Forum Suggestion: Mark All As Read

Started by Amethysta Starfall, 2017 Aug 23, 18:50:27

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Amethysta Starfall

I had a quick Search for similar thread and found none... therefore a suggestion for the Forum boards:

Would it be possible to add an "Mark All As Read" feature to the forum boards?

This would be an alternative to clicking and opening every old thread in order that the newer fresh posts show up more prominently.

It's not that I don't want to read all the interesting things already posted over the last few years, but I would much rather search for historical topics.

Anyhoo, what do other's think?

Amethysta Starfall

Okay ... on clicking on the Unread Posts link at the top of the board, I was shown a button to 'Mark All Posts As Read' for the whole forum.

Just my opinion, but this is not very intuitive and a 'Mark All Posts As Read' button visible for individual boards would be preferable.

Please let me know if I'm wrong - I'm not ruling out the possibility that my Chrome browser might not be displaying everything correctly.

Cheers mi dears.

GoFish

There is already a 'Mark ALL messages as read' on the bottom right of the forum home page.
Or you can click on the icon of a board and then click on "All Read" to mark all messages as read for this board.

Amethysta Starfall

Hi GoFish,

Thank you for your reply.  Today I attempted to recreate the circumstances which had caused my original query:

I think part of my confusion was on not realising that (1) clicking on the board title and clicking on the board icon, have different function presenting the messages in different ways - the Mark All Messages As Read (MAMAR) is only visible after clicking on the board icon, and (2) and that MAMAR button is only visible when there are actual unread messages, in short...

click title, unread false, no mamar
click icon, unread false, no mamar
click title, unread true, no mamar
click icon, unread true, mamar top right true

Of course now I can see the logic  :P (it's just the first time I have come across a forum control that is only visible dependant on status).

Elphyda

Hello, Amethysta Starfall!

There are numerous ways to mark many messages as read-- through the index page and through the "Unread Posts" and "Updated Topics" pages.  As GoFish already stated, the button to mark all as read on the index page is on the bottom right of the Index page.  To mark all as read in "Unread Posts" and "Updated Topics", the button is directly below the links that bring you to such page.  All three of those methods are shown in the image below.  I hope this helps!

Go Up