Looking for good Sci-Fi/Fantasy Anime

Started by Moonlight Paradise, 2012 Jun 01, 13:26:14

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Moonlight Paradise

2012 Jun 01, 13:26:14 Last Edit: 2012 Jun 03, 11:28:48 by Moonlight Paradise
Well the title pretty much says it all. I would appreciate it if you all could recommend ones to me. This will also work as a list of recommendations for lovers of this genre. Here is a list of ones I have already seen.   I AM NOT INTERESTED IN ANIME WHERE EVERY FIVE MINUTES THERE IS GORE AND SOMEONE DIES Stuff like Inu Yasha and Code Geass from my list is fine.

Seen Sci-Fi/Fantasy Anime:
Sailor Moon
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Shugo Chara
Inu Yasha
Code Geass
Soul Eater
Hetalia
I forgot about the show for a while and when I turned back there were ponies everywhere.

Ryo_D_Disk

i say this every time tsubasa chronicles its really good

Skardan

My DeviantArt

Inactivity! Woo!

[move=12]

Travius Trott

Well, I would recommend Spice and Wolf, all of DOT//HACK, and Chibi vampire.

For each show is a short description:
Spice and Wolf, it's a show about a travelling merchant and how he 'befriends' Holo the wise wolf, it's a show that have a slow and calm nature, with the required bits of tension, but it avoids actual violence at all times.

Dot hack, it's a series that are in many parts, and I would recommend starting with //Sign, as it's gives an idea of the setting and such, but it's very slow and not very exiting and runs mostly on the psychological aspects of people ingame.

And Chibi Vampire is, compared to the others, much more comedic and it's less focused on a story, and most on romantic comedy.

And Skar, Paradise said not too much violence, that show holds at least one battle per episode, and I would say more, but I would spoil TTGL if I did.

Oh, it would appear that I got some fancy title, Notable pony, now that's something that I had not expected to gain.
Thanks everypony, for this most brilliant thing.

Coffee Rush

Question : Do you like Mecha Anime? I have one that I like. ( Explosions happen often. )
My OC can be found here!

Skardan

Well I know a cyberpunk anime movie. It's called "Ghost in the Shell".
But it's sometimes a little bit creepy...
And it's not for children :s
My DeviantArt

Inactivity! Woo!

[move=12]

Moonlight Paradise

Quote from: Coffee Rush on 2012 Jun 01, 18:55:50
Question : Do you like Mecha Anime? I have one that I like. ( Explosions happen often. )

I enjoy them. I mean, Code Geass is on my watched list. Most of it (Other then the parts where the main character is using a supernatural power and killing people and accidentally ruining his own life) was giant robots fighting, and I loved it.
I forgot about the show for a while and when I turned back there were ponies everywhere.

Coffee Rush

Ok!
Mobile Suit Gundam.
Its an old show, and not really much blood at all. Its old, too.
My OC can be found here!

lurk852

Quote from: Moonlight Paradise on 2012 Jun 01, 19:23:01
Quote from: Coffee Rush on 2012 Jun 01, 18:55:50

I enjoy them. I mean, Code Geass is on my watched list. Most of it (Other then the parts where the main character is using a supernatural power and killing people and accidentally ruining his own life) was giant robots fighting, and I loved it.

Huh, always interesting to see other perspectives. I finished Code Geass a few weeks ago and enjoyed just about all of it but the giant robot stuff. (That and all the stupid fanservice...)

Ghost in the Shell (movie) was interesting, if occasionally gory.
"The passions are, and ought only to be the slave of reason." - David Hume

Moonlight Paradise

Thank you all for the help so far. I am currently watching Tsubasa Chronicle. I hope that more people will post anime, and that this can be a guide for anyone and everyone on the forum.  ^-^

Book Smarts

I recommend Full Metal Panic, its an anime that mixes comedy with science fiction  *-*

Travius Trott

Quote from: Book Smarts on 2012 Jun 01, 22:41:52
I recommend Full Metal Panic, its an anime that mixes comedy with science fiction  *-*

I concur!
Well, there are two anime series of that name, on that's more serious and with two seasons.
And then there's the spin off "Full Metal Panic Fummofu" or something like that, the latter is filled with comedy, and is actually a bit consistent throughout the 13 episodes.

I myself have only watched the latter of the two.

Oh, it would appear that I got some fancy title, Notable pony, now that's something that I had not expected to gain.
Thanks everypony, for this most brilliant thing.

Pa_Kalsha

2012 Jun 08, 04:50:41 #12 Last Edit: 2012 Jun 10, 15:19:25 by Pa_Hsia
I haven't watched much anime recently, but I used to be a huge fan.
Non-violent series I'd recommend are:

• Chobits (by Clamp, who did Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle)

• Trigun

• Love Hina *

• Azumanga Daioh *

• Last Exile

• Serial Experiments Lain

• Fushigi Yuugi (I don't know if this got an English release)

• Aria

• Excel Saga

• Kiddy Grade

• Rah Xephon

• Fruits Basket

There's a couple of series I've seen parts of, like Negima?!, Wolf's Rain, and The Count of Monte Cristo, which I'd recommend based on what I've seen, but can't vouch for the whole series.

If you're looking for films, try:

• Akira (grimdark. I don't think it's super-gory, but my memory is fuzzy. Worth a watch, though)

• Grave of the Fireflies *

• Macross 2

• Perfect Blue *

• Roujin Z

• The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

• literally anything by Studio Ghibli

I'll probably add a few more tonight when I check my DVD shelves, but those are the ones that really jump out at me as being worth your while. I'll also second (or third, or whatever) the recommendations of Spice and Wolf and Full Metal Alchmist.

* Somehow, I missed that you were looking for FSF anime. Although good, these aren't FSF, although Azumanga Diaoh does get downright peculiar at points.
Pinkie Pie got a job in a clock factory - she spent all day making faces

www.cheerfulomelette.co.uk

Go Up