Amnesia: Machine For Pigs

Started by Midnight Breeze, 2013 Sep 10, 19:39:29

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Midnight Breeze

2013 Sep 10, 19:39:29 Last Edit: 2013 Sep 10, 23:43:31 by Midnight Breeze
If you're going to get this game, no need to wait for the price to drop...because it's already only 20 USD.

Spoiler: show

I finished the game in 5 hours of playtime. Definitely a downgrade from Dark Descent. There is no health, sanity, or even an inventory anymore. All interaction with the game world is done in real time. By extension to the lack of sanity, darkness is no longer a hindrance besides obvious visual impairment. If you're feeling cheap you can crank the gamma way up and play the game without ever raising your lantern.

BTW, your lantern is electric and requires no oil or anything. You can keep it up indefinitely.

You will know when enemies are around because when they are nearby all electric lights (including your lantern) start to flicker....it's never explained why. Not that it really matters, since most of the time enemies are just ambiance behind locked doors and junk. I think I came into contact with 6 actual dangerous enemies through the whole game.

The story is very confusing, though that's forgivable because the game is supposed to be about being confused and not knowing what's going on. The ending I did not see coming at all...it seemed really illogical and very anticlimactic.

All in all a very dumbed down game from the first. I'm glad it was only 20 USD, I'd have felt very ripped off if it was released as a full priced game. I would suggest that people not buy it and instead just watch a playthrough on Youtube if you want to see the story.

Randam Saiko

I think some spoiler tags are needed. Just saying.

Emit, you mischievous little...
My OCs

Midnight Breeze

For what? I didn't reveal anything about the plot. Just saying the 'gameplay' is sucky and the story is just glorified torture http://forum.legendsofequestria.com/index.php?topic=2470.0">Read the forum rules.. Or as a certain poster from the Frictional Games forum puts it much better:

(sic)

Peope often forget the 'game' side when It comes to the Cinematic "Games"

It shouldnt be like watching a movie when It comes to the games. Every art ( yes I think games a new kind of art since games arent just about scores) has It own objectives and tools to present when It comes to expressing a feeling through art. For example in films, you have to use Movie tools ( editing, lighting,etc..) and should offer good movie techniques to tell your story. Another example is Novels. You have to use Its own tools ( been fluent, portrayal,etc..) to give a good story aswell a good art. Thats why we have these arts to spread our feeling and stories. If you want to just tell a thing you can just do that at a bar with friends.

In this case - games - shouldnt players aspect from a game, with good gameplay? Every big game ( in this case Amnesia ) has Its own uniqe atmosphere (consept), a story and a feeling. Along with all that. A player also care for a gameplay ( because Its a game and one of the most important tools is gameplay) So thats why so called games like The Walking Dead (Interactive Cinematic Story Telling), Dear Esther ( walking ) and alike games are not games! Couse they offer zero gameplay what so ever.

Thats why I am telling Amnesia: A machine for pigs has zero gameplay. Its a dumbed down product. You have no inventory there for there is no complex puzzles( or NOT even a puzzle If I can dare to say), there is no heal system, no sanity system and because of there is no interactions with the objects "puzzles" are even more easy; the only pickable objects are ment for puzzle piece so there for you can easly solve any puzzle. There are really cool objects out there and I want to just exemine them but now I cant and story telling is not good aswell. You allways have to look for your diary for what to do but be carefull sometimes diaries just spoile all the fun out of the puzzle or story. Example: I must fill X with Y . I seen some Y at the Z I should check It out. With all off these issues makes sadly breaking me away from the game.

The game is dumbed down because there is no survival elements left in this game. This time you have unlimited light sourse and your lamp is become monster detected tool! When It blinks all you have to do is turn off light, crouch and just wait 8-15 sec. like that, then continue what you are doing. Its a very very bad mechanic that makes you focus more about your light and pulles you out of the creepy sounds and area. I seriusly stop scaring after 1,5 hours of this game, which last 4 hours. There is no tension left! Even the story has no twist or epic moments(beside one scene) because you allready expecting everything before It happens.

Because all of these things, this game is just another Cinematic Story Telling "Game" and has no gameplay in It. Thats why I'am disapointed about this product and thats what I think of "gaming".

(sic)

Randam Saiko

A big part of Amnesia is the constant paranoia of the unknown. Knowing anything at all is bad.

Emit, you mischievous little...
My OCs

Howitzer

I can't buy it so I've been watching someone else play it, and that game. Terrifying isn't anywhere near what I would use to describe it.
LoE not working as it should? Submit bugs here: http://phabricator.legendsofequestria.com/maniphest/task/edit/form/1/
------->  Jurassic Systems <-----------

Chishio Kunrin

I've been watching TobyGames and PewDiePie play it. It's interesting, but so far, it doesn't seem like it'll be as scary as Dark Descent, so you're probably right.

Part of the fear in Dark Descent came from
1. Having HP. You don't wanna die. You get scared when a monster comes near you because you know it will harm you, and there's nothing you can really do to fight back. So you literally have to run for your life.
2. Having to manage oil and tinderboxes because the darkness is actually a bad thing, a scary thing that actually has an effect on you. If you let your sanity dip too low, things will get scarier because of hallucinations. That, and I think you can fall over sometimes, from low sanity? But at the same time, you need to hide in the darkness sometimes because of the monsters, so you need to find a balance with that.

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

Midnight Breeze

Quote from: Randam Saiko on 2013 Sep 10, 20:27:41
A big part of Amnesia is the constant paranoia of the unknown. Knowing anything at all is bad.

Then why did they give magical flickering lights warning you of an enemies presence? Or take away sanity, which was a DEFINING FEATURE of Amnesia, and by extension completely take away the fear of the dark. Or take away the requirement to not look at enemies, which GREATLY enhanced the fear factor in the original game. I want to slap the guy who thought scrapping sanity was a good idea.

Not to mention:

There is one level where you walk through a barracks of holding cells containing the pig men, where they can be freely observed with zero danger or fear. I wasn't afraid of them, far from it. In fact I actually felt sorry for them (one of them appeared to be crying). Who the HELL thought it was a good idea to create sympathy rather than fear toward the monsters? And more importantly, are they still employed?

If the games didn't share a title and I would literally have no idea they were created by the same developer. (Barring the odd reference to Brennenberg in a few notes.) Who let this debacle go live?

Seriack

From what I understand, Frictional Games, the original developers of Amnesia, didn't have much in a way of hands on with this game. It was mostly made by The Chinese Room. So, it was FG giving a, possibly new and smaller, company a chance to create a game based off their own. I'd have to research more, but I think I got it.
[move][/move]
Thanks Soriku for the Pixel Poneh!
My OC's((Only one so far))
"Let me carry your burdens"

Chishio Kunrin

The ending of the game was pretty good/interesting. I'd say the game was more grimdark than horror.

PewDiePie actually had an interesting theory on what happened. Hear me out, he's not an idiot.
He thinks that Mandus somehow got to see the future and saw WW2 and the Holocaust happening, so he set out to "save" his children from that future and try to "save" everyone else from it too. But it ended up getting all twisted.

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

Go Up