Dumb things that annoy you

Started by Zaner-Boy, 2012 Jun 01, 14:30:22

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Midnight Breeze

I went on Steam to see that the bioshock trilogy was on sale for 15 dollars this weekend. I already own the original bioshock, so I figured I would be able to buy the bundle and gift the original game to someone. However:

"NOTE: You already own one or more items in this bundle. If you purchase this bundle you WILL NOT receive another copy of said items!"

Darn you, Gaben.

Of course, I bought it anyway, since it was still cheaper than buying the two games I don't have individually.

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Midnight Breeze on 2014 May 11, 09:33:02
I went on Steam to see that the bioshock trilogy was on sale for 15 dollars this weekend. I already own the original bioshock, so I figured I would be able to buy the bundle and gift the original game to someone. However:

"NOTE: You already own one or more items in this bundle. If you purchase this bundle you WILL NOT receive another copy of said items!"

Darn you, Gaben.

Spoiler: show

Of course, I bought it anyway, since it was still cheaper than buying the two games I don't have individually.

That's like saying "You can't enter this contest to win a Wii U because you already own one." Well, maybe I'm entering so I can give it to a friend if I win.

Actually, nah, I enter stuff like that occasionally so I can sell it if I do win. :P But I wouldn't sell a Steam game to someone. That... uh... Actually, I don't know why I thought, for a second, that it could possibly be illegal. You own the game because you paid for it, right? Why not have the right to give it to someone or sell it to someone?

That's pretty much the problem I have with game companies wanting to try to find a way to control every little thing you do with a game you buy, by the way. I paid for it, I own it. What if a clothing store tried to dictate what I do with my clothes and tell me that I can't let my friend borrow my shirt or give my old shirt away as a hand-me-down? Uh, excuse me, I bought the shirt, it's my property now.

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

MrEmu

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2014 May 11, 13:50:15

Darn you, Gaben.

[spoiler]

[/quote]
That's like saying "You can't enter this contest to win a Wii U because you already own one." Well, maybe I'm entering so I can give it to a friend if I win.

Actually, nah, I enter stuff like that occasionally so I can sell it if I do win. :P But I wouldn't sell a Steam game to someone. That... uh... Actually, I don't know why I thought, for a second, that it could possibly be illegal. You own the game because you paid for it, right? Why not have the right to give it to someone or sell it to someone?

That's pretty much the problem I have with game companies wanting to try to find a way to control every little thing you do with a game you buy, by the way. I paid for it, I own it. What if a clothing store tried to dictate what I do with my clothes and tell me that I can't let my friend borrow my shirt or give my old shirt away as a hand-me-down? Uh, excuse me, I bought the shirt, it's my property now.
[/quote][/spoiler] I think when you PAY for a game you should GET the game...

A friend of mine was on the beta testing team for Elder Scrolls Online and she really wanted to play it, now they JUST released it and she looked at the pricing...

$60.00 to BUY the game OR
$100.00 for the 'imperial' version

after those extortionate prices you STILL need to pay $15.00 a month to play the game, no single player so $15.00 a month or no game...

AFTER THAT they STILL have a in-game cash store where you can buy cool items for real money...

My friend tried to get me to play this game but 1: I'm not really into those violent games though. and 2: if I PAY $60.00 for a game I want to play it...let that $60.00 be the catalyst to paying more...

Ever wonder why I play games Like Animal crossing? $35.00 then it's yours for life...

Midnight Breeze

Quote from: MrEmu on 2014 May 11, 20:56:39

I think when you PAY for a game you should GET the game...

A friend of mine was on the beta testing team for Elder Scrolls Online and she really wanted to play it, now they JUST released it and she looked at the pricing...

after those extortionate prices you STILL need to pay $15.00 a month to play the game, no single player so $15.00 a month or no game...

AFTER THAT they STILL have a in-game cash store where you can buy cool items for real money...

My friend tried to get me to play this game but 1: I'm not really into those violent games though. and 2: if I PAY $60.00 for a game I want to play it...let that $60.00 be the catalyst to paying more...

Ever wonder why I play games Like Animal crossing? $35.00 then it's yours for life...

MMORPGs are different. Unlike single player games or community-hosted multiplayer games (Like TF2) the creators have to endure the constant expense of running multiple high-quality servers hosting hundreds or thousands of players at a time. That ain't cheap. They simply have to have a constant source of income, either subscriptions or microtransactions. No income no MMORPG.

Zsaszz

Quote from: Midnight Breeze on 2014 May 11, 21:07:53

I think when you PAY for a game you should GET the game...

MMORPGs are different. Unlike single player games or community-hosted multiplayer games (Like TF2) the creators have to endure the constant expense of running multiple high-quality servers hosting hundreds or thousands of players at a time. That ain't cheap. They simply have to have a constant source of income, either subscriptions or microtransactions. No income no MMORPG.

Ya but some companies take it too far sometimes, TES online is a good example, is a monthly pay subscription and to get the best u have to buy the "imperial" version (profit+profit), guild wars u only have to buy the game, no monthly payment but is a pay to win game.
But it's true they need some kind of income to keep the servers working. They only need to be more subtle on how they collect that income.

Midnight Breeze

Quote from: Zsaszz on 2014 May 11, 21:17:32
They only need to be more subtle on how they collect that income.

The only way to be 'subtle' about taking people's money is pickpocketing.

You can't 'subtly' collect revenue. You either use a paygate or peddle in-game items. There's no way to do those things halfway.

Zsaszz

Quote from: Midnight Breeze on 2014 May 11, 22:38:17

The only way to be 'subtle' about taking people's money is pickpocketing.

You can't 'subtly' collect revenue. You either use a paygate or peddle in-game items. There's no way to do those things halfway.

The truth is.... I cant argue that, the only thing that I saw bad about this system is when they make games and u have to: either pay to get the good stuff or play and work your way playing 200 hours to get an item that u can get by paying 10$ since the beginning like planetside 2, im not against paying in a game, after all thats the purpose of the developers, but when they have the gap between the payers and the non-payers that big, is just annoying :/.

MrEmu

Quote from: Midnight Breeze on 2014 May 11, 21:07:53No income no MMORPG.
True as this is, it's still almost WRONG how much you need to pay for the game. if you got the game in it's REGULAR version and played for a year WITHOUT buying something at the cash store it ends up to $240.00, you could buy thousandths of dollars worth of stuff on steam if you get them on sales. you said the bioshock trilogy on sale for $15! think how far you cloud make $240.00 go...

Midnight Breeze

Quote from: MrEmu on 2014 May 12, 01:06:53
True as this is, it's still almost WRONG how much you need to pay for the game. if you got the game in it's REGULAR version and played for a year WITHOUT buying something at the cash store it ends up to $240.00, you could buy thousandths of dollars worth of stuff on steam if you get them on sales. you said the bioshock trilogy on sale for $15! think how far you cloud make $240.00 go...

That's opinion. Some people get so much entertainment from MMORPGs that it's worth the 200+ dollars a year. Believe me, I used to be a huge WoW addict. It was the ONLY game I played when I was 18-20. In fact it was practically my entire entertainment budged, so I think I was getting a pretty good deal. If you only play one MMORPG and get continual satisfaction from it then it's worth every penny.

Consider it like this: A single player game takes, what a week to complete for an average gamer? (I complete games in 1-3 days, but still...) If you want to keep your gameplay fresh then you'd be buying 2-4 games a month. If you buy 20 dollar games then that's 40-80 dollars a month spent on gaming.

If MMORPGs are able to maintain millions of subscribers despite the need for subscription then they are obviously doing something right. Many MMORPGs are not worth the price, but it's up to the consumer to decide what a game is worth to them. That's how capitalism works: if the devs don't deliver content to justify its price tag then no one will play their game and it will die off. Many MMORPGs have done just that. Others have flourished.

MrEmu

Quote from: Midnight Breeze on 2014 May 12, 01:42:12it's up to the consumer to decide what a game is worth to them
"anything is worth what it's purchaser will pay for it" Very very true...

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

A dumb thing that annoys ME is when you say something to someone and their reply is "Nope, No, Wrong, Ext." and then say nothing more.
I mean if you're GOING to tell me I'm wrong tell me HOW I am...not just a single word telling me how wrong I am...

Jaywo

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2014 May 11, 13:50:15

Darn you, Gaben.

[spoiler]

[/quote][/spoiler] I think when you PAY for a game you should GET the game...

[/quote]

That's just like WoW,
I admit I played that time-creeper a few months ago, but the prices are what really got me.
Not only is the price to buy ALL the story expansion packs (because you need all of them just to play the game), and that the only thing they haven't done is require you to buy the newest release to re-gain accesses to the servers, but in feel that ever since TV series like the Big Bang theory have been casually mentioning the game, Blizzard has been kicking up the prices. :c
Quote from: Jaywo on 2014 May 12, 13:03:14
*Begins whipping around the MEGAPERMBANHAMMER and whacks innocents, sending them into MEGAPERMBANOBLIVION*

SUPERULTRAMEGAPERMBANYOUCANTEVENBEGINTOAWESOMENESSBANRAINBOWSHAMMER

PrincessButton

Waiting to continue my training and having to call the store a billion times to ask if there's any information for me... They should just call ME. ugh.  >:/
[Avatar drawn by Dusky Hues; Thank you!]

Midnight Breeze

Any and all use of the phrase 'book smart'.

PrincessButton

[Avatar drawn by Dusky Hues; Thank you!]

Book Smarts

Quote from: Midnight Breeze on 2014 May 12, 13:31:48
Any and all use of the phrase 'book smart'.

What? DD:

Coffee with chocolate chip brownies don't mix well together for breakfast...

ManeFlame

Quote from: Jaywo on 2014 May 12, 08:04:04
That's just like WoW,
I admit I played that time-creeper a few months ago, but the prices are what really got me.
Not only is the price to buy ALL the story expansion packs (because you need all of them just to play the game), and that the only thing they haven't done is require you to buy the newest release to re-gain accesses to the servers, but in feel that ever since TV series like the Big Bang theory have been casually mentioning the game, Blizzard has been kicking up the prices. :c

Eh? Monthly fee hasn't changed at all. The game prices for the new ones are same as always, and the non newest ones can be purchased as a set for, like $25 tops.  o.O I mean, if you don't want to spend that much, it's fine, but they've actually been good at lowering prices. The in game store for mounts and services, on the other hand....

Anyways... here's one for annoyance. Being denied partial unemployment while at 25 hours a week because your job told the office that "there's no hour decrease, all employees are still totally getting 35-40 hours a week."
Really? Then why am I getting 23, scheduled for 28. So why did everyone else get accepted for the unemployment, huh? Lying to a government office. Tsk tsk tsk.

Jaywo

Quote from: ManeFlame on 2014 May 12, 14:44:57The in game store for mounts and services, on the other hand....

That's exact ally what I meant, for pixelated images and a bit of coding, those things are ridiculously pricey.
*Begins whipping around the MEGAPERMBANHAMMER and whacks innocents, sending them into MEGAPERMBANOBLIVION*

Pipkin

When you have 3 hours to sleep in a night, only really sleep for one of them, have to work a 10 hour shift and you find out your store is out of energy drinks(Coffee apparently does nothing for me after my 4th cup....)

Now if you excuse me, i'm gonna curl up in my bed and die  X3

LostSanity

When I lose my hearing in my left ear and have to go to the doctor to get it cleaned so I can hear again.

:(
[shadow=gray,left]I'M ONLY HAPPY WHEN IT REIGNS[/shadow]

The Roman Reigns of the forum

Jaywo

When you have a cold and then you go on a plane.. DD:

Go Up