Computer Hardware Issues

Started by Firey, 2012 Nov 27, 07:12:01

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Firey

So like...
I was AFK from my laptop and then I heard this loud crashing sound
so I rushed into my room to see what happened and my desk
was lying across the floor. (One of those small desks that you assemble together yourself)

From what I determined, one side of the desk was loose and caused the whole thing to collapse.
I went to check my laptop and it was in the restarting phrase so I waited and logged in
and it seemed all normal until I encountered my first problem.
The computer was EXTREMELY laggy, it took 5 minutes to open My Computer.
So I tried opening other programs such as Google Chrome and Skype
but they all lagged as well.

The next day I took my laptop to school to get it checked by the IT service desk.
They ran the boot scan and the results showed that my hard drive was completely corrupted.
I lost all my videos, pictures, games and music but worst of all, I lost my assignments and work
folders and so prior to this incident, I've been REALLY behind in assignments.
Now I have to wait for the hard drive to be replaced.

Have you experienced any hardware/computer issues?
The pain of loneliness...it hurts...

SweBow

Believe it or not. You can actually get your assignments out form that faultyharddrive by putting it in the freezer over night, take it out and plug it in to a USB reader. I recommend a computer that runs linux for this operation.

I done it at work a couple of times. Exactly the same issue.

LaptopCommandStation

Quote from: SweBow on 2012 Nov 27, 07:17:57
Believe it or not. You can actually get your assignments out form that faultyharddrive by putting it in the freezer over night, take it out and plug it in to a USB reader. I recommend a computer that runs linux for this operation.

I've never done this but i've heard of it being done.

Computer issues?
Spoiler: Does this count? • show

Well my old laptop had this issue where the fan would shut off after startup and never come back on, making it overheat.  So one day out of my own stupidity I decided to take it apart and see if I can see a problem.  I broke the wires connecting the screen to the laptop, so it didn't work, therefore I took it off completely.  It also doesn't hold a charge...

I also had a HDD fail on me, lost alot of old projects back when I used to animate

Xeno Aura

Had a couple of laptops with overheated graphics cards, causing artefacts to be shown on screen, before complete system failure.

A few months after a housefire, my PC just stopped booting, guessing it took some smoke damage that took a while to affect it.

The first time we tried our ethernet hub after the housefire, it caught fire and started smoking through the vents, that was a bit odd.

My cousin stepped on one of our laptops many years ago, which destroyed a lot of crystals on the screen. Looked kind of like:

Had another laptop with a HDD failure.

My current laptop has a faulty power port, sometimes loses power, also has a battery which doesn't hold charge. And another laptop with a DVD drive that makes odd noises.

I hate laptops.... :P

Lord of Madness

if you keep your computer in a freezer while operating it, it can become almost 500% more efficient! (in rare cases that is.) mostly because  the computer becomes much more efficiently able to get rid of heat.

Julius

Quote from: Lord of Madness on 2012 Nov 27, 12:02:41

if you keep your computer in a freezer while operating it, it can become almost 500% more efficient! (in rare cases that is.) mostly because  the computer becomes much more efficiently able to get rid of heat.

... Really? You make me want to test that... ovO

My sister sat on my old Mac a few years ago. >:/

Luckily, nothing was lost apart from the screen.
Purr~

LaptopCommandStation

Lord of Madness

Quote from: LaptopCommandStation on 2012 Nov 27, 14:03:15

I think I love you...

Xeno Aura

lol amazing that I posted in this thread shortly before another hardware issue.

My CMOS battery came loose just over 2 hours ago.

I told my PC to shut down, and it was shutting down for about 10 minutes, it had no updates to install, so I manually turned it off. An hour later I turned it on again, the fans were spinning at full and there was no display, so I looked at the motherboard and the CMOS battery had come out of its slot slightly, shoved it back in and the PC is working fine now, thankfully.

Lord of Madness

So much happening here O _O

Firey

Quote from: Lord of Madness on 2012 Nov 27, 22:20:01
So much happening here O _O

But can you see why kids love the taste of Cinnamon Toast Crunch?
The pain of loneliness...it hurts...

Book Smarts

The crash could have caused the pin in the hard drive to go off it's normal path and scrape the little disks that it scans  :I

Go Up