The MLP toys franchise - what do you think of it?

Started by Mumble, 2014 Jun 17, 10:16:20

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Mumble

(I was unsure which forum I should put this in, so feel free to move it to a more appropriate place, if this was the wrong one! <3 )

I really don't like the MLP Friendship is Magic franchise. More often than not, the ponies have weird eyes, and their colorings are all off, and they just look.. really weird.

Since I was a wittle girl I collected MLP ponies. I've loved all generations to bits, but they're in surprisingly good shape (got played with A LOT), and their homely cozy look is something that kept me buying them for fun and giggles even as an adult. But... The newest ponies are so weird. I love Lauren Fausts design for the series, but they've not been done justice in the toy-line, in my opinion!

Am I the only one who feels this way?  :0

Ramisha

Nope, I'm with you. Their poses are too dynamic and the hair colors are all wrong...
And their horns! Gah! Those are infant horns

-ReiMar-

I always get the feeling that these low quality toys are just reshaped and recolored Barbie toys. Houses, ponies, cars, EG dolls...I guess they make quite a lot of money. Spend little money on production and lil' girls will buy it anyway.
Bronies do stuff way better. Cause they put HEART in it)) ^^
^-^

Mumble

Quote from: -ReiMar- on 2014 Jun 17, 11:48:52
I always get the feeling that these low quality toys are just reshaped and recolored Barbie toys. Houses, ponies, cars, EG dolls...I guess they make quite a lot of money. Spend little money on production and lil' girls will buy it anyway.
^-^

I just can't help feeling the old MLP toys were made of sturdier stuff, and they didn't have crossed-eyes and whatnot. Haha.

Post Merge

Quote from: Ramisha on 2014 Jun 17, 10:52:51
Nope, I'm with you. Their poses are too dynamic and the hair colors are all wrong...
And their horns! Gah! Those are infant horns

Phew, I'm glad I'm not alone in this. Some of the smaller figures, the all-plastic ones are much closer to the original design and I like them. But I'd have loved to keep adding to my MLP collection, but I just can't stand the look of them the way they are now!  :s

-ReiMar-

Quote from: Mumble on 2014 Jun 17, 12:49:28
^-^

I just can't help feeling the old MLP toys were made of sturdier stuff, and they didn't have crossed-eyes and whatnot. Haha.

"Ya youngers don't do stuff properly no more! In my days, toys were made way more sturdier!". XD
lol

Mumble

Quote from: -ReiMar- on 2014 Jun 17, 12:52:44
Quote from: Mumble on 2014 Jun 17, 12:49:28
^-^

"Ya youngers don't do stuff properly no more! In my days, toys were made way more sturdier!". XD
lol

That's how I feel when it comes to the pony toys. *waves walking stick* But honest. Of all the pony shows... This one is by far the best one. BY FAR!  :nod:

-ReiMar-

Chishio Kunrin

To be honest, it seems to me like Hasbro has been really cheap on toy production and doesn't really care too much about the toys being very show-accurate. Maybe they think because the show is doing great, they don't need to put much effort into the toys anymore.

I'm still kind of annoyed that the blindbag figures of Fluttershy use the same exact model as the Rainbow Dash blindbag figures.

This even carries over to the cards that come with them:
Spoiler: Explain to me why Fluttershy's eyes are dark green in this image. • show

Not to mention they kept making the Celestia toys pink until they came up with Cadence.

I've seen a special kind of bad quality in two of the Rainbow Power sets.
Spoiler: There is something seriously wrong with these Daring Do and Derpy Hooves toys... • show

All the other figures from the Rainbow Power sets are pretty good, but those two are warped or something.

Also, compare fan-made pony plushes to this:
Spoiler: I will haunt your nightmares. • show

4DE's totally adorable Twilight Sparkle plush will cure your fear, though:
Spoiler: show

If you want really good quality MLP merch, it's often best to look somewhere other than Hasbro. 4th Dimension Entertainment (4DE) is coming out with excellent pony plushes. They're a lot like fan-made plushes, but they only cost $25 instead of, like, $100+. I'm gonna get their Pinkie Pie.~

As for pony figures, Funko has been making some awesome ones. They have vinyl figures, bobbleheads, cupcake ponies, and mystery mini figures. The vinyl figures are excellent. I have some.

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

-ReiMar-

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2014 Jun 17, 17:39:17
To be honest, it seems to me like Hasbro has been really cheap on toy production and doesn't really care too much about the toys being very show-accurate. Maybe they think because the show is doing great, they don't need to put much effort into the toys anymore.

I'm still kind of annoyed that the blindbag figures of Fluttershy use the same exact model as the Rainbow Dash blindbag figures.

Spoiler: Explain to me why Fluttershy's eyes are dark green in this image. • show

Not to mention they kept making the Celestia toys pink until they came up with Cadence.

Spoiler: There is something seriously wrong with these Daring Do and Derpy Hooves toys... • show

All the other figures from the Rainbow Power sets are pretty good, but those two are warped or something.

If you want really good quality MLP merch, it's often best to look somewhere other than Hasbro. 4th Dimension Entertainment (4DE) is coming out with excellent pony plushes. They're a lot like fan-made plushes, but they only cost $25 instead of, like, $100+. I'm gonna get their Pinkie Pie.~

As for pony figures, Funko has been making some awesome ones. They have vinyl figures, bobbleheads, cupcake ponies, and mystery mini figures. The vinyl figures are excellent. I have some.

I'm gonna get Raibow Dash and Daring Do merchandise)) ^^ I even preordered Daring Do adventure book)
Also, I'm getting a book with Serpent Scale in it~ Exited~~
:D

Mumble

Loved your post. So intelligent and to the point and it ventured exactly into the heart of the matter that I react to! It's like the toy makers don't even care, and that's a step in a really weird direction, I think. Disney has been known to make barbies and whatnot for their movies, but they've started to really try to make them look alike. So I think it's really odd that Hasbro is moving backwards where other toy lines are trying to get better.  :nod:

Bro1997

2014 Aug 02, 21:44:28 #10 Last Edit: 2014 Aug 02, 21:47:12 by Bro1997
I think the ponies they make now are just fine. They aren't as big though as G1 and G3 so in a way they are about in the middle between the size of G2 (The smallest) and G3 (Little Larger). I also liked how G3 ponies had magnets on one of the hoofs so you could place them on any surface that is magnetic. At least G4 had a tail that you can brush unlike G2's which is hard (Kind of like the ones McDonald's have in MLP Happy Meals Toys where the mane is brush able but not the tail). I do wish the ponies were a little larger because G3 ponies look very cute and are squishy as well when you push against them. Nevertheless, G4 ponies are good but just some minor problems. I prefer however to collect MLP plushies instead. lol

Post Merge

Quote from: Mumble on 2014 Jun 18, 05:47:40

Loved your post. So intelligent and to the point and it ventured exactly into the heart of the matter that I react to! It's like the toy makers don't even care, and that's a step in a really weird direction, I think. Disney has been known to make barbies and whatnot for their movies, but they've started to really try to make them look alike. So I think it's really odd that Hasbro is moving backwards where other toy lines are trying to get better.  :nod:

Hasbro doesn't seem to be doing well on the stock markets, being in the red a lot! I'm concerned about their sales.

Go Up