The Ouya

Started by Rissian, 2012 Oct 09, 17:55:58

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Rissian

Has anyone seen this my friend linked me too it, it looks pretty awesome and I love the price tag.

The fact that they want you to openly mod it is also awesome. o_o

It's something I'll probably try and buy eventually when it's released and I get the money for it.

lurk852

It's definitely a cool idea, but I'm reserving judgement until I see something resembling a launch lineup. A console is only as good as its games, after all. Although I do know a guy with no PC who's looking forward to it just to have the ability to emulate old consoles with a controller...

Where fancy Kickstarter video game projects are concerned, I'm more interested in the Rift, but I'm not gonna derail the thread  ;)
"The passions are, and ought only to be the slave of reason." - David Hume

Lord of Madness

my brain is not so sure on the hacking part.

Little Judas

What kind of games are you supposed to hack: Xbox, PS, PC, WII or anything of the kind?
Thanks to Julius for my OC. (see the avatar)

Let it fly in the breeze and get caught in the trees, Give a home to the fleas, in my hair
A home for fleas, a hive for the buzzing bees, A nest for birds, there ain't no words
For the beauty, splendor, the wonder of my hair

Lord of Madness

all of them i guess.... so i guess its time for me to be number 1...

Rissian

Err, by hacks I'm pretty sure they meant modifications Mojang talks about putting Minecraft and their other games on it if the console is successful. I'm pretty sure it's just mod games although some annoying player could end up hacking games for advantages though, since the console is supposed to be openly changeable.

SweBow

I ordered one from their Kickstarter campaign  ^-^

Julius

I'm not sure what to say really. If it allows mods like in PC games then this might be an interesting console.

Don't know, will have to wait and see.
Purr~

Xeno Aura

2012 Oct 12, 04:57:14 #8 Last Edit: 2012 Oct 12, 04:58:49 by Xeno Aura
It runs on Android at its heart, so it should have a few decent games ported to it.

I imagine popular Android games will find their way onto it.

Every Ouya is a developers console though, you don't pay any extra fees to develop for it. (Possibly a small one-time fee like Google charge for the Google Play store?)

It is in effect, a console designed 100% for indie developers.

I will probably see how it does when it releases, and may end up buying one.

The power in it is decent, it has a 1.6GHZ Quad core Nvidia, 516MHZ GPU, 1GB DDR3 RAM, so it's at the high-end of the Android Tablet market (the ones you pay £300-£400 for). But with the added addition of decent looking controllers and 4 player local support.

CPU-Wise, it's more powerful than the PS Vita, GPU-Wise, it's about 20% less powerful, if I worked it out right, although the Ouya's OS will probably require more resources than the PSV's OS.

Go Up