Introducing People to the Show?

Started by Lorelai, 2012 Jun 12, 01:32:51

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Chishio Kunrin

So it's kind of like "I bet you $10 that you can't watch two episodes of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic."? Could work.

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

Nala Valor

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2012 Jun 14, 04:46:13
So it's kind of like "I bet you $10 that you can't watch two episodes of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic."? Could work.
It did! That's how I became a brony

Teal Turken

I introduced the show to my mom and dad recently. I got some unexpected results.

My expected results was that they would kinda chuckle over it for a minute before just shrugging it off since they are really respectful parents.

The results I got were-

My Dad looked up what channel the hug is on and the show times.

My mom bought me a rainbow dash toy without request, it came with an episode on disk.

I love my mom and dad. :3

snarfgsnor

Quote from: Teal Turken on 2012 Jun 14, 08:12:55
I introduced the show to my mom and dad recently. I got some unexpected results.

My expected results was that they would kinda chuckle over it for a minute before just shrugging it off since they are really respectful parents.

The results I got were-

My mom bought me a rainbow dash toy without request, it came with an episode on disk.

haha, sounds like you got some awesome parents. lol

but i dont introduce people to the show. i just let them do whatever they want. but they know i watch the show atleast :3

avatar made by TheMysteriousArtist,and stardust for the pictures in the signature. go check thoose artists out!!

Trilight Dashie

2012 Jun 14, 08:45:13 #24 Last Edit: 2012 Jun 14, 08:54:55 by Trilight Dashie
I think that people very often become bronies by watching fanmade videos/paintings. They find it really awesome, because if you are a skilled artist, you can even make a snort funny and convince people to seek for more. In effect, non-bronies give MLP:FiM a try and find it quite a good and harmless cartoon to watch. And of course - get themselves into it  ovO

I became a brony by my brother(which is not a brony) and two friends.
We were playing LoL and talking on teamspeak, while my brother came up - all of a sudden - with:
"RAINBOW DASH WILL PWN YOU!!" -- he wrote that in /all chat.
My first friend was like - "What'cha talking about?"
Then he replied - "What? You don't know my little ponies?!" - and he sent us a link to the video on YouTube. It was seriously the first episode. However, in Polish language, mine((and I hate ponies' Polish voices)).
After that, we had quite a nice discussion about ponies and watched together(on teamspeak) english version of about... 4 or 5 episodes. We came back to LoL and my bro shouted on teamspeak.
"Yea! I'm Rainbow Dash! Niraziel, what are you?"
"Eh.... Rarity? Yea... I guess..."
The second friend of mine wasn't online at the moment, so we were having fun from him  lol
So I said - "trupek shall be Spike, because he's small, bwahahaha!"
And Niraziel replied with a laugh while talking - "Shut uuuppp! I don't want someone like him to adore me!"
When trupek came back, we said that to him, and he was like - "Shut uup! I'm no pony, I'm a dead man!" - which is taken from his nickname "trupek" -> trup -> corpse. Well... just a dead man xD
And then Niraziel gave us a question - "Hey, but who should Isa be?" - my brother replied - "Emm... Twilight maybe? He's really into books-"  - I cut off his sentence - "Hell no! Me be Pinkie pieezz!" - then he shouted - "But you are more into books than parties, man! You must be Twilight!" - and Niraziel agreed - "Yeah, Kio is right, you are Twilight, man."

My solution?

Talk about MLP in funny way which will they like, don't force'em. Let them enjoy MLP.
Don't shoot all of a sudden something like "Hey, bla bla bla My Little Ponies?", but be like "Hmm... I have a funny idea of My Little Pony meme/I have an idea of drawing a pony, it will be awesome."
Or, if they are more fans of violent scenery(No! I'm not going to say Cupcakes! I think Cupcakes isn't "o.k", nor good.), then start talking with them about a simple matter. I don't know... homework? A party or something? Then, like a ninja, jump from one theme to another, and end up on something like "And what are you going to do after that?", reply with "Oh, cool...." and then come up with something like "...and I'll go bloody and violent arts that some guys made on [ie.]deviantart. I'll send you some if I find something cool."

Why do chemists call helium, curium, and barium 'the medical elements'? Because, if you can't 'helium' or 'curium', you 'BARIUM'! Heheh."

Lorelai

The results I got were-

You introduced the show to your parents?

+1 respect :p

Chishio Kunrin

I can't get anyone in my family to take bronies seriously. :l I can't figure out my dad's reaction, my mom seems to just laugh at it, and my nanna (dad's mom) seems a bit confused.

The Wandering Magus

neither my parents care, aside from just telling me I should be more focused on grades than on "useless things" :c
(sorry Bakasan, chose this image)
Descriptions and art of my OCs here: http://legendsofequestria.com/forum/index.php?topic=2636
my art: http://legendsofequestria.com/forum/index.php?topic=298
visiting soldier sister, be back 8/12/2013

snarfgsnor

Quote from: The Wandering Magus on 2012 Jun 14, 11:42:31
neither my parents care, aside from just telling me I should be more focused on grades than on "useless things" :c

now thats just beign rude to be honest...

avatar made by TheMysteriousArtist,and stardust for the pictures in the signature. go check thoose artists out!!

Teal Turken

Isn't anything that's not about learning useless?
TV, video games, internet shopping and shopping, playing card and board games, listening to music, watching sports.....
The list goes on and on of things common adults do in the household.

On topic my rainbow dash came with a little pink suitcase and a white duck...what's with the duck? o.O

HerpyDooves

When I told my mom (not my dad, oh god I never want to tell him, he'll troll me til the end of time,  lol), a few months ago, she was watching T.V., but I guess she was too focused on it, because she looked at the background of my laptop (The Mane 6 walking across Abbey Rd. :3) and she asked, "What's that on the computer?", but she's walked past it so many times, I figured she'd notice before, and the next time, I have a picture of Twilight Sparkle I drew, and she picks it up and ask's what is it. I tried to come up with an excuse, but it was too late.... Looks like I have to explain about the Brony community ALL OVER AGAIN.

The Wandering Magus

Quote from: Teal Turken on 2012 Jun 14, 12:14:50

Isn't anything that's not about learning useless?
TV, video games, internet shopping and shopping, playing card and board games, listening to music, watching sports.....
The list goes on and on of things common adults do in the household.

On topic my rainbow dash came with a little pink suitcase and a white duck...what's with the duck? o.O
because the studio team couldn't convince the toy team that the script CLEARLY said that she ALREADY had a pet TORTOISE. :c
Descriptions and art of my OCs here: http://legendsofequestria.com/forum/index.php?topic=2636

Book Smarts

Hasbro's toy department is spotty at best, it took them years to finally get the picture that Celestia was in fact a white furred alicorn  >:/

The Wandering Magus

Quote from: Book Smarts on 2012 Jun 14, 16:52:39
Hasbro's toy department is spotty at best, it took them years to finally get the picture that Celestia was in fact a white furred alicorn  >:/
yeah...there's something wrong with communication over there...

Chishio Kunrin

Poor Fluttershy, the hard plastic toy of her is made using the Rainbow Dash mold! D: And the hard plastic Pinkie Pie has droopy hair.

The Wandering Magus

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2012 Jun 14, 22:36:56

Poor Fluttershy, the hard plastic toy of her is made using the Rainbow Dash mold! D: And the hard plastic Pinkie Pie has droopy hair.
droopy pinkie pie is kind of cute actually. :')

Zbizo

My Dad looked up what channel the hug is on and the show times.(...)

Spoiler: show

I tried $10 method, but my friend is aware of that he may like this show. He won't accept this challenge. He accepts me as a brony, he watched some modified episodes(with bad language), but he doesn't want to be part of us, I think I can't do anything except converting others to bronies.

The Wandering Magus

Quote from: Zbizo on 2012 Jun 15, 16:07:44

I tried $10 method, but my friend is aware of that he may like this show. He won't accept this challenge. He accepts me as a brony, he watched some modified episodes(with bad language), but he doesn't want to be part of us, I think I can't do anything except converting others to bronies.
maybe after John De Lancie finishes his million-dollar documentary on us he'll change his mind :]

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: The Wandering Magus on 2012 Jun 15, 17:37:24

maybe after John De Lancie finishes his million-dollar documentary on us he'll change his mind :]

wat. o_O WAT? O:

It'd be cool if a kid got their nonbrony babysitter to watch MLP with them and converted them. :D

The Wandering Magus

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2012 Jun 15, 21:42:33
Quote from: The Wandering Magus on 2012 Jun 15, 17:37:24

wat. o_O WAT? O:

It'd be cool if a kid got their nonbrony babysitter to watch MLP with them and converted them. :D
eeyup, Discord is doing a documentory on bronies.  A POSITIVE documentary.  And he explicitly said in an hour-long interview that he considers himself a brony after researching us and attending a few bronycons.  And he raised 600000USD in a few days from bronies across the world to make the film also.  Cover art submissions is closed, though.

Go Up