Afterthoughts: Rainbow Rocks

Started by Jinxie Umbra, 2014 Nov 01, 08:39:30

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Tree Sharp

Am I the only one mystified by the fact that there is no mention of Sunset Shimmer wanting to return to Equestria? Don't get me wrong, the plot of Rainbow Rocks makes sense to me, but only because the portal was closed all this time. I can't really see Sunset Shimmer wanting to stay in a high school if she has the option of going back to being a student of Princess Celestia, or at least going back to her home and seeing old friends.

AquariaWave

The little scene at the end of the credits intrugues me makes me wonder how it will effect things in the 3rd movie, same as others I deeply hope Sunset Shimmer appears at some point in season 5 :)
20% cooler WATER STYLE!

Lync Volan

Quote from: Tree Sharp on 2015 Jan 24, 12:56:49
Am I the only one mystified by the fact that there is no mention of Sunset Shimmer wanting to return to Equestria? Don't get me wrong, the plot of Rainbow Rocks makes sense to me, but only because the portal was closed all this time. I can't really see Sunset Shimmer wanting to stay in a high school if she has the option of going back to being a student of Princess Celestia, or at least going back to her home and seeing old friends.
i didn't know she had "old friends" and i don't know about you but i would still be fearful of Celestia's "Punishment" all in all i can only see her going to Equestria for awhile here and there and possibly tag teaming with Twilight in certain matters 

Hash Myth

Quote from: Lync Volan on 2015 Jan 29, 05:50:03
i didn't know she had "old friends" and i don't know about you but i would still be fearful of Celestia's "Punishment" all in all i can only see her going to Equestria for awhile here and there and possibly tag teaming with Twilight in certain matters

Well we all know what happened to Luna, with a name like Sunset Shimmer... I don't think she could take the heat ... If ya get my meaning

Lync Volan

2015 Jan 29, 06:38:51 #24 Last Edit: 2015 Jan 29, 09:05:22 by Lync Volan
Quote from: Hash Myth on 2015 Jan 29, 06:12:25
Well we all know what happened to Luna, with a name like Sunset Shimmer... I don't think she could take the heat ... If ya get my meaning
Now i'm scared >.<

Post Merge

i honestly loved the first movie but since this topic is about the 2nd one "Rainbow Rocks"
i'll try to leave my thoughts of Eg1 in a tiny box if anyone's Interested X3
Spoiler: Thoughts Of A Dummy • show
first let me say i didn't watch the Mlp series yet at the time i first watched Equestria Girls
i watched on Netflix and kept rewatching till i decided on watching the Mlp series so this Commentary is coming from someone with no reluctance
(keep in mind i'm talking about what i loved in the movie before watching the Mlp series so i won't be mentioning or comparing it to the series in anyway)

so what did i love about it? well i really love "cheesy romances" (sue me) so Flash showing up made me all gaga lol and beside that would be the "classic" guitar boy which is seen in some old movies but now adays are viewed as "Stereotypical" so i simply labeled it as a reference and don't forget the fact Flash is overly kind or at least portrayed as "kind"

Pinkie Pies hyperness really made me smirk cause she was pulling Twilight around and totally like "Scanning her" for some reason then when Applejack showed up she acted exactly how she should have in my opinion like "let me grab a soda and just relax" which is really likable

overall the part where they dragged Twilight into the classroom was one of the greatest parts it had Comedy & seriousness in away since Rarity made Twilight a blonde and was petting Spike (until he fell out of Twilights bag) then everyone else came in and started bickering about past events they never fully explained to each other

when they introduced Rainbow Dash she seemed like some kinda "Role model" and very confident in her abilities and now that i have thought about it she kinda reminds me of Ben Tennysons Personality so that might have been an unseen reason why i enjoyed that part in the movie aside from the spirit lifting comment Rainbow had after the match with Twilight "I'm not gonna help just anybody try and beat Sunset Shimmer. The Fall Formal Princess should be someone with heart and determination." after that i literally died :3

the songs were overly peppy and made me happy i could pick the "Cafeteria song" as my favorite since i really enjoyed it the most but then theres "Time to Come Together" which really helped with the video part when Twilight bumps into Flash on stage (did i mention i love cheesy things?) and the overall message the song it self sent about working together

the rest of the movie was all Sunset Shimmer to me but if i talk about her this commentary will never end...so simply put she sneaked into a castle filled with guards and left just as easily. her plans did not go exactly as planned but she improvised quickly. she is very Manipulative and was able to get the Vice Principle on her side. she did not waste time on Flash about the break up unlike most break up stories she kept going and strived. she had 2 minions (snips and snails) kinda like Hades from "Hercules" but somehow better. her overall  Attitude & Determination is somewhat Lovable in my opinion. the fact her transformation was Demonic like she was Awesome for the little screen time she had in that form and using brain wash is such a classy way of doing things one other show that tried to do something like that was "Kim Possible" where Dragon was planing to use Brain washing Shampoo
Spoiler: Brain Wash Song • show

also the "1 hit finisher" did not bother me that much since i used to watch lots of Power Rangers before and its all about how they gained there power and how skillfully they planed out there plans and the ending where it was kinda Happy/sad was great and left me kinda "Nostalgic" i think.
some call it "rushed" and that might be cause how quickly Sunset Shimmer seemed to be forgiven but for me that is a everyday thing in a cartoon or an anime i could refer you to at least 3 personal favorites of mine that were forgiven or offered to be forgiven right after being beaten
Spoiler: Forgiven Quickly But Still Loved • show

Masquerade was asked to join the main team (Brawlers) right after the battle 

Spectra Phantom might be blood related but he still was forgiven way too quickly for what he did yet he still is a fan favorite

Kevin 11 from Ben 10 was offered the hand of forgiveness but he pushed it aside

i also loved Rainbow Rocks and y'all guessed the reason "Sunset Shimmer" of course even aside from the fact she was my favorite since the first movie
you could see her "Trying" to make up for the things shes done in the past from the very start of the movie when she was offering to help the Cutie Mark Crusaders
and i'm sure no one knew she could "Blush" X3   
and if you pay close attention you can notice at least 3 Lessons Sunset Shimmer implemented into the movie for the watchers
the movie itself shows the fact others end up neglecting there so called "Friends" once they have a lot and it takes hard work to end the neglecting yet it sometimes works out when it comes to "true friends"
keep in mind i watched it in the movie house so when Maud showed up i also had a similar reaction as Sunset Shimmer and moved back in my seat 

I watched all the shorts and sneak peeks before the movie even came out (and didn't get them mixed up) i also listened to the soundtrack/songs before the movie came out so i was able to quietly sing along during the movie and before watching the movie i already picked a favorite song which would be "Tricks Up My Sleeve" & "Under Our Spell" but once watching the movie i enjoyed "Better Then Ever" much more and after rewatching many times (by my own means) got some what addicted to "Welcome To The Show" & "Shine Like Rainbows" my guess is the movie house i was in the speakers were kinda messy and didn't support those 2 songs at there best theres also the fact the 1st movie house ruined "Battle of the bands" with there speakers 

about the "Sneak Peeks" i read all sorts of comments under the videos and one kinda comment got me wondering more then the rest since one of my little cousins favorite show is monster high and how others mentioned how the Dazzlings reminded them of MH characters. i for one only watched like 1 or 2 episodes but i plan on giving it another chance to have more in common with my cousin maybe but they reminded me more of "The Hex Girls" given there song titles and the fact they are a "Trio" (classic by the way)
Spoiler: Image Support • show

don't forget The Hex Girls have a member by the name of "Dusk" and her colors are mostly Blueish green (the ghostly blue)

but aside from that i quickly chose Sonata as my favorite during the "Sneak Peeks" mainly cause of her Obliviousness and Adorableness but after watching the full on movie Adagio Dazzle became my Favorite Dazzling mainly cause of her role as the leader and the way she has to keep Aria in place so she knows shes still the leader
not to mention her Facial Expressions
Spoiler: Adagio's Amazing Expressions • show

theres afew more i did not show but i'm getting tired of getting links

she might seem to lose her cool sometimes but overall leading a unthinking team that seems to always be bickering does that to you so having to deal with that its amazing how she mostly is calm and collected

i just noticed that Adagio has the ability to control the other 2 just by body movement at times
Spoiler: Example • show

i know Flash's part is very little in the movie but for this creature i find him being there comforting in away :]
Spoiler: Cheesy love • show

^Flash thinking about Twilight too much to watch where his going

^Flash catches Twilight like such a prince :3

^every relationships got there problems if you don't think so your living in a fairy tale Especially if that includes a spell

^in the end they worked it out :]

^and kept me waiting and wanting more just like they should :3

Post Merge

the movie itself did seem too short they should have added afew more minutes for things not regarding singing but thats just me :] 

Hash Myth

@Lync Volan
You left out the best "short" that did come from Rainbow Rocks (well the only thing I really loved about the entire Equestria Girls)

I never liked the fact that FiM and EG has no story lines that cross (well yet anyway, plus don't get me started on why they made the movies in the first place  >:O).

The movie series of EG had so many plot devices deliberately created rather than arising naturally or spontaneously  :I . So many plot holes never really explained, they just happen and no idea why, no rhyme or reason. Just slapped in your face like a PB and J sandwich that just seems to stick it all together... But cover up so much. :o

Plus I can't even understand why Twilight would not even take her friends to the other side?  O: They do EVERYTHING together as a team, not really showing the whole "friendship is magic" meaning... Oh that's right... They don't tie the 2 series together anyway, so why not throw out the real meaning of MLP?  lol
Also why do I feel the whole "friendship is magic" concept is tossed out in the movies? It's weird.  :I

Sunset Shimmer is never seen in FiM and yet she has a huge story and background just in the movies and still... No story line ties to FiM series? I think Lync can agree with me on this, Sunset Shimmer needs to have a better background with FiM... Just to have her exclusive to just the EG movie series is kinda ridiculous. They go over all the enemies and important past pony's if FiM but just so happen to leave out Princess Celestia understudy? (Celestia has been around for thousands of years yet we only now know of another who studied under her wing other then Twilight just for the movies?!?  ovO )

But is it late for them to even develop her story in FiM Season 5? And if not, it will have to be a very good storyline, not just tossed in your face randomness plot twist that you just have to accept because they did it (like walk through the mirror and oh look, there is Sunset Shimmer as if we knew about her all along).
Or bring her back to help out vs a enemy or something, that would just be to hard to take in and understand by any standard.

Overall if I just treat it as a standalone movie, its okay. I'm just not into pony's gone humans though.
If I wanted drama Human high school stories, I would have gotten into Monsters High or Ever After High. And that's NEVER going to happen.

Crescent Sun

To be honest....

D:

I love ponies, Equestria Girls it's only a way to sell new toys by hasbro because barbie have more sellings and ponies have lowered the sales. It have no connection with the main seasons.. in other words, it's a cross-over fiction to impulse sales of a certain line of toys.

Forgetting about this and seeing it as a "new movie" without connection with Mlp except in the name and the references, it doesn't apport anything new, i mean, it's just a "monster high" copy.

Sorry if i sound rude with this, but i really don't like that hasbro move. and im dissapointed about it.

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Crescent Sun on 2015 Jan 29, 11:34:20
To be honest....

D:

I love ponies, Equestria Girls it's only a way to sell new toys by hasbro because barbie have more sellings and ponies have lowered the sales. It have no connection with the main seasons.. in other words, it's a cross-over fiction to impulse sales of a certain line of toys.

Forgetting about this and seeing it as a "new movie" without connection with Mlp except in the name and the references, it doesn't apport anything new, i mean, it's just a "monster high" copy.

Sorry if i sound rude with this, but i really don't like that hasbro move. and im dissapointed about it.

MLP is only a way to sell toys, too, and it always has been ever since it first started decades ago.

The first EG movie wasn't great, but I did enjoy the second one. It's good in a different way than MLP:FiM is.

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

Crescent Sun

Spoiler: show
Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2015 Jan 29, 11:43:08
MLP is only a way to sell toys, too, and it always has been ever since it first started decades ago.

The first EG movie wasn't great, but I did enjoy the second one. It's good in a different way than MLP:FiM is.

I know.. it's just me frustrated, don't pay me attention in this  :D just i don't have the same filling of "sale impulse" in MlP, it's very soft, so soft you can't notice it.. every pony have it's own personality and you learn to love each of them, even the secondary ones (who doesn't love derpy?) when seen rainbow rocks i expected it very high, as a "woah, a movie of MlP? you have to be kidding, i need to see it noooooow  O:" and i got disapointed at the end... i have to be honest, im 30 and i cryed like a child seeing MlP, and maybe it was my problem expecting something huge with a movie involving the trademark of MlP.

Lync Volan

Quote from: Hash Myth on 2015 Jan 29, 11:02:56

Sunset Shimmer is never seen in FiM and yet she has a huge story and background just in the movies and still... No story line ties to FiM series? I think Lync can agree with me on this, Sunset Shimmer needs to have a better background with FiM... Just to have her exclusive to just the EG movie series is kinda ridiculous. They go over all the enemies and important past pony's if FiM but just so happen to leave out Princess Celestia understudy? (Celestia has been around for thousands of years yet we only now know of another who studied under her wing other then Twilight just for the movies?!?  ovO )

To be honest i haven't read the comics yet but i have already heard that Sunset Shimmer's backstory is pretty much explained in them and i see Celestia as someone who doesn't like talking about her past inless its with somepony close or theres a real reason to mention it so until Equestira girls happened Celestia had no reason to mention her so probably kept it to herself besides hardly anyone mentions there mistakes just like raising a child others hate to admit raising them the wrong way and i could bet thats exactly what Celestia thought about the Incident

i'm gonna mention something you said "Celestia has been around for thousands of years" there for she has a HUGE backstory that should be explained yet isn't in the show itself as far as i know (not to be mean to her cause i also like Celestia) she is kinda the Princess Bubblegum of Mlp as well given her life length and the little info on her we have...we know shes reasonable and very knowledgeable but thats about it but is the reason they don't explain her backstory is because all that matters and needs explaining is how she takes care of the kingdom? and if thats the case Sunset Shimmer's backstory does not "Need" more explaining but sure would be Pleasant

theres also the idea of Nightmare moon cause Celestia didn't mention her sister Luna until she finally escaped from the moon "Tormented memories" and such is probably the reason she didn't and even though Sunset Shimmer isn't Celestias Sister i can be darn sure Celestia saw her as her Daughter thus making it a tormented memory aswell 

i could also name at least 3 or 4 sensei/teachers who don't mention students who go completely rogue until they come back to bite them in the rear
Spoiler: Student & Teacher • show
^tai lung and shifu cause Shifu only mentioned him when the info was needed (keep in mind this is a successful movie and the info was also divulged within the movie just like Equestria Girls)
^Correct me if i'm wrong cause i haven't followed Naruto shippuden lately but as far as i can tell Jiraiya only Mentioned those kids when it was "Absolutely Necessary" even though they were the "front" leaders of the main Enemies "Akatsuki's"

^and my personal Favorite Azmuth & Albedo cause dang Azmuth did not feel the need to mention Albedo until he caused trouble for Ben yet Albedo has the ability to Mimic Azmuth's greatest inventions...and the fact Albedo was Ben's Doppelganger is all the more reason to have said something earlier

and about not mentioning Dj Pon 3 i was abit tired at the time i was typing that so i forgot to mention the shorts and only mentioned the sneak peeks so "Oops" on my part X3
(~wants to read comics/books~)

Hash Myth

Quote from: Lync Volan on 2015 Jan 30, 04:28:37
To be honest i haven't read the comics yet but i have already heard that Sunset Shimmer's backstory is pretty much explained in them and i see Celestia as someone who doesn't like talking about her past inless its with somepony close or theres a real reason to mention it so until Equestira girls happened Celestia had no reason to mention her so probably kept it to herself besides hardly anyone mentions there mistakes just like raising a child others hate to admit raising them the wrong way and i could bet thats exactly what Celestia thought about the Incident

i'm gonna mention something you said "Celestia has been around for thousands of years" there for she has a HUGE backstory that should be explained yet isn't in the show itself as far as i know (not to be mean to her cause i also like Celestia) she is kinda the Princess Bubblegum of Mlp as well given her life length and the little info on her we have...we know shes reasonable and very knowledgeable but thats about it but is the reason they don't explain her backstory is because all that matters and needs explaining is how she takes care of the kingdom? and if thats the case Sunset Shimmer's backstory does not "Need" more explaining but sure would be Pleasant

Well I kinda got a idea and see it now (talking about it gets your gears turning in thought)

If they did go over this info before in short it would have been easier to understand... But then there would be less "shock and awe" and more "oh that's cool, I guess?" Or maybe "I saw that coming"

I think I will have to check out the comics to get some back stories and more info to tie up loose ends ^-^

Love these discussions, slowly understanding the whole Equestria Girls, even though I still don't really like how there doing the storyline... But eh, gonna have to just accept it... ovO

Lync Volan

Quote from: Hash Myth on 2015 Jan 30, 17:43:49
Well I kinda got a idea and see it now (talking about it gets your gears turning in thought)

If they did go over this info before in short it would have been easier to understand... But then there would be less "shock and awe" and more "oh that's cool, I guess?" Or maybe "I saw that coming"
"i saw that coming" is Literally what i thought when Dj Pon 3 opened that door but everyone else seemed shocked aside from her Bass cannon car whatever its called which did shock me lol
and yes it does get your "gears turning" ^-^ 

Hash Myth

Quote from: Lync Volan on 2015 Jan 31, 06:01:50
and yes it does get your "gears turning" ^-^

Sometimes the hamster falls off the wheel, or runs too fast and then smoke billows out but its okay, I have insurance  lol

Having a hard time finding any comics thus far, but I did find a website that sells digital copies, little expensive right now, will have to wait till they go on sale or something (real copies are ranging too much from first run to re-prints but eh, not that into it yet.

Oh well Season 5 will be out soon anyway, hope it ties together some loose ends, not all, need season 6 right?  ovO

Lync Volan

Quote from: Hash Myth on 2015 Jan 31, 22:55:37
Sometimes the hamster falls off the wheel, or runs too fast and then smoke billows out but its okay, I have insurance  lol

Having a hard time finding any comics thus far, but I did find a website that sells digital copies, little expensive right now, will have to wait till they go on sale or something (real copies are ranging too much from first run to re-prints but eh, not that into it yet.

Oh well Season 5 will be out soon anyway, hope it ties together some loose ends, not all, need season 6 right?  ovO
i pretty much ordered all the comics/books that possibly or do regard Sunset Shimmer now i'm just waiting for my dad to bring them back from New York...i'll also be waiting for a pre ordered book that revolves around Sunset Shimmer during May 5
and of course we need to make 20 Seasons all in all lol

NS2_Lt_Surge

So I finally watched this last night.

I LOVED IT!! It even got me teary eyed at the end with Sunset Shimmer getting her ears and ponytail and then seeing her writing to Twilight. I'm hopefully gonna watch it again tonight with my girlfriend since she hasn't watched it yet.

Lync Volan

Quote from: NS2_Lt_Surge on 2015 Feb 04, 16:13:54
So I finally watched this last night.

I LOVED IT!! It even got me teary eyed at the end with Sunset Shimmer getting her ears and ponytail and then seeing her writing to Twilight. I'm hopefully gonna watch it again tonight with my girlfriend since she hasn't watched it yet.
that scene made me so peppy when i left the movie house and even now whenever i rewatch it...i had plans to watch it with my little cousin in my house but she seems busy with school and the likes :nod:

Go Up