why is this show so popular?

Started by Liacorn, 2013 Jul 21, 06:02:14

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Liacorn

I know it is a kid's show but now it became a community that i am proudly part of, but my question still remains... why? ovO :o

Chishio Kunrin

2013 Jul 21, 06:49:21 #1 Last Edit: 2013 Jul 21, 06:52:12 by Chishio Kunrin
Cartoons these days aren't as good as the ones we had in the 90s and early 2000s. A lot of us yearn for those old cartoons. MLP:FiM is actually pretty much the same quality as the cartoons we miss so much.

It has good plots with conflict, both internal and external.
It doesn't treat the audience like we're stupid with over-simplified plots and dialogue.
The animation, voice acting, singing, and songs are actually very good.
They don't dumb down the dialogue. They're not afraid to have characters say big words that many very young children wouldn't know.
Despite the target demographic being little girls, they made it with the entire family in mind. A lot of our favorite old cartoons had things in them for the teens and adults to notice and had references that most kids wouldn't recognize. MLP:FiM also has that.
The characters are actually well-developed unlike some current cartoons' characters. They don't have flat personalities, and they often don't go overboard with their personality types.
Lauren Faust said that she wanted the show to be gender neutral and not perpetuate stereotypes.

Basically, it's not overdose-on-sugary-sweet super sparkly pink girly, it's not bash-my-head-on-a-wall mind-numbingly simple and childish, and it's not a lazy boring uncreative thrown-together pile of junk. It's a well-made cartoon made for the entire family, reminiscent of the good ol' days when Cartoon Network actually showed great cartoons, Nickelodeon wasn't lame and also actually showed cartoons, and Disney Channel wasn't lame and superficial.

This isn't Dora the Explorer. This also isn't Little Einsteins, Special Agent Oso, or any other Disney Junior drivel.

At least, that's pretty much my take on why we love it so much. X3

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

Asterian Starfall

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2013 Jul 21, 06:49:21
Cartoons these days aren't as good as the ones we had in the 90s and early 2000s. A lot of us yearn for those old cartoons. MLP:FiM is actually pretty much the same quality as the cartoons we miss so much.

It has good plots with conflict, both internal and external.
It doesn't treat the audience like we're stupid with over-simplified plots and dialogue.
The animation, voice acting, singing, and songs are actually very good.
They don't dumb down the dialogue. They're not afraid to have characters say big words that many very young children wouldn't know.
Despite the target demographic being little girls, they made it with the entire family in mind. A lot of our favorite old cartoons had things in them for the teens and adults to notice and had references that most kids wouldn't recognize. MLP:FiM also has that.
The characters are actually well-developed unlike some current cartoons' characters. They don't have flat personalities, and they often don't go overboard with their personality types.
Lauren Faust said that she wanted the show to be gender neutral and not perpetuate stereotypes.

Basically, it's not overdose-on-sugary-sweet super sparkly pink girly, it's not bash-my-head-on-a-wall mind-numbingly simple and childish, and it's not a lazy boring uncreative thrown-together pile of junk. It's a well-made cartoon made for the entire family, reminiscent of the good ol' days when Cartoon Network actually showed great cartoons, Nickelodeon wasn't lame and also actually showed cartoons, and Disney Channel wasn't lame and superficial.

This isn't Dora the Explorer. This also isn't Little Einsteins, Special Agent Oso, or any other Disney Junior drivel.

At least, that's pretty much my take on why we love it so much. X3

You managed to take my script for a 25 minute Youtube video I was planning and shorten the explanation down to about 120 seconds... *Deletes the script*
"Luck is how you explain an overly-variabled scenario that went in your favor." - Asterian Élire Starfall

Mizuki

I find it odd that a family show like Adventure Time is "allowed" to be popular, but if MLP is popular, then people feel the need to question it  :s

Basically, I agree with Chishio Kunrin! Though I will say that 90's cartoons and 2000's cartoons had their fair share of garbage too! :3 Very few of my beloved childhood shows are able to stand the test of time... (Though some were actually better than I originally thought they were!)

Not to be confused with Zukiuke

imafilly

My guess as to how it started was some kid saw his little sister watching it and secretly recorded it behind a couch and posted it on youtube, finding himself dreaming about mlp that night. The next morning he decides to watch an episode and gets hooked. He starts posting mlp videos on his already popular youtube channel, making fun of it, even though he secretly likes it. Then others start to watch it, (boys i mean), and then POOF! THE BRONIES ARE BORN!  :P

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: imafilly on 2013 Jul 29, 19:54:17
My guess as to how it started was some kid saw his little sister watching it and secretly recorded it behind a couch and posted it on youtube, finding himself dreaming about mlp that night. The next morning he decides to watch an episode and gets hooked. He starts posting mlp videos on his already popular youtube channel, making fun of it, even though he secretly likes it. Then others start to watch it, (boys i mean), and then POOF! THE BRONIES ARE BORN!  :P

o.O
Someone probably watched it with their little sister, and then went to... Well, the craze actually started on a certain infamous image board website, when someone said that they actually like the show. More people on that site started watching it, and it eventually spread beyond that website.

About the Youtube channel, are you talking about TheBaglady74? He started doing Non-Brony Commentary because he lost a bet with his brony friend.

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

imafilly

Well, what if after the kids youtube channel, one of the viewers went onto that website and that is when it started. Also, i'm not quoting any brony in particular, i just have an imagination.  0:) I hope i dont sound rude, but thats my opinion.
Quote from: imafilly on 2013 Jul 29, 19:54:17

flafy8

Well there is something about it thats really fun, I dont ask why.. Because I believe that things like these happen with no need for us to question it  X3
Cross my heart I hope to fly, Stick a cupcake in my eye!

GoldenTerrabyte

Because it has characters with full and diverse personalities, interesting stories, and an ADORABLE art style. Even the villains are cute to an extent. Except for Sombra. That guy's creepy.
I'm back

Comet Trail

Fausticorn, Want it need it spell, 'Nuff said.
Prepare your eye sockets for visual delights and good time shenanigans!

Reagal Packard

well it might be because of so many people stumbling upon it and seeing that its so good that they might want to keep watching :D

Go Up