Why Spike's episodes fail?

Started by Icy Shield, 2015 Sep 07, 08:30:44

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Icy Shield

Like everytime when he is main character of the episode, they are ussualy are quite bad. But when he is not main focus he shows probably the best of his character: supportive, smart, loyal with mix of funny, sarcastic, childish and selfish sometimes. I especially like Spike in Season1-2 and in S3 premiere.

Let it snow!

Mizuki

I  totally agree! Which is a shame because I actually really like Spike.

To be honest, I think the writers just don't know what to do with him? Which is ridiculous to me because, well. He's a baby dragon! A baby dragon raised by Ponies! A baby dragon living in a world in which dragons themselves are a mystery to Pony-kind!

How are the episodes not writing themselves?? ono Because that is some delicious material right there.

Sorry for the outburst, I just. I always thought dragons were cool, (and in MLP they have such cool designs) and yet MLP staff chooses to do absolutely nothing with them. :c

Not to be confused with Zukiuke

McClaw

I see it a bit like how Applejack is treated. When not in the spotlight, both characters are supportive and competent. Putting them as the lead will have them outshining the others, dealing with problems that look invented for those episodes because they never show up otherwise, or "holding the idiot ball" and acting out of character.
Watch for "Census Taker" (pegasus), "Chuck Wagon" (earth pony), and "Bug Hunter" (unicorn).

Moon Pearl

Quote from: McClaw on 2015 Sep 08, 08:09:19
I see it a bit like how Applejack is treated. When not in the spotlight, both characters are supportive and competent. Putting them as the lead will have them outshining the others, dealing with problems that look invented for those episodes because they never show up otherwise, or "holding the idiot ball" and acting out of character.

I find Spike quite annoying, and when there's an Spike centered episode, I usually watch it only once before banging my head in the wall. So far EVERY SINGLE SPIKE EPISODE has been a big let down, not even "Equestria Games" moment of glory he had with the Ice Archery incident helped for that matter.
Spike's head like a frying pan made of Teflon, no matter what he learns, nothing glues to the surface, all slides out of his brain. I'd say "kill him with Fire" but Spike is impervious to it and Lava  >.<

All Units. Battle Formation. Break Through the Front

Misty Morning Dew

I agree with Mizuki. Spike has a lot of potential to be a great character on his own. The writers just don't seem to see it or are just ignoring it.

I like Spike, hopefully he gets a chance to really shine.

Moon Pearl

Quote from: Misty Morning Dew on 2015 Sep 14, 19:08:17
I agree with Mizuki. Spike has a lot of potential to be a great character on his own. The writers just don't seem to see it or are just ignoring it.

I like Spike, hopefully he gets a chance to really shine.

He had one already in 'The Crystal Empire' but unlike Fluttershy's episodes, that revolves in her flaws but in different ways, always giving her the chance to overcome them, and even if the same issue resurfaces, is in a different focus, both in how it is presented and how it's fixed. With Spike, he never, EVER learns something, and if he does, future episodes never truly shown he even did. That's MHO.

All Units. Battle Formation. Break Through the Front

Go Up