Dumb things that annoy you

Started by Zaner-Boy, 2012 Jun 01, 14:30:22

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Lord of Madness

When my teacher would not understand that if they don't give me a word limit, my report would be 12 pages long

Chishio Kunrin

Another little teensy anime-related rant, if that's ok with you... :( You see, one thing that angers annoys me is, well...

4KIDS! >:O So many of their edits don't make any sense, it's completely stupid! What do they have against rice balls, especially in Pokemon, huh?! No, Brock, that's not a jelly filled donut. I never believed you, not even when I was a child.
Spoiler: show

Why did they edit out 99% of the words in Sonic X?? :/ Japanese version on left, 4Kids version on right.

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

Book Smarts

In the first Yu-Gi-Oh series, Funimation censored guns out of the english version and never replaced them with anything

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Book Smarts on 2012 Jul 06, 22:30:46
In the first Yu-Gi-Oh series, Funimation censored guns out of the english version and never replaced them with anything

Lulz. In One Piece, 4Kids took away a guy's cigars but never edited out the smoke he exhaled, so it was like he had the ability to randomly breathe smoke. Like he was part dragon or something. Yet when they took away another character's cigars, they edited his smoke out. I'd post the video, but it also shows how they edited out blood and um. the lines on women's chests.

Book Smarts

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2012 Jul 06, 22:33:20
Quote from: Book Smarts on 2012 Jul 06, 22:30:46

Lulz. In One Piece, 4Kids took away a guy's cigars but never edited out the smoke he exhaled, so it was like he had the ability to randomly breathe smoke. Like he was part dragon or something. Yet when they took away another character's cigars, they edited his smoke out. I'd post the video, but it also shows how they edited out blood and um. the lines on women's chests.

Chishio Kunrin

2012 Jul 06, 23:10:35 #805 Last Edit: 2012 Jul 06, 23:12:45 by Chishio Kunrin
Eeyup. Sometimes, I wish I could force 4Kids to shut down. That, and Kidz Bop. Ugh, Kidz Bop... :l And apparently, Kidz Bop now also includes songs that contain explicit language such as Girlfriend by Avril Lavigne and Party Rock Anthem by LMFAO.

Also, now is a bad time to storm, weather! >:O I'm watching a Let's Play of Amnesia: The Dark Descent, and I do not need thunder and falling tree limbs in the background! Especially since this storm is weird. >.< 'Round here, storm clouds often move eastward. This one is moving westward! What the hay?!

lurk852

2012 Jul 06, 23:18:29 #806 Last Edit: 2012 Jul 06, 23:20:08 by lurk852
I dunno... 4Kids sometimes falls into the "so awful it's funny" category. Example: the ridiculous opening song for the English dub of One Piece. Their stuff makes great YTP fodder, too.

But believe it or not, 4Kids doesn't do the worst anime localizations in the world. That honor undeniably falls to whoever did German Naruto:

Spoiler: warning: can cause permanent brain scars • show

Oh, and for another example... in the German version, they edited out all the weapons. Including that one part with a guy standing on a sword stuck in a tree. In that version, he just floats in midair. Not to mention some of the other censorship ("he took his entire clan hostage!")
"The passions are, and ought only to be the slave of reason." - David Hume

Chishio Kunrin

And I thought American Naruto was bad. :x I remember how upset my friend was by how the characters talk in Shippuden, saying stuff like "Cripes!" and "Son of a gun!" to edit out cussing. I was always frustrated with "elixir" and "Loopy Fist".

lurk852

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2012 Jul 06, 23:25:14
And I thought American Naruto was bad. :x I remember how upset my friend was by how the characters talk in Shippuden, saying stuff like "Cripes!" and "Son of a gun!" to edit out cussing. I was always frustrated with "elixir" and "Loopy Fist".

I'm pretty sure there's an uncut version of English Shippuuden out there somewhere; I watched a bit, and it definitely didn't seem censored to me.

Speaking of which, and slightly more on-topic: the Shippuuden anime. All of it. In every language. "Slow" would be a colossal understatement.

Chishio Kunrin

2012 Jul 06, 23:36:56 #809 Last Edit: 2012 Jul 06, 23:40:14 by Chishio Kunrin
Quote from: lurk852 on 2012 Jul 06, 23:31:31

I'm pretty sure there's an uncut version of English Shippuuden out there somewhere; I watched a bit, and it definitely didn't seem censored to me.

Speaking of which, and slightly more on-topic: the Shippuuden anime. All of it. In every language. "Slow" would be a colossal understatement.

I eventually realized that Naruto wasn't my thing sometime around the end of 9th grade (Naruto came around when I was in middle school). However, my aforementioned friend and some people I would later befriend were still into Naruto way into 12th grade. Even though I was no longer a fan and was clueless about the story arcs they talked about...

it still annoyed me to no end when they mispronounced things. Like my friend pronouncing kunai "koonay" and this one girl pronouncing Sasori's name "Sassery". If you're gonna be into anime, try to learn how to pronounce Japanese words properly or other anime fans will be on your flank about it. And please don't call a character named Gin "Jeen". You're thinking of alcohol. Stop it.

#1 thing that annoys most anime fans: Pronouncing manga "maynga". If you go to an anime club and you say "maynga", everyone's gonna stop you mid-sentence with "MANGA. >:/"

lurk852

2012 Jul 06, 23:51:11 #810 Last Edit: 2012 Jul 06, 23:52:56 by lurk852
Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2012 Jul 06, 23:36:56
Quote from: lurk852 on 2012 Jul 06, 23:31:31

I eventually realized that Naruto wasn't my thing sometime around the end of 9th grade (Naruto came around when I was in middle school). However, my aforementioned friend and some people I would later befriend were still into Naruto way into 12th grade. Even though I was no longer a fan and was clueless about the story arcs they talked about...

it still annoyed me to no end when they mispronounced things. Like my friend pronouncing kunai "koonay" and this one girl pronouncing Sasori's name "Sassery". If you're gonna be into anime, try to learn how to pronounce Japanese words properly or other anime fans will be on your flank about it. And please don't call a character named Gin "Jeen". You're thinking of alcohol. Stop it.

#1 thing that annoys most anime fans: Pronouncing manga "maynga". If you go to an anime club and you say "maynga", everyone's gonna stop you mid-sentence with "MANGA. >:/"

That stuff used to bug me a lot too, but it doesn't quite so much any more, mostly because I did a bit of reading up on Japanese phonology. The thing is, there's a lot of word-butchering going on even when it might sound correct. Common examples occur when people try to pronounce a Japanese word with more than one "a" sound in a series. For example, technically "manga" would be pronounced "mawn-gah", not "mawn-guh" as is usually done. It gets even more screwed up with names like "Tanaka", which isn't "tuh-nah-kuh".

Another example is the "o" sound in Japanese words - it's "o" as in "cold", not "cone". To English-speakers, this is pretty counterintuitive.

I think this kind of mispronunciation might even be necessary. If you pay attention to the rules and pronounce those words correctly (within English sentences), they often sound pretty bizarre, and not in a good way. (Heck, as long as we're talking about Naruto, Sasuke's English VA usually pronounces characters' names right, and it sometimes sounds pretty weird.)

[/closet linguistics nerd rant]  X3

Chishio Kunrin

Ah. Hmm. It kind of annoyed me that, in the English dub of GetBackers, for several episodes, they pronounced one of the main character's last name wrong. His last name is spelled Midou. They kept saying "Meedow", with "ow" like in.. well... ow. The sound you make when you're in pain. I was like "It's Meedoh! MeedOH!" Or at least, Meedoh is the closest sound to the correct pronunciation.

Finally, several episodes in, they suddenly switched to pronouncing it Meedoh, but they still kept calling Ginji "Genji", which was actually less aggravating. Anyway, this is perhaps the mildest of my complaints about the GetBackers anime, as I've ranted about before.

Though, you mentioned English VAs having problems with words with more than one a in them. They actually didn't have too much trouble with the name Akabane.

lurk852

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2012 Jul 07, 00:02:44
Ah. Hmm. It kind of annoyed me that, in the English dub of GetBackers, for several episodes, they pronounced one of the main character's last name wrong. His last name is spelled Midou. They kept saying "Meedow", with "ow" like in.. well... ow. The sound you make when you're in pain. I was like "It's Meedoh! MeedOH!" Or at least, Meedoh is the closest sound to the correct pronunciation.

Finally, several episodes in, they suddenly switched to pronouncing it Meedoh, but they still kept calling Ginji "Genji", which was actually less aggravating. Anyway, this is perhaps the mildest of my complaints about the GetBackers anime, as I've ranted about before.

Though, you mentioned English VAs having problems with words with more than one a in them. They actually didn't have too much trouble with the name Akabane.

Ow. Though yeah, like you said, some pronunciations are more screwed-up than others.

Well, I guess that it's only fair for English-speakers to mess up the Japanese language a bit, given how often Japan hilariously mangles English...

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: lurk852 on 2012 Jul 07, 00:10:03
Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2012 Jul 07, 00:02:44

Ow. Though yeah, like you said, some pronunciations are more screwed-up than others.

Well, I guess that it's only fair for English-speakers to mess up the Japanese language a bit, given how often Japan hilariously mangles English...

They tend to have a good excuse, though. :c They don't really use the letter L in their language, so it's replaced with R. Same with th being replaced with s or even z. We, however, tend to have a lot of the sounds they make somewhere in our own vocabulary/language.

I suppose it's a little easier if you know how to pronounce Spanish words with some exceptions. The vowels are quite similar.

Book Smarts

There are multiple methods of translating sentences between English and Japanese, nothing is 100% correct since english has pronunciation the Japanese language doesn't

lurk852

Quote from: Book Smarts on 2012 Jul 07, 00:17:56
There are multiple methods of translating sentences between English and Japanese, nothing is 100% correct since english has pronunciation the Japanese language doesn't

Yeah, though as I understand it the main difference between translation styles is how words are spelled in alphabetical characters.

Guess it's time for me to revisit my giant library of bookmarked entries from Engrish.com. I doubt they'll ever be able to top the store selling a WALL-E-looking toy robot labeled "GOD?JESUS", though.

Chishio Kunrin

Night Pony

Slow driving in the left lane.
Drivers who park in such a way they take room for more than one car when someone else needs to park and is running late.
Pedestrians who don't use the sidewalk and walk in the middle of the road.

I want to thank all of the artist that have drawn my OCs.
Night Shine and Moon Violet

Blues-Music

How the bad gamers act like this for instance:
YAY I got super paper mario!Hmm I can't jump over this wall....
*Five minutes later.*
Okay the internet told me that I have to flip into 3D ...Wow....I am a master of video games.
Or:
I can't beat this part...Its not my fault the game sucks.
Not to mention:
Hmm I never heard of this game...Better not buy it.OH MY GOD A SPONGEBOB GAME IT MUST ROCK BECAUSE I HEARD OF SPONGEBOB.
Also:
*Playing a bad game*
*Calling it good because they feel bad for paying money over nothing.*

Sorry if you do any of the above ,but I still stand by bad gamers being the only ones to do those.

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Blues-Music on 2012 Jul 07, 17:14:43
How the bad gamers act like this for instance:
YAY I got super paper mario!Hmm I can't jump over this wall....
*Five minutes later.*
Okay the internet told me that I have to flip into 3D ...Wow....I am a master of video games.
Or:
I can't beat this part...Its not my fault the game sucks.
Not to mention:
Hmm I never heard of this game...Better not buy it.OH MY GOD A SPONGEBOB GAME IT MUST ROCK BECAUSE I HEARD OF SPONGEBOB.
Also:
*Playing a bad game*
*Calling it good because they feel bad for paying money over nothing.*

Sorry if you do any of the above ,but I still stand by bad gamers being the only ones to do those.

It makes me kind of sad to admit that I'm not entirely good at video games, but at least I'm not terrible at them. I just don't talk about them too much or play them with other people much because of hardcore gamers who're better. :c I suck so badly at sooo many things in life. Knowing I'm only adequate at video games makes me feel bad about myself.

But at least I don't really do that stuff. I may look something up if I'm stuck for a long while (I get stubborn and think "I'll figure this out myself, I just know it. I don't need help."), but I don't say "I'm so awesome at this game" immediately after.
"I can't beat this part. Am I missing something?" or "Ugh, I hate _____" (usually "timed events" fits in that blank)
"Hmm, I've never heard of this game. *Reads the back of the case* Sounds interesting. Maybe I'll do some more research on it when I get home." That's how I ended up playing Okami. Man, I love that game.

It annoys me when people act all superior because they're better at a game than I am. It also annoys me that I let the knowledge that I suck make me get upset when I lose a multiplayer match. When I accidentally won Super Smash Bros Brawl against my friend, I was like "Wow... I spazzed my way to victory. :s"

Go Up