent.

By the way, this happened for a time (dunno how long Nintendo won't notice as of this post).

Spoiler: As proof (not that it really matters since I already had Contrary Snivy prior to this) • show
Remember: this was a Japan-only distribution.

UPDATE: This hasn't been confirmed for North America yet.

Sunshine Smash

Wow, nifty. Though you already gave me one with all the IV's I actually needed. It'll be cool to have it around though.

Rikaria

Seems like Europe and Australia have an official announcement concerning Contrary Serperior (uses the same code as Japan's distribution, and the pic I just linked for that matter). I wonder when they'll officially announce it for North America.

KirbyFluttershy

They already did, but it's a good thing I got them on my brother's Japanese AS before they were released to EU and NA.
3DS Friend Code: 2363-5641-1771
Final Fantasy XI Char/Server: Chiririn / Asura
Yo-kai Watch Wibble Wobble Player Code & Username: 1qmgdmug / KirbySh

Rikaria

2015 Jan 22, 09:49:42 #297 Last Edit: 2015 Jan 22, 09:59:44 by Rikaria
What was weird is that it was available to North America BEFORE any sort of announcement.

Well whatever... GO GET IT NOW :D

EDIT: How it differs from the Contrary Snivy I gave away is that it has Hold Back (basically an event version of False Swipe) and comes in a Cherish Ball. I don't know if the gender is fixed though, but if you get a male, just breed him with Ditto.

Sunshine Smash

Quote from: Rikaria on 2015 Jan 21, 23:55:41
Seems like Europe and Australia have an official announcement concerning Contrary Serperior (uses the same code as Japan's distribution, and the pic I just linked for that matter). I wonder when they'll officially announce it for North America.

So that means the other two starters will be released too? Interesting.

Rikaria

2015 Jan 22, 12:06:48 #299 Last Edit: 2015 Jan 22, 12:10:08 by Rikaria
All that breeding for nothing... X3 Actually, it doesn't matter to me. I didn't have anything else to do.

For those who still wanted the ones I've bred, I'll give them to you.

Go Up