Tulpa discussion

Started by Teal Turken, 2013 Oct 22, 10:27:45

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Teal Turken

2013 Oct 22, 10:27:45 Last Edit: 2013 Oct 22, 13:51:11 by Teal Turken
As per request of the moderators, here is a topic where all can discuss tulpas freely.
If you've come to this topic not knowing what a tulpa is, here is a website to help you out. http://www.tulpa.info/

Asterian Starfall

2013 Oct 22, 10:29:00 #1 Last Edit: 2013 Oct 22, 15:42:18 by Asterian
Thanks to Teal for creating this topic!

For those of you who do not know, or just do not like clicking links, a tulpa (plural is tulpae) is something of a construct or creature that is imposed upon your five senses using nothing more than your mind's own power.

While most in western philosophy are skeptical of this phenomena, there is evidence that suggests that those who can utilize this fundamental ability of the mind are much more satisfied with their daily life. A tulpa can even gain sentience and be a close companion that you might even have conversations with.

I know that this is all very difficult to believe, but anypony, and I mean ANYPONY, can learn how to generate tulpae as their own friends and conversation buddies!

Spoiler: How to Generate Tulpae • show
Spoiler: Introduction • show
The first thing you must realize is that this is a guideline. Treat it as such, for every person and tulpa is different!

Firstly, I must warn you that this process is mentally demanding and time-consuming. Do not start unless you plan to finish. Although this is not typical, you should not expect to be able to completely impose a tulpa within a week. It usually takes somewhere between a total of 100-200 hours of mental concentration. This is basically two hours per day over the course of anywhere between seven weeks and three and a half months, assuming you do this five days a week. Of course, the amount of time is dependent on how long you stick with your training.

I know this may sound intimidating, but stick with it! Everything you put into a tulpa is what you get out of it, and believe me, it is worth it.

You should try to find a decent place to sit down and relax, with as minimal distractions as possible. You should be spending no less than thirty minutes each day, no more than three hours. You do not want to strain yourself mentally, for it is the most exhaustive thing a human being can go through. Feel free to spread the time throughout the day, so for instance, you can do one hour in the morning and one hour in the afternoon or something along those lines. Your intervals of tulpa-forcing (an umbrella term for visualizing/creating your tulpa) should be no less than thirty minutes, so make sure you have some time on your hooves.

Spoiler: Personality • show
Think about the sort of traits you want your tulpa to have as far as personality. Pick fifteen to thirty traits. Working on personality should take a minimum of three to ten hours, but an ideal goal would be to go for ten to twenty-five or more hours. Remember, what you put into a tulpa is what you get out of it!

Once you have the desired traits, sit down and outline how the trait will manifest itself in the tulpa. This will involve you saying to the tulpa exactly how its traits influence it, for example the trait "generous" might involve saying something like this: "You are generous. You always see to your friends needs and even are willing to sacrifice something of your own to be generous." Speak directly to the tulpa, not about it.

When outlining the traits, take the time to explain how the trait influences their motives, perceptions, likes, dislikes, emotions and how they perceive them, hobbies, and any other relevant information, spending roughly fifteen to thirty minutes on each of these traits.

Spoiler: Visualization • show
Think of a form you wish to have for your tulpa. Think of something you can focus on for hours at a time and is relatively pleasing to the eye, for you will want your tulpa to hang around you, right?

Do not give the tulpa an identical visage as a well-known character. This will lead to identity problems for the tulpa and make it feel like it has to live up to something it is not. You can never make a tulpa identical to any character; they are their own being. Do not stifle them.

Try sitting down and taking a "snapshot" of your surroundings with your mind. Once you have that, close your eyes and super-impose the tulpa over the mental image. Start out with the tulpa in its under-clothes (assuming it is humanoid, ponies hardly have to wear clothes!) for about an hour, then continue the visualization.

Focus on parts of the tulpa until it is perfect. This is something you will need to work towards, but by the time you are done, you should be able to recall every detail on demand and see the tulpa from every angle, having it appear the same each time you see it. This is the easiest step to rush, but you should spend roughly five to fifteen hours on it.

Spoiler: Touch • show
Once the above step has been mastered, begin your tulpa-forcing again. Imagine the tulpa in front of you again and imagine you are walking over to them. Start to feel the tulpa. What does their hair/mane feel like? Their coat/skin? Their body heat?

Note that when a tulpa is imposed on your environment, there is no solidity. You will be able to feel the contours of their structure, their body temperature, and texture, but you will be able to push your hand clean through them. You should spend about five to ten hours on this stage.

Spoiler: Smell • show
I know this will sound weird, but you need to be able to smell your tulpa. Scientific evidence shows that smells can generate more powerful memories than even sight or sound. Do not go overboard with it, but create a general smell for them. Are they wearing some sort of perfume? No matter your choice for their scent, make sure they have the same smell each time. This step is not considered important, but you should not skip over it for the sake of creating a tulpa faster. Spend about three to ten hours on this stage.

Spoiler: Gestures • show
Work out the tulpa's gait, arm swing, gestures, facial expressions, and anything you deem relative to body language.

For facial expressions, which you should probably do last out of all of these, send them thoughts that correspond to each emotion and imagine them reacting. Do not repeat these expressions over and over, as that will emulate parroting, which is explained later. Up until now, the tulpa should have been standing there, still as ever. Put about five to ten hours into this step.

Spoiler: Subsequent Tulpa-forcing • show
Once all of the above steps are done, you should continue tulpa-forcing, spending as much time as you can handle hammering the senses into your head. You should be doing this about one to three hours daily until you are completely done with your tulpa.

Spoiler: Sentience, Narration, and Voice • show
At some time during the above steps, you may have noticed your tulpa doing something on its own, or that you got an emotional response from him/her. These are signs of sentience! However, you should not expect this to occur quickly. This usually takes fifty hours into the process before an emotional response is elicited, and even for masters of tulpa-forcing it takes at least twenty to achieve sentience.

Go on about your life, talking to your tulpa about your life or what you are doing. Virtually anything can be talked about. A common mistake here is parroting responses, as briefly hinted at earlier. An example of this would be if you are telling your tulpa how beautiful your new shoes are, do not force them to say anything back. It will take some time before a response is given, but patience is key. If you rush this step, you are likely to end up with a servitor tulpa (one without consciousness) or a hologram which is effectively a mannequin.

The voice of the tulpa will start out fairly generic, akin to that of a GPS system or programmed voice. It will become more normal and distinct as time goes along, but if you have some idea as to what you want your tulpa's voice to be, apply it by imagining your tulpa saying random words in said voice. This is a factor of the tulpa that you have little to no control over, and it will basically become what it becomes.

Tulpae will often deviate and change during the creation process, commonly changing around the earlier stages as they match up with your subconscious ideal. This often will differ from what you consciously want, and when they display sentience, they may change themselves further. Do not attempt to reverse said changes, as you would be forcing the tulpa to adopt an identity it does not want. Embrace the changes!

Spoiler: Opening Your Mind • show
At this point, the following should be true:
Your tulpa talks in complete sentences.
Your tulpa has its own opinions.
Your tulpa does things you do not expect or control.

Sit down and tell your tulpa you are opening your mind to it. Imagine it walking through a door or something similar to that nature. Your tulpa should be able to "see" your subconscious; it will know your memories, how you feel, and anything else it would need to know about you as a person. Do not do this straight away, as for the tulpa may take it for granted. Wait until trust is built and treat this as a "reward" to the tulpa so it is more meaningful.

Spoiler: Imposition • show
Say you are walking down the street. Imagine your tulpa is just behind you, walking with you. Make sure to remember its gait, and do this at all times until it becomes natural. Try smelling your tulpa out and feeling its presence. This stage is rather difficult to master.

Once you have done that, start to impose the tulpa into your peripheral vision. It should never been fully seen, and only bits and pieces should show. Start to smell it, have it brush up against your arm or something, anything to force it upon your senses all the time. Soon enough, you should be able to see it. This step takes time as well, and it is one you can not rush.

Finally, you can begin to see, hear, touch, and smell your tulpa fully, keeping it in full view. Seeing him/her enitrely is not as easy as seeing them in your peripheral vision, but assuming you have followed the steps above, it should not be too difficult. At this point, until you have it perfectly, you should still be sitting down and imagining your tulpa daily, talking and doing whatever you may be doing.

Spoiler: Conclusion • show
When your tulpa is first imposed, it may appear translucent, but this is something that will fade as you continue. Your tulpa will also become more mature and adjust itself to the world around it.

Additionally, whilst you are tulpa-forcing, feel free to mix up different aspects of tulpa-forcing as long as you have the prerequisites for each. For instance, you may choose to create a form for the tulpa right off, then focus on personality, or perhaps focus on touch, followed by smell and form. So long as you spend adequate time on each of these, you should be fine.

That is everything I can think of. Best of luck!
"Luck is how you explain an overly-variabled scenario that went in your favor." - Asterian Élire Starfall

Teal Turken

Great to hear Asterian!
Now we have to explain this to everyone who comes into this thread since they won't know what was going on.

Sea Foam

Quote from: Teal Turken on 2013 Oct 22, 10:27:45
As per request of the moderators, here is a topic where all can discuss tulpas freely.
If you've come to this topic not knowing what a tulpa is, here a website to help you out. http://www.tulpa.info/

At least now there's a structured place for tulpa discussion rather than the chat box.
As long as this doesn't run the risk of deletion, I'm glad this thread exists now.

Images of broken light which dance before me like a million eyes;
they call me on and on across the universe.
Thank you, Durpy, for the banner!

Asterian Starfall

If anypony has details/tips on tulpa creation or tulpa-forcing, feel free to post about it!
Of course, you can also share what you do with your tulpa, provided it is within forum rules. (Nothing vulgar, profane, etc.)

This topic will also act as something of a "proxy chat" for the tulpae. (What "proxying" is is you simply conveying what your tulpa is saying in speech or writing formats, such as typing out what he/she is saying to somepony else.)
"Luck is how you explain an overly-variabled scenario that went in your favor." - Asterian Élire Starfall

The Stars

2013 Oct 22, 16:38:18 #5 Last Edit: 2013 Oct 22, 16:51:17 by The Stars
Hm... I've went over the visualization step... I keep getting oddly mixed bag of results here when I close my eyes, random bits and pieces just starts getting replaced with my original visual. Kinda like I just threw my tulpa into a bag of candy and tried to pull her out, but got lots of random itty bits.

Strangely enough, when my eyes are open, I can see the visualization much better; my mind can think clearly.

I guess what I can say as a tip is just do what makes you feel most comfortable, I suppose. I've found it more pleasant to use my eyes as they're open... Just so I won't get random images of random people and characters o.o Some of which I don't even remember the name of :U.
Heads up!

// Thanks a lot Tiger! :D

Midnight Breeze

Let me say right here and now that tulpa creation is not to be looked at through rose-tinted glasses. Manipulating your own brain chemistry to create a second psyche is as dangerous as it sounds. As I've said before the nurse I work with had a daughter who died as a direct cause of her tulpa.

This is not something that should be done on a whim. It requires an enormous amount of dedication each and every day which can and will distract you from more immediate concerns.

Teal Turken

2013 Oct 22, 17:09:36 #7 Last Edit: 2013 Oct 22, 17:17:41 by Teal Turken
Quote from: Midnight Breeze on 2013 Oct 22, 16:55:47
Let me say right here and now that tulpa creation is not to be looked at through rose-tinted glasses. Manipulating your own brain chemistry to create a second psyche is as dangerous as it sounds. As I've said before the nurse I work with had a daughter who died as a direct cause of her tulpa.

This is not something that should be done on a whim. It requires an enormous amount of dedication each and every day which can and will distract you from more immediate concerns.

I understand the warning but wow, that was really dark. o_o

Post Merge

Now, excuse me just a moment, but I'm going to assume the girl had died simply because she was too young and her brain had not developed enough for it to be safe.
Just assuming that, now if it were something on the tulpa's part that resulted in her passing then that's different.

I would suggest you be at LEAST 15 or 16 years old before attempting to create a tulpa as it does take time and your brain by then is mostly developed and grown. I believe your brain finished development by the age of 20 or 21, giving you about 5-6 years to practice tulpas.

Midnight Breeze

She was 15 at the time. I can't say exactly how she died because it would violate a forum rule. Let's just say she allowed him too much control over her.

Asterian Starfall

2013 Oct 22, 19:39:11 #9 Last Edit: 2013 Oct 22, 19:48:33 by Asterian
Quote from: Midnight Breeze on 2013 Oct 22, 17:41:21
She was 15 at the time. I can't say exactly how she died because it would violate a forum rule. Let's just say she allowed him too much control over her.

This is where the highly controversial part of this subject comes into play.

Allow me to point this out: Tulpas can be permitted to take control over their creator's body; however, there are a few implications.

• The tulpa can only do this if it has achieved sentience. If the tulpa can not think for itself, it cannot think for you.

• The tulpa can only "possess" the creator's body if he/she is given explicit permission to do so. Control can be taken back at any time by the creator so as to prevent physical harm.

• The tulpa, in addition to displaying sentience, must also be able to be imposed upon the environment, meaning it can be sensed by touch, sight, smell, and hearing.

• You have been "tulpa-forcing," that is, you have been mentally creating/refining your tulpa's form, for a total of 100 < hours.

I myself have even "switched" with a tulpa, in which it controlled me and I controlled its form. Me and my tulpa were able to rapidly switch between one another and engage in conversations with the same exact people. A tulpa only ever has as much power as you allow it to have.

In addition, there have been no confirmed reports of tulpae killing their creators, but for good reason: the tulpa, by the time it reaches sentience (and could therefore do this manner of action), is aware that it is a construct within your mind. It knows that if it kills you, it dies as well. This is reason enough alone to prevent tulpae from causing physical harm to their creators and actually "protect" them. Furthermore, the supposed reports in which tulpae have "killed" their creators? Each one invariably tested positive for some form of hallucinogenic drug in their systems.

I am not trying to insult you or the memory of your friend's daughter, and you are right about one thing: You do not want to do this on a whim, and it does require a considerable amount of time and dedication to get the tulpa into existence, but when that is done, it can mostly be ignored, save for having to converse with it a little each day, which considering the effort you put into making this friend, should be pretty easy!

Tulpae are sentient, and I am not saying your friend's daughter did not die from the tulpa, but to be fair, you can not conclusively prove she did die from it.

You actually are not manipulating your brain chemistry; that would involve you taking some form of psychoactive compound. What you are doing is consciously creating a being that then lives off your subconscious, and scientific clause shows this is perfectly possible to do given the fact we can not control our subconscious. I myself can vouch that it is not dangerous, as I have had sentient tulpae for nearly three years. Not once have they tried to rebel against me, because tulpae are easily removed from the world by simply being ignored. They do not rebel simply because they know how fragile their existence is, and if you open your mind and heart to the tulpa and treat it as its own being, it will respect, love, and care about you, not because you want it to do so, but because they are grateful you brought them into being.

The whole subject of tulpae requires an open mind and it is not for everypony, but I myself and several other tulpa-mancers can agree that the whole thing was worth it.

Book Smarts

Okay guys, tulpas, are a sensitive topic based around spirituality, and the mods will be taking action to drop the subject. I was open at first, but upon further investigation, it's a topic that doesn't belong here

Questions/concerns, contact a moderator

Perry The Pony

Moving to retirement home.  No more of these topics.

Go Up