Can non-unicorns see magical auras?

Started by Tiger, 2013 May 23, 11:06:27

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Asterian Starfall

2013 Jun 19, 21:48:06 #20 Last Edit: 2013 Jun 19, 21:58:26 by Asterian
You were looking almost straight at the penguin, and Applejack was looking almost straight at Twilight.
You were getting the big picture and taking in all the details, so was Applejack.
You missed the penguin, Applejack missed the aura.
Applejack didn't expect Twilight to use magic because she thought she would follow tradition, so she wasn't looking for magical auras. You didn't expect the penguin to appear, and you missed him
If it's in your field of vision, it can be mistaken, manipulated, and missed.

Apologies, I'm sounding arrogant, aren't I?
"Luck is how you explain an overly-variabled scenario that went in your favor." - Asterian Élire Starfall

ArtVeigar

I actually can have a pretty focused attention, and I try to focus only on what matters. I wasn't looking at the background, not even at the dancing in general. I was looking just at the big bright circles and what was inside it. Anything outside it was like a blur for me. But that's only me, I don't know if it is for everyone else. And AJ wasn't looking "almost" straight at Twilight. She was looking straight at Twilight. At that specific moment, she wasn't overseeing everypony on the field. She was looking at Twilight and only at her. I just saw that scene again just to be sure.
Quote from: Asterian on 2013 Jun 19, 21:48:06
Apologies, I'm sounding arrogant, aren't I?

Just a little, but that's okay. You have a good point, and are trying to defend it. As long as you don't try to force it without any good argument, it's okay.

Asterian Starfall

Okay, last bit.
Skip ahead to 43:48 (Couldn't find a video about the end bit. You can watch the whole thing if you'd like, it's a good show!)

Spoiler: show
You can be looking dead at the cards in his hand and still miss the question. I did.

Anyway, I'm done. Nice debating with you!
"Luck is how you explain an overly-variabled scenario that went in your favor." - Asterian Élire Starfall

ArtVeigar

Sorry, but this video is blocked to Brazilian users.... I hate when this happens...

But it was indeed a nice debate! ^-^

Tiger

I'm just glad no one's shouting and arguing too much over this  :]

I still hold my point, but I think we can just have our own different opinions over this matter  X3

A link to my tumblr above!
Tiger's OC page. Should re-do it...

DotWaffler

I think everypony type can't see magic. For example, in the season 2 finale (A Canterlot Wedding) The "fake" Cadence's aura is green while the real one's is blue and yet Twilight didn't mention anything of it, even having Cadence as a babysitter her whole life.
~DotWaffler

Asterian Starfall

Quote from: DotWaffler on 2013 Jul 10, 20:14:04
I think everypony type can't see magic. For example, in the season 2 finale (A Canterlot Wedding) The "fake" Cadence's aura is green while the real one's is blue and yet Twilight didn't mention anything of it, even having Cadence as a babysitter her whole life.

Aha! Solid proof for my theory! It's not that they can't see it, they just don't notice it!

ArtVeigar

Quote from: Asterian on 2013 Jul 10, 20:39:22
Quote from: DotWaffler on 2013 Jul 10, 20:14:04

Aha! Solid proof for my theory! It's not that they can't see it, they just don't notice it!

Or that only mean nopony can see magical auras... The only way to really prove your theory is to show a situation where they actually notice it. This is the only way to prove they can see it, but don't notice it.

Tiger

Asterian, I don't understand how Dot's statement can be proof for your theory when he says that he thinks ALL PONIES can't see magic, whereas you say they can see it but don't notice it.

As ArtVeigar said,
Quote from: ArtVeigar on 2013 Jul 10, 21:29:06
The only way to really prove your theory is to show a situation where they actually notice it. This is the only way to prove they can see it, but don't notice it.

That's really the only way to prove the theory of ignorant ponies that don't notice magic.

...Okay that came out wrong  :I

Asterian Starfall

Okay, here's a thought:

Shining Armor placed a forcefield around Canterlot. Considering the fact that the changelings could see where it was, followed by that as the train carrying the mane six passed through it, they all moved as if they had seen something (ha ha), wouldn't that be the same for an aura?

An aura is nothing but energy, as is a forcefield. If they can see the forcefield, can't they see the auras?

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage

ArtVeigar

I give you points for Adam's quote, but I think the force field is somthing like the materialization of magic into something concrete, while the aura is just an indication that magic is ocurring.

Or better, maybe the magic does have a color, but it's visibility increases with it's strength. When using it for common and normal spells, like lifting small objects with telekinesis and maybe the "come-to-life" spell Twilight used on the cart, the aura is so faint it's pratically invisible, but when gathered in great amounts, like when Shining Armor created the force field or when Twilight fought the Ursa Minor and her horn glowed like a sun as she strained herself to lift something that big, it becomes visible.

Asterian Starfall

2013 Jul 12, 14:28:00 #31 Last Edit: 2013 Jul 12, 14:53:09 by Asterian
Quote from: ArtVeigar on 2013 Jul 11, 22:46:43
Or better, maybe the magic does have a color, but it's visibility increases with it's strength. When using it for common and normal spells, like lifting small objects with telekinesis and maybe the "come-to-life" spell Twilight used on the cart, the aura is so faint it's pratically invisible, but when gathered in great amounts, like when Shining Armor created the force field or when Twilight fought the Ursa Minor and her horn glowed like a sun as she strained herself to lift something that big, it becomes visible.

I think that goes hoof-in-hoof with what I'm saying while holding your own point well. Finally! We agree on something!  ;)

ArtVeigar

Quote from: Asterian on 2013 Jul 12, 14:28:00
Quote from: ArtVeigar on 2013 Jul 11, 22:46:43

I think that goes hoof-in-hoof with what I'm saying while holding your own point well. Finally! We agree on something!  ;)

Yay! We reached an agreement! :D
But it's kinda sad, I liked this discussion... :P

Asterian Starfall

Quote from: ArtVeigar on 2013 Jul 12, 19:40:28
Yay! We reached an agreement! :D
But it's kinda sad, I liked this discussion... :P

Same here, it was fun!

So, final verdict for those who weren't following along:

Unicorn auras are visible, but their visibility varies depending on the spell being cast. Telekinesis, as it's a spell so common every Unicorn knows it, is so low-level and so simple to cast, the aura is nearly invisible. More complex spells, such as age spells, would require more energy put into the aura, and thus increase its visibility.

Me and ArtVeigar agree that the auras can been seen, assuming you look hard enough. The obviousness of the aura, however depends on the spell being cast.

Ebony Inkwell

Maybe they can only see the auras if they're close enough?

I do think that Asterian has made a good point, though.
Hey, everypony! I'm Ebony Inkwell, but you can call me Inkwell!

Asterian Starfall

Quote from: Ebony Inkwell on 2013 Jul 16, 15:07:00
Maybe they can only see the auras if they're close enough?

I do think that Asterian has made a good point, though.

I think it's not the distance that determines the aura's visibility so much as it would be the complexity of the spell being cast.

imafilly

The fact of the matter is, AppleJack isn't very observant. End of story.  :l Sorry AJ.

GoldenTerrabyte

Don't forget this one:
Green Isn't Your Color
When Twilight messes with Fluttershy, no one notices the aura.
I'm back

ArtVeigar

Quote from: Yellowpikmin476 on 2013 Jul 30, 21:22:55
Don't forget this one:
Green Isn't Your Color
When Twilight messes with Fluttershy, no one notices the aura.

That's another thing that proves mine and Asterian's theory: It was just simple telekinesis, so the glow was to faint to be easily noticed. Thanks for bringing this scene up, because I had totally forgotten about it :P

Tiger

Quote from: imafilly on 2013 Jul 29, 20:22:04
The fact of the matter is, AppleJack isn't very observant. End of story.  :l Sorry AJ.

Even if somepony isn't a very observant pony, why would she be unable to see the absolutely huge glow of the cart Twilight was pushing?

+1 point to ArtVeigar and Asterian

Go Up