Legends of Equestria Design-A-Hairstyle Contest! [ENDED]

Started by Ellowee, 2016 Aug 27, 17:45:49

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Ellowee

[N.B. This contest has ended! You can view the winning entries here: http://forum.legendsofequestria.com/index.php?topic=16243]

Legends of Equestria's initial December release is right around the corner! We're super hard at work polishing everything for you all to enjoy - but we've left a little room for you to have some fun and help us out, too!

We've decided to hold a competition for you to add your own little flair to the game, and have a chance at being credited as part of the Legends of Equestria project! All you have to do is share your ideas for mane and tail styles for all player characters to use - If you've got a super cool original idea for a hairstyle, we want to see it!

We've provided you with some templates below on which to base your design; all you have to do is create the perfect style, and submit it back to us in the forum thread as a response to this post! We'll then select twenty-five winning entries and incorporate them into the character creator for the game - for you, and for everyone else who plays!

The full details for the contest are listed below, but the important thing is to have fun with your designs! The contest will run from now until 10th September 2016, and we will announce the winners on 17th September 2016.

And just to reassure you - we aren't expecting you all to submit perfectly modeled masterpieces! As long as we can tell how it's meant to look, you'll have a shot at winning; so get creative, and have fun doing it, no matter what your skill level!

We're looking forward to seeing all your ideas! Good luck!

Guidelines

• Use the templates provided below as the basis for your design

• Unisex styles and matching facial hair are strongly encouraged, but ultimately it's your creation!

• Each submission should include (at least) both a mane and tail style

• LoE's character creation engine supports up to three different colours in a pony's mane and tail, so feel free to include multiple colours!

• Fully rendered designs aren't necessary, but designs should clearly indicate different colour regions where applicable

• One entry per person, submitted as a post to this forum thread; you can post multiple designs in this thread, but please clearly label your final submission!

• Twenty-five winners will be chosen by the team leaders of Legends of Equestria's Concept Art and 3D Modeling teams

TEMPLATES

Stallion

Mare

This contest is open to anyone, regardless of age, technical abilities, or geographical location. By submitting, you (the artist) grant the Legends of Equestria project a nonexclusive worldwide license to use, modify, and distribute your design in both the game itself and in promotional content, under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareALike license (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/us/), as per which you will receive attribution in the game itself; this does not affect your own rights to the design. Submissions will be judged by team leaders from our Concept Art and 3D Modeling teams, and their decisions are final. All submissions are made with the understanding that winning designs will be incorporated into the project; there will be no other substantive reward or prize for entrants or winners. Any accepted entries may be edited or redesigned to meet the technical requirements of the project, and may differ between submission and integration into the game. Submitted designs should not violate, or incorporate elements of, any copyrighted third-party material, and should not contain any inflammatory, derogatory, or materials otherwise unsuitable for the tone of the project. The team reserves the right to disqualify any entries we receive, for example if they contradict the rules outlined above, or for any other reasons/issues which may arise later. By submitting a design, you indicate your agreement to all aforementioned rules.

MidnightLunaRose

Oh man i would love to do this but, sadly im too much of a noob for 3D modeling

Galapagois

2016 Aug 27, 18:16:04 #2 Last Edit: 2016 Aug 28, 10:17:55 by Galapagois
Quote from: MidnightLunaRose on 2016 Aug 27, 18:05:22
Oh man i would love to do this but, sadly im too much of a noob for 3D modeling

You don't need to be a super-pro 3D Modeller to enter; we've got our own team for that! Even if it's just an MS paint drawing over the top of the template, as long as we can tell what it's supposed to be, we'll consider it!

Case and point, here's my own completely awful example of what we'd be happy with for an entry:

See, this is why I'm in PR and not any of the actually talented teams  ;)

(P.S. This is just an example image, and should not be taken as my own entry or anything; I ain't entering)
Head of LoE Public Relations, King of Support, and a nuisance!

Alassë

A LoE design contest?? 

...ahem. X3

Any way we could get a quick reference list of the designs currently in play? I'd hate to design something that's too similar to a design that's already in use. ;)

Rikifive

So.. we all lost already, because that bacon hair is the best mane I ever seen in my life.  :3
Great example!  lol

I'm terrible at art, so most likely even paint will not help me. Perhaps I'll try my hoof on it, but I bet it will be even more epic than that bacon mane.  lol

Good luck to everypony!

Silver Blur

So, if I did, say, a drawing of the hairstyle on a base... would that be accepted?

BludSpammd

Quote from: Silver Blur on 2016 Aug 27, 20:27:34
So, if I did, say, a drawing of the hairstyle on a base... would that be accepted?

It's always recommended to use those images above as a base to draw your hairstyle on because everyone have their own way of drawing pony heads, necks and bodies.
While it's nice to see your own style of drawing ponies, the end result will not always look the same or some details will be cut out due to the size or shape being different.

fluxcapacitor100

ah took me 5 years to figure out the reason i couldnt comment was because i was not logged lol  X3 anyways though this is my submission im excited and i feel confident in it im excited to see if i win  :D
also, i had to resize the image just a tiiiiiiny bit! you're welcome to shrink the hair i just suck is all :P

please, if i met you in LoE, come find me! my DA, where i am most contactable, is this: http://reverendphantom.deviantart.com/

BludSpammd

Quote from: fluxcapacitor100 on 2016 Aug 27, 20:40:39
ah took me 5 years to figure out the reason i couldnt comment was because i was not logged lol  X3 anyways though this is my submission im excited and i feel confident in it im excited to see if i win  :D
also, i had to resize the image just a tiiiiiiny bit! you're welcome to shrink the hair i just suck is all :P

That is really good looking.

Just a reminder to keep the colors distinct like in this example. https://p3d.in/F76OW/spin
The hair color itself does not really matter. It's just to show what areas will change when you change the hair between the choices in-game.
It's not really needed, but I recommend drawing in other angles as well so I have a better idea how the hair should flow in 3D space.

Kage5

Silver Blur

Quote from: BludSpammd on 2016 Aug 27, 20:37:52
It's always recommended to use those images above as a base to draw your hairstyle on because everyone have their own way of drawing pony heads, necks and bodies.
While it's nice to see your own style of drawing ponies, the end result will not always look the same or some details will be cut out due to the size or shape being different.

Alright then.

I'll try doing one that's good both for mare and stallion :D

Quizzicall

Am I aloud to put in my 3d stuff? I'm not much of a drawer.

P.S. I got my comp fix  :3

jenniferdelong18

iiTabiMoonii

I'm a cringy furry pegasister mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

BludSpammd

Quote from: iiTabiMoonii on 2016 Aug 27, 23:29:26
How do I put images in?

Upload an image to a website like http://imgur.com/ and then when the image is uploaded you right click "view image" and get the URL for it.
After that click the image and paste the URL between .

iiTabiMoonii

2016 Aug 28, 00:21:40 #15 Last Edit: 2016 Aug 28, 09:05:11 by iiTabiMoonii
I thought of this one as kinda puffy pinkie hair.

I'm a cringy furry pegasister mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Jcfraven

2016 Aug 28, 01:28:54 #16 Last Edit: 2016 Aug 28, 01:33:45 by Jcfraven
Quote from: iiTabiMoonii on 2016 Aug 28, 00:21:40
I thought of this one as kinda puffy pinkie hair.

Post Merge

Still won't work properly, whatever, it was a good try c':

For future reference: On the page of the Imgur picture you would want to show, right click the image, and click to open it in a new tab. Copy the link from the tab that was opened, and put that in-between the IMG tags. The regular link is simply the page, the i.imgur.com link is the Imgur file itself, that the website can show.

I went ahead and did it for you, so for the purposes of the contest, here is iiTabiMoonii's Submission:

[spoiler]

[spoiler]

Omega Ridley

Heyo everyone !

Brand new member here, who heard through one of the holy moderators working here that there was a hairstyle design contest, so here's my submission !  :D

• You'll notice the templates look different, but they're actually the same ones that were posted in the OP. I just "traced" over them to get a blank canvas, so the anatomy is exactly the same.

• The hairstyle uses a maximum of two different colors, with the middle row having a different color. The hairstyle should be symmetrical (but if you want to make it asymmetrical for whatever reason, go nuts, it's your game  0:) )

• Finally, the last row is there to help your modelling team. I know how much of a pain concept art can be to decipher, and with all the spikes in this haircut, I figured it'd be easy to get lost.  :P Basically, all you have to do is locate a blue spike and compare it to the other angles, etc...it should be pretty straightforward.

Crossing my fingers now. Good luck to all the participants !  ^-^

Go Up