3D, 2D, Concept Art, Writing, Design, and Programming departments recruiting!

Started by Ellowee, 2013 Jul 02, 01:11:31

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Ellowee

Greetings, everypony! While I was wandering around behind the scenes, I noticed that Legends of Equestria needs more team members to make this game the best that it can be. After all, it takes a large team to work on a project as grand as Legends of Equestria! If your skills fit what we're looking for, go ahead and send us an application. When you apply, we will need to see examples of what you can do, so don't be afraid to show off your talent!

We're looking for talented individuals with skills in these areas:

3D Modelers and Animators - 3D team
To apply for the 3D team, please email [email protected] with links to examples of your skills. Any additional unrelated, high quality designs you have done helps too. Applicants must have working knowledge of 3D modeling and/or animating and be willing to learn, design critically, and give and take critique. It is preferred that applicants have a specialty in organic modeling, 3D animation and rigging, terraforming, or any combination thereof. Please include how much time you are able to devote to Legends of Equestria, as well as a list of programs that you use.

Texture Artists - 2D team
To apply for the 2D team, please email [email protected] and [email protected] with a link to an online portfolio containing examples of your skills. The 2D team leads would like to see plenty of examples of environmental art or textured 3D art, rather than 2D character work or fan art. Applicants must understand the basics of color theory, be able to mimic the art style of the environments and buildings in My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, and be able to create vector graphics. Please state how much time you are able to devote to Legends of Equestria, and remember that you will be expected to complete at least one texture per week. Access to programs such as Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, or Flash is not necessary but would be very beneficial.

Concept Artists
To apply for the concept art team, please email [email protected] with a link to an online portfolio containing examples of your drawing skill. Although the team is looking for individuals who are comfortable with drawing characters, creatures, and architecture in the style of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, we would like for your portfolio to contain something other than My Little Pony fanart. Your email should also include your Skype username, the amount of time you are able to devote to the project, and your strengths and weaknesses that are relevant to the position. Please keep in mind that the concept art team is hiring on a rolling basis, so you can apply at any time.

Writers
Applicants for the writing department must submit one or more examples of their writing to [email protected]. Creative prose is preferred, but not completely necessary.
All applications must be submitted via email with a link to a Google Doc in the application. Your name must also be included. Any applicants who are copying from an outside source such as Microsoft Word must paste the text directly into Google Docs rather than uploading a file. They must also be visible to the parties which will judge entries. Submissions which require a download or do not have proper permissions will be ignored. Examples must be at least one page in length and cannot have been edited by any outside party. Experience is not necessary, but any applicants capable of listing qualifications should do so. After applicants have been reviewed, the most favorable will receive a prompt, at which point they will have one week to submit a story that falls within the guidelines of this prompt. After these have been judged, the new writers will be announced.

Designers
To apply for the design team, please email [email protected] with examples of design materials, as well as how much time you are able to devote to the project. Prefered examples are design documents which focus on gameplay mechanics, systems, and the equations and numbers which make those systems tick. Potential design team members should be able to contribute to discussions about ability trees, as well as independently write complex design documents which focus on attribute balance and gameplay integration. Potential design team members with large scale map layout abilities will also be considered.

Programmers
Potential programmers should be proficient in C# and the use of code to design working mechanics applicable to a 3D MMO environment. Experience and integration in Unity 3D is extremely helpful. To apply please send relevant examples of creative code design and a list of software you use/know to [email protected].

Only the applicants that the respective team leader is interested in will receive response emails.

Julius

Quote from: Ellowee on 2013 Jul 02, 01:11:31Only the applicants that the respective team leader is interested in will receive response emails.

While that makes me feel good and proud about myself thanks to my previous application, I feel everyone deserves at least a simple "No, thank you". It only takes a moment to write that after reading an application, and it's kinda mean to leave people waiting for a reply they'll never get. :s

And no, I won't be applying again just yet, I still need to work on my art. ^-^

Good luck everyone! :)
Purr~

katikas

If I had more experience with meshes and items in Feral Heart (not trying to go off topic here  X3 ) then I would send an e mail or whatever, but I know nothing about those...  :c

Asterian Starfall

I have experience in writing... Well, not professional experience, but... I just hope I'm skilled enough.

Anyway, I'm trying out for it. I look forward to hearing from Mr. Bloomberg soon!
"Luck is how you explain an overly-variabled scenario that went in your favor." - Asterian Élire Starfall

Weatherboy1

Don't we have to be a certain age to try out? Although I don't think I can qualify for any of these (well maybe Writer, but... I bet some one else is better than me)

Asterian Starfall

Quote from: Weatherboy1 on 2013 Jul 04, 11:46:26
Don't we have to be a certain age to try out? Although I don't think I can qualify for any of these (well maybe Writer, but... I bet some one else is better than me)

From what I can tell, as long as you're 16 years of age, you can apply.
"Luck is how you explain an overly-variabled scenario that went in your favor." - Asterian Élire Starfall

Dark_Twilight

You could have just updated the recruit thread from march with new info and stick it.

Other than that this recruitment should be made a little diffrent since most people here are just fans of the show and not everyone have their own portfolios. There is a 3D modeling subforum why not look first there?

Also if you say that "Only the applicants that the respective team leader is interested in will receive response emails" then say for example if they do not get a reply within X time they were not choosen.

Other than that. Textures for 3D models are Raster graphics not Vector. And Illustrator and Flash (GUI Elements (js, AC2/AC3)) should be under Programming not 2D and also terraforming in programming since unity has a terrain tool. Why it is made in blender and maya is a diffrent story but could explain the holes in terrain when you suddenly fall into Void.

Tekner

Quote from: Asterian on 2013 Jul 04, 11:52:56
From what I can tell, as long as you're 16 years of age, you can apply.
Generally it's 16 for the "creative" positions such as art and music, and 18 for the more technical/mature positions such as modeling, programming, and writing.

Quote from: Dark_Twilight on 2013 Jul 04, 12:22:25
Other than that. Textures for 3D models are Raster graphics not Vector.

Strictly speaking, the 2D team does just that: 2D. It says textures here probably because that's what we need the most of, but the 2D team does more than that usually. You should know that vector can easily be converted to raster, anyhow, so what difference does it make?
Quote from: Dark_Twilight on 2013 Jul 04, 12:22:25And Illustrator and Flash (GUI Elements (js, AC2/AC3)) should be under Programming not 2D
Uh, no, it shouldn't. Both tools, especially illustrator, are for rapid art creation, not code. Yes you can "code" in flash, but logically, if flash is mentioned in the 2D section, it's referring to the art aspect of flash... Even if it wasn't, flash is nothing like Unity, Visual Studio, or C#. You can't transfer skills from one to the other in the slightest.
Quote from: Dark_Twilight on 2013 Jul 04, 12:22:25terraforming in programming since unity has a terrain tool. Why it is made in blender and maya is a diffrent story but could explain the holes in terrain when you suddenly fall into Void.
First off, Unity does not equate to Programming. Unity is a video game IDE. You can't even enter code into Unity. Also, just because unity has a terrain system, that doesn't mean we'll solely use it. There are more situations than not where we'll prefer a modeled terrain over a heightmap, which is what Unity's terrain system is: a very low-resolution heightmap. One such disadvantage of a heightmap is that the normals only face in a positive direction. I.e. You can't make a ceiling with it.

I appreciate your unique style of trying to help, but it's both not necessary and largely incorrect or out of context.

AntlerShy

QuoteTextures for 3D models are Raster graphics not Vector

Well, the texture format may be a raster image, that doesn't exclude the use of vectoring for the creation of that image.

QuoteAnd Illustrator and Flash (GUI Elements (js, AC2/AC3)) should be under Programming not 2D and also terraforming in programming since unity has a terrain tool. Why it is made in blender and maya is a diffrent story but could explain the holes in terrain when you suddenly fall into Void.

Illustrator and Flash are tools used to create vector graphics, they have nothing to do with programming in our context. We don't use Flash directly for GUI as in e.g. Scaleform, so there's no scripting involved in our case. I'm not sure why you'd associate terraforming with programming. It doesn't mean scripted realtime terraforming in the game or anything, if that's what you thought.
There are several reasons why Unity's terrain tool isn't always the way to go. You can create mountains, but you could never put a cave in them.

Asterian Starfall

Quote from: Tekner on 2013 Jul 04, 14:35:46
Generally it's 16 for the "creative" positions such as art and music, and 18 for the more technical/mature positions such as modeling, programming, and writing.

Ah. Thank you for clarifying that. I figured you had to be older for the programming jobs and what not.

Dark_Twilight

Strictly speaking, the 2D team does just that: 2D. It says textures here probably because that's what we need the most of, but the 2D team does more than that usually. You should know that vector can easily be converted to raster, anyhow, so what difference does it make?

Diffrence is less confusion.

Model>Unwrap UV>Send UV to 2D to make the texture> Send texture back

But 2D team still need to have general view how 3d model looks. So they have to be able to display texture on model unless you want to send texture back and forth.

Also if the end format is raster and in the annoucement was mentioned

"The 2D team leads would like to see plenty of examples of environmental art or textured 3D art, rather than 2D character work or fan art."

Preferring knowledge in vector graphic does not fit into it.

Uh, no, it shouldn't. Both tools, especially illustrator, are for rapid art creation, not code. Yes you can "code" in flash, but logically, if flash is mentioned in the 2D section, it's referring to the art aspect of flash... Even if it wasn't, flash is nothing like Unity, Visual Studio, or C#. You can't transfer skills from one to the other in the slightest.

Since Asterian said that Flash is not used for creating GUI and 2D team is generally for making texture maps there is no reason to even mention Flash. Environment map is also just a texture over hemisphere.

Looks like those programs were just mentioned out of blue even if there is no real requirement for them. Or the shill requirements is not detailed enough.

First off, Unity does not equate to Programming. Unity is a video game IDE. You can't even enter code into Unity. Also, just because unity has a terrain system, that doesn't mean we'll solely use it. There are more situations than not where we'll prefer a modeled terrain over a heightmap, which is what Unity's terrain system is: a very low-resolution heightmap. One such disadvantage of a heightmap is that the normals only face in a positive direction. I.e. You can't make a ceiling with it.

Who would make ceiling with terrain tool.. You either import it from other program or just use square shaped brush or box

Also it was not me that put Unity into "Programmers" section in first post.

I appreciate your unique style of trying to help, but it's both not necessary and largely incorrect or out of context.

What can i say? Annoucement is not detailed enough. Also you only quoted the technical part and skipped first part.

@AntlerShy
Ad1 As i mentioned annoucement is not detailed enough
Ad2 terraforming in programming since terrain tool in uni and even if not used that, one needs to generate collisions for said terrain in the game engine. As for the cave. For already created mountain you could just put imported asstet from other program and align it to look like entrance and insides.

GlassMirror

I already sent mines, i don't know if i nee  to send it again O:

Asterian Starfall

Quote from: GlassMirror on 2013 Jul 04, 16:47:24
I already sent mines, i don't know if i nee  to send it again O:

Ooooh. Which position is that? 2D Artist?

RawRRampancy

Sent mine in for a 2D Concept Artist! Really hope I get it! *crosses fingers hooves*  :3

Asterian Starfall

Quote from: Dark_Twilight on 2013 Jul 04, 16:44:26
Since Asterian said that Flash is not used for creating GUI and 2D team is generally for making texture maps there is no reason to even mention Flash. Environment map is also just a texture over hemisphere.

Is there another "Asterian" I don't know about? I'm pretty sure I didn't say that.

MiJyn

... and 18 for the more technical/mature positions such as modeling, programming, and writing. ...

O_O I'll have a tough time trying to get my application in then, I'm underage for BOTH XD

Oh well, whatever, I sent mine in anyways for programming... just in case =P
"I am your father" - Darth Vader (previously known as Anakin Skywalker)

Billow Pillow

I've went and submitted and application for the design team.  Now we playing the waiting game.  :nod:
Senpai Notice me

LOE Craft: Here
My OC: Here
Dragon Cave Click Meow.

Aderoth

sent in my application for the texture artist position I am fresh out of college for video game design and I really like My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic! :D So I am willing to work where ever they want me!!!  <3  X3 I am hoping I get to work on this awesome project!

Bluebell

Sent mine in for writing. *crosses hooves* I have my doubts but I thought I might as well!

Asterian Starfall

Quote from: Bluebell on 2013 Jul 06, 10:54:54
Sent mine in for writing. *crosses hooves* I have my doubts but I thought I might as well!

I wish you the best of luck, fellow writer.

Go Up