Season 6 Discussion Thread

Started by Crescent Sun, 2016 Feb 14, 20:21:51

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Rasy (Flanniest Flan)

2016 Aug 20, 13:57:55 #100 Last Edit: 2016 Aug 20, 17:32:33 by cshadd
My thoughts for S6-E16:
Spoiler: show

Honestly this was like the normal lesson of not judging a book by its cover. It shows that you cannot judge all Changelings the same, that they are all different. I loved how even Twilight got a friendship lesson of her own. It brings back memories of Season 1.

Really I feel as if this episode portrayed more of ponies being in the very wrong. Their racism against Changelings was shown. I doubt even with Thorax, that ponies will be okay with ALL Changelings after. I also believe that Equestria and the Changeling Empire (Or whatever it is called), will still be in a war type relationship.

I am a bit disappointed in Twilight Sparkle for not acting properly as the Princess of Friendship. If she is to befriend Discord, who actually did more damage to a city than the Changeling attack, then why would she not forgive just one Changeling? It is clear there is some form of racism or whatnot in here. But I rather not delve deep into it.

I do hope Thorax appears again later in the show. And I also wonder if he was the one in Ponyville during that one scene. I didn't like how he was portrayed, I just found the voice a tiny bit weird but that is something I can get over.

Not really much else to say except that this episode indeed made my melt heart. Guess it also did for Thorax.

O. Vannen

Episode 16 - The Times Are a Changeling

Ah, the trope of the odd one out, or however people call it. Despite being part of a race entirely based on the eating of love, wanting to be different since hatching (which I call BS, you just hatched for crying out loud). This has been a recurring problem with MLP; too perfect too quickly. Luna's self-acceptance with her demons, Discord's reformation, and now ONE SONG from Spike of all characters and the parents of the reason this changeling is here now accepts the creature that JUST BARED ITS FANGS IN THE PRESENCE OF FLURRY HEART.
sigh
But I digress, we got to see more of the changelings. We now know they can change into more than just ponies. Add baby dragons and stones to their list.
BUT COULDN'T YOU JUST PICK A NAME BEFORE RETURNING TO THE CRYSTAL EMPIRE????
I'm gonna need to sit on this episode. I'm not sure how I feel about it, yet.

LostSanity

S6E16 thoughts below in spoilers. It could be my last episode ever. Hopefully not though.

Wow. To be honest... I'm not sure there's much I can say about one. That may seem like a bad thing, but, in all honesty, this episode may have been so good that there's just nothing to say.

Let me start by saying that I, myself, have participated in a few MLP: FiM RP's that involved Changeling's that had sort of 'defected' from the Changeling Hive and we're actually 'good' (if you want to call it that)

However... color me surprised to see something like this in 'canon' show format.

The Spike antics were pretty good in this one. He certainly likes abusing his Crystal Empire 'hero' status. Which caused hilarity. I liked that quite a bit.

Everyone freaking out and then they finally find out about the rumored 'Changeling Spy' or whatever.

It was funny to see the guards actually listening to Spike. He's not even royalty. Even the guards look up to him? Not sure that's well placed... more hilarity though.  X3

So... Spike finds the Changeling and freaks out. Understandable. IT FREAKING SAVED HIM.  O:

The backstory... interesting I guess. I suppose it at least seems like it's trying. Though the hissing... I guess he can't control it, but, still...  :I

The birth of Changelings was... creepy...

Spike tries to tell everyone and they all... act like he's a comedian but Shining Armor says it's not a joke.

Things don't go well. So they try the Crystal Pony disguise. Um... wasn't that what they were afraid of in the first place?  X3

Spike's lie to Twilight... well done sir.

Eventually though... he's discovered. They all chase him out and Spike can't do anything but tries to make it up to him. SAVED BY A CHANGELING AGAIN. WHAT. IS. HAPPENING.  ovO

Let me talk about the song. Remember how I don't tend to like songs? But when they're good that's saying something? Yeah. It happened again. The part "darkness can turn to light" made me think of Kingdom Hearts. Reference? Who knows... possibly? One can wish I guess.  :\

The song was quite good. A decent Spike song and a decent song in general if you ask me.

Yes. You all have lots to learn when it comes to friendship.

But... I...

I... just...

*tempted to hit L.A. Noire 'Doubt' button*

*searches for 'Doubt' button*

*can't find it*

:/

I just... I really hope this isn't some devious plot. Seriously. I really hope it's not. But... I have this feeling... that it could be...  :s

Other than my worries that this is just a meticulously thought out villainous plot...

AMAZING.

:D

P.S.: *continues searching for L.A. Noire 'Doubt' button*  :s

P.P.S.: If this is my last MLP: FiM episode ever... it couldn't have ended at a better place. Hopefully not though!! #NeverGiveUp
[shadow=gray,left]I'M ONLY HAPPY WHEN IT REIGNS[/shadow]

The Roman Reigns of the forum

Stardust Dragon

Season 6, episode 17
The short version: Predictable?  Yes.  Fun?  Ooooooh yes.

While I haven't played much of Dungeons and Dragons due to not having a decent sized group of friends, I did enjoy the one opportunity I had to sit in with a group.  And I have always liked the idea of deep-immersion in gaming.  I was kind of hoping to see all of the Mane6 dressed up for the affair, but I'm certain the fanart will fix that by Monday.
Discord was fun in this episode, though the stereotypical reaction to something as nerdy as DnD never sits well with me.  Also Discord moping as he left, if only because I see a little of that in myself and it's a habit I'd like to kick...
Lots of what I felt were good jokes and gags this time around, though maybe I just appreciate that kind of humor when Discord does enter the picture.  Like I mentioned before it was entirely predictable, but the spectacle made up for it.  And I was worried about the quality of the rest of the season because I didn't like "Cart Before the Ponies" and "28 Pranks Later"...

Also, Fluttershy's single eyebrow raise.  Somehow it works better for her than it did for AJ.

LostSanity

S6E17 thoughts below. It's a Discord episode... so... you know...

Hmm... not sure there's much I can say about this one.

Discord likes to prove how much of a jerk he is by making it clear he only likes Fluttershy. 'Opposite' Fluttershy was pretty scary though...  :I

He doesn't even want to try, then, Spike and Big Mac make it seem like they're doing something 'guy related' to get him to come.

That Discord entrance... dude... you're not Lebron James. Nowhere near Lebron James. Go Cavs?  :s

Discord got the wrong idea entirely. A tabletop roleplaying game huh? I've heard of them but never tried them myself. Too complicated for me.  :\

It did sound interesting (at least the one they were playing in this episode) but I don't think I'd ever try them myself. Discord gets bored quickly and not surprisingly. He gets angry and pretty much causes the problem.

Admittedly... the 'gamers want to be in their games' is not exactly true if you ask me. It's true in a small sense, but, your supposed to only immerse yourself in the game. Not actually want to be in the game. Because then you'd literally die if you were in the game. Especially someone like me who isn't physically fit enough to survive very long.  :s

He made it ultra bad for Spike and Big Mac and made me legitimately feel sorry for them. Jerk Discord yet again.  :l

No wonder he doesn't have any friends. Especially when he does stuff like this. I'll admit they got me a little with Spike and Big Mac feeling sorry for him though and they gave him a second chance (how many chances does this make anyway? I've lost count at this point  :l )

Maybe if he wouldn't do crap like this he wouldn't be alone all the time and give stuff a chance and not be jerk about it? Just a thought.  :s

But the ending was actually kind of nice and it wasn't surprising that Rainbow and Pinkie wanted in on it. RAINBOW NINJA.  :P

What was Pinkie supposed to be? A jester? Bard? Gypsy? Unsure there. The ending and the 'real' game gave me Final Fantasy vibes though. Don't know if that's a reference either but I did sort of like that.

I know I'm making it seem like I didn't like this one but that's not really it. I guess I'm just not a Discord fan and likely never will be. Maybe if he would stop causing the problems most of the time in his episodes and just stop being a jerk in general I could like him more. Maybe.

But that's just me I guess. I will say though that the humor in this one was pretty good. That's one of the few things it had going for it.

So I'd say overall this was an 'okay' episode. Not great, not horrible.  :\

Sorry guys. I guess I just can't like Discord.  :s

Rasy (Flanniest Flan)

My thoughts for S6-E17:

This episode was a simple fun to watch episode because it had Discord in it. I am one of the people that like Discord's shenanigans and really enjoyed to see him in another episode. This episode was really predictable in the sense of where he was coming from and where Spike and Big Mac were coming from. It was also predictable to see what would happen next in the next scene. For example, I knew seconds before that he would teleport them into the game when he was angry.

I for one find some disappointment in Discord for not even trying the game before he decided to give up on it at first. However he prevailed in the end.

This episode overall was one of the funniest this season for me.

LostSanity

S6E18 thoughts below.

I actually really liked this one.

I can definitely see the Harry Potter Quidditch influences that I read about on Equestria Daily. It seems like quite the interesting game. I also like that they have sports in Equestria.  ^-^

When Pinkie and Fluttershy ended up really good at the game and it shocked Applejack and Rainbow Dash that was actually pretty funny. It somewhat shocked me as well.  X3

All those failing unicorns... but Snips wasn't and was really good at it?! Okay...  :/

Not surprisingly Dash and Applejack pushed Pinkie and Fluttershy too much during their training and they couldn't take the pressure that they were putting on them as well as the pressure from the town as Dash and Applejack hyped up the game.

Stressed Pinkie and Fluttershy was actually somewhat disheartening. ANGRY FLUTTERSHY IS BACK. OH GOD.  :I

I actually liked the moral in this one too. Some do well under pressure others don't. Plus... from the way I see it... games are supposed to be fun. As long as you have fun playing them, that's really all that should matter if you ask me. That could just be me though.  :s

Luckily Pinkie and Fluttershy have fun again, and Snails too I guess? This of course leads to Ponyville actually winning. Yay.  ^-^

That Appleoosa pegasus in the game is related to Buck Biceps guaranteed.  X3

This was just a really good episode with a good moral. Really liked this one. I'm liking this trend of good episodes.

:D

LostSanity

Apparently I'm the only one discussing episodes on here now. Either way S6E19 thoughts are below:

Not much to say honestly.

First off, what's wrong with pirates? They're pretty cool in One Piece...  :s

Either way...

Apparently there's a griffin that's actually nice. Not only that... but hyper. Like really hyper. Perhaps Gabby should consider decaf?  X3

Admittedly Gabby was pretty cute.  :P

But I can't say much else. It was somewhat disheartening to see the Crusaders actually technically fail. It was coming when Gabby succeeded at everything they had her do.

Twilight's excitement at a research project was funny and disturbing all at the same time.  :I

There's literally nothing else I can really say.

It was an okay episode I guess it just didn't have much else in it.

Sorry I really don't know what else to say because there's not much too say I guess.

Relatively okay episode but there wasn't much content that made me enjoy it as much as the last few episodes did.

:\

Stardust Dragon

Quote from: LostSanity on 2016 Sep 10, 17:56:15
Apparently I'm the only one discussing episodes on here now. Either way S6E19 thoughts are below:

Not much to say honestly.

First off, what's wrong with pirates? They're pretty cool in One Piece...  :s

Either way...

Apparently there's a griffin that's actually nice. Not only that... but hyper. Like really hyper. Perhaps Gabby should consider decaf?  X3

Admittedly Gabby was pretty cute.  :P

But I can't say much else. It was somewhat disheartening to see the Crusaders actually technically fail. It was coming when Gabby succeeded at everything they had her do.

Twilight's excitement at a research project was funny and disturbing all at the same time.  :I

There's literally nothing else I can really say.

It was an okay episode I guess it just didn't have much else in it.

Sorry I really don't know what else to say because there's not much too say I guess.

Relatively okay episode but there wasn't much content that made me enjoy it as much as the last few episodes did.

:\

See, I saw it as "failing at an impossible task".  As far as anypony knows, it's physically impossible for non-ponies to get cutie marks.  Yet they still helped Gabby figure out what her cutie mark would be if it were possible and, more importantly, made her understand what that actually means.  It's not just a physical symbol; the way I see it, it's an etching of the core essence of a pony, who they really are given shape.  Sometimes it's for comedy, sure, but it's still something that only has so much value on it's own, and not having one doesn't make you any different from somepony who does.  Not to mention failure is a part of life, something that has to be dealt with and moved on from; sure it's terrible to experience, but dwelling on it is just as harmful as letting it slide without taking any lessons from it.  The CMC did fail, but they turned it into a success going about it a different way, effectively learning something from the experience.

I really liked this episode, personally.  I agree that Gabby was a little too high-energy for me, those characters tend to bother me after too long.  Gabby very nearly wore her welcome out for me.  And while I was snarky about the CMC: Griffonstone branch, I think it's cute to see such an interspecies friendship like that. Quick and a little forced as is the nature of this show, granted, but still something I can admire.

Kind of like my response to Dungeons and Discords: it was predictable, but I think handled decently.  Not the greatest episode but a good one, and certainly miles ahead of what other shows have done with this exact story.

Rasy (Flanniest Flan)

I didn't cover the last episode because really I just didn't have much to say...

My thoughts for S6-E19:

As far as anyone/anypony/anygriffon knows, it is impossible and unheard of to get a cutiemark as a griffon. Again speculation but I would be thrilled to see a griffon HAVE a cutiemark. Anyways, this episode brought up a few points: Talents can range, and a cutiemark may not reflect only one talent. Also talents are not just the one thing you are set at life to. However your purpose in life may be. And talents do not directly define a purpose in life as you can have many talents that lead up or build up on that purpose. In other words, finding your purpose sometimes means being talented at different things but a talent isn't your purpose.

As for the CMC, I love how they failed but found a way to resurrect and correct that failure by substituting another solution. I guess this episode just has that meaning to never give up. Which they didn't, even after how they failed. Honestly however, the part that got to me the most was when they actually had her start a CMC: Griffonstone branch. I will enjoy to see that, and maybe Gilda again, in future episodes.

P.S. That Pre-Calculus and Physics classes... I don't know what grade they are in but that is some pretty advanced stuff. One thing that bugged me (For reasons that I do not know why) was the fact that the graph in the Pre-Calculus scene was wrong. While sin(x) = y is correct by the Unit Circle Definition, the graph actually documented an inverted cos(x) or more correctly, sin(x-[pi/2]). :P

LostSanity

S6E20 thoughts are in spoilers below as normal.

Las Pegasus, as the name suggests, the pony version of Las Vegas. I was actually a little disappointed we didn't get to see more of it other than the one location.

Either way there's not much I can say about this one either.

I couldn't blame Applejack for not wanting to help Flim and Flam. They're jerks and anything that happens to them they deserve.  :l

To be completely honest though... the Flim and Flam fight actually reminded me of the Friends Forever MLP comic where it happened as well so it was almost the same thing all over again. So I sort of felt like I had seen this before.  :s

The new 'recurring' theme in media. TV shows, cartoons, video games, etc. seems to be corporate corruption where heads of business are actually malicious villains. Malicious is too strong a word for what was going on here but it was still corruption no matter how you look at it.

I once again felt for Applejack when she didn't want to work with Flim and Flam but I guess there was little choice.

The part at the end actually reminded me of Spiral (anime/manga) where they did something similar. So I did sort of like that.

Not surprisingly Flim and Flam return to their jerkish tendencies at the end of the episode.  :l

I'd say this was an 'okay' episode. Nothing outstanding or amazing honestly.

:s

Zodia195

Quote from: LostSanity on 2016 Sep 17, 17:57:47
S6E20 thoughts are in spoilers below as normal.

Las Pegasus, as the name suggests, the pony version of Las Vegas. I was actually a little disappointed we didn't get to see more of it other than the one location.

Either way there's not much I can say about this one either.

I couldn't blame Applejack for not wanting to help Flim and Flam. They're jerks and anything that happens to them they deserve.  :l

To be completely honest though... the Flim and Flam fight actually reminded me of the Friends Forever MLP comic where it happened as well so it was almost the same thing all over again. So I sort of felt like I had seen this before.  :s

The new 'recurring' theme in media. TV shows, cartoons, video games, etc. seems to be corporate corruption where heads of business are actually malicious villains. Malicious is too strong a word for what was going on here but it was still corruption no matter how you look at it.

I once again felt for Applejack when she didn't want to work with Flim and Flam but I guess there was little choice.

The part at the end actually reminded me of Spiral (anime/manga) where they did something similar. So I did sort of like that.

Not surprisingly Flim and Flam return to their jerkish tendencies at the end of the episode.  :l

I'd say this was an 'okay' episode. Nothing outstanding or amazing honestly.

When you mentioned Spiral, you mean the one with the Blade Children right?  Sorry I know that's off topic.

LostSanity

Quote from: Zodia195 on 2016 Sep 18, 00:26:10
When you mentioned Spiral, you mean the one with the Blade Children right?  Sorry I know that's off topic.

Correct.

Stardust Dragon

S6E21:

I'll be the first to admit I'm not a fan of Starlight Glimmer.  I concede that she's very different from Sunset Shimmer, who I vastly prefer, and they are from two different "franchises", so to speak, with Sunset taking roles up in Equestria Girls and not likely to return to Equestria.  I still prefer Sunset Shimmer and feel like Starlight is too similar, even given a different history. 

So when I say I liked this episode, it isn't necessarily good for Starlight.  I like the fact that this episode and others like it (What About Discord springs to mind) sort of make fun of the show's tenancy to rush out a happy ending in an episode.  In both this and What About Discord, the redeemed character still shows tendencies that are more in line with their pre-reformed selves; it takes Starlight no time at all to go fishing for a mind-controlling spell when things stop going her way, and even when I believe she didn't mean it maliciously she still did enchant her closest friends specifically to get her way, and only realized why this is a terrible idea after it had gone predictably wrong.

Plots that involve this kind of "blank puppet" mind control, especially those that demonstrate it with a blank voice, really creep me out.  I think it's something about having the self-actualization drained out of the victim that gets to me: I don't mind someone giving up personal freedom if it's their own decision, but having it forced on them like what happened in this episode is...deeply unsettling.  I did at least laugh at the predictable shenanigans of "exact wording" errors, especially after I spotted a Youtube comment that likened it to computer programming.  I'm not a programmer myself, but I understand enough to believe that's entirely true.

In the end, I am glad to see more of Starlight, oddly enough.  She's still not high on my list, but seeing her character turning around slowly does make it more interesting and believable.  She might win me over one of these days, but today was not it.

LostSanity

*sighs*

You really shouldn't read this. Seriously. You shouldn't. If you do... it's at your own risk. Here are S6E21 thoughts:

So apparently... Starlight solves all her problems with magic. I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHERE TO START WITH THIS.

There are 3 things to keep in mind about how ridiculous this was.

First of all... YOU DON'T USE MAGIC TO SOLVE ALL YOUR PROBLEMS YOU ****ING DUMBASS>:/

Second of all... THAT SPELL WAS BASICALLY A MIND CONTROL SPELL YOU *****.   >:(

and Third of all... YOU DON'T USE MAGIC ON YOUR FRIENDS. BOY YOU REALLY DON'T HAVE ANY COMMON SENSE DO YOU?   :l

This is... reminding me of something... I wonder what...?  :s

THANK GOD Twilight was there to save the say from this idiot's stupidity AGAIN:l

But... you know... we're just going to forgive her despite the MULTIPLE THINGS SHE DID WRONG YET AGAIN.  :x

This character is now on a very thin leash with me. If this happens ONE MORE TIME she's back to 'NOT REDEEMED' Character.

The only thing this episode seemed to prove is that Starlight Glimmer is a ****ING DUMBASS.  :\

Told you not to read it...

LostSanity

S6E22 thoughts below. Nothing bad this time.

There's not much to say about this one. Still though, I at least enjoyed this one significantly more than the last one.  :s

This was the seeming age-old problem of people have different points of view of something happening and whose at fault for them. Every time each story is different. This was also no different.

Each versions were interesting and unique in their own way. But each also had a somewhat OOC pony.

What was with 'pirate Applejack' in Rarity's version? That was creepy and funny all at the same time.  X3

The Rarity in Pinkie's version was quite the jerk. It made it seem like she felt she was 'above' Applejack and Pinkie.  :l

The Applejack version of Pinkie was... kind of creepy honestly...  :I

Twilight has come to save the day two episodes in a row now. Good for her.  ^-^

A new monster/beast was introduced as well. It's always cool and interesting when they do that.  :)

The monster actually seemed quite pleasant. If that's really what it's like... I'd be friends with it.  :D

Twilight always figuring out the truth. She's quite the mystery solver.  ^-^

In the end there wasn't anything 'amazing' or 'outstanding' in this episode but it was still interesting, had it's moments, and I still enjoyed it.

:)

LostSanity

S6E23 thoughts below, in spoilers, as normal.

Backstory episodes are always interesting and intriguing because it reveals more about certain characters. This one was no different.

Wow, Big Mac was quite the chatterbox in the past!! To be completely honest, I'm glad he doesn't talk like that now, it'd actually be kind of annoying and too much talking.  X3

It wasn't that surprising when Applejack's lies started making this worse and worse and it just got compounded when she made more and more lies. This is actually a good moral because constantly lying will only make your problems worse and not better.  :I

It's good to know that Filthy Rich's wife was just as much of a jerkass in the past that she is now. At least she's consistent?  :s

I actually just really liked this episode in general because it gave us more backstory on Applejack, as well as Big Mac, and how she developed her honesty streak.

I tend to like backstory episodes because we get a better 'feel' for characters and how they developed who they are.

The episode itself, once again, may not have been 'outstanding' or 'amazing' but I still liked it due to the fact that it was a backstory episode.

^-^

LostSanity

S6E24 thoughts are below in spoilers.

I don't think there's much I can say about this one. Not that it's a bad thing.

The running gag of Rainbow Dash having to go back to the Wonderbolt Headquarters was actually legitimately funny. To me anyway.  :P

Twilight shows off her funny self once again when she gets excited about teaching.  X3

Now about the actual episode and the characters. I actually liked Vapor Trail. She was cute. Plus, I can kind of understood her dilemma about being an only child as I am an only child myself. I don't think my parents smothered me with love like Vapor's parents seemed to be doing, but there were certainly moments where they did spoil me at times. Did I take advantage of that? Maybe. Guess it comes with being an only child but I understood her dilemma nonetheless.

As for Sky I couldn't understand his dilemma, as, like I said, I was an only child and didn't have any siblings. He was way to cocky for his own good. His ego was way too high. Kind of made me not like him.  :l

However Vapor wanting to help him was understandable I suppose. But she helped him too much. This lead to the obvious problem. Vapor just wanted to be with Sky. What is she, his shadow?  :s

Well either way the episode where Sky and Vapor were trained by Twilight and Rainbow was actually pretty cool and I liked it. Because it showed that you can accomplish whatever you want if you put your mind to it and actually put the necessary work/training/whatever into it and give it your all. Work hard and you achieve results. I actually kind of liked that moral.

Not much else I can say. Looks like Vapor and Sky are on their way to possibly becoming Wonderbolts. Let's just hope they don't become better than Rainbow Dash for their sakes and Rainbow Dash's.  X3

Either way this was a pretty 'okay' episode and I enjoyed it.

LostSanity

2016 Oct 22, 19:00:52 #118 Last Edit: 2016 Oct 22, 20:09:00 by LostSanity
Well... you should all know what to expect from me at this point. In other words, don't be surprised at what's below here. So, it's going to be in spoilers for 'those' kinds of people so they can just ignore it.

S6 Finale thoughts below.

To be completely honest... I'm not sure what I can say here.

Starlight doesn't want to be in charge again huh? Well... MAYBE THAT'S BECAUSE SHE DOESN'T DESERVE TO. JUST LIKE SHE DOESN'T DESERVE ALL THIS CRAP THAT'S BEEN GIVEN TO HER ON A SILVER PLATTER. Why does that seem familiar? Seth Rollins? Kevin Owens? No? Just me? Whatever.  :l

I liked the Derpy part though.  :P

Plus I liked Luna being in this even though she was being too nice to Starlight.

So... why is this show expecting me to like Trixie? Because that's NEVER going to happen. I'm sorry it's just not. Trixie is an egotistical self righteous jerk who clearly goes out of her way to get on Twilight's nerve's. That's not 'funny.' That's idiotic and proves she doesn't learn ANYTHING.

Oh good. We're going to throw Discord into this too. Because... you know... that'll totally make me like this episode more.  :l

I love how he continues to prove how much of a jerk he is. He only cares about Fluttershy and no one else. OH WAIT. NO I DON'T. I DON'T LIKE THIS AT ALL.   >:/

I'm actually okay with Thorax though. Still... I really don't understand this. I would have enjoyed this episode a whole lot more if the team was the Slice of Life characters. Seriously. I would have. How come they couldn't have done them instead?  :s

I will admit a few things however.

First off, Chrysalis' plan was actually pretty decent and well thought out. Practically all the ponies were out of commission. So, instead, we have to rely on a bunch of NOT REDEEMED side characters (sans one) to save us.

I will admit though, I like them trying to have 'side characters' having to rescue the Mane 6 from the evil. I just wish it would have been other characters.

However, I liked the Discord and Trixie bickering. That was quite funny and good.  X3

So now we move on to the actual rescue mission. Which, I'll once again admit, had it's moments. Trixie's illusions actually being good and useful?! Discord doing ridiculous bad comedy that works as a distraction?! It was all shocking, ridiculous, and great all at the same time.  :P

To be even more honest though, and I REALLY hate to admit this, but despite Starlight not wanting to be in charge of something, the plans she came up with were actually pretty decent and well thought out. Especially at the end.  o_O

Now of course... the moment of truth. Thorax being the key wasn't really all that surprising honestly. Then that transformation... WHAT?! I mean... at least there were other Changelings that seemed to realize how much of a crazy tyrant Chrysalis was... but seriously... what the hell was that supposed to be?! A deer? A deer bug?! Not that I'm saying it was ugly or anything. It was just... kind of... weird...  o.O

Honestly... I kind of see what other people were saying about these 'new' Changelings not catching on. Because I don't think they will. It's possible they might if we see more of them, but, I suppose it will depend on the person in question.  :\

However... THANK GOD CHRYSALIS WASN'T REDEEMED OR REFORMED AT THE END. SERIOUSLY. I AM SO FREAKING SICK AND TIRED OF THIS REDEEMED/REFORMED CRAP. If that would have happened... I don't think I would have been able to take this crap anymore. I probably would have left the fandom. THANK GOD FOR NO CRYSALIS REDEEMPTION.

So... overall?

I'd say... it's about the same as the S6 premier was. However... it was probably better than the premier.

So... in summary...

It wasn't 'great' but it wasn't 'awful' either.

I'm sorry. Really I am. But I'm just NEVER going to like Discord and Trixie and I could care less about Starlight. This will likely never change either. EVER.

My main issue was the characters and the team. That's basically my issue with it. But it's a legitimate issue. To me anyway.

So... overall... I'd say...

S6 was 'average.' It had it's moments and a few decent episodes but that's about it really.

I guess I should just be glad that something else didn't happen that would be my 'last straw' to make me leave the fandom. Which I am.

Here's hoping S7 is better.

Controversy abound as always,

LostSanity

Stardust Dragon

Season 6 finale:
Overall feeling: Not bad.  Again had the elements of a rushed conclusion that I struggle to live with, but like I've said before this show kind of relies on them in one respect, works with/around them later.  So I'll try to wait til season 7 before I condemn any actions.

Now as for the details...

I liked how our quartet of heroes came together, it seemed like it would make sense...except maybe why Thorax was sneaking about in changeling form in the forest near the castle.  Everyone in the castle knows what his pony form looks like, why wouldn't he just walk up and knock on the front door? 

Explaining Chrysalis' throne needs a little expansion, but I can accept it.  It might actually lend credence to a fanfiction notion I made involving one of my characters, if I stretched it enough...but that's not for here.  The rest of the world-building was interesting, though I have to wonder if the fact that Equestria is making all these connections to every other race on the planet is going to lead somewhere down the line...

Loved Chrysalis not being reformed at the end.  I kind of want her to stay a villain til the end of the series at least: I heard it pointed out that not everyone is receptive to change, and I think having a major threat be treated like that would be a good, balancing lesson this show seems pretty good at keeping up with.

I finally started to feel like Starlight is being redeemed.  I'm still wary of her, but the fact that she showed a conscious fear of how easy it could be for her to slip back into her power-hungry state made me realize she has been changing: her instincts might need work (still looking at you, Every Little Thing She Does), but Starlight is aware of why this is terrible.  Her endorsement from my princess Luna certainly didn't hurt, though I'm not convinced by her "I see much of myself in you" remark...

Trixie was also a fun addition to the story.  I have not been her biggest supporter (in fact she still drives me up the wall; it's that arrogant attitude of hers), but I'm convinced she'll take that breaking speech Discord gave her to heart.  I don't want her to give up performing, but I'd love for it to teach her just a little modesty while offstage.  Plus the idea of her and Discord teaming up to create a chaos-fueled stage show is just too great to pass up.

As for the new changeling designs...eh.  I sort of like the basic form save their tails, it does make them a distinct race and not just "ponies with something new attached", lets them be unique within their own culture thanks to the new colors, but I kind of liked the form we've become used to seeing.  That, and Thorax's new design just looks awful: I think it's mainly those bug-pincer antlers of his, it just looks ridiculous. 

And one more thing about the changelings: I can respect that they were repressed by Chrysalis' orders, but within moments of being shown another way, they can start to openly share love with others?  Something that I suspect took most of "Times They Are A Changeling" to accomplish for one, abnormal changeling?  This is probably more the "rushed ending" issue of mine again, but suddenly having the entire hive transform after only one changeling, which had been marked a deviant and traitor, showed off this unique trick.  Sorry, I just don't buy they figured that out so quickly...I wouldn't have a problem with them taking time to reflect on it, still rejecting Chrysalis but not grasping it and transforming just yet, but that went past reflection and into full-on embracing an entirely different approach to life far too quickly for my tastes.

Go Up