Name and cutie mark help!

Started by Stardust Dragon, 2012 Dec 13, 19:47:17

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Stardust Dragon

Hey everypony,

So I decided to give my sister a little Christmas gift of an OC and custom-painted blind bag to match, but I'm hitting a bit of a creative block.  I was wondering if people would give suggestions to help.  I haven't designed her physical appearance yet, but I'll give you a basic idea so you're not totally lost.

Unicorn, cream coat with turquoise mane and tail, although I may flip that.  Her magical specialty is being able to sense the emotions of animals and ponies very clearly, and she'll use this to help try and calm her friends down if they're having a tough time.  She can also erase some stress from anypony she works with, but there are things she can't erase entirely, just ease a bit.

Right now I can only come up with Guardian Angel for a name, but I just don't like that.  I also thought of having her cutie mark being a heart-shaped gear, but again not entirely satisfactory.  If it matters to anyone, I already picked up Lovestruck to use as the physical incarnation.

Thanks for the help, and have a great holiday season!

Gracie Sky

I think I have a good direction for your OC.

I'm going to suggest the name of "Soothie" with one of the possible last names I will bring up later. Her power is quelling negative emotion, so using the word Soothe compliments that well. However, I find Soothie to be cuter and it rolls off the tongue easier, but it still carries the same message. We can't be too predictable with our names, can we?

Now the second name can very, based on how you want to focus her personality. The two key names I'm juggling are:

Soothie Lake: With this name, she takes a more tranquil personality. A lake's surface is reflective, which could symbolize how she can see abstract things such as emotions.

Soothie Sunshine: With this name, she takes a more cheery disposition. She enjoys spreading warmth to others, like a personification of sunshine.

As for her cutie mark, I imagine something simple, like three diagonal wavy lines that look like a breeze. They could represent the air of gentleness around her. Other than that, I'd need some history to advise a more coherent cutie mark.
Character Critique Thread

Have your OC fairly and honestly evaluated!

Stardust Dragon

Thanks for the compliment.  It sure helps that this is exactly what my sister has done for me in recent years (non magically, of course).

I have to be honest in saying that I'm making this for her, so I'm kind of trying to pile up some name suggestions, but also leaving it open to her decision if she wants to make it.  Its also her call for any background the OC will have, again unless she wants me to make it.  I wanna leave it a surprise til Christmas too, so I can't get too much more input for a while.  Thanks for the help anyways!

ShadowHeart

I like your character design! As for the name, I think you should let your little sis name her...unless she doesn't like name ideas. By the way...what is a blind bag?

Join the changeling herd, or she'll devour your love!

Stardust Dragon

Blind bag ponies are the little 2 inch plastic figures you find in, well, blind bags.  The idea is you're never sure which one you're going to get. But thanks to this awesome community it's easy to figure them out based on the codes on the bags. 

And I do intend on letting my sister chose the name in the end, but I wanted to provide what I thought were a few good names in case she couldn't think of one.  If she picks any of them great, if not she has her own brain to pick for ideas. 

Ramisha

Well,I don't think a pony has to be named after their talent.they don't get their cutie mark instantly and some ponies are named after their colors or a theme that their parents have(eg. Crimson Shadow+Summer Lake=River Shade or something). So maybe you should try naming her after her colors. I'll try to list some names: Beach Sands,umm...well that's all I can thinnk of.  :P

Go Up