Bronies and G1 MLP

Started by Applestack, 2013 Aug 28, 10:17:06

previous topic - next topic

Do the majority of bronies hate the 1st generation of My Little Pony?

Yes
14 (36.8%)
No, only the minority do
24 (63.2%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Go Down

Mizuki

2014 Apr 30, 01:33:24 #60 Last Edit: 2014 Apr 30, 01:37:35 by Mizuki
I think as a whole, yeah, a majority of so-called bronies hate G1. If you've ever read the comments section of an EQD post (protip: don't do it, the comments are always awful) you always see sentiments such as "KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!" and "EWWW" and "tHEY're so UGLYYYYY AND FAAAAAT EWWWWWWW"

It makes me want to enjoy all the previous gens just to spite those types of bronies, in all honesty

As for my actual opinion?

I like looking at the franchise from a historical perspective. I like hearing about how it all got started. I like seeing what the toys and the toy commercials were like. I can even enjoy some of the old animations just 'cause the 80's and early 90's stuff has such a retro vibe.

I un-ironically like the animated TV special, Rescue from Midnight Castle. Yeah it's pretty stupid, but in a "so bad it's good" kind of way, and there are some things about it that're also legitimately good on top of that! :D

Spoiler: show

The series that spawned from this is pretty awful, (and the movies) but not nearly as awful as everybody makes them out to be? They just seemed like your typical 80's cartoon sort of fare, just ultra girly on top of that. Or what Hasbro executives "assumed" was girly at the time.

Not a huge fan of the G1 toys though. Not because they're "fat" or anything, I just don't like the way the heads and legs are designed, and I gravitated more towards "majestic & realistic horse toys" when I was a little girl anyway. (G1 was before my time though, 'cause I was born in '89)

Speaking of Majestic & Realistic....

These are G1's "Dream Beauties" line- they were marketed as an "all grown up" my little pony, aimed at the original bunch of little girls who grew up with MLP. (so they were aimed at big girls/pre-teens etc)

and...I reeeeally want one!!!

*Ahem* anyway...

My Little Pony Tales (which is still part of G1 btw) is kind of my guilty pleasure. It's just pure, distilled "early 90's" garbage, but in a way that feels really nostalgic. (Which is weird, 'cause around the time that show was on TV, I was mostly watching The Muppet Babies instead) Plus they gave the girls decent personalities, even if everyone had their jerk-moments.

G2 is the least popular, even among old-school fans. But I never really understood why. The playsets were cheap and they didn't even get a show, but I think the toys are super cute!

I dislike G3 because they really "dumbed it down" for little girls. The only thing that G3 had going for it was the cooler play sets and a bigger variety of Ponies to play with. (seriously look them up sometime) That and it seemed like a female-only utopia, and I kinda wouldn't mind vacationing there *-*

We do not Speak of G3.5, nor the New Born Cuties. These were dark times.

Yikes this turned out longer than I thought, I'm sorry for being such a big nerd :I

Not to be confused with Zukiuke

Zhai

^woah thanks! I like to know more about MLP history. its interesting! I've never watched old MLP gens and knew nothing about it. but we had a MLP toy when i was a kid, but they throw it away i wish i could see a photo of that pony toy again  DD:

Quote from: Night Pony on 2013 Aug 28, 14:18:32
Actually previous Twilight is current Twilight's mom.

Post Merge

woaah very cool! I love how lauren made the G1 to G4 conversion and how G3 influentied! i really didnt know anything, only twilight. pinkie pie concept art feels so weeeeird tho  lol

I like applejack and posey G1 toys   :3
Tropico, Tomato Max and Carrot

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Zhai on 2014 May 01, 00:52:55
Quote from: Night Pony on 2013 Aug 28, 14:18:32
Actually previous Twilight is current Twilight's mom.

Post Merge

woaah very cool! I love how lauren made the G1 to G4 conversion and how G3 influentied! i really didnt know anything, only twilight. pinkie pie concept art feels so weeeeird tho  lol

I like applejack and posey G1 toys   :3

Lauren Faust made those conversions because she had to, to be honest. Originally, she wanted the mane six to be those G1 ponies, but Hasbro informed her that they don't have the copyrights for any G1 characters except Applejack and Spike anymore. So, Faust looked to G3 for help.

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

WolfKomoki

Quote from: Yellowpikmin476 on 2013 Aug 28, 13:46:40
Scootaloo existed prior to FIM?

So did Sweetiebelle. They were mares in G3.

Go Up