Obligatory Fallout Equestria Thread

Started by AaronMk, 2014 Jun 16, 23:29:16

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

AaronMk

2014 Jun 16, 23:29:16 Last Edit: 2014 Jun 17, 00:36:07 by AaronMk
Because one of the biggest sub-fandoms shan't ever deserve to go ignored, and LittlePip is forever Primary Waifu. If you argue, maybe we can settle it over Blackjack. But that's up to some... friendly discussion.

An introduction to the world of FoE that'll explain nothing, but keep me amused:

For if you're like me.

For a more detailed primer:
Fallout Equestria is a crossover fic written by Kkat some hundred years ago now. Long finished, the fic spans the length well over War and Peace and Harry Potter: Order of the Phoenix at a monolithic 625,000 words.

That's a lot of poni.

The fic details the exploits of LittlePip, an under-average size mare from Stable 2 (if I can remember at all) who sets out to find one Velvet Remedy, fellow stable dweller and the apple of LittlePip's eye. Her adventures eventually do lead her to Velvet, where she "rescues" her from some raiders which ultimately leads to an expansive plot uncovering several long-dead conspiracies, and varying levels of OC shipping in the best degrees.

And it being crossed over with Fallout, several elements within the video game series find their way into FoE. Namely: the enclave, Brotherhood of Steel, Vaults, and the meta-plot. All of which is re-crafted and reapplied to suit the world of Equestria. And at face value it's something that should never have worked. But it did... Splendidly.

Fallout Equestria achieved so much notoriety there's its own sub-fandom. Fan-fics of the original fan-fic are written with differing degrees of writing prowess. These being Fallout Equestria(s): Project Horizons, Heroes, Pink Eyes, and Anywhere but Here. Though for the crowning jewels of the FoE side-story crown, Pink Eyes, Project Horizons, and Heroes stands as the brightest and most highly regarded.

Fallout Equestria's fame doesn't stop at just other fan-fictions either. The entire premise has inspired multiples of unique art and fan homages to the core characters, music, and something that's almost an identity within the greater identity. And the fic's achievements in its overall quality and the subsequent fan inspiration has rightfully awarded it the distinction of the "LEGENDARY" tag on Equestria Daily.

And the only relevant story that I know of to trump FoE's length and mass is the side-story Project Horizons, whose expansive gritty girth lays out at over a million words. Which actually lands the story the distinction of being the fourth longest novel written ever, beating - or competing with - Norwegian author Karl Ove Knausgård's Min Kamp (or My Struggle).

Let the magical radiation tossing commence.

Also:
FoE Radio Play animated - Episode 1 Part 1.

#DeposeGothsFromRomanClay

Warglebargle

I've tried reading it, but it's so dark and depressing to read. I just can't read it without having the image of the fandom spoiled. I don't know why, but I always feel depressed after reading chapters from it.
I'm a part-server administrator/website developer/security researcher and part-brony.
IGN - Silver Skittles

Dawnstar

I ran into a similar issue when I first started to read it. Went through the first couple chapters and while it was rather graphic the story itself was interesting, and it leaned more towards the Fallout side than the MLP side.

Then I made the mistake of letting my curiosity get the better of me and I dug through the wiki for it. Specifically the wartime history which, in retrospect, I regret as that particular part of it hits closer to the series and was awfully depressing. Ruined my mood for a week and a half afterwards.

I'm still reading through it because it's still a good story, but I have to do so in intervals to avoid really bad burnout.  :c

AaronMk

2014 Jun 28, 17:24:03 #3 Last Edit: 2014 Jun 28, 17:28:17 by AaronMk
You both will absolutely love Project Horizons then.

Especially that boat. That boat...

But per the darkness of Fallout: it's the juxtaposition of the dark quality to the happy pop-world of Pony proper. It's an artistic irony that should not work by its nature, but Kkat and those that follow her make it works. It takes the qualities of the show, and challenges them with deeper, mature villains and a darker setting to prove - in a narrative sense - that the qualities of charity, kindness, loyalty, humor, honesty can still come together to create magic. It may not be how Kkat set out to tell the story, but in the end it's what it becomes.

And it of course breaks the original concept of pony in what's the natural conclusion of mass personal interest.

Pipkin

I absolutely LOVE Fo:E, I had just finished reading it a couple weeks ago.  All the characters are nicely developed and the storyline is quite entertaining.  There aren't many stories/shows/movies where I actually like the main character(MLP included) but I can't NOT love LittlePip.  I also do really like Velvet and Calamity is actually my favourite.  I'm even cosplaying as him at BronyCon.  Although yeah, there are alot of mature themes in this particular story it's definitely a good(and extremely long) read and if you can handle a good story with mature themes in it(violence etc) i'd definitely recommend it!

AaronMk

You'll be surprised to know that there is a book printing for Fallout: Equestria. However the date to sign up for this wave has long-passed and they've gone already into payment collection and order placement. They got my money (60-ish dollars) and I assume they'll soon get my copy of the story printed and mailed hopefully soon.

Originally the fic was broken into about six volumes, with one broken off for the "unofficial" chapter concerning Homage and LittlePip having a night in. But they sense condensed it into two volumes to lower cost. Annoyed my friend who wanted something that'd occupy more prestigious shelf space, but he still ordered a set.

Checkmate

For me, it was the original, then Radiant Star's story as the Ministry Mare, and I'm in the middle of Project Horizons.  I ordered the book too, and I can't wait.

AaronMk

Quote from: Checkmate on 2014 Jun 29, 00:12:15
For me, it was the original, then Radiant Star's story as the Ministry Mare, and I'm in the middle of Project Horizons.  I ordered the book too, and I can't wait.

Here's the fated question: are you at - or before - the "Boat Scene".

Checkmate

Before, I believe.  I just finished the death of Deus, and I must admit, grinned at that one.  There are certain characters who are born to be hated.

AaronMk

Quote from: Checkmate on 2014 Jun 29, 00:34:54
Before, I believe.  I just finished the death of Deus, and I must admit, grinned at that one.  There are certain characters who are born to be hated.

Then you're not to the part of the story where it begins its steady ascent to Metal Gear Rising levels of everything.

I could also say something about Deus' death, but I won't.

AaronMk

As a word of warning there are end-of-story spoilers out and around now for Project Horizons is anyone cares how Somber will go about closing the story. It's especially relevant if you have plans to browse the Fallout Equestria tag on Derpibooru any time soon. Can't say if it's made its way outside of /foe/ though, so ya'll might be safe vanilla bronies.

Jusey1

Fallout Equestria is best fanfic.

LittlePip is best OC.

Go Up