Bad news.

Started by Zaner-Boy, 2012 Oct 01, 05:34:42

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Zaner-Boy

My computer decided this morning that it no longer wants to boot up when I turn it on. I have no idea how long it'll be broken, but it might be awhile, and I won't be back until then. I'm sending this out on my sisters laptop. Well, see you all whenever, I guess...

Book Smarts

Try to press which ever f1-12 button your computer requires to enter the internal options and see if there's a repair button. If that doesn't work, try inserting a Windows cd into your computer, and see if you can wipe and reinstall the OS.
(I'm intermediate with computers, not an expert, this could be completely wrong)

Zaner-Boy

Theres no button whatsoever, it just blackscreens. Also, I'll be on this old craptastic computer until this gets sorted out.

And thank you, Book Smarts, for being apparently the only person on this forum to actually care about this.

Zygrograxgra

I saw this during the morning, didn't have time to reply.
I care about you, hope you get this fixed soon.

Titanium Mushrooms
Are you happy yet?!

Chishio Kunrin

It's really weird that that happened to you. You don't think it could be from a virus, do you? :I

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

Zaner-Boy

I think I'm just unlucky, as these kinda crashes can randomly happen. Also, since I forgot to back up my files, I'm gonna lose all of my Minecraft worlds, my Minecraft skins, my desktop backgrounds, my schoolwork, my mods, my games, and everything else. I swear, life hates me...

Rissian

2012 Oct 01, 17:19:47 #6 Last Edit: 2012 Oct 01, 17:22:04 by Trege
There's a way to backup your files still, if it's a desktop PC it will be really easy to if you know how to take the HDD out.

But the screen doesn't work at all, no text or anything when you turn it on?

I also know of a data recovery program if you need to get your files back once your OS is formatted, but you can't use the OS if it is formatted until you get the files back or the data will be overwritten or corrupted.

AAA13

Quote from: Zaner-Boy on 2012 Oct 01, 16:47:16
I think I'm just unlucky, as these kinda crashes can randomly happen. Also, since I forgot to back up my files, I'm gonna lose all of my Minecraft worlds, my Minecraft skins, my desktop backgrounds, my schoolwork, my mods, my games, and everything else. I swear, life hates me...
Im trying to think of something to say that will cheer you up a bit but nothing comes to mind.
Sorry.
[move][/move]
forum.legendsofequestria.com/index.php?topic=5700.0
Thanks to Bravo539 for the avatar!

Zaner-Boy

Quote from: Trege on 2012 Oct 01, 17:19:47
There's a way to backup your files still, if it's a desktop PC it will be really easy to if you know how to take the HDD out.

But the screen doesn't work at all, no text or anything when you turn it on?

I also know of a data recovery program if you need to get your files back once your OS is formatted, but you can't use the OS if it is formatted until you get the files back or the data will be overwritten or corrupted.

I have no idea how to do that, and I don't care enough to, either. If I really want to get a certain skin or picture back, I have a lot of them posted about this forum. Also, there's no text, but there's a little flashing white line as if text is supposed to be typed. No, typing doesn't work. I tried.

Rissian

That means your computer isn't dead at least it's still fixable, the fact that you see a white line on the screen.

What brand is your PC?

Zaner-Boy

It's a Dell, I think. That's what the startup screen says, anyway. By the way, when I do turn it on, that startup screen with the progress bar does show up, but once the progress bar is full, it goes to that black screen. I did try hitting the F2 and F12 buttons to bring up the menus and junk, but they both led to the black screen, too.

Rissian

2012 Oct 01, 17:32:42 #11 Last Edit: 2012 Oct 01, 17:35:30 by Trege
Ugh, Dells I've had to help my cousins and aunt fix a lot of those. They seem to go bad way too often. Anyways do you know your PC's full name? Like what type of Dell is it? It should say somewhere on the tower. Dell has instructions for each model they have. and it sounds like a boot issue which can be fixed if you're willing to try and fix it with instructions.

(That's assuming nothing else in the PC is causing the problem, it could be a dying HDD or messed up bios settings.)

Zaner-Boy

I'd love to try, but since this is a used laptop, I have no paperwork or instructions or anything. Anyways, on the back it says Dell Windows XP Professional. I might be looking in the wrong place, so let me know where I need to look if that's not what your looking for.

Rissian

2012 Oct 01, 17:37:44 #13 Last Edit: 2012 Oct 01, 17:41:09 by Trege
Ok if it's a laptop the model number may be on the tag that's on the bottom of it. Knowing the model number will help in fixing it.

An example of the model number is something like this.

Zaner-Boy

Alright, I found it. It's a Latitude D620.

Rissian

Ok because of how fast some computers want to start you have to keep pressing the F2 key multiple times after turning on the power button it should enter the bios. If we can get it to enter the bios we can reset the bios to see if it's the HDD that's the problem or if the bios isn't using the correct boot device for one reason or another. or diagnose what the actual problem is.

The fact that it shows a white line means the PC itself is still alive but something isn't booting correctly or a part is not working correctly hopefully it's a boot related issue.

LaptopCommandStation

I'd be more of a help if it wasn't a laptop, as i'd say to try installing windows on another drive and switch your drive that has your stuff on it to a slave.  That'll tell ya if your HDD is gone(I had to do this once) and that way you wouldn't have to reinstall windows and risk formatting your data.

But don't listen to me, Trege seems to know what he's talking about, i'm pretending I know what i'm talking about  X3

I've lost years of programming and animating work cause of a drive crash.  I know how ya feel, hope it works out for ya.

Zaner-Boy

Quote from: Trege on 2012 Oct 01, 17:54:03
Ok because of how fast some computers want to start you have to keep pressing the F2 key multiple times after turning on the power button it should enter the bios. If we can get it to enter the bios we can reset the bios to see if it's the HDD that's the problem or if the bios isn't using the correct boot device for one reason or another. or diagnose what the actual problem is.

The fact that it shows a white line means the PC itself is still alive but something isn't booting correctly or a part is not working correctly hopefully it's a boot related issue.

Alright, I did that and it brought me to a blue screen with a lot of text, and the left side has a lot of things like System Info and Memory Info that I can check out. What next?

Rissian

2012 Oct 01, 17:58:17 #18 Last Edit: 2012 Oct 01, 18:01:21 by Trege
Ok we got in the bios that's a good sign is it possible at all for you to take a picture of the screen with a camera or something and upload it? If not I'll have to figure out the type of bios you have through questions.

Zaner-Boy

Go Up