LoE Vs. Norton: FIGHT!!! *ding ding!*

Started by Bolt the Super-Pony, 2015 Aug 13, 18:44:04

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Bolt the Super-Pony

As usual, my Norton anti-virus software sees Legends of Equestria as a potential threat from the start, and then cites suspicious internet activity every time I open it before I even try logging in. Does anyone else have this problem? How do you get rid of it?

Also, I thought that this was something the LoE dev. team should be aware of if they're not already.

NotoriousSMALL

They very much are and the only fix really is to make norton allow it. I don't use norton so I don't know how to but I'm preeeetty sure all anti viruses have lists of things you can let through.

Bolt the Super-Pony

Yeah, that's what I did. Norton got better about allowing things like that. I was able to make a specific exception for this game rather than just totally disabling my firewall for a few hours like I had to before. Hopefully nothing else pops up tonight while playing it, but we'll see in about five hours (though IDK why they don't just open the servers at 12:00 AM EST instead of 12:01 AM EST). That was my goal in testing it now and asking questions, so I can try to clear-up any preliminary bugs on my side beforehand (hoof?).

Anyways, I can't wait!!!

SCS

I really don't think the game is malicious, but I still don't get why it sets off Norton's alarms so much. I've used Norton for years, and I play a ton of games. This is the only one that has this problem.

Surely they could code the game in a way to avoid this if most everyone else does so with their games. I don't think Norton is the best antivirus by any means, but it certainly is one of the most popular. It would be a worthwhile investment of time to avoid tripping its alarms.

AntlerShy

It's not practical to code around anti-virus software, especially ones with aggressive heuristics, as it is impossible to know what they look for. This is an online game, so this can happen.

It is possible to report a False Positive to them so they can remove the detection on their end. With most of the software you use, the devs probably did that before they shipped the software, which is why you don't see these erroneous detections with popular software. I'm not sure how useful this is right now while the game is still heavily under development and only open for a few days at a time, but we can definitely keep that in mind. For now setting an exception should do the trick.

SCS

Quote from: AntlerShy on 2015 Aug 15, 21:19:28
It's not practical to code around anti-virus software, especially ones with aggressive heuristics, as it is impossible to know what they look for. This is an online game, so this can happen.

It is possible to report a False Positive to them so they can remove the detection on their end. With most of the software you use, the devs probably did that before they shipped the software, which is why you don't see these erroneous detections with popular software. I'm not sure how useful this is right now while the game is still heavily under development and only open for a few days at a time, but we can definitely keep that in mind. For now setting an exception should do the trick.

This sounds fair to me.

Scarasyte

The last time I used Norton was in the windows 98 days and it had rooted itself so far into the OS, uninstalling it completely destroyed bootup. Almost like derooting a cactus lol. Then again every AV has quirks I guess.

Go Up