List of planned features

Started by Ferro_the_King, 2018 Jan 14, 23:15:53

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Ferro_the_King

2018 Jan 14, 23:15:53 Last Edit: 2018 Jan 14, 23:22:59 by Ferro_the_King
I think it would be actually a good idea to have a regularly updated list of planned features, things that are in development, known bugs and things that have been rejected for some reason. It would keep us up to date on what's going on, what to expect and it would prevent reoccuring questions about the same things over and over (for example left over quest markers). I know that there is a phabricator, but it is mostly for reporting bugs. It's kinda hard to get more complex picture about game development from it and some info just isn't there.
Yes, you can get a lot of info from forums, but it would require very extensive reading of long dead threads and given the amount of posts, it is almost impossible to read them all.
It would be just nice to have it all well arranged in one place, so everypony could get the image easily and fast.

There's an example of what I have in mind (It's from Kerbal Space Program game wiki- this one is unofficial, but I think it's generally a good idea):
https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Planned_features
Excuse my English, it tends to misbehave...

Kadynwashington

2018 Jan 22, 20:27:32 #1 Last Edit: 2018 Jan 22, 20:40:33 by Howitzer
:]  :l  :c  :o  :P  -Please don't spam-
Quote from: Ferro_the_King on 2018 Jan 14, 23:15:53I think it would be actually a good idea to have a regularly updated list of planned features, things that are in development, known bugs and things that have been rejected for some reason. It would keep us up to date on what's going on, what to expect and it would prevent reoccuring questions about the same things over and over (for example left over quest markers). I know that there is a phabricator, but it is mostly for reporting bugs. It's kinda hard to get more complex picture about game development from it and some info just isn't there.
Yes, you can get a lot of info from forums, but it would require very extensive reading of long dead threads and given the amount of posts, it is almost impossible to read them all.
It would be just nice to have it all well arranged in one place, so everypony could get the image easily and fast.

There's an example of what I have in mind (It's from Kerbal Space Program game wiki- this one is unofficial, but I think it's generally a good idea):
https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Planned_features

Even Tide

I'm likely necroing this thread but... Honestly? I can't agree with it more. More frequent change logs + future planned implements would be great!

Also maybe a section where users can suggest ideas for a proposed idea, or add their own ideas. That's just my two cents, though.

Honey Bell

As soon as an update is ready there will be a change log. As for future stuff, u don't want to spoil the fun do you.
They are having a hard time implementing new stuff but eventually it will happen, give it time.
Hello I'm Honey Bell. Got a problem, I'm all ears, and hooves *giggles*. You can always find me right here, in Discord or Ingame

Elphyda

Last time we showcased a planned feature, y'all freaked out and spammed where you could about where it was when it had to be pushed back.  Personally, I don't want to see that again, so I don't blame anyone else in staff for not making this list.

Night Pony

Are there gonna be Alicorns soon?

I want to thank all of the artist that have drawn my OCs.
Night Shine and Moon Violet

Elphyda

Night Pony

I want to thank all of the artist that have drawn my OCs.
Night Shine and Moon Violet

Elphyda

Quote from: Night Pony on 2018 Feb 20, 16:37:20"but mught change in the future"

You'll need to ask Public Relations if you want a more specific answer than that.  However, I can say on a personal, non-staff level, that I do not to deal with the extreme edge of Alicorns in the game.  It's bad enough that they're being mocked up with the fake bat wings.

Even Tide

It's my personal opinion that it'd be nice to have something to look forward to- as the game population lately seems to be quietening down. A lot of level 50s lack things to do after maxing out their character, so while I agree spoiling it wouldn't be as fun, people are likely getting bored of waiting a month without no sign of an update.

On the other hand, I can see why these change logs / planned features wouldn't be updated, as Elphyda mentioned about it causin' an uproar.

A suggestion could be maybe we have update logs on things such as minor implementations or big fixes as time goes on? So if people have missed something, they can head back and go check it out. These could be things that aren't big enough to add to the bigger updates, but rather just something small people can read and note that the game is still being updated. As things stand... It feels dead sometimes!

As far as alicorns are concerned, I think there'd have to be some kind of heavy requirements to unlock that if it was ever implemented. I doubt alicorns'll ever be added- the pegasus population is pretty high but alicorns? Hoo boy.  lol

Asriel

2018 Apr 02, 13:07:40 #10 Last Edit: 2018 Apr 02, 13:11:17 by Asriel
Quote from: Goomie on 2018 Feb 21, 16:10:28It's my personal opinion that it'd be nice to have something to look forward to- as the game population lately seems to be quietening down. A lot of level 50s lack things to do after maxing out their character, so while I agree spoiling it wouldn't be as fun, people are likely getting bored of waiting a month without no sign of an update.

On the other hand, I can see why these change logs / planned features wouldn't be updated, as Elphyda mentioned about it causin' an uproar.

A suggestion could be maybe we have update logs on things such as minor implementations or big fixes as time goes on? So if people have missed something, they can head back and go check it out. These could be things that aren't big enough to add to the bigger updates, but rather just something small people can read and note that the game is still being updated. As things stand... It feels dead sometimes!

As far as alicorns are concerned, I think there'd have to be some kind of heavy requirements to unlock that if it was ever implemented. I doubt alicorns'll ever be added- the pegasus population is pretty high but alicorns? Hoo boy.  lol

From what I have heard through all the public relations people, Alicorns are both the most requested feature, and the one that they will probably never implement.

This (from what I heard) is due not only to balance issues, but roleplaying ones as well. Why be any other race when you can be all of them?

This April Fools update kind solved this problem, ironically, as they gave out cardboard horns and wings. So people could dress up as an alicorn if they really wanted, but it wouldn't be perfect (meaning less people would do it) and giving no real advantage.

In addition, the reason why planned features are a terrible idea is that sometimes in game development, you realize that said feature might cause problems. Or you have another, better idea that would conflict. Change of plans leads to angry fans.

This was a problem with a game I like called Robocraft. There was a teaser for a mortar weapon very early into that weapon's development. The devs realized later that it wasn't as great of an idea as they thought, but since it was already teased to the public, they felt forced to go through it anyway.
"Henceforth," Ditzy continued, "you shall observe Muffin Monday on the first Thursday of every August! You shall commemorate it... with a minute of solemn silence for reflection on the fragility of life. And then, muffins!"

Go Up