Nintendo Wii and DS online services discontinued

Started by Rikaria, 2014 Feb 27, 01:00:06

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Rikaria

2014 Feb 27, 01:00:06 Last Edit: 2014 May 20, 09:17:02 by Rikaria
Main article | More info | List of affected games

Hope you like your Wii and DS games that have online features, because as of May 20, 2014 they'll no longer be able to connect. I just hope Nintendo has plans to "fix" this, because I'm sure A LOT of fans (including myself) are raging at the fact that we won't be able to trade Pokémon or play Super Smash Bros. Brawl with others worldwide, to name a couple examples.
If I'm not here, I'm most likely on Pokémon Shuffle's Miiverse community.

Prismatic

I was gonna look at it at the WFC being free but Microsoft also did the same thing with the original Xbox.

If anything the reason I've seen when these things come up is the amount of players that currently use those online features.  With Pokemon X and Y many people may of stopped playing the older DS games (I never connected any of my DS games, except maybe Star Fox: Command, to WFC).  If there isn't enough players to justify the service it is an unnecessary cost to Nintendo.

Jenzy

Well that Super sucks... Things certainly don't last forever. :\

For Pokemon, transfers really must be made to get Pokemon functional in the new X/Y for Nintendo Network.
Even any Online for the past Pokemon. (you being a big fan, it must hurt a lot. It's not the end of the world, but it seems like a big effect)

Looks like Mario Kart DS and Wii are out too, now leaving it up to 7 and 8.

I never got to reconnect to DS's Wi-Fi (because of the Wi-Fi security). For Wii, now on my Wii U, I could probably take it for a spin one last time if I still can. It had been pretty fun. (All I'm doing now is getting my 3-Star Rankings in Grand Prix and Missions on it, and regain my lost Save Data that was deleted by someone long ago)

I don't have much Online Wii or DS games, aside from the Karts. And I'm not really the "aggressive Online gamer" lol, but it does still affect me in some way. I would've probably still wanted to have tried something like Wii's Smash Brawl online besides "4 Wii U" and "4 3DS."

I also used to post a lot of Mario vs. DK level designs. I'll be alright without that ability though.

Rikaria

Quote from: Prismatic on 2014 Feb 27, 01:21:06
If there isn't enough players to justify the service it is an unnecessary cost to Nintendo.

Yeah, I kinda figured this would be the case, but still...

Quote from: Jenzy on 2014 Feb 27, 03:39:36
I would've probably still wanted to have tried something like Wii's Smash Brawl online besides "4 Wii U" and "4 3DS."

Though I'm sure they'll probably make the fourth game (somewhat) better, Brawl was really fun in its own way. It's gonna be really depressing for me when the services stop because I don't have any nearby friends to play the game with :(

GoldenTerrabyte

Right. I went on an old DSi and went on the DSi Shop, and I was surprised the servers were still up after the 3DS had been around for so long already. I knew they'd do this sooner or later.
I'm back

Jenzy

I'm thinking some of the fans are like: "Wii didn't want U to do this..." :(

I wonder what's going to be the fate for the DS and Wii. The first ever time the Nintendo WFC was put up was on Mario Kart DS, which is... Wow! 9 years already?! O:

Quote from: Yellowpikmin476 on 2014 Feb 27, 09:42:32
Right. I went on an old DSi and went on the DSi Shop, and I was surprised the servers were still up after the 3DS had been around for so long already. I knew they'd do this sooner or later.

Reading thoroughly in the side, I found this...
Only online features for games using the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection service are impacted. Other online functionality on Wii and Nintendo DS, such as access to the Wii Shop Channel, the Nintendo DSi Shop and video-on-demand services, are not affected at this time. Online play for Wii U and Nintendo 3DS games will be unaffected (aside from the Wii mode on Wii U and Nintendo DS games played on Nintendo 3DS family systems).

From the wording, it looks like those things for Wii and DS are going away soon as well. Hopefully DSiWare games remain active on the eShop when that happens. I have some games in mind I want to get like Mighty Milky Way...
Not sure what will happen with WiiWare, being completely separated from the eShop, accessible only in Wii Mode.

LostSanity

That's unfortunate for anyone who still likes to play Super Smash Bros. Brawl or any of the Pokemon DS games.

But it's not exactly surprising.

I haven't really been playing my Wii or DS so this probably won't affect me. Maybe.

:s
[shadow=gray,left]I'M ONLY HAPPY WHEN IT REIGNS[/shadow]

The Roman Reigns of the forum

Shadow Mare

Wow... way to kill off Metroid Prime Hunters...

KirbyFluttershy

I wonder how that will affect those that are still playing SSBB, MK: Wii, and AC: CF. It's hard to believe that there's still a lot of people playing SSBB right now, but some wanted to play SSBB online.
3DS Friend Code: 2363-5641-1771
Final Fantasy XI Char/Server: Chiririn / Asura
Yo-kai Watch Wibble Wobble Player Code & Username: 1qmgdmug / KirbySh

Prismatic

As far as I know, the 3DS can run DSiWare, so I don't think Nintendo would shut that off.

I personally believe that the WFC and Nintendo Network are two completely separate services and as such could theoretically run alongside one another (how I can still use battle.net on StarCraft and battle.net 2.0 on StarCraft II) since they're not connected in any way.

Rikaria

And so, the services ended... RIP Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection...

HunterOfTheDark

Well, this won't really affect me, since I'm using a first generation DS, and it can't connect to the internet.
Dig the wax out of your ears because I've got something to say! He takes the blazing sun in his bare hands and endures the searing heat. A mans man sustained by strength of will. When you hear of the great Kamina they're talking about me! You'd best remember that.

KirbyFluttershy

That's true, but the only game that wasn't affected by this shutdown and survived was final fantasy 3 because square-enix picked up tab and made the game survive to the nintendo wi-fi connection.
3DS Friend Code: 2363-5641-1771
Final Fantasy XI Char/Server: Chiririn / Asura
Yo-kai Watch Wibble Wobble Player Code & Username: 1qmgdmug / KirbySh

Itty Bit

And its gone...

... Well, at least there's still 10 days until the New Mario Kart, and by summer we will be playing a (hopefully) more stable version of Smash Bros!

Last night me and a few friends got together and played Brawl in all it's awful online glory for one final hurrah. I also found a new favorite character in the process, Dedede!

I sure am gonna Miss Mario Kart Wii, though...  :c

Book Smarts

Nooooo, I just realized that Jump Ultimate Stars is offline only now  DD:

Prismatic

Quote from: HunterOfTheDark on 2014 May 20, 09:24:28
Well, this won't really affect me, since I'm using a first generation DS, and it can't connect to the internet.

The original DS (and Lite) it only worked on specific games like Mario Kart and such.

Or rather, the Opera Browser card that required the RAM expansion pak.  o.O

WalterWrap2000

Quote from: Itty Bit on 2014 May 20, 12:09:20
And its gone...

... Well, at least there's still 10 days until the New Mario Kart, and by summer we will be playing a (hopefully) more stable version of Smash Bros!

Last night me and a few friends got together and played Brawl in all it's awful online glory for one final hurrah. I also found a new favorite character in the process, Dedede!

I sure am gonna Miss Mario Kart Wii, though...   

You aren't the only one mourning over the loss of Mario Kart Online Play, Smash Bros, Mario Sports Mix (for me).....  ono

But the good thing is the games still exist, and you can still play the games by yourself, or with friends at home! (At least, that's what I'm trying to tell myself....  ^-^ )
"We have a happy Spring, and Summer, and Fall. Can't Winter be happy too?" -Snowdrop

*crying forcefully* "Yes, Snowdrop. Yes it can." -Walter Wrap

AaronMk

Time to move on then.

We got new platforms that have already moved out and the transitional period for those are over. In light of a new generation it's time to dedicate server space for the "new" things. New hardware, new titles, and all that. And it's be cost heavy and inefficient to keep supporting a dwindling consumer base, specially if most of them or going to move to the next in line.

#DeposeGothsFromRomanClay

Shadow Mare

Nightslash360

Some hackers are working on a way to emulate the Nintendo WFC servers, but it requires hacking your DS or Wii. My Wii is already hacked, I still have to hack my DSI.[move] :D :D :D[/move]

Go Up