I have a suggestion

Started by Rainy-Chan, 2012 Jun 28, 18:06:55

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Rainy-Chan

You should try to do something about the warning pm to help us who accidentally break the rules to prevent it from happening again. Example:

This tells me nothing, I literally have no idea what I did wrong or when. A quote from the post would be so much more helpful, even the most basic forums and boards have that nowadays. At the very least It would be nice if there was some sort of mention about what thread it was in.

Would this be a good idea? Thanks for reading.

Spoiler: show
 Neither did this tell me much, this motivation could get someone banned for saying that you can injure people with weapons.

McSleuthburger

All I can say is that you should probably read over the rules and be careful with what you post
-make sure it couldnt really offend anyone, remember this site is child-friendly site (no offensive language)

regarding the ban:
-simple, dont explain how to do criminal acts
Ye-olde ex mod
You've just been McSleuthburgered!

Rainy-Chan

Quote from: McSleuthburger on 2012 Jun 28, 19:41:05
All I can say is that you should probably read over the rules and be careful with what you post
-make sure it couldnt really offend anyone, remember this site is child-friendly site (no offensive language)

I do and most of these warnings that I get make no sense. I have read the rules many times and I am still confused, do you even care that I'm trying?

Quote from: McSleuthburger on 2012 Jun 28, 19:41:05
regarding the ban:
-simple, dont explain how to do criminal acts

Yea, I've seen other uses do it countless times. The program I mentioned wasn't even a hack tool or anything, it's made for stress testing websites. I didn't even say how to use it or anything, just that it was somehow used.

McSleuthburger

trying and actually doing are two different things, and if you post something offensive we have to take action, (my idea is look through some old post and see if things were modified by a mod or admin to see if you can find what was wrong)
Ye-olde ex mod

Rainy-Chan

So what you're saying is that you refuse to explain what somebody does wrong? How is that gonna prevent anything?

McSleuthburger

What im saying is go look for yourself, if you see something edited then you know that is where something went wrong
Ye-olde ex mod

Zygrograxgra

Quote from: Rainy-Chan on 2012 Jun 28, 20:11:57
So what you're saying is that you refuse to explain what somebody does wrong? How is that gonna prevent anything?

It doesn't, and it's probably one of the worst (and by that I don't mean most punishing) things that can be done when it comes to punishment.
From my own personal observations and experience, there are a LOT of people out there who cannot stop doing something wrong until they are told they've done something wrong, and what it was.
Usually I fall into that category.
I've received a warning and a one day ban before. The first one I understood what it was for, since it was blatantly obvious. The one day ban?
"Breaking obvious forum rules"
Like I've said before, there is no such thing as an obvious forum rule. State what has been done wrong and how, and preferably tell how to NOT do it again.
Otherwise you're just wasting your time hitting that warn/temp ban button.

Quote from: McSleuthburger on 2012 Jun 28, 20:20:00
What im saying is go look for yourself, if you see something edited then you know that is where something went wrong

Sometimes that's not even close to possible, especially if the post/thread was deleted outright.

Titanium Mushrooms
Are you happy yet?!

McSleuthburger

2012 Jun 28, 20:35:15 #7 Last Edit: 2012 Jun 28, 21:03:55 by McSleuthburger
ok after some searching I found what you got a warning for, but unfortunately it is in a special section right now so I cant show you the example (it happened in a thread earlier today)
basically, your post was edited because of the language
and the problem is that we keep having to edit your post (we've done it multiple times) because of language and now that you are aware of why, I hope you can take more consideration into what you are posting

tl;dr: dont be stupid, dont post anything that could be offensive

Edit: Ill unlock it for now

Edit2: Basically it shouldnt matter who the warning was from, just be smart about what you post and everything will be fine (have common sense DONT USE BAD WORDS)
Ye-olde ex mod

Rainy-Chan

I don't remember saying anything bad at all today. This is another concrete example of how it would be easier for me to avoid saying it again if I knew what it was. It's not just me, I've seen other users complaining about the very same thing.

I really think it would save us all a whole lot more of time and effort by improving the warning system as well as the ban motivations.

Lary

On a lot of other forums there is a moderation system in place where, if someone's post was edited by a moderator or removed for some reason and the account was penalized, they would get an automated message in their inbox depicting that they were punished, told why, and then shown why.

What I'm concerned about is: We have a team of moderators here. Why can this not be done? As family-friendly as this site is, some younger users might not even understand what they did wrong and will end up getting permanently banned without any knowledge of what they've done.
Could've been something great. But ya' blew it... Ya' blew it.

Remedy

McSleuthburger has explained the situation his explanation is exactly how it works, and arguing with him isn't going to get you anywhere, he (like myself) has no authority to change the system.

I've logged on your warnings that that you forced me to step in when McSleuthburger tried to explain things to you.
The scope of the topic has been noted, and really does not need to continue.

Go Up