Killing the game?

Started by otherunicorn, 2018 May 29, 07:05:42

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

otherunicorn

Seriously guys, you are driving off players by the droves.
1st - you go out of the way to kill of any bug that lets players have fun, while leaving all the problem ones just as they are.
2nd - you remove all the fun things like butt sliding and fainting.
3rd - you make dragon slaying (level 65) near impossible
4th - you limit us to level 50, which can be achieved in a few hours, robbing us of goals
5th - every third sentence that gets typed in a conversation is lost when the server resets YET AGAIN, like 2-5 minutes after the last, and so on and so on.

Yes, I know this is been done by fans and isn't a money making venture, but at this rate, you'll be able to stop soon as there won't be enough players left to warrant the server cost.

And Scoots, don't bother taking me to task on this message.

Fluttershy Cloud

2018 May 29, 07:28:52 #1 Last Edit: 2018 May 29, 07:33:02 by Fluttershy Cloud
2nd - Yeah, I agree I missed the /e faint feature, I hope one day the devs will bring it back, or at least add another emote like sleeping.

4th - The devs once mentioned that level 50 probably will not be the highest level possible in the future.

5th - I'm pretty sure the resets are connected to the preparation for the newest update, they added a lot of crafting items like food as drops from mobs. At the same time they are removing bugs, particularly the bugged marker for the Supplying the Hospital quest (which had occured since Christmas update). The marker won't pop up for new players now, but those who had it before still can't remove them yet, still waiting for the option from Old Quest Marker Fix.

Just be patient, I'm sure the crafting update is around the corner, just give them another month.
"Everypony's contribution is important, no matter how small. If you just keep your head high, do your best, and believe in yourself, anything can happen!"
- Fluttershy

Holiday Cheer

I wouldn't say that I've seen any 'driving off players by the droves' lately.  Sure we complain that we can't faint anymore and the dragon is ridiculous but the loyal fans of LoE still do and still will care.

But the Gala had over 100 ponies online at one time.  That was the entire point of it, to show the Devs that what we want is support from them so we can create unique experiences that will help players to enjoy the game.

Complaining about what they're doing wrong does nothing but be hurtful and is counterproductive.  We need to show the Devs what the game CAN be with a little TLC.

(This wonderful picture is provided by Even Tide <3)

CMC Scootaloo

2018 May 29, 13:31:54 #3 Last Edit: 2018 May 29, 15:06:46 by CMC Scootaloo
Quote from: otherunicorn on 2018 May 29, 07:05:42And Scoots, don't bother taking me to task on this message.

I think you make pretty clear that this is of no use, because the last time, you just avoided my points entirely. Which makes it clear that all you wanna do is venting your frustration over the fact that not everything in the game is the way you want it.
Obviously, I'm still going to counter your points, if only for others who come along here and read:

1st - you go out of the way to kill of any bug that lets players have fun, while leaving all the problem ones just as they are.

Factually wrong. There have been a lot of annoying bugs that got fixed lately. Reading changelogs helps.
And besides that, a bug is a bug. I miss the buttsliding myself, but it still is a bug and leaving a bug in the game just because it's fun to have it is not professional and would give the worst impression of the game.
If a bug is fun, it is better to modify it and turn it into an actual feature. Which is something that has been promised for the buttslide already, because of its popularity.

This dragon is the highest level enemy in the game, akin to a final boss, right now. It is not supposed to be easy to kill and there have been ways before that made it possible to kill him without the dragon having a chance to defend himself. This got fixed.
An endboss is supposed to be a huge challenge. It is up to the player to figure out the way to defeat it, not to the devs to explain that or make it super easy so that no one complains.

4th - you limit us to level 50, which can be achieved in a few hours, robbing us of goals

Only thing I don't have experience with, neither firsthoof nor secondhoof. But I doubt that Level 50 can be achieved that quick if you play the game as it is intended, by questing and actually going through the game.
Grinding the highest level enemies with range attacks from a high spot, is definitely not the way it is intended.

5th - every third sentence that gets typed in a conversation is lost when the server resets YET AGAIN, like 2-5 minutes after the last, and so on and so on.

I don't know what game you play, but for me, LoE resets the server every few hours, not every few minutes, and I'm pretty sure it's like that for every other player as well.
That dramatizing here makes me the most convinced that you are, to put it mildly, one of the complicated members of a fanbase that are never to satisfy that everything with a larger following gets a few of eventually.
The other thing that does that is the clickbait headline.

As a former dev team member, I can personally tell that the devs take LoE very serious and have a dedication that I haven't seen anywhere else in the fandom.
But I don't think they could satisfy you, otherunicorn, no matter what they do. This is an impossible task.
You always wanted to meet Scootaloo? Then be on the lookout for her in Equestria, she is galloping all over the realm!

Crimson Tail

I'm going to point out the primary reason there isn't as many players as of late is because they don't have limited timespace to play the game unlike Open Server Weekends where the masses would all play at once.

1st - Bugs are bugs, us devs fix those bugs one way or another regardless if you had fun with it or not, though I'll have to admit the butt sliding was fun and harmless. Some bugs are also not easy to squash and takes a while, and since this is entirely volunteer work, any IRL situation takes priority over this.

To add to the first statement, having fun with a bug could be seen as an exploit depending on its behavior.

3rd - Simply put, the level 65 dragon is supposed to be hard, it's up to you to figure out the strat.

4th - I think the fast leveling was intentional during the Open Server Weekends, but today the XP ramp was changed alongside the (greatly) increased spawn time of mobs to make it more time comsuming. Chances are the level cap may be increased. This is just balancing out the combat stuff.

5th - Servers are never perfect, problems always come up at some point or another. The restarting every couple hours or so is a way to prevent instability in the long road. The resetting every 10-20 minutes was due to a problem with the servers, this already has been well acknowledged by the team. Other things could happen like a DDoS, power outage, or worst case scenario a kernel panic. (But kernel panics are rare.. right?)

We have lots of people rooting for the game, so you can't really expect us to make it perfect for the one player who's going to nitpick.
Profile image by LunaEclipsa, uncropped

Galapagois

2018 May 29, 15:31:52 #5 Last Edit: 2018 May 29, 15:34:06 by Galapagois
Hey! Thanks for your feedback, we do appreciate knowing how players feel about that game. That said, though, I would like to point out that regardless of whether or not you enjoy a bug, the fact that it's a bug at all means that we're going to want to try and fix it. Some bugs are harder to fix than others, which is why you might find that some of the ones you enjoyed exploiting are sorted out quicker than the ones that might irritate you.

I'd also like to know where you're getting information of our player counts from, to be able to say that we're 'driving off' players. Last I checked, that information wasn't publicly available. We, however, can see those metrics, and we use them to plan out the future of the game accordingly.

It's also worth bearing in mind that LoE is still very much in development. Nothing you see in the game is 'final' until we decide we're happy with it. We still have a whole bunch of content to add, new systems to implement, new areas and quests to develop, and a metric butt-ton of re-balancing goes on around that. That includes server changes and improvements, too. What you find difficult now may well be made easier in the future!

I do find it a little strange that you follow up your point about there being no challenge, with a point about how a combat encounter is too challenging. Regardless, though, this is an MMORPG; some things aren't meant to be tackled alone! Plus, as suggested earlier, we have much more to add to the game, and plenty of changes to be made; it's very likely that you'll find new challenges emerge as development progresses.

One final note I'd like to pick up on is your description of us 'killing the game'. I find that more than a little insulting, considering the hard work and dedication that hundreds of developers have put into this project, for free, over 5+ years. I don't mean to compare LoE to any professional game project, but it's worth at least remembering that most MMORPG games take 5+ years, and a few million dollars, to develop - and that's from a fully paid, trained, centrally-located development team working on it full time. The fact that we've gotten this far on no budget, with nothing but the commitment and spare time of dedicated volunteers, is quite frankly incredible to me; the fact that we're still going, with even more planned for the future, is nothing less than breath-taking. That's why I think you asserting that we're trying to 'kill' the project that so many have poured so much passion into, for no compensation beyond the desire to see this game come to life, is something of a slight.

I'm not asking you - or indeed, anyone - not to criticise us; I was entirely genuine at the start when I said that we appreciate feedback. However, accusing us of trying to kill the game doesn't really provide us with much that we can build on, and it kind of taints any ideas you may want to genuinely convey. If you'd like to provide us constructive feedback, I'd highly recommend using our bug report & suggestion system, Phabricator, as explained here: https://forum.legendsofequestria.com/index.php?topic=16754.0 - things might not be addressed as quickly as you would personally like, but everything reported through Phabricator is assigned to the appropriate team's queue, and will be reviewed when that team is able to!
Head of LoE Public Relations, King of Support, and a nuisance!

CleverCreations

Quote from: otherunicorn on 2018 May 29, 07:05:42Seriously guys, you are driving off players by the droves.

Yes, I know this is been done by fans and isn't a money making venture, but at this rate, you'll be able to stop soon as there won't be enough players left to warrant the server cost.

And Scoots, don't bother taking me to task on this message.

You, otherunicorn, are being extremely rude, and some of these comments are uncalled for.

Let me show you how to provide constructive feedback, by translating some of your toxic statements into polite, useful information:

"1. While I appreciate you working hard to fix these bugs, please focus on the game-breaking ones, rather than the silly ones, such as the "buttsliding" bug.

2. I know buttsliding is considered a bug, but could you please consider bringing it back as a feature?

3. I don't understand why defeating the dragon is so difficult. Why is the dragon a higher level than we're allowed to be? Is this meant as a group-only combat challenge?

4. I feel its not very fun being limited to level 50. Will this change in the future?

5. I'm really displeased about the servers not giving any sort of warning as to when they will restart. When I try to send messages, sometimes they get lost in a reset. Could this be worked on?

I understand you don't have funds, and this is entirely fan-based, but I hope you find my feedback to be of use. Thank you for your time."

Please refrain from using rude or witty sentences/words, because, well, it's rude. Also, the team may not take your feedback into consideration, or perhaps give you a warning, maybe even a ban.

:c

Pumpkin Glow

Just because I know how destructive negativity from even one person can be for creators, I want to say:

<3  I am extremely thankful for LoE.  <3

It's the one place where I can exist as my OC and meet others in a way that feels satisfactory as well as very authentic in the way of design and atmosphere.

My only regret is not coming here earlier, despite following the project on social media since it was announced back in the day.

The community around LoE is one of the most friendly and welcoming I have every experienced and thus is extremely precious to me.

I would never have met all of it's amazing ponies, as well as my special somepony, if it wasn't for the dev team investing years of hard work, free time and enthusiasm into LoE, making it the experience it is today. Giving us this world to exist, connect and have adventures in.  <3  <3  <3

Sure, I will happily be playing new quests, explore new features and maybe even new areas at some point.
Always looking forward to something new and exciting in terms of game content.  ^-^

But I don't think it will ever be the focus of the game for me personally. It's very much a social expierience and one of the best I had online in a very... veeery long time.  ^-^
A reason why I personally can't get hung up on the engine side of things and what it might or might not be lacking in terms of mechanic and content.
(Most stuff I look forward to is more clothing, emotes, maybe placeable decorations, i.o. to enhance player held events even more.  ^-^ )

All the time and work the team puts into the game is very appreciated by a LOT of ponies.

So please don't let one, loud, toxic voice affect you too much.

There is a metric heck ton of ponies here, who all love LoE to bits, appreciate the work and understand the development process, sticking around despite bugs and technical problems that are part of it while LoE becomes even better with every update!  ^-^  <3

chrome thunder

Quote from: CMC Scootaloo on 2018 May 29, 13:31:54I don't know what game you play, but for me, LoE resets the server every few hours, not every few minutes, and I'm pretty sure it's like that for every other player as well.

Not exactly. Whenever I'm in the game it happens every 15-20 minutes (or even less). Does a nice job of interrupting up RP's and quests. And it's not just me. Often me and a few others will be hanging out in somewhere like the library or cottage, and when the reset happens we all get returned to the door and have to go back to our spots.
In one quest case I was going from the Canterlot exit to the Cloudsdale one in the Heartlands, and just as I got to the CD one, it reset and put me back at the CL one and I had to make the trip again >:( .
It used to be a reset spawned you in the place you were at when it happened. Now it puts you back where you first spawned in. The only way to counter it is (if you're staying in one spot) to pick your spot, and then switch to the other room and back again and it locks your position in..

Holiday Cheer

I just want to say thank you to all the mods and devs for your hard work and dedication to this game and the world you have created.  I would name you all and thank you personally but I don't know you all yet and I would very much like to eventually. :D

I think Pumpkin really said exactly what I wanted to say.  You have created an amazing place that feels exactly like what living the life of a pony in Equestria should feel like.  It is my escape from the real world and I have met so many amazing ponies there and have made many of what I think/hope will be lifelong friendships/relationships  ;)

So let me just counter the who 'game is dying' point with a few names.  Because LoE will never die and I can prove it:

Jet Black, Wordsmith, Lens Flare, Healing Lavender, Pumpkin Glow, Blue Cloud, Fluffy Cloud, Marshmallow Cactus, Bubblegum Slash, Jamie Cheer, Random Fandom, Tranquil Wafer, Sapphire Moonlight, Jet Blank, Tape Quintus, Even Tide, Watermelon Zest, Gloomy Feathers, Cloudy Skies, Aurora Skies, CMC Scoots, Spectral Spirit, Blue Glaze, Winter Cactus, Feather Band, Midnight Star, Mystic Space, Dandelion Fluff, Fluffy Flyff Cloudls, and there are so many more who I am sorry if I've forgotten.

I think I made my point though.  LoE isn't a game.  It's these ponies, no these people.  And as long as at least one of them is there, it will still exist.  And all your hard work will have meant something.  You guys are all amazing for what you've done and we love you! Thank you from the bottom of my heart!<3

(This wonderful picture is provided by Even Tide <3)

CleverCreations

<3 well said, pumpkin and holiday.

Fluttershy Cloud

Quote from: CleverCreations on 2018 May 30, 08:40:37You, otherunicorn, are being extremely rude, and some of these comments are uncalled for.

I don't blame otherunicorn for being rude, it is understandable that some changes in updates and recent servers being unusually unstable can be frustrating. It is good to give feedback to the developers, but I think it is the word and tone used that lead to arguments, like a line in Jesus of Suburbia from Green Day:

"Nobody's perfect and I stand accused
For lack of a better word, and that's my best excuse"
"Everypony's contribution is important, no matter how small. If you just keep your head high, do your best, and believe in yourself, anything can happen!"
- Fluttershy

Honey Bell

Please keep in mind that this is viewable by everyone. We accept any comments and improvements as show above by Crimson Tail and Galapagois. Feedback is Always nice for a game in development. We try to listen as much as we can to the players to improve the gameplay.

However rules are still in place and i have to ask you to follow them. This way we can have a healthy discussion without flaming/arguing, everyone has a valid point.

Thank you.
Woona
Hello I'm Honey Bell. Got a problem, I'm all ears, and hooves *giggles*. You can always find me right here, in Discord or Ingame

CMC Scootaloo

One of my posts has been removed..... I'm sorry if my tone upset anyone. :c I have my temper better under control now, but when I see someone trashing LoE like that, it's hard to stay calm.
You always wanted to meet Scootaloo? Then be on the lookout for her in Equestria, she is galloping all over the realm!

Unii

Quote from: CMC Scootaloo on 2018 May 30, 10:45:53One of my posts has been removed..... I'm sorry if my tone upset anyone. :c I have my temper better under control now, but when I see someone trashing LoE like that, it's hard to stay calm.

You drove away a player. Are you proud?

CleverCreations

Quote from: Unii on 2018 May 30, 11:16:10You drove away a player. Are you proud?

nobody was driven away..?

Honey Bell

Nobody drove any1 away. That was decide by the player on his own.
Hello I'm Honey Bell. Got a problem, I'm all ears, and hooves *giggles*. You can always find me right here, in Discord or Ingame

Pipkin

Alrighty then.  As our public relations lead had said, your criticism is appreciated, and if you have any bugs etc to report you may do so through phabricator.

However, I will be locking this thread due to the increased tension being caused. Thank you for your understanding and support.
~Darcy

Go Up