Plushie Making Advice?

Started by Chishio Kunrin, 2012 Aug 29, 23:58:53

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Chishio Kunrin

I'm thinking about learning how to make good pony plushes, so I can sell them. If I'm successful, it'll really help me and my parents. So, does anyone have any advice or know where any good how-to's are?

I imagine I might have a little trouble with seams, and I'm likely going to have trouble with making the eyes and cutie marks.

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

Stitchin Time

I was making a plushie, but it was left behind when we moved. >.< But I can offer some help.

For seams, sew it all together inside out, then carefully turn it rightside out and add the stuffing then sew together.

Buttons can make very cute eyes, actually. I think you can also embroider the eyes and cutie marks on.

Hopes this helps!

Chishio Kunrin

I figured I should sew it inside out. I learned that in Home Economics in middle school. But I wonder how I should sew the final part after I turn it right-side out and stuff it.

Also, has anyone ever gone to Build-A-Bear Workshop, and do you know how much those little hearts they have cost? If I come up with a good idea for incorporating those hearts, I'll try to see if the Build-A-Bear at the mall will let me buy just the hearts, and I'll give credit to the store for them.

Stitchin Time

I have been to BaB, but I do not know how much the hearts cost.

Pa_Kalsha

For the cutiemark and eyes, try embroidery. It was a lot easier than I thought; I was able to do Derpy's cutiemark without making too much of a pig's ear of it, and I'd never embroidered anything in my life. Patience, preparation and research are the key.
If you choose to embroider, I'd suggest doing it before cutting out the pieces, because it's a pain in the bum to do after you've cut them out and darn-near impossible to do after you've sewn the plush together.

Also: a chopstick is useful for turning the plush inside out. and getting all the fiddly bits.
Take it slowly, keep the seams an even width and, when you clip them, don't get too vigorous!

If you don't have a pattern yet, I'd strongly suggest ValleyViolet's - her instructions are really easy to follow, even for a total novice.

QuoteBut I wonder how I should sew the final part after I turn it right-side out and stuff it.

Ladder stitch, every single time.
Pinkie Pie got a job in a clock factory - she spent all day making faces

www.cheerfulomelette.co.uk

Chishio Kunrin

Ah. Thank you, very very much! ^-^

There's also a possibility that I might make smaller chibi kind of plushes. If I do that, I might make and sell them in pairs. It would be cute that way. Lyra and Bonbon, Derpy and Dr. Whooves, Pinkie and Surprise. Stuff like that.

Go Up