[Herd] Travellers Blessing.

Started by Travius Trott, 2012 Apr 27, 06:11:48

previous topic - next topic

I'm curious, so, how many of the different races are in this herd.

Unicorn
39 (31.5%)
Pegasus
53 (42.7%)
Earthpony.
25 (20.2%)
Not decided yet.
7 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 121

Go Down

Sotha

Quote from: ShadowHeart on 2012 Jun 12, 12:18:08
wouldn't it be cool to have an enemy herd? We have no reason to hate any herds at the moment but i think it would make rp more juicy!

What? Like highwaymen? Highwayponies? Those who seek to exploit travellers for their own personal gain? A Traveller's Bane?

I approve of Associates, as well as the proposed changes for absorbing Scouts into Guides, and recognising the traders and artisans. (I feel that artisan would give a better representation for the same reason as choosing Associate over Recruit. One would not necessarily want to be, for example, "a craftsman (usually itinerant) who mends pots, kettles, and other metal household utensils, esp. in a clumsy, bungling, or imperfect way" (oed.com). It just seems less directed than artisan.)
Though I'm sure this infrastructure of our herd will need to be reworked when the game is actually released, I suppose it is only for the best that we get things as ironed out as possible at each step of the way.
May you walk on warm sands.

Travius Trott

Quote from: Sotha on 2012 Jun 12, 12:37:54
Quote from: ShadowHeart on 2012 Jun 12, 12:18:08
wouldn't it be cool to have an enemy herd? We have no reason to hate any herds at the moment but i think it would make rp more juicy!

What? Like highwaymen? Highwayponies? Those who seek to exploit travellers for their own personal gain? A Traveller's Bane?

I approve of Associates, as well as the proposed changes for absorbing Scouts into Guides, and recognising the traders and artisans. (I feel that artisan would give a better representation for the same reason as choosing Associate over Recruit. One would not necessarily want to be, for example, "a craftsman (usually itinerant) who mends pots, kettles, and other metal household utensils, esp. in a clumsy, bungling, or imperfect way" (oed.com). It just seems less directed than artisan.)
Though I'm sure this infrastructure of our herd will need to be reworked when the game is actually released, I suppose it is only for the best that we get things as ironed out as possible at each step of the way.

Well, for an enemy herd, I would never, on purpose, provoke, annoy, or otherwise do something to spark a rivalry, but it might happen if a group appears that have conflicting interests, exploit, and is a general nuisance to travellers.
And in such case, it will likely start with a polite confrontation, which may or may not solve the differences. It's the last resort to end in a negative view from another group, even if this group prove to be one of the most powerful ingame.

And, I'm glad to see other opinions on the subject of artisans or tinkers, it's true that the former sounds more refined, but the latter is likely more correct in this context, as I mentioned before, tinkers are those with a profession in the crafts, but have no single place to stay.

Also, I'll start working on the new banners then, with associate, trader, and artisan/tinker, the last one I will make one for both and will put up a poll for it.

Quite true, I might have to rewrite all of the titles, and they are after all, purely symbolic as of yet. Likely I will work these out as symbolic 'ranks' within the herd or something like that.

Oh, it would appear that I got some fancy title, Notable pony, now that's something that I had not expected to gain.
Thanks everypony, for this most brilliant thing.

The Wandering Magus

The original intent was simply to let others in and out of the herd know what your intended specialization is, not make ranks x3. Aside from trailmaster, of course.
(sorry Bakasan, chose this image)
Descriptions and art of my OCs here: http://legendsofequestria.com/forum/index.php?topic=2636
my art: http://legendsofequestria.com/forum/index.php?topic=298
visiting soldier sister, be back 8/12/2013

Travius Trott

Quote from: The Wandering Magus on 2012 Jun 12, 15:19:57
The original intent was simply to let others in and out of the herd know what your intended specialization is, not make ranks x3. Aside from trailmaster, of course.

Indeed, quite true, and that's also how I caught it.
But games with 'guilds' tend to have 'ranks' where on is given more privileges when having said 'rank'.
So, I presume that LoE will also have a herd system alike to that, and so that when in game the pony is marked with a symbolic rank, that does not affect anything, save for being a marker.
All this will depend on how it will be in LoE though.

Oh, it would appear that I got some fancy title, Notable pony, now that's something that I had not expected to gain.

The Wandering Magus

Quote from: Travius Trott on 2012 Jun 12, 15:28:53
Quote from: The Wandering Magus on 2012 Jun 12, 15:19:57

Indeed, quite true, and that's also how I caught it.
But games with 'guilds' tend to have 'ranks' where on is given more privileges when having said 'rank'.
So, I presume that LoE will also have a herd system alike to that, and so that when in game the pony is marked with a symbolic rank, that does not affect anything, save for being a marker.
All this will depend on how it will be in LoE though.
hopefully ranks will be customizable x3
Descriptions and art of my OCs here: http://legendsofequestria.com/forum/index.php?topic=2636

Travius Trott

Quote from: The Wandering Magus on 2012 Jun 12, 15:40:26
-quote snip-

I concur.
I also kinda hope that there will be titles to add beside your name as suffixes or prefixes.

The Wandering Magus

Quote from: Travius Trott on 2012 Jun 12, 15:44:02
Quote from: The Wandering Magus on 2012 Jun 12, 15:40:26
-quote snip-

I concur.
I also kinda hope that there will be titles to add beside your name as suffixes or prefixes.
if customizable ranks are implemented, as prefixes or suffixes, do you think the titles made would be one or the other?

Feather Scroll, Bard
Vs
Bard Feather Scroll

Travius Trott

Quote from: The Wandering Magus on 2012 Jun 12, 15:46:12
-quote-snip-

if customizable ranks are implemented, as prefixes or suffixes, do you think the titles made would be one or the other?

Feather Scroll, Bard
Vs
Bard Feather Scroll

Umm, now that I think about it, it's rather unlikely that LoE will include 'rank' names that can be changed and are visible to public, of the same reason one can not draw a CM for their own character, it might be used to be offensive, so, scratch the thought of naming the ranks for an in game effect.
Pardon that I did not think that one trough prober.

Though, there might be 'unlockable' titles, as suffixes and prefixes.
As for your question, I have no idea, I think it might be applied to the title itself, with a tag that says 'suffix' or 'prefix'.

lurk852

Quote from: Travius Trott on 2012 Jun 12, 15:52:54
Quote from: The Wandering Magus on 2012 Jun 12, 15:46:12
-quote-snip-

Feather Scroll, Bard
Vs
Bard Feather Scroll

Umm, now that I think about it, it's rather unlikely that LoE will include 'rank' names that can be changed and are visible to public, of the same reason one can not draw a CM for their own character, it might be used to be offensive, so, scratch the thought of naming the ranks for an in game effect.
Pardon that I did not think that one trough prober.

Though, there might be 'unlockable' titles, as suffixes and prefixes.
As for your question, I have no idea, I think it might be applied to the title itself, with a tag that says 'suffix' or 'prefix'.

This. I imagine titles might vary (suffix or prefix) depending on the nature of each.

Can't wait for my (newly apostrophe-bearing) banner :3
"The passions are, and ought only to be the slave of reason." - David Hume

Sea Foam

Jeez, I don't check a thread for a few days and I miss all this! :I
The banners look great and I love the idea of titles as well.

If I could just suggest a more specific title/banner for an alchemist. If I remember back to the 24 hour live stream, there were a ton of alchemy symbol cutie marks, so I can see it being a large part of the game. With the possibility of potion making, I'd say it's a profession that deserves its own banner.
That, and my OC is an alchemist...  ovO

Images of broken light which dance before me like a million eyes;
they call me on and on across the universe.
Thank you, Durpy, for the banner!

Travius Trott

Quote from: Sea Foam on 2012 Jun 12, 16:41:10

If I could just suggest a more specific title/banner for an alchemist. If I remember back to the 24 hour live stream, there were a ton of alchemy symbol cutie marks, so I can see it being a large part of the game. With the possibility of potion making, I'd say it's a profession that deserves its own banner.

Well, for now I'd think they are part of the 'artisan' grouping, at least for now, if others voice a want for a title specificially for alchemists, then I shall put it to a vote.

The Wandering Magus

Rather sad we can't trust players to be responsible and mature about things like titles  :\

lurk852

Quote from: The Wandering Magus on 2012 Jun 12, 17:37:23
Rather sad we can't trust players to be responsible and mature about things like titles  :\

Every game will inevitably have trolls to be dealt with. I imagine most of the community will be fine.

The Wandering Magus

What they need is a three-strike system that can be decreased as much as is deemed necessary by mods.  And ACTIVE mods, that IP-ban rather than simply character-ban.  Permanent bans, mind you.

Sea Foam

Quote from: Travius Trott on 2012 Jun 12, 17:06:33
Quote from: Sea Foam on 2012 Jun 12, 16:41:10

Well, for now I'd think they are part of the 'artisan' grouping, at least for now, if others voice a want for a title specificially for alchemists, then I shall put it to a vote.

Then I shall slide myself into that group, for the time being, until an alchemist group is considered.
Which I'm hoping it will be considered.  x3

Ezio Auditore da Firenze

Hmm, I was just thinking of something. Shouldn't this herd have some sort of HQ?

For instance, an Inn in Ponyville (or somewhere else!) would be a good place. We could then organize Traveller's meetings, organize tours/missions from there and just roleplay.
[move][le templar here]          [/move]

The Wandering Magus

Quote from: Ezio Auditore da Firenze on 2012 Jun 12, 19:09:09
Hmm, I was just thinking of something. Shouldn't this herd have some sort of HQ?

For instance, an Inn in Ponyville (or somewhere else!) would be a good place. We could then organize Traveller's meetings, organize tours/missions from there and just roleplay.
we should choose a place as soon as the game starts.  Maybe someplace in Everfree?  Or should it be in a particular town?

lurk852

An inn sounds like a good idea - a safe waypoint for travelers seems like a good place for this.

Sea Foam

It's a good thing to think about now, but at this point it's hard to determine a location, seeing as we know so little about the game.
   We know of Ponyville, Everfree forest, Canterlot, and Cloudsdale so far, unless I missed someplace, and I think we can cross out Cloudsdale for obvious reasons.

It's a good thing to have in mind now, but presently it won't do much good as we really don't know much about the locations.

The Wandering Magus

Was wondering if tracker and guide should be merged.  Wouldn't be too good a tracker if the tracker got lost x3

Go Up