Windows 10

Started by Rissian, 2015 Feb 01, 13:19:03

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Rissian

So I decided to make a general topic about Windows 10 just in case anyone else is testing it, or is interested in finding more about it from others who also have the OS in it's Beta State. If anyone else is interested in supplying information that would be great as well.

My current testing devices are my Laptop and my Desktop both have the latest version of Windows 10 64 bit.
Desktop Specs :

GPU : ATI Radeon HD 6870

Laptop Specs :

Chip : ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250

It runs really well on my laptop which had issues with lagging in Windows 7 because its processor isn't that good despite it being a Quad Core. Heck this even ran games better than it used to as well. Not perfect but still better.

So far I've only had 2 crashes on my Desktop all caused by my ATI card. They were light and nothing that turning the PC off and on wouldn't fix though. I'll eventually edit game test results into this post. I assume AMD or Microsoft will eventually release a patch that fixes the random crash with this card. I can say so far DirectX12 is pretty dang good.

Midnight Breeze

I'll get it on my PC when I head home tomorrow. Definately hyped.

Rissian

Quote from: Midnight Breeze on 2015 Feb 01, 13:21:44
I'll get it on my PC when I head home tomorrow. Definately hyped.

Just make sure you do a dual boot install. In case anything goes wrong. If you know how to manage partitions and stuff it's pretty easy to do with a USB flash drive. It also allows you to have your old OS and new OS on the same PC.

Nuserame

Supposedly this pre-release should be supplied with kernel '10.0', which they went to from kernel 6.3 in windows 8.1. Someone working at Microsoft really likes round numbers!

That and they really seem to be trying to convince everyone that its not just modded windows 8. Funny thing is, id actually buy modded windows 8 if it means it doesn't have the tablet interface and actual informative error messages (the blue screen had been replaced with a sad smiley face and an errorcode that corresponds to every problem ever). Its a technically sound OS, more responsive and stable than windows 7 from what I have seen, especially on older hardware.

I might try win 10 out as a VM to play with the new features, for gaming performance benchmarks ill be waiting until they get an official release out. I could also play the fun game where I see how little memory it can run on. Windows 8 sure did not like having 666mb memory heheheh.

That phenom II should not run that badly on win 7, my last CPU was one of those (albeit the desktop version at higher clock speeds) and could handle numerous tasks without problems. It might have more to do with whatever storage device you have in there.

Also that spec sheet is rather optimistic about directx12 there, the 4000 series ATI cards support only up to dx 10.
Slate Grey, my OC! Awesome profile picture by Bakasan94

Rissian

2015 Feb 01, 17:17:30 #4 Last Edit: 2015 Feb 01, 17:28:52 by Trege
Quote from: Nuserame on 2015 Feb 01, 17:03:36
Also that spec sheet is rather optimistic about directx12 there, the 4000 series ATI cards support only up to dx 10.

Yeah I'm a bit confused to why it's reporting 12 as well I forgot what the 4k series supported. I do know that benchmarking it though it does run much faster on Windows 10.  The thing about laptop CPU's though is they have poor airflow and heat can play a major factor in what the clocks actually run at a laptop 90% of the time will never perform as well as a desktop even with similar parts. This has been my experience with multiple devices. If I recall Microsoft mentioned DX12 will work with older hardware in their articles and such. But I'm not sure how to test that out as it only ever tells me it's using DirectX12. It may likely be that Windows 10 also just handles resources better than 7 which it seems to do.

This laptop is also pretty old and overheats/slowsdown on 720p/1080p youtube videos.

Nuserame

Hm right the Phenoms can run pretty hot even in a desktop computer. All the nicer I suppose that from windows 8 it started being more careful about wasting resources (mostly for preserving battery power on mobile devices).

You can get DirectX to generate a report on system hardware and what versions it uses, but my old 4890 could not run DirectX 11 so I somewhat doubt it will run 12.

Chibalt

If Windows 10 is definitively better, more efficient with resources AND doesn't have massive compatibility problems with older games then I'm maybe getting it sometime, even more so if they've gotten rid of the tablet interface, you do NOT put a phone OS onto a PC with the exact interface and just say "eh it'll work", because it won't, it will turn into a massive mess of unsorted icons, annoying corner-shortcuts, VERY annoying settings access and so on, just bad design decisions all around with doing something like that.
My OCs: http://forum.legendsofequestria.com/index.php?topic=11833.msg777677#msg777677
Don't be afraid to make suggestions regarding any of the characters there if you have some.

Nuserame

2015 Feb 11, 16:55:46 #7 Last Edit: 2015 Feb 11, 17:05:41 by Nuserame
Theres plenty of screenshots and news articles about the Windows 10 interface, but why have those when you can have pony themed ones!

Spoiler: show

Heres what I got from looking around the preview build:

Most of the tablet interface is disabled when your on a regular desktop PC (huzzah!), or just gone for good. Though its still kinda... weird here and there. For instance when searching for the configuration panel it gives you the 'settings app' as the first result which is basically the rather badly dressed down tabled version of the configuration panel.

The aesthetics are... simple would be the most generous way to describe them. Its not ugly or anything but it does seem rather bland, and the only things you can change are the main color (the dark blue in the screenies) and the font size on the title bars, the latter of which requires a reboot for... reasons.

You are eventually supposed to be able to remove that tile section in the start menu, but thats not implemented yet. I tried getting it gone so thats why mine is all weird and empty, on a fresh install its full of those weather/news/random stuff app tiles, which I never really use tbh.

It runs Horsegame and Dwarf Fortress (which are really easy to just copy-paste and run), runs fine as a virtual machine (I am running inside my current windows 8 installation). Haven't done much extensive testing with games but compatibility is bound to be very similar to Vista/win7/win8.

There is quite a lot of bugs left over though. The release is supposed to be in June so I guess the MS developers don't get much time off now  :]

All in all I would say its an improvement over windows 8, though frankly they could have just updated the back-end on windows 7 and have the thing everyone actually wants...

Now... should I try to run it on an ancient notebook with 512mb memory and some weird VIA CPU I never heard about, just to see what happens?

Edit: Hmm it can still run horsegame with just 1gb of memory. The fun things with these virtual machine is that I can just give it whatever specs I want. Lets see it if runs with 512mb and 1 CPU core heheheh!

Rissian

It has been awhile since I last tested a few more things on this. I was capable of running Metal Gear Solid V GZ at much higher FPS than when I was on Windows 7, on Windows 7 I had everything set to medium due to lag. on Windows 10 most options are on High and it's running great. once I install fraps or something I'll edit the first post so I can have a better estimate on the FPS values.

Jenzy

I have it in a Virtual Machine (Windows 10 Tech Preview on Hyper-V). It certainly is interesting, but I'm not sure if I really prefer it yet. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what else will be part of Windows 10.

Rissian

2015 Jul 17, 05:30:43 #10 Last Edit: 2015 Jul 17, 05:33:02 by Rissian
Well, it was only a matter of time before MS screwed something up again, they're now trying to give manufacturers the ability to block other OS's from being installed on your device when you buy it, it's going to be a feature in a lot of new OEM devices with Windows 10 that will only allow you to use Microsoft approved OS's. Meaning if you don't build the PC yourself it's not likely you'll be able to install Windows 7, 8, or Linux (Unless it was approved by MS, or the vendor selling the PC.) on it as Windows 10 will be locked into it, and if they want to go further, the manufacturers may even lock the bios as well.

Sources :
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2900536/windows-10s-secure-boot-requirement-could-make-installing-linux-a-big-headache.html

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2901262/microsoft-tightens-windows-10s-secure-boot-screws-where-does-that-leave-linux.html

http://techreport.com/news/27999/windows-10-pcs-wont-need-a-secure-boot-off-switch

In the apparent name of supposed security they're going to make it much harder or impossible to install a different OS aside from what came with the device.

Honestly this is a really bad move on MS's part, they're going to cause themselves even more trouble. I know I will now only ever build a PC myself. I don't like a company telling me what I can and can't do with the device I bought especially when it comes to dual booting OS's. Linux can not only be used to fix a broken system but to easily recover lost files as well as fix corrupted or broken/cleaned partitions especially if it's on a separate HDD.

The reason I mention MS even though the manufacturer can choose whether to use it or not, is the simple fact that Windows 8 PC's introduced this crappy gimmick and many companies will likely end up using it.

Some of the Linux developers are finding ways around it but the fact that this was even tried at all is very annoying. :l I may even stick to Windows 7 on my current devices to stop showing support for such actions in the future.

If I'm correct this feature will also block LiveCDs/LiveUSB's such as the ones used to boot temporary OS's.

Pipkin

woooow! Good thing I already bought my school laptop and I build my own desktops X3

I'm really hoping(and I hear it is) that windows 10 is a step up from 8.  My new laptop is barely usable...

Nuserame

LaptopBrony with a barely usable laptop? Unacceptable!

Install some ClassicShell, stat! Configure it to disable all the hot corners, and you have yourself a perfectly serviceable OS.

Also I the UEFI lockdown sounds like a lot of hear-say. Locking that down would just cause everyone a lot of trouble as it would brick the machine the moment windows inevitably bricks itself with an update or something. Even then, if you have the machine in your hands its always get around the password.

Chibalt

Quote from: Nuserame on 2015 Jul 20, 12:10:48

Install some ClassicShell, stat! Configure it to disable all the hot corners, and you have yourself a perfectly serviceable OS.

Also I the UEFI lockdown sounds like a lot of hear-say. Locking that down would just cause everyone a lot of trouble as it would brick the machine the moment windows inevitably bricks itself with an update or something. Even then, if you have the machine in your hands its always get around the password.

Yup, Windows 8 is a freaking mess to use unless you use classic shell and basically upgrade it back to it's predecessor's UI, yes, upgrade, because the Windows 7 UI is leagues better than windows 8 UI in it's current state.
My OCs: http://forum.legendsofequestria.com/index.php?topic=11833.msg777677#msg777677
Don't be afraid to make suggestions regarding any of the characters there if you have some.

Rissian

Quote from: Nuserame on 2015 Jul 20, 12:10:48

Micosoft's likely answer to that is how Windows 10 makes OS backups at least from what I've seen in the technical preview it's capable of restoring itself to pre-use condition but you lose your apps and registry for installed programs. In fact a bug in windows 10 Technical preview crashed the OS and it gave me the option to system restore or reset the OS. I picked reset since I didn't store anything important on a Beta OS. It basically reset the installed programs startup settings and a bunch of other things which also broke the anti virus I had installed on it. It's basically a more potent system restore that brings it back to clean condition. The only thing unaffected is personal files.

They probably figure that's enough for the average user. However if they do lock it we'll find a way around it one way or another. If I'm correct even the original Xbox was the first major console with homebrew development MS will always have holes in their systems that people find.

Also Windows 10 discs won't be locked meaning they could re-install Windows 10 with that as well. The way they plan to lock it is only OS's the manufacturer allows will be able to be installed on the device so unless they allowed Linux you couldn't install it without breaking through the security first, which is pretty dang stupid on their part there are still many reasons to run a dual boot OS or liveCD/LiveUSB OS's.

Nuserame

Quote from: Rissian on 2015 Jul 21, 00:37:04
~Snippety~

Did a bit more reading on this and it seems this is not as big an issue as the headlines make it seem.

Basically what happened is that Microsoft will no longer mandate BIOS legacy boot (an old way of starting a computer) be available next to EUFI boot (the new and shiny way) and... thats pretty much it.

Just about every recent Linux distribution can boot on EUFI just fine, this will only be a problem for people that try to run old software on newer computers, and that only if manufacturers throw out BIOS at all. I'm guessing that particularly on business computers legacy boot will linger for quite a while with all the COM ports and PCI slots.

Zsaszz

I have the windows 10 upgrade reserved but i'm not sure if i should upgrade it, iv'e read a lot of places that says that it have several bugs and also some cons and pros and etc so i'm still quite unsure to upgrade, some of you that already have it can tell me if it's better to upgrade now or wait a little longer, after all the reservation of the upgrade last until June 2016, the main thing that it's holding me back is that i heard that in some cases the windows 10 have an issue that makes it use more resources of the PC than it should, so idk about that being true.

Midnight Breeze

Windows 10 launch version is complete crap, I'm getting BSODs left and right on this. Don't upgrade until they patch this hodgepodge.

Chibalt

Quote from: Midnight Breeze on 2015 Aug 27, 03:29:24
Windows 10 launch version is complete crap, I'm getting BSODs left and right on this. Don't upgrade until they patch this hodgepodge.

Mut be something about your setup windows 10 really does not like, my own PC has had no such problems since changing to 10, not a single BSOD.

McClaw

Quote from: Chibalt on 2015 Aug 27, 03:56:01
Mut be something about your setup windows 10 really does not like, my own PC has had no such problems since changing to 10, not a single BSOD.

Same here. I'm still in the "load apps and configure" stage, but I'm developing some tricks I rather like.
Watch for "Census Taker" (pegasus), "Chuck Wagon" (earth pony), and "Bug Hunter" (unicorn).

Go Up