The Silverdale Saga (No Jump-in Please)

Started by Morning Glory, 2012 Jun 19, 15:49:38

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

The Wandering Magus

2012 Jun 20, 11:35:24 #40 Last Edit: 2012 Jun 21, 02:40:41 by The Wandering Magus
Quote from: Chautauquan on 2012 Jun 20, 03:03:50
"Sorry to startle you," Dusty began, "but I couldn't help but assume you must be a scholar of some sort."  He pointed to the cutie mark, and then to his own.  "Well, it's not quite the same, but I try to do something of that myself, and well..."  He trailed off.  Canterlot certainly had its distinctive lilt, but scholars often tend to know more about their field of study, right?  "Y'see, I'm rather new here, but I collect, well, I collect stories.  Histories, mostly.  Trying to get an idea of where this place came from, and, well, you seem like somepony who knows a thing or two, and, well, I was hoping I might get a chance just to hear some stories, learn something about the town."  He smiled, rather sheepishly at this point, for having disturbed the poor unicorn in the midst of his errand.  "But I don't want to be a bother, really."
"o-oh no, it's not a bother...but, um, i'm actually not really the best pony to ask about the town's history..." replied the scholar sheepishly.  "[Size=8pt]the others here probably know a lot more than i ever could, since i only got here seven years ago.[/size]"

Apparently it had taken that long, if not longer, to even BEGIN gaining the trust of the townsfolk here, and was still uncertain of whether he had the right to talk and act like a townspony rather than an outsider.  Regardless, his conservative and humble answer was evidently pleasing to those within earshot, who smiled a bit at the familiar shy pony's choice of words.
(sorry Bakasan, chose this image)
Descriptions and art of my OCs here: http://legendsofequestria.com/forum/index.php?topic=2636
my art: http://legendsofequestria.com/forum/index.php?topic=298
visiting soldier sister, be back 8/12/2013

Chautauquan

2012 Jun 20, 12:20:44 #41 Last Edit: 2012 Jun 21, 03:37:15 by Chautauquan
Dusty stepped back a bit.  "Ah, I see.  Well, if I may ask, what's the mark for?  Mine apparently has summat to do with history, and well, seeing yours, I thought maybe it was something of the same."  He motioned to the rolled scroll on his own flank, before pointing out the unicorn's.  "I know it's a bit sudden and all, but you get pretty lonely out wandering the countryside, and I was especially excited to hear some of the learned world.  You know, something to really think about."  He smiled, "Books are boon companions, but you begin to worry when you start arguing with them and nopony's around to comment on it."  Humor was a part of his demeanor, a way to disarm and hopefully endear himself.  However, it didn't always produce the desired effects.

"I often wish that the two groups - adults and kids - could find a way to get along better. ... The biggest problem is, the adults have one of the most effective recruitment strategies in the world.

Give them enough time, and they'll turn any kid into one of them."
-Brandon Sanderson

The Wandering Magus

2012 Jun 20, 12:34:52 #42 Last Edit: 2012 Jun 21, 03:47:54 by The Wandering Magus
Quote from: Chautauquan on 2012 Jun 20, 12:20:44
Dusty stepped back a bit.  "Ah, I see.  Well, if I may ask, what's the mark for?  Mine apparently has summat to do with history, and well, seeing yours, I thought maybe it was something of the same."  He motioned to the rolled scroll on his own flank, before pointing out the unicorn's.  "I know it's a bit sudden and all, but you get pretty lonely out wandering the countryside, and I was especially excited to hear some of the learned world.  You know, something to really think about."  He smiled, "Books are boon companions, but you begin to worry when you start arguing with them and nopony's around to comment on it."  Humor was a part of his demeanor, a way to disarm and hopefully endear himself.  However, it didn't always produce the desired effects.

The pony smiled and listened intently as Dusty talked, meekly letting others go in front of him in line.  It was probably an odd sight, seeing the shy pony speaking with an outsider, but those that could hear probably sympathized with Feather's inability to escape the situation in a polite manner.

As it seemed the excited outsider finished his little speech, the scholar blushed a bit in his response to the question.  "[Size=8pt]w-well, um, it's really not much to talk about...my talent is in combining different types of magic, such as griffon and earth pony magic, in networks to create a chain reaction for producing a desired affect.  Nothing flashy or too important, i'm afraid...[/size]"

The qualifiers he used to diminish the importance of his research seemed to be a layer added on almost naturally out of politeness, despite how revolutionary such research probably was.
Descriptions and art of my OCs here: http://legendsofequestria.com/forum/index.php?topic=2636

Chautauquan

2012 Jun 20, 12:56:42 #43 Last Edit: 2012 Jun 21, 11:50:45 by Chautauquan
Dusty's eyes widened.  "Magic?  You don't say!  Why, that seems like something ol' Sparky Specs would do, doesn't it?"  He chuckled simply, hoping that his reference would come on as kind, but not overtly flattering.  "Smarter than anything I'd take care of, at least."  He finally began to take notice of the crowd getting past the unicorn in line, and began to doubt the kindness of his own endeavors.  "I'm so sorry, you've got some sort of errand to run, don't you?"  He paused for a moment, before adding, "Please, you take care of what you need to, but I'd just love to get to talking once you've taken care of things, if I might.  You sound like you've got some great stories in that noggin of yours!"  The penchant for storytelling and learning stories propelled the interest in history, especially when dealing with today's problems.

((Hopefully the vague history references won't be a bother.  I'll make a list as I come up with them... they're kinda vague on history in the show, so I'm just ripping off real history when I can.))
"I often wish that the two groups - adults and kids - could find a way to get along better. ... The biggest problem is, the adults have one of the most effective recruitment strategies in the world.

-Brandon Sanderson

Chautauquan

GM:

Tinkertoy turned to the little filly, reminded of an errand he needed to run.  "Oh, Ribbons!  Could you be a dear and tell Garnet I'll be dropping by with some family later?  I've been meaning to tell her to save some rooms, but haven't quite gotten myself over there.  If you do, I'll throw in another two sparklers a piece for your trouble!"  He beamed, although was in reality a bit concerned how his family might be regarded, being new to the community for the day.

-Brandon Sanderson

Coffee Rush

2012 Jun 20, 14:29:45 #45 Last Edit: 2012 Jun 20, 15:24:38 by Coffee Rush
[glow=green,2,300]"Sure!"[/glow] Ribbons said as she set the sparkler down, and walked to the door. She knew that Garnet ran the inn, and she knew where the inn was, and she dashed out into the streets, galloping along.
Shortly after, she arrives at the inn, panting. The filly cleared her throat, and opened her mouth, hesitating to talk. [glow=green,2,300]"Miss Garnet, Uh.. Huh... Mister Tinkertoy is coming with some of his family..."[/glow] She said quickly, panting some more. [glow=green,2,300]"He said he needed to reserve a few rooms..."[/glow]
My OC can be found here!

Morning Glory

GM:

Garnet gave an inaudible sigh of relief has the abrasive mare and the solemn stallion headed upstairs. She made a mental note to warn her maidstaff about these unusual visitors, then turned to Right Hoof. "Er, yes. Dinner is at se-"

She was cut off as a small filly ran in, calling for her. "What's that? Tinker's relatives...Hmm, some of them may have to share a room, but I think I can fit them in." She smiled at the young pony and fished in her apron pocket. Pulling out a gold coin, she offered it to the filly. "Here you go. Thank you for telling me. Buy yourself a treat"

Turning back to Right Hoof, she blinked, then looked down at the sheet in front of her. "Oh yes. Dinner is at seven. I guess you can come to the front desk here and I'll have his meal ready for you. Carrot soup and blueberry muffins is ok?" 

Morning Glory

Coppershine nodded to Juniper. She liked work, and would not want to spend day after day with other ponies, but it was nice for once unwind. "Us miners like to keep busy. Lots to do. And if we don't work the mine everyday, the minerals have a tendency to dwindle." It was true. Earth pony magic encouraged the veins of ore to grow and expand.

She shuffled her front hooves, working to find something to talk about. Finally she landed on Juniper's.....husband? Coltfriend? She realized she didn't know. She was unsure how she felt about an earth pony marrying a unicorn. It wasn't typical for the town. But then, Feather seemed nice enough.

"So, you and Feather are married? I didn't realize. How exactly did you meet?"

Coffee Rush

Ribbons took the coin, and smiled, overjoyed from the fact that she could get something to munch on.
[glow=green,2,300]"Thank you, Miss Garnet!"[/glow] The filly said as she galloped back out the door with the coin. Soon after, she was in the toy store, looking around.
My OC can be found here!

GalvinRoe

Quote from: Morning Glory on 2012 Jun 20, 20:07:10
GM:

Garnet gave an inaudible sigh of relief has the abrasive mare and the solemn stallion headed upstairs. She made a mental note to warn her maidstaff about these unusual visitors, then turned to Right Hoof. "Er, yes. Dinner is at se-"

She was cut off as a small filly ran in, calling for her. "What's that? Tinker's relatives...Hmm, some of them may have to share a room, but I think I can fit them in." She smiled at the young pony and fished in her apron pocket. Pulling out a gold coin, she offered it to the filly. "Here you go. Thank you for telling me. Buy yourself a treat"

Turning back to Right Hoof, she blinked, then looked down at the sheet in front of her. "Oh yes. Dinner is at seven. I guess you can come to the front desk here and I'll have his meal ready for you. Carrot soup and blueberry muffins is ok?" 

The brown unicorn stallion shifted, awkwardly as the little filly ran in the room. He was as silent aa midnight while the little pony talked and even remained quiet a litter after Garnet's response, to make sure no message had been neglected.

But he made his response soon enough:

Oh that will be more then all-right! You could give us watered grits and we wouldn't complain at the moment! That sounds excellent, I might need to stick around for dinner then, actually. But what I'm concerned with is this hosting problem of yours, will there be enough room for every-pony? Should we relocate to the large suite?

Right Hooff looked at Garnet with sorrowful eyes.

The Wandering Magus

Quote from: Chautauquan on 2012 Jun 20, 12:56:42
Dusty's eyes widened.  "Magic?  You don't say!  Why, that seems like something ol' Benjamin Friesian would do, doesn't it?"  He chuckled simply, hoping that his reference would come on as kind, but not overtly flattering.  "Smarter than anything I'd take care of, at least."  He finally began to take notice of the crowd getting past the unicorn in line, and began to doubt the kindness of his own endeavors.  "I'm so sorry, you've got some sort of errand to run, don't you?"  He paused for a moment, before adding, "Please, you take care of what you need to, but I'd just love to get to talking once you've taken care of things, if I might.  You sound like you've got some great stories in that noggin of yours!"  The penchant for storytelling and learning stories propelled the interest in history, especially when dealing with today's problems.

((Hopefully the vague history references won't be a bother.  I'll make a list as I come up with them... they're kinda vague on history in the show, so I'm just ripping off real history when I can.))

The unicorn blushed a bit as he eased his way to the back of the line again.  Afyer waiting for his turn, he finally was able to walk up to the counter.

Dropping the bits on the table, he smiled shyly at the salespony.  "[Size=8pt]s-sorry to be a bother, Ms. ((?)) Peppershake, but Juniper wanted a few scones... I hope it's not too much trouble...[/size]" he said quietly.

He didn't try to talk with Dusty and the salespony at the same time, knowing it was disrespectful to both parties and not wanting to upset the fragile trust he had built up here.

Chautauquan

GM:

Peppershake chuckled softly.  "Of course, dearie."  The unicorn had concerned some in town at first, especially with his strange "experimental" magic, but now, Feather Scroll was seen as mostly quiet and busied about his own business, allowing him to integrate more easily than most.  "You be sure to tell your wife that I'll be in for a new mixing bowl soon.  Won't do for me to get splinters in the cupcakes now, would it?"

-Brandon Sanderson

The Wandering Magus

Quote from: Chautauquan on 2012 Jun 21, 11:54:25
GM:

Peppershake chuckled softly.  "Of course, dearie."  The unicorn had concerned some in town at first, especially with his strange "experimental" magic, but now, Feather Scroll was seen as mostly quiet and busied about his own business, allowing him to integrate more easily than most.  "You be sure to tell your wife that I'll be in for a new mixing bowl soon.  Won't do for me to get splinters in the cupcakes now, would it?"

The scholar smiled softly, saying, "t-thank you very much, and i'll be sure to let her know!"

Scones acquired, he began to return to his wife's shop, nodding shyly at familiar faces as he made his way through the crowd again.  He was uncertain of how he would find the excited pony who had tried talking with him, but decided that in this town, at least, he would probably have no trouble locating an outsider.

It took a few minutes to return to the shop, and as he approached he blushed.

"[Size=8pt]s-sorry for taking so long, there was a new pony that was trying to talk to me...[/size]" he explained, head hanging a bit in shame.

Morning Glory

GM:

Garnet did her best to smile at Right Hoof. He at least seemed polite and considerate. Garnet was the kind of pony that kindness would go far with. "The Trot On Inn never leaves a pony wanting for comfort. My cook Sweetspice is the greatest when it comes to food that will fill you up!" She shuffled her hooves through a folder behind the desk, counting under her breath. "I think we can squeeze Tinker's folks in. Besides, it seems you could all use some...er...time away from each other." She gave a sidelong glance at the stairway Bright Mane and Strokes had left through.

Looking back to Right Hoof she let a grin tug at the corner of her mouth. "The festival is well underway if you wish to explore. I'm not sure what you like, but there's music down by the town hall, and there's nothing tastier than Pink Lady's caramel apples. My brother Quartz has lots of great stonework if you're looking for a souvenir."

Morning Glory

GM:

The clock tower at the top of the town hall chimed once. It was one o' clock. A voice came over the loudspeakers arranged down the market street. "Friends and neighbors! The games will begin shortly! If everypony would gather at Town Hall the fun will begin!" The voice was booming and deep. Mayor Ironhoof was typically serious and stony. But the day of the Summer Sun Celebration always made him jolly and amiable. He loved to celebrate his community and their great prosperity each year.

- - - - - -

Tinkertoy looked up from helping a young colt choose a plush toy as he heard the clock. "It's time kids! Ready for fun? Run along now!" His horn sparkled and a cart rolled out from the back room. It was loaded with streamers, flags, noisemakers and of course, more of his signature sparklers. He would hand out goodies for all the ponies watching the games, helping them cheer on their friends and family.

Coffee Rush

The foals began to flood out, paying whatever had to be payed.
Most of them made their way to the town hall, seeming joyful, and energetic for the big day.
My OC can be found here!

Chautauquan

Dusty muttered to himself.  He felt bad, having gotten distracted, but somehow the unicorn had slipped off.  "I probably offended him, consarn it."  The announcement which resounded throughout the town caused him to lift his head up, and he began trotting over to the square.  After all, if everypony was gathering in the square, then he could at least apologize for his behavior.  The noise and bustle of the crowd were a bit oppressive at first, but Dusty nestled himself in what could be described as a relatively quiet corner, and began scanning the crowd, listening to the speaker, but all the while trying to find the unicorn to whom he owed an apology.

-Brandon Sanderson

The Wandering Magus

"Time to pack up, Feather," smiled Juniper as she heard the announcement.  "And don't worry, you came back right on time!"

The unicorn blushed and helped her carefully put all the items safely away, then walked with her to the festival.

He waved shyly at all the familiar ponies of the town as he went through the crowds, and his wife did the same.  There was the blacksmith, who needed a few new handles last week, the farmer whose fence needed fixing, the teacher whose roof needed repairs... Everypony had some need or another for Juniper's expertise at some point in the last few years.

Remembering this, he looked down at the floor, a bit sad that he himself didn't really have much use here besides helping his wife.

GalvinRoe

2012 Jun 23, 06:49:57 #58 Last Edit: 2012 Jun 23, 07:02:33 by GalvinRoe
Quote from: Morning Glory on 2012 Jun 22, 19:49:06
GM:

Garnet did her best to smile at Right Hoof. He at least seemed polite and considerate. Garnet was the kind of pony that kindness would go far with. "The Trot On Inn never leaves a pony wanting for comfort. My cook Sweetspice is the greatest when it comes to food that will fill you up!" She shuffled her hooves through a folder behind the desk, counting under her breath. "I think we can squeeze Tinker's folks in. Besides, it seems you could all use some...er...time away from each other." She gave a sidelong glance at the stairway Bright Mane and Strokes had left through.

Looking back to Right Hoof she let a grin tug at the corner of her mouth. "The festival is well underway if you wish to explore. I'm not sure what you like, but there's music down by the town hall, and there's nothing tastier than Pink Lady's caramel apples. My brother Quartz has lots of great stonework if you're looking for a souvenir."

Right Hoof's mouth turned upwards, forming a small shy smile, turning slightly to see that the other two ponies had left, he took a moment to chat with Garnet.

To be truthful, it will be nice to be rid of Bright Mane for a time. Her cynicism has a way of reaching into your soul and chilling you after-a-while. I don't know how Strokes deals with it . . .

He stops and looks down.

But of course you don't need to hear about my life . . . I, I would like to ask if you could suggest something you might find of interest. In truth, well, I mean . . .  I don't really have many likes I can call my own. Being around two highly oppinonated people all the time generally encourages oppinions in others, I suppose . . . so Strokes always says . . . But I have to appreciate and *agree* in some sense with his oppinions . . . as he relies on me to record and sometimes proof-read his ideas.

Hoof looked with embaressment at his hooves.

I'm saying I don't think I'll know where to begin . . . There are so many choices and I haven't been . . . alone to peruse them . . . myself in such a long time.

He looked up at Garnet, shy and hopefully. Quite a sight, a large brown unicorn stallion looking like a lost kid.

So, is there anything you would suggest that is . . . ah, particularly exciting?

Morning Glory

2012 Jun 23, 22:09:01 #59 Last Edit: 2012 Jun 23, 22:35:44 by Morning Glory
GM:

The town hall was bedecked in large banners of red, yellow, white, and silver. The land behind it was ready for the games and competitions. There was one long track set up for races, and a ring for wrestling. There were tree stumps and boulders for carving competitions. There was a bucket of eggs for the egg toss, a pile of sacks for the sack race, and large rings of rope for the six-legged pony run.

Most famous and beloved of the games was the goat race. The farmers of Silverdale would pit their fastest goats against one another. Most ponies placed small bets, and the race could go on for several minutes (the participants were more interested in eating the streamers than running).

Fizzypop had a cart with popcorn, cotton candy and soda. All the ponies in town gathered to watch from the raised seats arranged near by. Everyone was welcome in the races and games. First up was the 100 meter dash for fillies and colts. Only foals under ten could participate.

-------

Garnet took off her apron and grabbed a heavy ring of keys.

"Well, you've got perfect timing. The games are about to start at Town Hall. They're awfully fun to watch. I'm heading there now. Come along and bet on a goat!" She guffawed and placed her keys in her saddlebags. "And don't worry. White Lace will be here to take care of the guests."

She then trotted out of the inn and down the street towards Town Hall.

Go Up