Double Rainboom

Started by Billow Pillow, 2013 Mar 30, 23:24:34

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Billow Pillow

Tis the moment we've been waiting on, or well, at least me.  Double Rainboom has been released and i hope you all enjoyed it.  They did an amazing job on it.   :nod:

Spoiler: show
Senpai Notice me

LOE Craft: Here
My OC: Here
Dragon Cave Click Meow.

Tiger

Spoiler: Ranty rant rant • show
The animation was great, but I think they under-performed. The pacing was slow, conversations and scenes dragged on. The PPG part was a neat touch, but they were unnecessarily destructive to the monster and unbelievably possessive of RD. How does Rainbow Dash break the fourth wall just by doing a Double Rainboom anyway?

It doesn't make sense for Rainbow Dash to just start flying around randomly after seeing the troll-face-cloud-of-doom.
Twi says that she doesn't know what the potion is, then straight after that says that it's a skill enhancer. Memory loss?

Like I said, slow pacing. Half of the episode was just about Rainbow Dash drinking the potion and flying really fast. A whole chunk was about her double rainboom-ing and destroying Ponyville. And that's it.
The PPG part took out a whole chunk of the episode and it was, although a neat touch, completely unnecessary. It would've been fine if they were just in the background of the hypnotic realm like Johnny Bravo was, but not as a main part. Kind of ruined it, in all honesty.

Also, when did Twilight become interested in Science? She's a magic pony, not a science-y one, and she does magic spells, not brew potions like Zecora. And Rainbow Dash isn't one to drink a potion that just showed a troll face at her.

The ending was weird too. Rainbow Dash destroys all of Ponyville, and everyone is just like "lol ok we can rebuild no worries". They should have been completely mad at Rainbow, to be frank. And instead of helping to rebuild Ponyville, Rainbow's just going "Dear Princess Celestia". And she had to LEARN not to seal steal.
Quite frankly, I see the moral of the story as "Don't drink potions that showed you a troll face", or "Twilight is now a potion maker".

TL;DR. The pacing was slow and the writing wasn't that good. The only thing I can really praise about is the animation.

It's kind of a downer this is my first post after a few months hiatus from this site, but I just needed to get this out.

A link to my tumblr above!
Tiger's OC page. Should re-do it...

Chishio Kunrin

2013 Mar 31, 00:21:26 #2 Last Edit: 2013 Mar 31, 00:25:38 by Chishio Kunrin
Like I said about the promo, I would've liked it better without the troll face and the Domo on the moon.
The producers of the real show have much more restraint than these guys when it comes to making references for bronies. Then again, it is fan-made.

Quote from: Tiger on 2013 Mar 31, 00:14:44
Spoiler: Ranty rant rant • show
The animation was great, but I think they under-performed. The pacing was slow, conversations and scenes dragged on. The PPG part was a neat touch, but they were unnecessarily destructive to the monster and unbelievably possessive of RD. How does Rainbow Dash break the fourth wall just by doing a Double Rainboom anyway?

It doesn't make sense for Rainbow Dash to just start flying around randomly after seeing the troll-face-cloud-of-doom.
Twi says that she doesn't know what the potion is, then straight after that says that it's a skill enhancer. Memory loss?

Like I said, slow pacing. Half of the episode was just about Rainbow Dash drinking the potion and flying really fast. A whole chunk was about her double rainboom-ing and destroying Ponyville. And that's it.
The PPG part took out a whole chunk of the episode and it was, although a neat touch, completely unnecessary. It would've been fine if they were just in the background of the hypnotic realm like Johnny Bravo was, but not as a main part. Kind of ruined it, in all honesty.

Also, when did Twilight become interested in Science? She's a magic pony, not a science-y one, and she does magic spells, not brew potions like Zecora. And Rainbow Dash isn't one to drink a potion that just showed a troll face at her.

The ending was weird too. Rainbow Dash destroys all of Ponyville, and everyone is just like "lol ok we can rebuild no worries". They should have been completely mad at Rainbow, to be frank. And instead of helping to rebuild Ponyville, Rainbow's just going "Dear Princess Celestia". And she had to LEARN not to seal steal.
Quite frankly, I see the moral of the story as "Don't drink potions that showed you a troll face", or "Twilight is now a potion maker".

TL;DR. The pacing was slow and the writing wasn't that good. The only thing I can really praise about is the animation.

It's kind of a downer this is my first post after a few months hiatus from this site, but I just needed to get this out.

Twilight said that it should be a skill enhancer. She was aiming for it to be that, but she didn't know if she failed or succeeded at making what she wanted it to be.

I think the point of it being a crossover with PPG is because Faust was heavily involved with and heavily influenced both PPG and MLP:FiM. Bloo from Foster's being at the end was also likely due to Faust's role in Foster's.

I'm guessing the science came from the episode about Pinkie Sense.

And the only ones who laughed about the destruction were Pinkie and Rainbow. Twilight was still mad, Applejack was just glad that Apple Bloom was ok, Rarity was apparently worried sick about Sweetie Belle, etc.

And welcome back.

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

The Silent Wolf

I liked it until some parts where I just completely began hating it. So I'll just cash in my two bits/rant down in this spoiler.
In the beginning, it seemed very good they kept their personalities and all. But the models, looked a bit to vecotry and way to fanmade, yes I know it's fanmade but they could've gone for more of a show style than a fan style since it looked pretty similar to fan stuff I've seen. The whole Dashie in space thing made no sense, it's IMPOSSIBLE to breath in space without dying so that made 0 sense at all. So that's not it for my two bits/rant, Dash literally destorying Ponyville was a bit to fanficish, yeah stuff like that happens way to often and it's overused even if it's not Dashie destorying it. Now Rainbow Dash going into the Power Puff Girls universe is what made me the most mad, mostly since I dislike the power puff girls but putting rainbow dash there where she doesn't fit in AT ALL shouldn't happen. And that's all for what I disliked, but I liked when Pinkie took bloo and the flower pots on Derpy.
If The Silent Wolf is to long, just call me Kake

Skype if you happen to want to talk to me: Pokemonvskirby
I'm a little seal nerd, short and stout, here is my flipper, here is my snout~

Coffee Rush

All in all, it wasn't the most show like, but still the quality of fan made animation I haven't seen much. To put it in a full length episode is a lot of work, and I sure hope it helps the maker get a degree in animation.
...Snozzberries...
My OC can be found here!

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: The Silent Wolf on 2013 Mar 31, 00:53:04
I liked it until some parts where I just completely began hating it. So I'll just cash in my two bits/rant down in this spoiler.
In the beginning, it seemed very good they kept their personalities and all. But the models, looked a bit to vecotry and way to fanmade, yes I know it's fanmade but they could've gone for more of a show style than a fan style since it looked pretty similar to fan stuff I've seen. The whole Dashie in space thing made no sense, it's IMPOSSIBLE to breath in space without dying so that made 0 sense at all. So that's not it for my two bits/rant, Dash literally destorying Ponyville was a bit to fanficish, yeah stuff like that happens way to often and it's overused even if it's not Dashie destorying it. Now Rainbow Dash going into the Power Puff Girls universe is what made me the most mad, mostly since I dislike the power puff girls but putting rainbow dash there where she doesn't fit in AT ALL shouldn't happen. And that's all for what I disliked, but I liked when Pinkie took bloo and the flower pots on Derpy.

Oh yeah, I liked the Derpy part and the Bloo part.

But yeah, I'll just point out again that I think the point of the crossover was the fact that PPG and MLP:FiM are both cartoons that Faust had a huge amount of influence on.
The CMC are even similar to the PPG.
Applebloom = Blossom; the leader with a bow in her hair
Sweetie Belle = Bubbles; the sweet nice one whose voice can get squeaky/high
Scootaloo = Buttercup; the tomboy who isn't as open as often as the other two

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

Night Pony

2013 Mar 31, 05:48:13 #6 Last Edit: 2013 Mar 31, 06:35:35 by Night Pony
The animation is pretty good. i had a bunch of laughs during the 30mins I was watching it. It had a lot of ref, something that was more or less expected, but I loved every single one. It would've been interesting instead of breaking the fourth wall Rainbow Dash to be fully coloured as a rainbow like when she was about to make the second Rainboom but for some reason it wasn't going away. Also I know somepony who would want to get their hooves on that potion.  ovO
Anyway I'll sit back and watch how you guys over-analyse  every detail of this fanmade work.

I want to thank all of the artist that have drawn my OCs.
Night Shine and Moon Violet

Coffee Rush

Quote from: Night Pony on 2013 Mar 31, 05:48:13
The animation is pretty good. i had a bunch of laughs during the 30mins I was watching it. It had a lot of ref, something that was more or less expected, but I loved every single one. It would've been interesting instead of breaking the fourth wall Rainbow Dash to be fully coloured as a rainbow like when she was about to make the second Rainboom but for some reason it wasn't going away. Also I know somepony who would want to get their hooves on that potion.  ovO
Anyway I'll sit back and watch how you guys over-analyse  every detail of this fanmade work.

^ This, especially the bold.
My OC can be found here!

Jenzy

Quote from: Coffee Rush on 2013 Mar 31, 12:34:31
Quote from: Night Pony on 2013 Mar 31, 05:48:13

^ This, especially the bold.

^How I felt. It was pretty amazing enough.

Remember. This episode was not made by professional-paid writers.

Tiger

Quote from: The Silent Wolf on 2013 Mar 31, 00:53:04
 The whole Dashie in space thing made no sense, it's IMPOSSIBLE to breath in space without dying so that made 0 sense at all. .

There have been many other animations AND actual shows that have done that.
It's called cartoon logic  ovO

SweetDreams

I enjoyed Double Rainboo .

I find like most fanimations it had an over abundance of fanservice/meme added in. But overall its was cute. Definately WAY more gag-driven than story-driven, it could've used a little more work in regards to pacing. But i. Terms of animation it was very close to show standard, and very fluid.

The humour was definately captured, and the throwback to CN was cute(althoughit was a serious " what the poo is happening here?" Moment), and the various little additions like pony pinball were nice to see.

Biggest complaint. Techinically hat was a quadruple rainboom.
Rainboom no.1 at the start of herflight,
Rainbooms 2&3 occuring at double rainboom time
Rainboom 4 occuring afterr rainbow flames and portal to cn. :|

She went OP.

I am Sweet to the D-R-E, A-M to the S. And when you try this tasty treat you best not make a mess, I'm Dreamsilicous
My DA

Gracie Sky

I wonder what Lauren Faust thinks of it.

I personally would've thought better of it without the references and the crossovers, but I guess the only thing that matters is that they had fun making the video.
Character Critique Thread

Have your OC fairly and honestly evaluated!

Cotton Ball

I keep watching the PowerPuff Girls part in the "Old cartoon network" vortex thing scene.  But I thought double rainboom was awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[move][/move]
Don't be a salad, be the best broccoli you could ever be.

PrincessButton

Quote from: Gracie Sky on 2013 Apr 02, 19:57:52
I wonder what Lauren Faust thinks of it.

I personally would've thought better of it without the references and the crossovers, but I guess the only thing that matters is that they had fun making the video.
Me too. o: I'd love to see what she thinks of it.. I wonder if she has even seen it.
I hope she'd be honoured to have such lovely fans. :3

I thoroughly enjoyed the animation, it's obvious that the team worked very hard on this project and it turned out very well c: No, the plot was not perfect, but it was still amusing and the old cartoon vortex made me smile.  ^-^
[Avatar drawn by Dusky Hues; Thank you!]

Billow Pillow

Apparently someone made a video with all the hidden "Easter egg" that where inside of the episode.   :P

[ Invalid YouTube link ]
Senpai Notice me

LOE Craft: Here
My OC: Here
Dragon Cave Click Meow.

Teal Turken

2013 May 14, 16:55:50 #15 Last Edit: 2013 May 14, 17:19:40 by Teal Turken
Spoiler: What I think • show
So I see a mix of people who like and dislike this animation here on LoE.
What do I think?
I liked it. But as everyone else says, the pacing is not that great. But it's not my main gripe.

My biggest complaint to Double Rainboom is how disappointed I am with what it is.
What we were promised was a Fan episode based on the show. What we got was a parody.
Why do I say parody? Well the closest thing to the show I saw was the letter written to Princess Celestia. Most of everything else is just fan jokes, internet memes, references like Aperature Science and that ridiculous amount of "Lauren Faust worship"

What did I want see?
I wanted to see some conflict with our favorite characters or perhaps something dire. I was hoping Double Rainboom was going to be something in the lines of Rainbow Dash having to out perform someone to save her friends whether it be a race or a talent show of some kind.

I still like Double Rainboom, but the way it turned out just doesn't really hit me as a very memorable project. It only stands out as the first episode length parody made by bronies.
It's a 6/10 in my book, not terrible, it's Good. The animation is great with a few setbacks here and there, writing is okay, references make it fun but the broken promise brings it's score down quite a bit.

EDIT
I forgot to mention that the drawing effect for the Double Rainboom looked horrible. I didn't like looking at it.

Spencer the Pegasus Guard

I found it okay. A lot of the fanbase, including the awesome UC77, found it really bad. I enjoy it about as much as Mysterious Mare Do Well or Too Many Pinkie Pies.
I have a Tin Foil hat....I am 100 percent okay with this.

Tiger

Quote from: Spencer the Pegasus Guard on 2013 May 24, 21:52:03
A lot of the fanbase, including the awesome UC77, found it really bad.

Possibly because...
Quote from: Teal Turken on 2013 May 14, 16:55:50
What we were promised was a Fan episode based on the show. What we got was a parody.

Asterian Starfall

Quote from: Tiger on 2013 Mar 31, 00:14:44
Also, when did Twilight become interested in Science? She's a magic pony, not a science-y one.

Uh, she's actually a great science buff. She's been seen in numerous episodes talking about or doing something science-related.

S2:E20 Transcript:

Off by point zero two from yesterday. Carry the fifteen... negative azimuth on the fourteenth moon...
Can you help me recalibrate the apertures on the nine and quarter catadioptric telescopes?

I'd rather not go into the whole thing... but learning science for a Unicorn would likely prove fruitful, considering it would make most spells easier to master if you have a logical reason as to why they work.
"Luck is how you explain an overly-variabled scenario that went in your favor." - Asterian Élire Starfall

Go Up