Regarding Applejack's parents. Spoilers from Apple Family Reunion.

Started by Julius, 2012 Dec 22, 23:04:30

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Julius

Alrighty then, following Book's words, I shall spoiler these! Sorry for any inconvenience everypony who may have checked this only to find spoilers! X3

Spoiler: show
As someponies had noted already, it seemed like those shooting stars were a reference to Applejack's parents right?

Well...

Here's the post on EqD.

I highly doubt Seth's theory of Adventuring Apples or Traveling Apple Salesponies is correct here.

That makes me a bit sad, but at the same time it makes the episode a tad sweeter in my opinion, as I didn't really think of it while I was watching it. :c
Purr~

Book Smarts

Julius

I don't ever rewatch stuff but... Well, I'm going to do it for Applejack. With this knowledge, I'm certain the episode will be a lot sweeter, sadder and finally, deeper. :')

Edit: Eeyup, a pair of tears. Odd how a little detail can change things so much, eh? I must say I appreciated it a lot more the second time. :)

And the song is growing on me even more (That means that it's becoming one of my favorite songs ever). lol

That was amazing.
Purr~

Book Smarts

Yeah, everything has to be placed in spoilers until Monday, after that, it's free game
I like how they made it a little wink for us older viewers, you know, so it isn't too dark for the younger crowd

Julius

Quote from: Book Smarts on 2012 Dec 23, 01:09:43
Yeah, everything has to be placed in spoilers until Monday, after that, it's free game
I like how they made it a little wink for us older viewers, you know, so it isn't too dark for the younger crowd

Indeed! It was the perfect way to do it.
Purr~

Tara

Why on Monday? Is that how it always works with episode spoilers?

I watched the episode again after reading the OP and that was such a sad scene to watch afterward. It definitely tugged at a few of my heart strings.  :s

I hope the writers will make an episode about it. I know it's supposed to be child friendly, but Full House made an episode like that to teach kids how to get through the death of a family member. Anyone else watch the episode when  that old man (I think he was Michelle's grandpa) passed away? It was so sad watching Michelle and one of her uncles go through it. :c

Perhaps maybe MLPFiM might decide to take the same risk?
I have no idea what the cutie mark of my ponysona should be yet, because in the real world I still have no idea what my passion is. :P

Shyan

There's no definitive proof that Sibsy's confirmation of the shooting stars connection to AJ's parents means her parents are deceased. It's assumed that her parents are deceased, in tandem with Lauren Faust's commentary, but it's not been made specifically canon yet.

My own theory is that Applejack's parents are not deceased, and are instead missing and/or out of contact with the Apple family. I found something very interesting in Applejack's segment in Cutie Mark Chronicles...

In Cutie Mark Chronicles...
A filly Applejack leaves behind the "muddly, old apple farm" for Manehattan, seeking a "sophisticated" life. There she meets her Aunt and Uncle Orange, and they took her in. At one point, a homesick Applejack looks out a window from her room. She mutterred what I believe is a very important line:

"*poorly imitates a rooster and sighs deeply* I wonder what Granny Smith and Big Macintosh are up to. I bet they're applebucking their way through the red delicious trees. Oh, what I wouldn't give for just one bite."

In whatever case, Applejack is homesick and she specifically mentions Granny Smith and Big Macintosh. However, the primary fact here is that she does not mention either of her own parents or Applebloom. Also, her parents are not seen at the farm waving farewell during Applejack's exit or happily greeting her return to the farm.

::::::

The only contradition I can identify here is if Applebloom was already born prior to Applejack getting her Cutie Mark by returning to the Apple farm. Under a specific scenario, if Applebloom was alive, she might have already been on the farm as a foal, meaning the parents could be considered deceased at this point. Based on previous experiences with foals, they seem to become very active within a month of birth and show some signs of common sense. Judging from Baby Cakes and Apple Family Reunion, foals are also shown to go outside, sometimes unsupervised. If Applebloom was born and a foal, she could have been there to meet Applejack's return to the farm. Since Applebloom was omitted from the exit and return scene, she was either convieniently asleep in the farmhouse, not born yet, or in the care of Applejack's parents.

There's another thing that eludes my logic is how Applebloom came to live on the farm... She obviously lives on the farm. Applebloom is Applejack/Big Macintosh's younger sister, so that means Applebloom was born from Applejack's parents. It's possible Applebloom was dropped on the farm at some point, but if it's any period around Applejack getting her Cutie Mark, she would at least be able to meet or remember her parents, if only momentarilly. If Applebloom was dropped off in the middle of the night or in a place Applejack/Big Mac could not meet their parents, it could be questioned if Applebloom is truely their sister and not a niece or relative or somepony they took in.

That comes back to the point why they weren't mentioned anywhere at anytime. The picture on the wall in the farm house (decipting a ponified version of the famous drawing: "American Gothic") isn't proof those were the parents. The confirmation that the shooting stars are a "tip of the hat" to Applejack's parents may or may not imply they are deceased. It could mean anything. The only "canon" proof supporting their deaths are from a commentary with Lauren Faust, stating that the parents are probably deceased. However, it's up to the show runners if they choose to allow Applejack to have living parents.
Until it is brought up in the show itself, I believe the fate of Applejack's parents are a mystery to all.

videogamehunter

Quote from: Shyan on 2012 Dec 23, 03:29:13
[spoiler]
There's no definitive proof that Sibsy's confirmation of the shooting stars connection to AJ's parents means her parents are deceased. It's assumed that her parents are deceased, in tandem with Lauren Faust's commentary, but it's not been made specifically canon yet.

My own theory is that Applejack's parents are not deceased, and are instead missing and/or out of contact with the Apple family. I found something very interesting in Applejack's segment in Cutie Mark Chronicles...

A filly Applejack leaves behind the "muddly, old apple farm" for Manehattan, seeking a "sophisticated" life. There she meets her Aunt and Uncle Orange, and they took her in. At one point, a homesick Applejack looks out a window from her room. She mutterred what I believe is a very important line:

"*poorly imitates a rooster and sighs deeply* I wonder what Granny Smith and Big Macintosh are up to. I bet they're applebucking their way through the red delicious trees. Oh, what I wouldn't give for just one bite."

In whatever case, Applejack is homesick and she specifically mentions Granny Smith and Big Macintosh. However, the primary fact here is that she does not mention either of her own parents or Applebloom. Also, her parents are not seen at the farm waving farewell during Applejack's exit or happily greeting her return to the farm.

The only contradition I can identify here is if Applebloom was already born prior to Applejack getting her Cutie Mark by returning to the Apple farm. Under a specific scenario, if Applebloom was alive, she might have already been on the farm as a foal, meaning the parents could be considered deceased at this point. Based on previous experiences with foals, they seem to become very active within a month of birth and show some signs of common sense. Judging from Baby Cakes and Apple Family Reunion, foals are also shown to go outside, sometimes unsupervised. If Applebloom was born and a foal, she could have been there to meet Applejack's return to the farm. Since Applebloom was omitted from the exit and return scene, she was either convieniently asleep in the farmhouse, not born yet, or in the care of Applejack's parents.

There's another thing that eludes my logic is how Applebloom came to live on the farm... She obviously lives on the farm. Applebloom is Applejack/Big Macintosh's younger sister, so that means Applebloom was born from Applejack's parents. It's possible Applebloom was dropped on the farm at some point, but if it's any period around Applejack getting her Cutie Mark, she would at least be able to meet or remember her parents, if only momentarilly. If Applebloom was dropped off in the middle of the night or in a place Applejack/Big Mac could not meet their parents, it could be questioned if Applebloom is truely their sister and not a niece or relative or somepony they took in.

That comes back to the point why they weren't mentioned anywhere at anytime. The picture on the wall in the farm house (decipting a ponified version of the famous drawing: "American Gothic") isn't proof those were the parents. The confirmation that the shooting stars are a "tip of the hat" to Applejack's parents may or may not imply they are deceased. It could mean anything. The only "canon" proof supporting their deaths are from a commentary with Lauren Faust, stating that the parents are probably deceased. However, it's up to the show runners if they choose to allow Applejack to have living parents.
Until it is brought up in the show itself, I believe the fate of Applejack's parents are a mystery to all.

[/quote]

You put alot thoughts into this, but anyway something tells me I need to watch the new episode again.

[/spoiler]

Tiger

I like how I never even noticed any shooting stars.

I have to wonder who the ponies are on the picture on the wall when Granny Smith was talking about past Apple Family Reunions.

From what Shyan's said though, I would think that AJ's parents were gone before she got her cutie mark, and it could be possible that Applebloom was already born before AJ's parents disappeared/died/etc. What I don't understand is why Granny smith wouldn't be holding Applebloom in her hoof while AJ was exiting and returning. Maybe AB was asleep in her crib?

I really do have to wonder what the age difference between AJ and AB is. It could be possible that they just adopted Applebloom and we don't know  :I

A link to my tumblr above!
Tiger's OC page. Should re-do it...

ComputerDeathglare

But something on the picture.

There is a picture of a mare in AJ's room that shares coloring with the mare in the ponified picture.
By Sulfur

dA
Tumblr (SFW)

Shyan

The picture on the wall seems to be a reference to "American Gothic", an artists interpretation of mens and womens roles in the 20th century. It's possible the ponies in the picture do not actually exist, but are instead the imagination of an artist.

Based on the two, they share very similar qualities, it's even the same house in the background. I don't think I've ever seen that building design anywhere, so it might simply be a peice of famous artwork.

The two pictures share some similarities, but it seems the coat and mane colors have reversed. It also decipts an Earth pony running on clouds, with flowers and a sun shining down on her. I believe it might be something Applejack or Applebloom painted, but I don't know who they drew, if it was somepony they knew.

If I had to make a wild assumption, at least one of the parents are alive and well. Like Applejack's motive to leave the farm for a sophisticated life, they might have had an ambition to leave the farm and their children behind, giving the responsibility to Granny Smith. All the children seems to have no recollection of their parents, since they are never directly referenced, but I think Granny Smith would have some kind of contact with her own children who borne Applejack, Big Mac, and Applebloom; especially since she watches over them. Granny Smith also recieved Applebloom at some point (in or out of the presence of Applejack and Big Mac), possibly earlier then Applebloom can remember in her infancy.

If at least one of the parents are alive, I think the reason the parents don't write or attend any of the Apple family traditions are because they are afraid of revealing themselves to the children, perhaps of fear of being rejected. If the parents were absent for practically their childrens entire lives, then suddenly appearing and claiming to be their parents... If the parents do have contact somehow with their mother, Granny Smith, they probably want to remain anonymous to the children or have the children consider them accidentally deceased.

I'm probably thinking far too hard into this. I have my doubts the parents will ever be addressed in the show, and leave the fandom to make their own assumptions and conclusions. I think it could make a strong "Applejack meets her parents for first time" episode, but that's for the writers to decide. Until then, I probably shouldn't lose sleep trying to form deep hypothesis' around her parents.

GuitarBrony

I think i lean towards the "deceased" theory. They make a very big deal about "everypony" coming for the reunion. I would imagine that, if this were the case, the parents would have been present, no matter where they happen to be, otherwise it would have been brought up that the parents were absent.

At the same time, both shooting star scenes had specifically 2 stars. That was a design choice, whether it was for consistency or as a subtle nod to the idea. Either way, it was deliberate.

Frankly, I doubt it will ever be addressed in the show (and very unlikely outside the show to be FULLY confirmed). However, at this point, I doubt we will ever be introduced to the Apple Parents. We've had TWO episodes now that DIRECTLY addressed the family dynamic/members of AJs household, and neither mentioned her parents. Whether or not this means something in the show, it's there. I'll just take it to mean the parents have passed on. At least until something definitive shows otherwise.

But this is just my own opinion.
My music channels. Stop by if you'd like.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCw5aZPezsQwcJP9T4D1mJ7w
https://soundcloud.com/someponywithaguitar
"I suppose it's just interest... devoid of substance or purpose; a hypothetical pattern... for the satisfaction of bringing it to completion."

Chishio Kunrin

Granny Smith: Who knows if they'll all be able to make it for the next one?
Shooting stars in the background
Applejack: That's true. Busy as everypony's lives are gettin' these days, chances are pretty slim we'll be this lucky next time around.

Due to that one little part of her line, I assume that her parents are way too busy to make it for reunions or be home.

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

Book Smarts

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2012 Dec 25, 06:11:52
Granny Smith: Who knows if they'll all be able to make it for the next one?
Shooting stars in the background
Applejack: That's true. Busy as everypony's lives are gettin' these days, chances are pretty slim we'll be this lucky next time around.

Due to that one little part of her line, I assume that her parents are way too busy to make it for reunions or be home.

I really hope this is true  :]

Blues-Music

That tweet could easily be photoshopped. The real sad thing is people believe everything they hear a show aimed at children has a 5% probability of being true.
Don't get me wrong it might be true , but to me its just a grimdark story.   

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Blues-Music on 2012 Dec 29, 07:13:28
That tweet could easily be photoshopped. The real sad thing is people believe everything they hear a show aimed at children has a 5% probability of being true.
Don't get me wrong it might be true , but to me its just a grimdark story.   

We believe it mainly because Lauren Faust herself has actually said before that she wanted to have that kind of thing about Applejack's parents, but it was felt that this was too dark to actually involve in the show. She couldn't figure out a good way to even imply it at the time.

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

Go Up