DnD in LoE?

Started by Spectral Spirit, 2018 May 24, 00:03:01

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Spectral Spirit

Has anyone every tried to play a DnD-style roleplay in LoE?

If you have any experiences to share or tips on how you did it, I'd love to hear about them!  0:)

CMC Scootaloo

This sounds intriguing! But I'm also at a loss on how you would do this in LoE, considering the game isn't supporting D&D O&O and there are no character sheets, no maps, no player figures, no rule books, nothing.
Or would it simply be enough to have a GM and several players who sit in a circle and to make it look like:

"Scoots, you have decided to explore the dark forest. Unfortunately, after only a few steps, your lantern mysteriously breaks and the flame goes out and you stand in complete darkness all of a sudden. What are you going to do next?

A. You change your mind and leave the forest again, continuing without a light is way too dangerous and scary too!

B. You throw the lantern away and continue on through the forest. Relying on a light to guide your way is for wimps and you are a brave filly!

C. You look around and search the darkness. Maybe there is something you can ignite to make yourself a torch."

Scoots: "Huh..... Well, I'm not a scaredy filly, but I'm not an idiot either and exploring a dark forest at night without a light would be dangerous, who knows what lurks there..... So I guess I look around and build a torch."

GM: "You grope your way to the nearest tree and start searching. After a while, you have found a long and thick branch and something that looks like a firestone and start trying to ignite the branch. Roll for success."

ect. ect.

I suppose it could work, even though having the usual tools would make it better. We should try and see how it goes! 0:)
You always wanted to meet Scootaloo? Then be on the lookout for her in Equestria, she is galloping all over the realm!

Pumpkin Glow

Isn't there a /roll command in LoE?

That would at least be the most simple of roleplaying tools. :)

I think playing D&D in LoE could be possible, if simplified down enough and if all players (and DM) stay focused and keep their messages on point, so the group doesn't have to wait 30mins each time it's someponies turn.

I have done completely chat based D&D only once, with only one of my old players, (it was supposed to be a "quick" side adventure for her) and we ended up taking six hours for something that would have been maybe 1 hour tops in face to face, or voice and using something like Tabletop Simulator.  :I

Holiday Cheer

Quoteyou are a brave filly!

But.....you're Scootaloo. ;)  lol

But seriously, I think this could work in theory.  But it would require an group who is very dedicated to the idea and is willing to take the time and patience necessary to make it work.  I think it would require discussion and planning ahead of time to find a time when all the players can dedicate at least a couple hours to it and lay out all the rules and how we'll do it. 

That said, I'm crazy enough to be in for this.  Like most of you (I assume) I have plenty of experience with OnO (though mostly older versions) and also have unlimited patience (most of the time  ovO ).

(This wonderful picture is provided by Even Tide <3)

Spectral Spirit

my first train of thought was that i would have to create racial traits for pegasus, unicorn, and earth ponies, and maybe character sheets would be "submitted" to the dm somehow (probably through the forum?)

I only really started to think of it because of the !roll function, so i figured some form of probability-based roleplaying was at least possible if not encouraged.

I think "adventure" or dramatic roleplaying would be more fun with probability and organization, so there's an actual narrative to follow lol

I was thinking it wouldn't really have to be complicated wrt maps and things like that, it would be more "theatre or the mind" style.

I don't really have experience dm-ing though, just playing  :/

One of my current characters is a homebrew unicorn, so i could probably figure out what an mlp unicorn and other equines would be in comparison :D

Pumpkin Glow

I mean Tails of Equestria exists. https://riverhorse.eu/product-category/mlptails/

But I don't know if the rules are basic enough, as I still don't own it due to being too poor to justify buying it, i.o. to just read it.  X3

Spectral Spirit

Quote from: Pumpkin Glow on 2018 May 24, 09:48:57I mean Tails of Equestria exists. https://riverhorse.eu/product-category/mlptails/

But I don't know if the rules are basic enough, as I still don't own it due to being too poor to justify buying it, i.o. to just read it.  X3

i remember hearing about that !! i also found  a very detailed set of dnd manuals from a fan on deviantart that i might consult.

Holiday Cheer

Guess I'd better get around to buy those books and creating the .pdfs to distribute to less fortunate ponies then. X3

My thought would be yeah, you come up with a basic racial template for each of the races, create characters and submit the sheets here (or on a similar forum post, maybe in the RP section).  Then the rest would be 'theater' of the mind except with the ponies actually being able to go to the physical locations to stand around and RP the scene. ^-^

((In case it wasn't clear, I'd be willing to GM this.  Unless you planned to Spectral)).

(This wonderful picture is provided by Even Tide <3)

Pumpkin Glow

I would be interested in playing and seeing how it goes.  ^-^

Spectral Spirit

Quote from: Holiday Cheer on 2018 May 24, 11:31:21Guess I'd better get around to buy those books and creating the .pdfs to distribute to less fortunate ponies then. X3

My thought would be yeah, you come up with a basic racial template for each of the races, create characters and submit the sheets here (or on a similar forum post, maybe in the RP section).  Then the rest would be 'theater' of the mind except with the ponies actually being able to go to the physical locations to stand around and RP the scene. ^-^

((In case it wasn't clear, I'd be willing to GM this.  Unless you planned to Spectral)).

i have some ideas for racial templates, plus there's a pretty sizable mlp "O&O" community to pull from.

and i haven't come up with any specific campaigns, nor would i be upset if someone else decided to test out this idea themselves to see how it goes :D

if we end up doing a "ghosthunting" or occult kind of campaign, i feel like i should play lol but i'd be more than happy to try out dm-ing something myself too!

It might take off and we can have cool adventure roleplays !!

CMC Scootaloo

How do you imagine doing it exactly? Just simply sitting around a table and have the DM (GM? I'm confused to how they're called now.....) sit at one end with their instructions and the others around the table so they can't see them and everything is imaginary?
Or actually going to places and make it like a roleplay that is narrated by somepony? The latter could be done using the environment we have, but then it wouldn't be real O&O anymore.
You always wanted to meet Scootaloo? Then be on the lookout for her in Equestria, she is galloping all over the realm!

Aster Topaz

Quote from: Pumpkin Glow on 2018 May 24, 08:14:10Isn't there a /roll command in LoE?
There is indeed: it's !roll, and you can specify the type of die by adding something like d20 or 2d10 at the end ("!rolld20" and "!roll d20" both work the same I think, the latter adds an extra space in the printed message).

Just don't get too fancy with it, the feature doesn't handle penalties correctly and I suspect bonuses don't work right either (and don't add words to your rolls, they really mess with the results).
"Oh, yeah, Trollestia occasionally sends scrolls to ponies who wait the full 30 seconds."

Spectral Spirit

Quote from: CMC Scootaloo on 2018 May 24, 23:14:51How do you imagine doing it exactly? Just simply sitting around a table and have the DM (GM? I'm confused to how they're called now.....) sit at one end with their instructions and the others around the table so they can't see them and everything is imaginary?
Or actually going to places and make it like a roleplay that is narrated by somepony? The latter could be done using the environment we have, but then it wouldn't be real O&O anymore.

the most important part i think is having a basic narrative that's driven by creativity and probability (mostly so everypony isn't trying to be the 'main character' at once) and it's actually interesting for everypony involved to play. I figure one person would be in the room that's not a player character, and we could use the environment as a sort of map? This is more speculation than active planning of a campaign tho  X3

Spectral Spirit

Quote from: Aster Topaz on 2018 May 25, 04:43:03There is indeed: it's !roll, and you can specify the type of die by adding something like d20 or 2d10 at the end ("!rolld20" and "!roll d20" both work the same I think, the latter adds an extra space in the printed message).

Just don't get too fancy with it, the feature doesn't handle penalties correctly and I suspect bonuses don't work right either (and don't add words to your rolls, they really mess with the results).

i didn't know text messed with the results !! it honestly didn't seem very random when i used it (i just attributed that to it being a machine). if that's a problem i suppose one person could roll irl and just. promise not to lie lol

Master Masher

we might not be able to do it in game but no one said we can't do it here on the forums. Then just roll the dice in real life.
I have a lot of ideas X3
Hi master masher. master as in well a master at button mashing. i am a gamer planing on braving youtube as"Master Masher" what ever it comes down to. Still figuring out the kinks with the running LoE and my profile

Sunny Sandbar

There is a roll dice command in the game. However, keeping everyone in one place and patient may be hard.
Also, I do participate in this style of RP in a discord server and I love it! (I pray I don't cause my OC's I use to die.)
That Holiday Cheeer emote from the Discord server will go here soon. I must spread the meme xD

Master Masher

We can type down the actions we do in the chat if there is one.
Hi master masher. master as in well a master at button mashing. i am a gamer planing on braving youtube as"Master Masher" what ever it comes down to. Still figuring out the kinks with the running LoE and my profile

Master Masher

I no way to play Legends of Equiestria.
So have fun without me.plus i will even have a hard time getting on to the Forums because of school being over and that was my mane source of access to a computer.
So if you don't see me put up anything on the forums for awhile you know why. :') I don't want to leave this computer but i have to to go home. D:

valex44568

I might be a little late to suggest this, but there are Ponyfinder books. if you're looking for ways to assign attributes to races, create items, monsters, and quests, those books work very similarly to D&D.

Spectral Spirit

I'll definitely take a look !! theres a lot of fanmade player handbooks for mlp themed campaigns. 

I've never played pathfinder though ^-^

Go Up