Introducing Karma!

Started by Liska, 2012 Apr 06, 00:06:41

previous topic - next topic

Keep or remove?

Keep the Karma System
Remove the Karma System
Go Down

Book Smarts

So far, no bugs for me, seems little hard to understand if your new to the forum though 8D

PurrpleNova

2012 Apr 07, 03:17:09 #41 Last Edit: 2012 Apr 07, 16:02:47 by PurrpleNova
Hooray!!  A site where quality trumps quantity!  This idea seems to be so lost now-a-days...

(lol thanks Ninkon)
[move=12][/move]

Ninkon

You do mean mean "Quality over Quantity" I hope ^-^

_____Cedar Woods____________Chilly Breeze_____________Bronze Kettle_____
http://forum.legendsofequestr

Lyana

This could either be a good or bad thing, it totally depends on how people use it I think.
I'm not against it as of now... however, I can't see the magic wand or give anypony karma. Anyone know why?

Thanks for the drawings Sugarcup!

Zygrograxgra

Yeah, from what I can see, this is a system based on who likes who, not who makes good posts.

Quote from: AnyaSmash on 2012 Apr 06, 00:06:41
You don't necessarily have to agree with what they're saying to give somepony positive karma, as long as you like their post or think it's a good post, giving them positive karma will increase their reputation and in turn help them give others fair reputations!

Here is is clear that this is meant to encourage quality, but people with generally low quality posts (such as Madness) have extremely high reputation.
The system needs to be changed into something that rewards quality, not knowing people.

Titanium Mushrooms
Are you happy yet?!

Ninkon

Quote from: Zygrograxgra on 2012 Apr 07, 20:03:06
Yeah, from what I can see, this is a system based on who likes who, not who makes good posts.

Quote from: AnyaSmash on 2012 Apr 06, 00:06:41
You don't necessarily have to agree with what they're saying to give somepony positive karma, as long as you like their post or think it's a good post, giving them positive karma will increase their reputation and in turn help them give others fair reputations!

Here is is clear that this is meant to encourage quality, but people with generally low quality posts (such as Madness) have extremely high reputation.
The system needs to be changed into something that rewards quality, not knowing people.
It's called 'Reputation power' It's only fitting that Madness should have lots, also ponies just like his posts.

Explolguy

I've found that I can't see who has given me reputation. Shame.

Also, people are going to rep posts that they like, plain and simple. It won't be a quality issue as much as a, "I like/dislike this" issue.

Also, I'm waiting for the thread that says, "LOLREPMEPLOX."

Zygrograxgra

Quote from: Explolguy on 2012 Apr 07, 23:21:56

Also, people are going to rep posts that they like, plain and simple. It won't be a quality issue as much as a, "I like/dislike this" issue.

Done.

Titanium Mushrooms
Are you happy yet?!

Brick Stonewood

Quote from: Explolguy on 2012 Apr 07, 23:21:56

Well, so far as I'm aware, it's currently impossible to have a system that is based on actual quality, as I do not believe we have machines that are capable of recognizing quality. Although popularity is not the same thing as quality by any means, the two are more often in correlation than are quality and quantity. To reward each post equally would directly undermine a crusade toward quality, whereas rewarding popularity does, at least, act as a step in the right direction, as quality posts are more likely to be popular among the users than are the posts which consist entirely of smileys or phrases such as the example you have just given. Having said that, we would welcome any reasonable ideas for improvement with this system.

Explolguy

I wasn't implying it to be a fault on the staff's behalf, I was just pointing out the truth of it. As much as I wish people would merely reward quality when they see it, that's not going to be the case. There really isn't anything that can be done to improve the system, per-say. All you can really do is put faith in the userbase.

Liska

Quote from: Explolguy on 2012 Apr 08, 01:31:39
I wasn't implying it to be a fault on the staff's behalf, I was just pointing out the truth of it. As much as I wish people would merely reward quality when they see it, that's not going to be the case. There really isn't anything that can be done to improve the system, per-say. All you can really do is put faith in the userbase.

Yeah, you're right.

Lord of Madness

but people with generally low quality posts (such as Madness) have extremely high reputation.

most my posts are a sentence long and they are ALL different... you have made me sad for saying my posts are of low quality... and my out of thread game posts can be from 1 to 8 sentences... you should check next time before accusations... but i dont blame you AND i forgive you! :)

Mr.Darkling

Quote from: Lord of Madness on 2012 Apr 08, 03:22:03
but people with generally low quality posts (such as Madness) have extremely high reputation.

most my posts are a sentence long ||| and my out of thread game posts can be from 1 to 8 sentences

That's quantity Madness, not quality.

Still on a serious note Madness.
I find your posts too focused on role-playing your character (even out of the role-playing sections of the forums.)
At times, so much so, that you don't give any real feedback or any that I can relate to in any shape or form.
That's my 2 cents anyway.
"Man is a make-believe animal, he is never so truly himself as when he is acting the part"

Lord of Madness

2012 Apr 08, 08:16:58 #53 Last Edit: 2012 Apr 08, 08:32:26 by Lord of Madness
longer forum posts usually = better quality *Hugs Darkling, his good friend*

but my OC reflects my Personality, even thou i give some slightly insane oriented opinions or posts outside of RP forums they have slight structure in them, usually enough to belong withing said thread that they find themselves in, and if seriousness is needed ill do what needs to be done for the best of our community, but note taken Darkling ^-^

Mr.Darkling

2012 Apr 08, 08:32:49 #54 Last Edit: 2012 Apr 08, 08:42:52 by Mr.Darkling
Quote from: Lord of Madness on 2012 Apr 08, 08:16:58
longer forum posts usually = better quality *Hugs Darkling, his good friend*

Never heard of quality over quantity?  ;)

Quote from: Lord of Madness on 2012 Apr 08, 08:16:58
but my OC reflects my Personality, even thou i give some slightly insane oriented opinions or posts outside of RP forums they have slight structure in them, usually enough to belong withing said thread that they find themselves in, and if seriousness is needed ill do what needs to be done for the best of our community, but note taken Darkling ^-^

Good to know I guess  ^-^

Anyway ontopic:

Is there a way to see the different ranks there are?
I saw the chimney one which made me chuckle so I'm curious of the others  :)
"Man is a make-believe animal, he is never so truly himself as when he is acting the part"

Brick Stonewood

I'm fairly certain there's no way of seeing a list of the ranks at this time. Really, though, what fun would it be if you could just see all of them right away? Given the proper amount of time, I'm sure they'll all spring up sooner or later.

PurrpleNova

i kinda like being surprised and not knowing what rank is next...
that is unless the i finally get like a super high rank and it turns out to be no-life  lol
[move=12][/move]

Lord of Madness

i can only hope it ends up being a reference to something insane ovO

Dream Warden

Not really a big fan of karma functions without a low cap. It always ends in bragging and looking down on people with low karma.
Then again this is a My little pony forum, so you never know.

Ninkon

Madness always dresses in style. *-*

Go Up