Evolution of the Pony Model

Started by Ellowee, 2013 Jul 20, 07:24:55

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Ellowee

Hello everyone! I hope you all had a great time with the open server weekend!
I'm sure you all saw our beautiful new pony models. The 3D modeler responsible for these models has always been SteveLynx. He told me that he followed these 6 simple steps to create the models:

Quote from: SteveLynx

• Checking pics from the show for reference

• Trying to match those with the view-angles of different reference-pics

• Trying to copy those in 3D

• Checking with the team

• Applying wished changes

• Repeat step 4-5 until step 4 doesn't have anything negative to report anymore.

Let's look at the development of the pony models so far. First, here's the front part of the pony!

As the model evolves, the face becomes more and more rounded and ears begin to perk up more. The muzzle also becomes more well-defined with the newer versions. SteveLynx's work on the muzzle and the ears can be seen much more clearly in profile view.

We also notice that the shape of the body has changed. The first 3 models have a very arched back and the fourth doesn't arch at all. The most recent model comes with a nice balance between the two! 

Lastly, let's look at a 3/4 view. Here we can see the development of the head itself. The first few models have a very large, flat forehead and as the models progress we see that the head becomes more rounded. 

Quote from: SteveLynxThe most difficult part of the pony was the head, since there's no real connection between side- and front-view and since the ponies are shadeless there's not even fake-3d you could use as reference

SteveLynx has done some amazing work on these models, and he deserves loads of praise. He plans to continue his 3D modeling work with Legends of Equestria and aspires to one day make a perfect 3D pony model that can be used by everyone. If you ever see SteveLynx on the forums, don't forget to tell him that he's awesome!

Tiger

Dang, that's a really good job Steve did  :] Huge improvement from the first model too!

This makes me wish I could 3d model

A link to my tumblr above!
Tiger's OC page. Should re-do it...

Tommy73103

Really nicely-done!
the last model is perfect! can't wait to check it out with the game relase, keep working like this and i'm sure the game will be spectacular!!!!

Cerebrate

To those curious what the changes might be between 3 and 5.5 besides the modeled eye surface, there were various loops added to the legs to improve rigging deformation, as well as improving the general position of bones in the rig.

Billow Pillow

Brilliant work! 1.5 is kinda freaky though.  lol
Senpai Notice me

LOE Craft: Here
My OC: Here
Dragon Cave Click Meow.

Dragnmastralex

keep at it... still need a good stallion body that doesn't' look so... like a mare.
larger chest like shining armor.

and for Celestia sake fix the coding in the character creation every time I tried to go to it during the open weekend any changes I made to the model crashed the game with specific errors.
[/center]

MintyMints

Speaking of someone else who's recently trying her hand at modeling ponies, holy cow is it nice to see how other artists tackle the issue of the eyes. It is no exaggeration to say that the head is the most difficult. Fantastic job.

Kinda looks like the ears in the most recent one aren't part of the same mesh like they are in the earlier ones. Not sure if that's what's going on, or if it's just some weird way it rendered. Not saying that it's bad to have it be a separate mesh, just wondering if that's really what it is.

Liska

Quote from: MintyMints on 2013 Jul 20, 20:28:32Kinda looks like the ears in the most recent one aren't part of the same mesh like they are in the earlier ones.

Yes, the ears are a different object. I'm pretty sure it was to make animating them drooping down when sad easier.

Tekner

2013 Jul 21, 14:54:50 #8 Last Edit: 2013 Jul 21, 14:58:47 by Tekner
Quote from: Dragnmastralex on 2013 Jul 20, 18:51:26
\and for Celestia sake fix the coding in the character creation every time I tried to go to it during the open weekend any changes I made to the model crashed the game with specific errors.
It's kind of hard to do that when we've never heard of that bug before and I can't find any reports of it anywhere. It sounds like an issue with your computer specifically.

FanofRainbowDash

Quote from: Tekner on 2013 Jul 21, 14:54:50
\and for Celestia sake fix the coding in the character creation every time I tried to go to it during the open weekend any changes I made to the model crashed the game with specific errors.
It's kind of hard to do that when we've never heard of that bug before and I can't find any reports of it anywhere. It sounds like an issue with your computer specifically.
I think Tekner's right. I didn't have that problem when I played. My problem was when I push f12 I get the BSOD! The problem was my video card or chipset wasn't compatible with DirectX 9. ono

Sylvermoon

Amazing O: I have no words just amazing.

phirenor

2013 Jul 22, 15:55:22 #11 Last Edit: 2013 Jul 23, 15:04:36 by phirenor
Wow, thats really impressive. When i tried to model pony in the first time - i faced the same head  problem. I got no idea how to make shape like this. This is as close, as i can get:

Lowpoly Model (1177 faces)

P.s. SteveLynx, you're awesome! :D

Rainbowe

Nice to see such huge improvement, keep it up!  *-*
RD is best pony? RD is best pony.

GoldenTerrabyte

Also, how are models with stallion faces coming along?
I'm back

Dragnmastralex

Quote from: Tekner on 2013 Jul 21, 14:54:50

I tried on 2 different computers one with windows 7 and the other with windows XP both couldn't get past the character creations screen it would crash at different points but always involving the cutie mark selection when I changed to Stallion body.
[/center]

Filly Celestia

2013 Jul 31, 11:22:02 #15 Last Edit: 2013 Jul 31, 11:23:46 by Filly Celestia
Wow the latest model looks so smooth  ^-^ you can easily see the improvement
1.5 from the side looks scary  ono

Weatherboy1

It's been so long since there is been a showcase
So lonely

Nightshade Star

That is really awesome! Keep up the great work! :)

ben8757

DD: why cant i download the game can you tell me whyt

Naura

Quote from: ben8757 on 2015 May 24, 12:32:46
DD: why cant i download the game can you tell me whyt

*Sigh* :l
Wrong thread to ask, read the FAQ.
Feel free to check out my [URL=http://forum.legendsofequestria.com/index.php?topic=11982.0]Oc page[/URL]!

Go Up