SteamOS

Started by Midnight Breeze, 2013 Oct 26, 01:16:18

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Midnight Breeze

Official Site

Valve, the leaders of the PC gaming industry have revealed recently that they are developing a new Linux-based operating system. To my knowledge, this will be the first operating system built specifically for gaming.

Valve is designing this OS with their future console; the Steam Machine, in mind. However, it will be freely available for download to PC. Compared to Microsoft charging 200 bucks a pop for their home operating systems, this is good news indeed.

I've been very pleased with what I've heard on the OS, as had the gaming community at large. Many prominent game developers; including Markus 'Notch' Persson, have praised it as amazing news for the gaming industry. My one concern thus far is that, if this OS catches on and becomes the new standard for gaming machines, it means that Valve will have a monopoly on the gaming industry. Such a situation could lead to some real trouble for the industry down the road, I'm not sure I'm comfortable with a single corporation have such power.

Julius

Woah, woah, dude, I could add another partition on my Mac specifically for gaming (Assuming it would be similar to running Windows via Bootcamp). O:

What's this Steam Machine you speak of though? It sounds pretty~ 0:)
Purr~

Midnight Breeze

Steam Machine is valves upcoming console framwork. It will essentially turn console gaming into an open platform just like PCs. It's set for release in 2014.

Here's some more info: Steam Machines

Julius

Ooh! That's sweet! O:

I've been out of the gaming loop lately, so I just keep finding stuff out like this randomly. Thank you kindly for the links and post, Breeze! This is quite the neat find! ^-^
Purr~

BronyDash

Too bad i don't have Linux. And i think i' not gonna change it.

Julius

Quote from: BronyDash on 2013 Oct 26, 04:26:49
Too bad i don't have Linux. And i think i' not gonna change it.

To my understanding, and it may be very wrong, you can get Linux on Windows by creating a partition and running it the same way I run Windows on Mac.

I have never researched Linux, and will do so when the time is right, but it seems like a simple enough process to me. X3

If I'm right, then I would have to install Windows again on a much bigger partition and turn that into Steam OS. ^-^
Purr~

Midnight Breeze

SteamOS is a standalone operating system. It won't depend on any other operating system to run. All you need is a drive to install it on.

Book Smarts

If it's anything like the big picture mode, it's going to be great. Valve is known for their quality programming, and their own user interface.

Go Up