I'd like to thank the programmers

Started by Ahri, 2014 Aug 08, 23:26:25

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Ahri

For doing such a good job:

It supports multi-monitor resolutions perfectly, plenty of big games(COD) don't support it.
<3
please don't attempt to message me, I don't want to be anyone's friend on here.

Chishio Kunrin

Wow! :o I wish I had multiple monitors.

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

Princess Oliver

Princess Oliver
Princess of Arcane Engineering
Programming Co-Lead
[br]

Ründo

Quote from: Ahri on 2014 Aug 10, 01:13:00
ok after playing it for a little bit.

It is terribly optimized/badly coded in some way.

In pony ville I am hitting in the 30's and I saw it hit 28FPS? I should get no less then  80+
And nothing was going on, my computer isn't the problem, trust me.

So?  This is a PRE-ALPHA Game... what were you expecting; flawless release?

Besides, the code is more optimized this time around and the servers are better at handling things, to some extent. Plus, login is doing a lot better this time as far as I could see. thank you all for addressing these issues BTW.

Most likely the issue you're suffering is probably either server overload (causing large number of packet to be processed / more ponies to render), or your graphics card and/or driver is not as compatible with this game as it could be (stuff like this does happen from time to time.)  because I suffered very little lag issues outside of swarms of ponies.
Currently: staring into space
Was: working on Tekner's MLP Minecraft Mod
Playing: Minecraft, Space Engineers, Cities: Skylines

LemonDrop

Quote from: Ründo on 2014 Aug 10, 08:20:38

In pony ville I am hitting in the 30's and I saw it hit 28FPS? I should get no less then  80+

So?  This is a PRE-ALPHA Game... what were you expecting; flawless release?

Besides, the code is more optimized this time around and the servers are better at handling things, to some extent. Plus, login is doing a lot better this time as far as I could see. thank you all for addressing these issues BTW.

Most likely the issue you're suffering is probably either server overload (causing large number of packet to be processed / more ponies to render), or your graphics card and/or driver is not as compatible with this game as it could be (stuff like this does happen from time to time.)  because I suffered very little lag issues outside of swarms of ponies.

The game itself uses an acceptable amount of ram for a mmo as it is storing a ton of models directly into the ram but honestly I dont see why it takes 23% of a 3770k i7 to render static models with no other players ingame, either something is really messed up or I just have no perception of how much cpu a mmo should use.
The servers themselves are absolute crap at handling a ton of players for some reason, probably because they aren't actual mmo servers and just for testing (some of them even have just empty apache webservers on them for no reason indicating that they were probably set up without much care for their quality) or perhaps because there were just simply too many people trying to get in at one time (and having everything relying on a single mysql database for stuff like passhashes is what was causing a ton of those old login issues due to like too many connections).

Still tho I shouldn't have to try connecting to every server twice to atleast get into one and then having one halfway across the globe be the one that actually works, but I guess thats just the price to pay for having servers open only for "testing" 1% of year

Ründo

Quote from: Ahri on 2014 Aug 10, 16:18:37
Do you think I am running some pentium 4 processor with intergrated graphics?

...  o.O defensive much?  I didn't even mention that you were using sub-par anything.  I just know there are weird scenarios where some code just conflicts, reducing performance; which frankly, is a NORMAL OCCURRENCE  :l, even if infrequent.

Besides...   PRE- ALPHA, Indie Game     I'm not sure what part of that you don't get?   One should be elated that the game typically runs without looking choppy (overload excluded).

Anyway back on topic:

I see you touched up the pony creator... though now there's no code to keep settings... also some valid colors could not be selected for some odd reason.  other than that it looks nice.
Currently: staring into space
Was: working on Tekner's MLP Minecraft Mod
Playing: Minecraft, Space Engineers, Cities: Skylines

Mizuki

Ponydale is one of the first towns/locations ever made, so it's not as optimized as Cantermore & Cloudopolis are. There are plans on fixing this though, as stated in LoE's Everfree Northwest panel.

So don't worry, your computer is totally fine! It's definitely something to do with Ponydale.

Not to be confused with Zukiuke

BeebarbX

I'd like to say I find at the current stage of development, the optimisation is fine. Sure it needs improvement, and iStat Menus reported that my Mac's thermal sensors were giving readings between 50-60 degrees C afterward. Which though higher than expected is not entirely unusual.

I couldn't get a framerate reading, but given that I experienced no noticeable framerate problems, and the only jerkiness was with the camera in flight, I'd guess that the framerate did not drop below 30 or 60 fps, depending upon the optimal minimum for the engine.

I don't get why people are obsessed with high framerates, so long as the game runs at the optimal minimum FPS for the game engine, you will be fine. In fact as I recall, DOOM 3 and Quake 4 were capped at 60 fps unless you altered a certain console variable.

BeebarbX

2014 Aug 15, 03:03:26 #8 Last Edit: 2014 Aug 15, 03:07:10 by BeebarbX
Not sure if serious... To suggest that I am trolling for posting my opinion only serves to make you look like a troll.

I switched to a Mac in 2006 because my old PC that ran Windows 95 finally stopped working, I only upgraded in early 2013 because most of the apps I used were becoming 64-bit only, ultimately I don't care if a computer is high-end or outdated by several years.

I don't give a flying feather whether I can get 30, 60, 120 or 50,000 fps as it doesn't matter so long as the game runs smoothly. All that those numbers are at the end of the day is bragging rights amongst certain groups of people.

Just as people compare how fast their cars are, there are people who like to compare how 'good' their computer is. So go ahead, parade around your numbers as though there is some importance to them. That is your opinion, and you have every right to it, however you don't have to state it like some ultimate fact and be a jerk to someone with a differing opinion.

Mizuki

Quote from: Ahri on 2014 Aug 15, 01:45:57
That is why people like myself spend thousands of dollars on their of instead of some 500$ dell pc at best buy

...That is exactly the kind of PC my dad gave my sister and I for graduation back in 2009 ono

Ah- but back on topic- did you get my message about Ponydale being fixed in the future?

Not to be confused with Zukiuke

Princess Oliver

If you feel you are able to improve the game in some way feel free to contribute. Besides needing to meet the application requirements of each team the game is an open project.
Otherwise this game is made by a lot of people effectively donating their free time to a free project and a lot of people are not even professionals in the fields or areas that they are contributing to in this project.

Also this game is still in pre-alpha. That stage of almost every single game ever made where optimizations are incredibly low priority for the developers as they want to fill the game with enough content to show the direction of the game. As long as things are coded in such a way that they are easy to improve at a later date then it does not really matter how inefficient the code is since we can improve it later. The game is not even out to play besides the rare open weekend that we do for the community.
Princess Oliver
Princess of Arcane Engineering
Programming Co-Lead
[br]

Go Up