The Silverdale Saga (No Jump-in Please)

Started by Morning Glory, 2012 Jun 19, 15:49:38

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Morning Glory

2012 Jun 19, 15:49:38 Last Edit: 2012 Jun 19, 16:22:44 by Morning Glory
Sign-up thread (please read the rules): http://forum.legendsofequestria.com/index.php?topic=2890.0

The sign up thread will also act as an OOC thread. Post questions and comments you have about the RP there.

Setting:

Silverdale is a medium-sized mining town in the northwestern portion of Equestria. The environment is temperate, with moderate summers and winters and above average rainfall. Most of the metal products in Equestria come from the Silverdale mine. Rich in iron, gold, tin, copper, and of course silver, the earth around Silverdale is a valuable asset to ponykind. Nearly all the ponies in Silverdale are miners or metalworkers. Most of the town made up of housing for the workers, but there is a market street and a large line of buildings closer to the mine that processes the ore and gems found underground. There the metal is purified, melted and formed into bars. From there, most of it is shipped off to other cities. The rest is kept and crafted by Silverdale's many blacksmiths.

In addition to the miners, there are some artisans and farmers, including a branch of the famous Apple family. There are also bakers, carpenters and tailors, but most only produce enough of  their wares to be sold to those living in the village. There is also a small schoolhouse nearer to the residential area of town that includes a basic library.

The town was founded by earth ponies, and is still not very well populated by unicorns or pegasi. The residents of Silverdale are down-to-earth and hardworking. They are simple and prefer to be blunt and straightforward. They have somewhat accepted the other two pony races in their town, and live in relative harmony together. However, they tend to be mistrusting of strangers and can be a little cold to outsiders.

The market street includes:

A large town hall
A medium-sized inn
Seven blacksmith's shops
Three bakeries, one of which is also a café, a second that makes candy, and a third that doubles as a tea shop
Two carpenter's shops
A small diner
A tailor/dress maker's shop
A seamstress that sells household items like sheets and curtains
A large general store
A small toyshop
A small bank
A gem and jewelry merchant
A grocer that sells mostly vegetables
A permanent booth from Appleshine Farms that sells apples and other apple products
A second fruit stand that sells everything but apples (how could they ever compete?)
A large tavern frequented by miner ponies after quitting time

Notable NPCs:

Mayor Ironhoof: Lawmaker of the town

Pink Lady Apple: Owner and operator of Appleshine Farms.

Peppershake: Owner of the Feed Bag Diner

Coaldust: Overseer of the Silverdale Mine

Garnet: Owner of the Trot On Inn

Coinlock: Owner of the Silverdale Bank

Nicklebrew: Owner of the Silver Trough Tavern

Pebblechime: Owner of the General Store

Scene:

The Summer Sun Celebration is underway in Silverdale. This morning, the Princess raised the sun. For the rest of the day there will be a small festival with games, shows, prizes and food. Along the market street are many booths and tables, selling trinkets and carnival food. There are several performers playing music. A large tent is set up outside the Trot On Inn, where there are tables and chairs for ponies to rest and relax. Fillies and colts run by, blowing bubbles, twirling pinwheels, and waving sparklers. Many of the businesses on the street are having special sales, including the gem merchant and the toyshop. It is now noon and the games will be beginning after lunch at one o'clock.

Please take note of any text written by the GMs. It will be clearly marked as separate from IC posts and needs to be taken into account by all players.

Coffee Rush

Ribbons was running along the roads of the town, playing with her friends.
[glow=black,2,300]"Tag! Your it!"[/glow] A colt shouted, beginning to run away from a filly.
[glow=limegreen,2,300]"No way!"[/glow] The filly said, beginning to chase after the colt.
[glow=green,2,300]"You can't get me!"[/glow] Ribbons teased, climbing up a tree as fast she could.
My OC can be found here!

Morning Glory

2012 Jun 19, 16:02:25 #2 Last Edit: 2012 Jun 19, 16:39:59 by Morning Glory
Coppershine strolled down the market street, watching the excitement of the celebration. She did not usually like this much activity, but watching her town so happy was something she enjoyed. She dodged a group of excited foals zipping past and stopped to look over the many colorful wares for sale. Flags and streamers waved at her from one stall, while bright gemstones glimmered from the jewelry stand. Moving on, she paused again before a jolly stallion playing a fiddle. She smiled at him and trotted on towards the Feed Bag Diner.

She knew Peppershake always made his special Sun Celebration Scones. Covered in raspberry jam and butter, there were few things Coppershine liked better. She reached the red marquee jutting out over the entrance to the Feed Bag and breathed in the heavenly scent wafting from the ovens.

"Wow Pepper! This years batch smells even better than the last one. Two please. And a lemonade as well." She reached into her saddlebags and pulled out her money purse. Dropping three gold bits on to the counter, she took her scones wrapped in a checked napkin and a paper cup of cold lemonade. Carrying the cup in her mouth and jamming the scones in her bag, she made her way to the covered area in front of the Inn and sat down at an empty table to enjoy her lunch.

GalvinRoe

Strokes and company were once again wandering out of the wilderness but ahead of them was a town they had never chanced upon before, perhaps they were always a mile too west or a mile too east but they had never spotted Silverdale before.

The group looked on with interest, they hadn't bathed for a week or so and the dirt of the road clung heavily to their coats and manes.

Bright Mane got her oppinion out first: Look a town! Come on, we're going in for a rest. We need supplies and we haven't showered in weeks!

None of these statments were . . . completly true. Their supplies were adequate and they could make due with berries and spring water, but a new town? This was interesting perhaps they should investigate.

So Green Strokes consented and they all were put in a merry mood.

Strokes began humming and broke out in song, singing "Loch Lomand"

. . . where me and my truuuuee love willlll never~ meet again~! On the bonny bonny hilllllssss~ of Loch Looooomannnnd.

Coffee Rush

The other filly started climbing the tree, and Ribbons crawled down. She knew she was the best tree climber in her class, and maybe even all of Silverdale! Well, it was doubtful. A few fillies ran, and dived into a bush, hiding from the one that had been tagged. A few colts hid elsewhere, snickering about something.

Ribbons ran off from the filly, and dived into the bush the others were in.
[glow=blue,2,300]"Ribbons! You it?"[/glow] One asked.
[glow=green,2,300]"Wouldn't you be tagged by now if I was it?"[/glow] She replied.
[glow=blue,2,300]"True..."[/glow] The filly said.
A colt stood up, and looked at Strokes. [glow=brown,2,300]"Hey! Why're you singing?!"[/glow] He asked loudly, and the filly came by and poked him.
[glow=limegreen,2,300]"Tag!"[/glow] The one filly said, running off.
My OC can be found here!

GalvinRoe

Strokes laughed happily, his song had made him tear up, a little. So he wiped those simmering drops from his eyes.

Hello there, friend, do you have a second before you run off after that friend of yours?

Coffee Rush

[glow=brown,2,300]"I guess, yeah!"[/glow] The colt said.
Ribbons stayed still, along with her other friends.
My OC can be found here!

GalvinRoe

Quote from: Coffee Rush on 2012 Jun 19, 16:18:42
[glow=brown,2,300]"I guess, yeah!"[/glow] The colt said.
Ribbons stayed still, along with her other friends.

Strokes smiled his eyes laughing

We've just come in out of the wilderness you see and we were wondering if there was an Inn or hostle around. We are . . . dirty as you can see.

He looked at himself and laughed.

Bright Mane rolled her eyes. And we're after some food too!

Right Hoof looked at all the bustle.

What's going on here anyway? A parade? No, there aren't any floats . . .

Coffee Rush

[glow=brown,2,300]"Its the Summer Sun Celebration! Are you a forest pony, or what?"[/glow] The colt said.
A filly ran behind him, and he gave a small chase before tagging her. The filly tagged him back.
[glow=brown,2,300]"No tagbacks!"[/glow] He teased, and ran back to Strokes.
My OC can be found here!

GalvinRoe

2012 Jun 19, 16:33:32 #9 Last Edit: 2012 Jun 19, 16:36:16 by GalvinRoe
Strokes twitched his complexion turning sour, fast.

Right hoof moved forward to take on the responisbility of shewing the ponies AWAY from the scene before something nasty occured.

Haha, well we'll have plenty of time to chat later, we need to find a room and all that. Lot's to do. I promise we'll come back later though

The large brown unicorn stallion towered over the little fillies.

Bright Mane looked at Strokes, there was some concern in her glance.

I see . . . We found this town on the wrong day . . . Maybe we should head back out for now . . .

Strokes seemed to calm, as these words were spoken, maybe a little before Bright Mane had finished.

No, no I haven't been to a sun celebration in years, how about we see if it's still the same worshiping nonsense it always has been! Shall we?

Bright Mane looked to Right Hoof, worry and maybe even a little fear?

Coffee Rush

The colt's eyebrow raised, but he shrugged.
[glow=brown,2,300]"Well, I need to go do something..."[/glow] He said as he trotted off.
(( I needa go.. Back in an hour ))
My OC can be found here!

GalvinRoe

Strokes started off towards town. He . . . seemed calm . . . The two other ponies didn't try and stop him. That would upset him and hopefully nothing set him off . . .

You two are slow today, come on! He started up on his song again

Me and my truue~ love will never~ meet again~! . . .

It seemed he was doing all-right.

Morning Glory

2012 Jun 19, 17:00:46 #12 Last Edit: 2012 Jun 19, 17:04:22 by Morning Glory
GM:

Pink Lady stood at her Appleshine Farms stand. Having just served the last pony in a long line that had built up, she pulled another tray of fresh caramel apples out from under the counter. She always did good business. Pink Lady was a rose-pink mare with her mane piled on her head in a fancy twisting bun. Without question she was the prettiest mare in town, and she was ever so lovely, there were few ponies in Silverdale, let alone Equestria that could resist her charm.  Laying out the golden-caramelled apples, she shouted over the crowd. "Fresh caramel apples! Get your Sun Celebration apples here! Carmel Apples! Fritters! Ice-cold apple juice! Come and get the finest apples north of Canterlot!"

Her eyes landed on a trio of three weary looking ponies. They were clearly outsiders. Normally Silverdale was weary of strangers, but today was a day for celebration and community. She pointed a hoof. "You there! Come my friends, there's nothing better for a tired traveler than a fresh bottle of apple juice. Half-price today!"

GalvinRoe

Her charms wern't lost on the ponies she called over but when Strokes saw the mare her beauty affected his spirts, adversly to what was usual. He looked sad. Still he greeted the mare with his normal level of interest.

Good evening! Half price, you say? We'll I think we might come back and take a look at these fine goods, later. Can you guide us to the local Inn?

He was attempting to block out the sights and sounds around him by focusing intently on her goods, carts and even the mare herself.

Bright Mane was absoluetly astounded by the Mare's beauty and jealous. She couldn't compare to Pink Lady but if she was clean and had time to do her hair she was fine looking. But if she could stay clean, she wasn't with Green Strokes and she was ALWAYS with Green Strokes.

Right Hoof looked on in embaresment, trying to avoid looking at the mare but his eyes kept wandering to her face.

The Wandering Magus

"All furniture twenty percent off!" called Juniper from her stand.

She had set up shop bright and early, looking to get a good spot, but as others had the same idea she ended up at a less-crowded area and not too many were coming by.  Not that too many had much need for woodworking items anyways.

She took another sip of water as she leaned back in her chair, sighing a bit.  She never remembered to come the day BEFORE the celebration to set up... Then again, she had little to complain about, and nopony to blame but herself for her troubles.  She breathed a silent prayer to Celestia for at least ONE customer other than the fillies and colts who stopped by every now and then to purchase a few toys and leave.

Feather was sitting next to her, helping keep track of inventory and such.  On other days, he would have been back home in his private laboratory or in the mines doing his experiments, but the two of them thought today would be a busy day, given the celebration and all.  And of course, it WAS the anniversary of their first meeting.

The mare smiled a bit, remembering that moment when she first set eyes upon the blue stallion who would become her husband.  Feather was still going over the inventory a third time when he felt his wife nuzzle him, and gently lay his quill down to nuzzle her back before getting back to his duties.

Feeling a little better, Juniper looked forlornly out at the distracted crowd, waiting for customers...
(sorry Bakasan, chose this image)
Descriptions and art of my OCs here: http://legendsofequestria.com/forum/index.php?topic=2636
my art: http://legendsofequestria.com/forum/index.php?topic=298
visiting soldier sister, be back 8/12/2013

Morning Glory

GM:

Pink Lady flashed a winning smile as the group approached her cart. She could see they were dirty and looked like they had been traveling for a long time now they were closer. A much as she was a business pony, she was kind at heart. She gave a genuine grin to Bright Mane and fluttered her eyelashes and winked at Right Hoof. "Certainly I can! Just head down the street and look for the big yellow tent. That's the Trot On Inn. Go inside and ask for Garnet. She'll take care of you and set you up with rooms." She saw Strokes's face and her eyes softened. "And here my friends, on the house!" She reached into the barrel filled with ice and offered three glass bottles filled with cool, refreshing apple juice.

GalvinRoe

How generous . . . Thank you. Strokes smiled but his eyes were lost in sadness.

Right Hoof blushed and smiled to himself. Bright Mane was past jealousy now, she was irritated at the mare.

Come on! Let's go.

The troop headed off and Right Hoof waved back awkwardly, a kind farewell to the mare.

Morning Glory

2012 Jun 19, 17:27:02 #17 Last Edit: 2012 Jun 19, 17:31:03 by Morning Glory
Having finished her lunch, Coppershine tossed her paper napkin and cup into a trash can and stood. Now she was fed, she was ready to look around the fair. Brushing the scone crumbs off her bandana, she walked down the market street once more. Now she could walk slowly and take everything in. Getting bumped and shuffled in the crowd, she moved down past the inn to a quieter area. There she saw some of the shops that had opened later in the day. She admired some of the cast-iron pans at one stand. Copper loved cooking and she always was on the look out for new utensils and tools for her hobby.

Making her way down the street, she saw Juniper's stall. She didn't know the mare well, but in this size a town, they had passed one another occasionally. Her eyes lit at the woodwork. Her favorite wooden mixing spoon had broken the day before. She could use a new cutting board as well. Trotting over, she smiled and waved.

"Hello. What do you have in the way of kitchen goods? I had the most wonderful mixing spoon for years, and it finally snapped in half yesterday. Any chance you got a replacement for me?"

The Wandering Magus

Quote from: Morning Glory on 2012 Jun 19, 17:27:02
Having finished her lunch, Coppershine tossed her paper napkin and cup into a trash can and stood. Now she was fed, she was ready to look around the fair. Brushing the scone crumbs off her bandana, she walked down the market street once more. Now she could walk slowly and take everything in. Getting bumped and shuffled in the crowd, she moved down past the in to a quieter area. There she saw some of the shops that had opened later in the day. She admired some of the cast-iron pans at one stand. Copper loved cooking and she always was on the look out for new utensils and tools for her hobby.

Making her way down the street, she saw Juniper's stall. She didn't know the mare well, but in this size a town, they had passed one another occasionally. Her eyes light at the woodwork. Her favorite wooden mixing spoon had broken the day before. She could use a new cutting board as well. Trotting over, she smiled and waved.

"Hello. What do you have in the way of kitchen goods? I had the most wonderful mixing spoon for years, and it finally snapped in half yesterday. Any chance you got a replacement for me?"
Juniper brightened at having a customer, and quickly sat up as the mare approached.

"We have all sorts of spoons for all your needs!  All manner of wood, all manner of shapes and sizes."

She brought out a large selection of spoons and other kitchen implements made of wood.  True to her word, they were of all shapes and sizes, some of oak, some of cedar, still others of hickory, cherry and all sorts of other woods.  Quite a few seemed to fit the need exactly, but had different decorations on them, some shaped one way, and some another way, all perfectly good mixing spoons.  The prices, too, were good and cheap.  Juniper was an honest businesspony, and though shrewd, never cheated her customers when looking for profit.

Among the other items brought out were bowls, cups, cutting boards, dish drying racks, plates, and all manner of other useful utensils for the kitchen and the rest of the house.
(sorry Bakasan, chose this image)
Descriptions and art of my OCs here: http://legendsofequestria.com/forum/index.php?topic=2636
my art: http://legendsofequestria.com/forum/index.php?topic=298
visiting soldier sister, be back 8/12/2013

Morning Glory

GM:

Garnet rushed to and fro around the yellow tent set up outside her inn. She greeted the ponies seated at the tables and offered cups of ice water from the tray on her back. She came by with a rag and wiped up the table Coppershine had left, cleaning up the crumbs and getting it ready for another visitor. She was tired already, and it was only noon, but it was a great service she offered to her community by having a place for ponies to rest and eat during the festival. She picked up the smoking stubs of sparklers a pair of fillies had left behind. With a sigh she sat down and plopped the tray of cups on to a table. Grabbing one in her mouth, she tossed it back in one gulp. At least her Inn was clean and ready for any visitors that came to stay for the celebration.

Go Up