Forum rules lack specification on the subject of excessive use of emotion icons.

Started by Lemon1b, 2015 Jul 05, 19:27:35

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Lemon1b

I really think the forum rules need work.There is literally no specification about what classifies as excessive use of emotional icons, like no more then 1 emotional icon per text line, no emotional icons in the middle of the sentence, or the forum moderators highly discourage the use of more than 3 emotional icons per post. I think this problem is also present in the rest of rules. I believe that in order to avoid any further misinterpretation of the forum rules, each of them should have a visible, understandable and measured boarder. Thank you for your attention. :D And the emotes seems to affect the text position, now that is really annoying.

Pipkin

While it is true that the rules don't clearly state what constitutes emote spam, we ask that people be reasonable with how they use forum features like emotes and scrolling text.  In the case that a moderator feels that the use of those features is excessive, it falls under rule #11, along with rule #3, based on their discretion at the time.  Personally, my idea of "reasonable" is no more than maybe 4 emotes per post, unless you post nothing but emotes, which falls under rule #5.  While we understand the lack of clarity in this regard can be agitating to some, it's not very realistic to explicitly state in the rules that you can only post 'x' emotes per 'y' words per post as that would be extremely restrictive.

That being said, emote spamming in particular, especially first time offenses, are dealt with very lightly by the moderation team.  In most cases it's just a simple edit and a friendly reminder not to be excessive with using them in future posts.  However, we will look over the rules and make any edits we feel are necessary to minimize this happening.  It's very difficult having a set of rules balanced between being restrictive and being too vague.

In any case if you need clarification on, or have any questions regarding, any of the rules please feel free to PM one of the moderators and we'll answer your questions to the best of our ability.

Lemon1b

Thanks for the reply Darcy.But I still think that the mods should work on an "Acceptable use for emotes" pattern. As I understand there are 2 type of unacceptable emote spam, the senseless spam and the overemotional spam.The rules covers completely the senseless spamming, but it dosent set any visible borders for overemotional posts, some people like to express too many feelings at once and they get hurt when they are accused of spamming, considering that they showed, what they think, their true feelings. But if I will have any questions on any other rule, I will definitely ask you, Darcy. Thanks in advance.

Perry The Pony

We try to not have as strict of forum rules as most.  We do not want to limit the creativity and expression of the users of the forums.  I do not see the need for proper use and guidelines for a forum feature we offer as something to add to your post.

Until the feature is fully abused we will continue with the way we monitor police the forums.

If a feature is abused, it is simply removed.

~Perry
Moderation Department Team Lead

Lemon1b

It still wont hurt to have a better definition for abuse.But do what you think is best, chief.

Go Up