How did you become a brony?

Started by Aphex93, 2012 Apr 06, 15:47:37

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Bubble Cat

I had a friend who was obsessed with the show, and actually showed me the grimdark Cupcakes before I even watched the show...

I love animated shows so naturally I went to check it out, as it was becoming a pretty big thing. Watched one episode, then another, and so on.  lol

It just sorta happen, like most things i get really into.

:o

Ramisha

It was like this. [shadow=gray,left]*poof* [/shadow]See?

Ateren

This topic is funny by having off and on activity throughout a few years. I never did bother to explain fully how I became a brony here on the forums. Now for a few paragraphs.  :P

Back in April of 2011, I had a friend of mine that was always crazy and into weird things. He was one of those guys that would think earthworms would one day take over the world crazy. After a minecraft server breakup he messages me one night saying, "Make sure to have your daily dose of pony before bed!" My first reaction was a double take and spouting out "Whut?" Soon he gave me a link. I shrugged and clicked the link to reveal the Eurobeat brony mix of the CMC concert song. Being late at night and half out of it, I looked at the CMC and figured, "Oh okay, a music artist with a pony persona." I didn't pay much mind since I've listened to people like Renard way back before this and didn't think it to be strange.

However, I came enjoy the music that was created and went on just assuming differently. The next day my same friend kept laying down a bread crumb trail to the actual show. Soon as I connected the dots and realized there was a show and what not about it I just watched from the beginning onward. I've been known to only be picky and entertainment that exceeds the bounds of how much vulgarity I can take. (Thus pretty much stopped watching TV after the nostalgic shows died out.) Familiar with the previous generations of MLP and the comedic video splicing variations. (Although hard to come by good ones.) I went in with a different forethought than most going into the show. I'll be honest, I had this awkward grin and chuckle through episodes 1-6, but ended up watching all of season 1 in... one day. Quite unhealthy, and weirded out even my weird friend from before. It was an awkward breath of fresh air. A mixture of "You kidding me?" and "Finally, something clean and entertaining!" A rare breed imo. About... one month later I got a steam notification about LoE. (Equestria Online at the time.) And dropped my gmod video creation like it was a bag of hot coals. But that, is another story.  ;)

Myponyisepic9991

Oh great this kind of thread again...  :c anyways I became a brony when... well first my mom was watching a little girl for a day and she wanted to watch mlp so my mom was ANYTHING BUT MLP PLAEASE NO MLP and she said nooooo I wanna watch it!!! and then a couple days later me: Ughhh nothing to watch Mom: you should try watching my little pony. Me:.... No mom Mom: Its actually pretty cool...*she walks away* Me: why not...  >:/ so I watched it and then I'm like \first ep.-well its ok I guess... second ep.- why not third then I guess :/ third ep. HOLY CRAP MORE MORE MORE/

till this day I still watch mlp when going to bed, eating dinner, mid day for no reason, boring weekends, and... when I'm holding my Rainbow Dash, Twilight, and Pinkie Pie plushies and when I'm holding my Derpy, Rainbow Dash, and Fluttershy Vinyl Figures and when I'm wearing my mlp RainbowDash Hoodie. also I have a mlp Bookbag I wear to school every day!

peace  B)
Snowaxe: Your soooo awesome!
Starblade: I know right!
c:

SaipphireConstella

I become a fan of things so easily, it didn't take me long!
I noticed a thread on a different forum site was titled, MLP. I had no idea what it was, so I checked it out. In the thread people were claiming ponies for themselves. Saying things like 'I've got Apple Jack!' and 'I got Nightmare Moon, does that make me messed up?' That was the first time I heard about it. A few weeks passed, then while wandering through Youtube, I noticed an episode. Since I was already in the middle of a mind melting Youtube marathon, I went for it. S1 E1 P1....omg...@.@ where has this been all my life.... I didn't stop watching the episodes until I had gone through them all. And I've been keeping up with them since!

Vinyl, Derpy & Dr. Whooves, and Princess Luna are my favs <3 But Luna will always be best pony!
There can only be one...

GoldenTerrabyte

Ah, early 2012. We(my older sister and I) were scrolling through lists of things acaliable to watch on Netflix instant streaming. We come across My Little Pony on there. She decides to try watching it, so we watch the first episode. As soon as we started watching, we could tell this was going to be amazing. We both started watching the show a bunch(me a little more than she). Eventually, it started to escalate. I started drawing ponies, eventually leading up to me drawing a character design I made up(who eventually evolved into Rainstorm). I started creating more characters, including my ponysona Yellow Light. I started participating in roleplay, because I wanted to use these characters for something. And it all led up to where I am today.
I'm back

albedoequals1

I watched Screw Attack's death battle video "Starscream vs Rainbow Dash" on YouTube and when the pony trashed the transformer I thought, "Huh, I should look that up."  I wasn't sure about it until Sonic Rainboom, and then I knew I would have to watch them all.

Jusey1

Kept seeing bronies and pony-related stuff everywhere... Like literally. So was like "Okay... Wtf is with all of this?" and ended up watching the Season 1 premiere. I even told my mother that "Oh don't mind me... I'll most likely hate this and will only be watching it once..."

Well... Ye'h. That did not happen XD

SuperCody64

Well, it was another normal day on TF2, i was pretty much doing nothing, but a friend called me for a duel, and i accepted... after i accepted, he said "If you lose, you'll watch the whole series"... What could i lose? So we fought and i lost, now im here telling y'all about how much i loved the series and how thankful i am to my friend

OmnipotentChocolateMilk

It was actually a family member that introduced me to FiM. Before then, I came into little to no contact with the Brony community and didn't even know they existed; I did see a brony video way back in '11 (Solrac's At the FU*KING Gala song): I didn't know what was going on and the only thing I thought was "Someone got a hold of his sister's DVDs." - I gave little to no notice to that due to that. I continued my (sad) life as always, eventually moving up to secondary school.

Now, in April, 2013 (was it really nine months already?) I saw my five-year old cousin watching My Little Pony and I decided to watch it with her because I was bored and I normally watch cartoons with her on a regular basis (everything from Johnny Test to even Barbie) and I caught sight of The Canterlot Wedding; after watching the same cartoon series for a week; it had to be one of my favourite episodes of FiM at the time (I had ignored the inconsistencies that I perceived from my second watch and from reviews) and I had decided to watch FiM in my leisure time instead of just with my cousin.

Shortly after I started viewing MLP: FiM myself, I was introduced to the beam of light in the internet: I met the Brony community. After I finished Season 3, I saw a bunch of non-show music videos propping up and they were pretty well made - way better than what a little girl is capable of. I beginning watching a-many videos created by these older fans and eventually had a pretty good understanding on the Brony community and I became a Brony.  <3 you guys.

Blackened

I made a post about it on MLPForums, but I shall copy it here.

I became one around June 2011. I was browsing Youtube, when I decided to check a Youtuber that I had been following since 2006 (Masterlinkx), and I noticed some MLP videos on his channel. I was only 13 at the time, so it doesn't surprise me that my reaction went something like, "What...Seriously, are these men gay? Why are men watching My Little Pony?!" but then I took an arrow in the knee watched some clips of the show and I was rather shocked to find it was just amazing! It wasn't until January 2012, however, until I watched the first two episodes of the show with my friend. We then watched the entire show in a matter of weeks, finally catching up with one of the episodes in season 2, which if I remember correctly, was Putting Your Hoof Down.

Zodia195

For me it was a slow process.  I knew about the show before it even came on because I have satellite and they always announce when new channels were coming.  The Hub was one of those channels that got announced when I was watching one of the other cartoon channels.  MLP was one of the shows they mentioned.  I was not excited at the time.  I think my reason was that I was a fan of Gen1 (yes I am that old lol) and knew that Gen 2 and 3 were horrible so I didn't have a lot of faith in this new series.  That was over 4 years ago.  Well this time last year I was watching one of my favorite youtube channels, Josh Burner's Fiery Joker Channel.  One day out of the blue he covers an MLP episode.  The man is known for his video game countdowns and reviews and he's in the military.  He liked MLP?  I was like, "Wtf?"  It started getting me curious.  Finally a few months later, one of my closest friends put Pinkie Pie's Welcome song as a greeting for new members in a group we're in.  That song got me hooked and I checked out Josh's MLP reviews.  The rest they say is history.  I am a fan of the Brony Analysts and have started doing my own fan art.

bauccgia0

Did I mention Sweet Apple Massacre the first time I posted here? I'm sure I did.

VinylScratch3

The way i became a brony or i call myself a pegasister but whatever i became a brony while i was eating lunch with my family at the mall and the episode griffon the brush off was on the mini tvs i saw it i watched it and i thought wow this shows good i wonder what it is i did some reaserch at home and found out it was MLP i was shocked beacuase i'd always would have thought of MLP as girly until i watched it now i ony known about the previous gens of MLP and so my friends at school are all tomboys and well i kinda shed my skin of acting all tough so i started watching my little pony and i liked it the first episode i ever saw was grfffon brush off but it was 2 years before i started watching the show on netflix

Crimson Tail

I supposed i'll put my little story here.

Back in May 2011
It was a normal day of browsing the net, i was considered a 'neutral', it was out of curiosity that i checked out one those threads mainly pointing to the show in general. Didn't say anything about that and went on with my day. At least a few days later, i got curious about watching one of the episodes, i watched at least two episodes during one night(I forgot what they were..). I started liking it, i had to hide the fact that i like it, because i don't want to be made fun of.

And for the first two months, the opening theme kinda makes me feel weird like i tend to mute the sound during that, but i got used to it.

Curiosity, is what made me into the show  lol

Currently, no one knows the fact that i watch the show, except for my little sister who started watching it as well about 6 months months ago.
Profile image by LunaEclipsa, uncropped

Toast

I came across some pony videos in my related videos on Youtube. Having heard of the ponies before and being somewhat curious, I decided to check it out. I believe it was the "you're going to love me" clip from the Season 1 finale. I laughed and checked out a sparta remix, then some other pony videos. I decided to watch the first few episodes, though going in I was certain I was going to like it at this point since I enjoyed the clips so much. And I did. Been two years since then and still going strong.
You're gonna carry that weight.

PiokLial

Last year in January, a friend of mine made me play MLP : Roleplaying is Magic as a "surprise RPG" (I had no idea what I was gonna see when I decided to play) in a convention. I decided to go along, thinking "hey, what's wrong with playing My Little Pony ?". So the night passed, and we kinda ended in the civil war between the New Lunar Republic and the Solar Empire, and we may have killed some important ponies... War is war, y'know that kind of thing.
So later that week, I decided to give the show a try, since I had fun with the RPG. I watched half of season 1 in one sitting, so I realised that I was hooked, and found out about this community a few days later. Been happy to be a brony ever since !

Sutekh94

I became a brony in mid-2011, when I started seeing pony-related stuff on a couple of Sonic the Hedgehog-related forums I was on.  And, of course, I was kinda skeptical about it at the time.  However, curiosity eventually got a hold of me and I decided to watch a couple episodes on YouTube.  Let's just say that "Sonic Rainboom" started me down a path to where I am today.

PrizePossession

Became a brony in early 2011.

I often browse the favourites of a good friend's YouTube channel, and when browsing through his latest, I saw this rather colourful thumbnail and wondered what it was. I clicked it open and read the title: "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Episode 1".

We both spent our fair share of time bashing a lot of the shows that were being produced at the time, and how they weren't anything near the standards of 90s cartoons. It was obvious! He'd put this in here as laughing-stock material for one of our conversations we would inevitably have later on.

So I started to watch it... And then I watched some more... I was waiting for the laugh-out-loud shockingly bad moment to come, but it didn't. I'd reached the end of episode 1 by this point and had noticed a strange thought in the back of my mind. This show that I'm meant to be rolling my eyes at and laughing at has me oddly drawn in by what had been happening. I thought I'd better inspect episode 2. Maybe I'd find the fodder there.

That didn't work either. The second episode finished with a very satisfying conclusion and I ended up having to take a step back.

"Wait a moment. Not only did I not find that awful, I found it good. VERY good... What's wrong with me here?!"

I watched both parts through a couple more times to make sure, but nope. I still left the episodes feeling satisfied, having enjoyed all and everything that had happened. The cast of characters was wonderful, the animation style was simple, but effective and aesthetically pleasing and its writing was the best I'd experienced from animation in a long, LONG time.

I eventually chatted to my friend later on, and the conversation pretty much went as follows.

"So... This My Little Pony thing."

"Yes?"

"Something's up... Why do I find myself really liking this? What's wrong with me??"

"...Oh thank god. I thought I was the only one! Ponies are awesome."

Things pretty much snowballed from there really.

Altonator

2014 Jan 28, 19:17:27 #259 Last Edit: 2014 Jan 28, 19:21:52 by Altonator
One of my friends showed me flutterwonder, I had just watched the most wonderful song ever and from that point I just needed to see the episodes of MLP for myself to see what I was missing out on. I watched all of season 1 in a single day.
<3

Then I heard there would be a season 2 coming out soon and I couldn't wait for it  ^-^

Go Up