The Silverdale Saga (No Jump-in Please)

Started by Morning Glory, 2012 Jun 19, 15:49:38

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

GalvinRoe

The group had gotten into some kind of argument on their way to find the Inn and it seemed to be about the best way to get there.

LOOK, I'm just saying . . . if we had gone around the main street we would have gotten here FASTER! The main mob of ponies is focused on this road. . . She moved her hooves back and forth to symbolize a road . . . perpahs? . . . If we had passed into one of those back allies there wouldn't have been as much PUSHING!

You can't see the tent from some of those alleys . . . what if we had gotten lost.

Bright Mane wanted to stab herself in the eye. IT'S TO THE EAST. THE TENT WAS TO THE EAST! (Haha if you tell me it's in a different direction I'll fix this  lol!)

We're here. Strokes said laughing. Stop arguing or the ponies will think we're putting on an act.

Strokes looked around the tent, unable to spot the Inn-keeper he shouted

Hello? Can some-pony assist us?

Morning Glory

Coppershine scrutinized each spoon carefully. She liked the larger sizes best, and the ones with fancy carving on the handle were attractive. She picked up a few and held them in her hooves, examining them. Finally she settled on a large oak one with a simple but elegant vine pattern carved into the handle. She knew Juniper was a skilled carpenter, but she was impressed by the handiwork of the design. "This one is lovely. I like the pattern, and it seems strong enough. I used that old spoon for almost everything."

She set it down and pulled out her money purse. However, she saw the other things Juniper had presented and paused. The cutting board with a simple trim caught her eye. "How much for this one? I could use a new cutting board."

She liked the wooden mug set that seemed to have a motif of Princess Celestia's cutie mark carved on to them. They were pretty as well, but her moneybag wasn't that full. "Did I hear you say there was a special price for today. I'd love these mugs as well..."

Copper knew she probably shouldn't buy the mugs as well. But this was the Summer Sun Celebration, a time to enjoy community and be thankful for their good fortune and the return of warm weather. Perhaps she could squeeze them into her budget...

Morning Glory

2012 Jun 19, 18:31:51 #22 Last Edit: 2012 Jun 19, 22:40:31 by Morning Glory
GM:

Garnet shook her head and sat up. Snatching her tray and setting it on her back, she trotted over as she heard somepony call for service. She put on her best smile and straitened the apron tied around her front. "Hello! Welcome to the Trot On Inn! I'm Garnet, owner and operator here. What can I do for you?" These ponies were strangers, but she mostly did business with visitors to the town anyways. At least one of them was an earth pony. The unicorns, she was weary of, but it was poor business to be rude. "Do you need a room for the Celebration? I have a few small rooms open and one large suite if you prefer to stay together."

The Wandering Magus

Quote from: Morning Glory on 2012 Jun 19, 18:09:38
Coppershine scrutinized each spoon carefully. She liked the larger sizes best, and the ones with fancy carving on the handle were attractive. She picked up a few and held them in her hooves, examining them. Finally she settled on a large oak one with a simple but elegant vine pattern carved into the handle. She knew Juniper was a skilled carpenter, but she was impressed by the handiwork of the design. "This one is lovely. I like the pattern, and it seems strong enough. I used that old spoon for almost everything."

She set it down and pulled out her money purse. However, she saw the other things Juniper had presented and paused. The cutting board with a simple trim caught her eye. "How much for this one? I could use a new cutting board."

She liked the wooden mug set that seemed to have a motif of Princess Celestia's cutie mark carved on to them. They were pretty as well, but her moneybag wasn't that full. "Did I hear you say there was a special price for today. I'd love these mugs as well..."

Copper knew she probably shouldn't buy the mugs as well. But this was the Summer Sun Celebration, a time to enjoy community and be thankful for their good fortune and the return of warm weather. Perhaps she could squeeze them into her budget...
"Three bits for the spoon, and one for the cutting board," said the mare with a smile.  "Mugs are 15% off, one bit each for those."

((I have NO idea how the economy works here x3  I'll change it around if you have a better idea about the economy.))

She helpfully brought out a canvas bag with "one-stop woodworking shop!" written on the side of it, in case Coppershine wanted a little help carrying all the items.

"The bag's complimentary with the rest of the items," she said cheerfully.

Feather was busily writing out a receipt on a scroll with his quill.
(sorry Bakasan, chose this image)
Descriptions and art of my OCs here: http://legendsofequestria.com/forum/index.php?topic=2636
my art: http://legendsofequestria.com/forum/index.php?topic=298
visiting soldier sister, be back 8/12/2013

Morning Glory

((No problem Magus- those prices seem reasonable. We have no good idea how one bit compares to a dollar, or some other piece of currency, so that works fine. I made up the wares for sale, after all. As long as it's reasonable, anything you need to make up for the sake of your posts should be fine. If there's a problem with anything, I'll let you know, but I want to give players some freedom)

Copper chewed her lip, eyes looking over her choices. She was tempted. With the presentation of a bag she could easily re-purpose for groceries or other things, she nodded. "You talked me into it. That bag will be very useful too!" She reached into her purse and pulled out three bits for the spoon, another for the cutting board, and one more each for the set of four mugs. A total of eight.

Copper could be shy around strangers, but around her own people, she was friendly and polite.

"How have you been enjoying the celebration? Peppershake has those fantastic scones over at the Feed Bag. I just had some for lunch and I can highly recommend them."

She put her purse back in her bag and pulled out the loop of rope that could be clipped to the strap the held on her saddle bags. There she could attach the canvas bag to hang on her side, keeping her hooves free.

Coffee Rush

A younger colt ran along the street. "Hey! They're having a sale at the toyshop!"
All of the foals paused from their games, and turned to the colt.
[glow=red,2,300]"Cool! Come on, let's go!"[/glow] One said, beginning a trot to the toystore, much of the others following, and chatting.
My OC can be found here!

Morning Glory

GM:

Tinkertoy waved and blew bubbles from the doorway of his toyshop. He was a very short, middle-aged stallion that was cheery and welcoming to all children. He was nearly as playful as most of his customers too. Outside his shop window was two tables on either side of the door. There he displayed his wares: Pinwheels and yo-yos, foal-dolls and stuffed animals, puzzle-boxes and marbles, big rubber balls and marionettes, roller-skates and kazoos. Everything was half off, and every now and again he would pull out a box of one thing or another to give away. He had just finished handing out bubbles to the foals that had come by.

The Wandering Magus

Quote from: Morning Glory on 2012 Jun 19, 18:48:47
((No problem Magus- those prices seem reasonable. We have no good idea how one bit compares to a dollar, or some other piece of currency, so that works fine. I made up the wares for sale, after all. As long as it's reasonable, anything you need to make up for the sake of your posts should be fine. If there's a problem with anything, I'll let you know, but I want to give players some freedom)

Copper chewed her lip, eyes looking over her choices. She was tempted. With the presentation of a bag she could easily re-purpose for groceries or other things, she nodded. "You talked me into it. That bag will be very useful too!" She reached into her purse and pulled out three bits for the spoon, another for the cutting board, and one more each for the set of four mugs. A total of eight.

Copper could be shy around strangers, but around her own people, she was friendly and polite.

"How have you been enjoying the celebration? Peppershake has those fantastic scones over at the Feed Bag. I just had some for lunch and I can highly recommend them."

She put her purse back in her bag and pulled out the loop of rope that could be clipped to the strap the held on her saddle bags. There she could attach the canvas bag to hang on her side, keeping her hooves free.
"Thank you very much!" said Juniper as she collected the bits.  Feather gave Copper her receipt, written neatly and accurately.  Juniper smiled at the polite customer and neighbor.  "I've been enjoying it, after all it IS the anniversary of my first meeting with Feather."

She nuzzled him a bit.  "I hear the scones are wonderful, and I'm sorely tempted to go try some, but I have to mind the shop in case somepony comes by, " she said with some embarrassment.

"Have you been enjoying the celebration?" she asked politely.
Descriptions and art of my OCs here: http://legendsofequestria.com/forum/index.php?topic=2636

Coffee Rush

The foals ran in, and were amazed at the toys. They grabbed, and poked at toys, bouncing the bouncy balls, and blowing on the pinwheels. It looke like they were having a lot of fun.
[glow=green,2,300]"Cool! Look at this, Scratch!"[/glow] Ribbons said to a filly.
[glow=red,2,300]"I'm getting a pair of skates!"[/glow] A colt said.
A couple of fillies browsed the aisles, and some colts were searching like the rest of the foals were.
My OC can be found here!

Morning Glory

Coppershine accepted her receipt and placed it in the canvas bag alongside her purchases. Clipping the handles of the bag on to the loop of rope on her back, she let the bag hang beside her left saddle pack, smiling.

"You met at the Summer Sun Celebration? How sweet. Well, happy anniversary then." Copper moved away from the front of the table, so as not to block the way for other customers, and sat down to the side of the booth to chat.

"I don't like crowds very much, but I love to see Silverdale celebrating. We're all so busy most of the time, it's nice to see our friends and neighbors have fun. The scones are my favorite thing about the festival. With a little jam and butter, mmm...there's nothing better. Maybe you can send your sweetie here to go get some for you!" She chuckled. It was nice to talk to somepony casually for once. Copper was usually so busy working or spending time alone, she didn't socialize often.

Morning Glory

2012 Jun 19, 19:50:34 #30 Last Edit: 2012 Jun 19, 19:52:43 by Morning Glory
GM:

Tinkertoy beamed and snatched a stray rubber ball out of the air before it got too far and broke anything. His magic sparkled a sunny yellow. He was one of the few unicorns in town, but he was a well-established part of the community. Beloved and trusted by most, he was a jolly stallion that never seemed to lose his temper.

His horn shone as he cranked the handle on a large music box, and a jingling tune rang though his shop. Hearing the cry for skates, he turned, took one look at the colt's feet and a box floated off the shelf, with skates in the boy's size. "Three bits, special price today sonny. Got the coin?"

He looked to Ribbons and her friends. A cluster of sparklers floated over, each with a wide handle on a long stick for safety. They glittered gold and white and red as he lit them with magic. "A piece of the sun for you my dears! No charge! But, you must promise to be careful with them!"

The Wandering Magus

Quote from: Morning Glory on 2012 Jun 19, 19:39:51
Coppershine accepted her receipt and placed it in the canvas bag alongside her purchases. Clipping the handles of the bag on to the loop of rope on her back, she let the bag hang beside her left saddle pack, smiling.

"You met at the Summer Sun Celebration? How sweet. Well, happy anniversary then." Copper moved away from the front of the table, so as not to block the way for other customers, and sat down to the side of the booth to chat.

"I don't like crowds very much, but I love to see Silverdale celebrating. We're all so busy most of the time, it's nice to see our friends and neighbors have fun. The scones are my favorite thing about the festival. With a little jam and butter, mmm...there's nothing better. Maybe you can send your sweetie here to go get some for you!" She chuckled. It was nice to talk to somepony casually for once. Copper was usually so busy working or spending time alone, she didn't socialize often.
"Thank you very much!" said Juniper with a smile.  "Mmm, scones are sounding better and better.  Well, I suppose that a little break won't hurt.  Feather, could you please buy a few scones from Peppershake?"

The unicorn nodded and carefully put away the writing implements, taking a small wallet with him as he got out from behind the counter.  He nodded and smiled softly at Copper before heading out to the pastries stand, his familiar meek face easily spotted among the crowd of Earth ponies.

Juniper turned back to Copper.  "It is certainly a joy to see everypony relaxing and having fun, since everypony works so hard the rest of the time.  The miners I hardly see unless they need a new pickaxe handle or something.  I wish there were more times we could all just have a little time together rather than being apart or working day in and day out."

Coffee Rush

Ribbons grabbed a sparkler, and giggled. Scratch got one, and two other fillies grabbed some.
[glow=green,2,300]"Thank you!"[/glow] Ribbons said cheerfully. The foals seemed nice, playful, and energetic as they roamed the store.

The colt reached in his saddlebag, and hoofed him three bits. [glow=brown,2,300]"Thank you, Mister Tinker!"[/glow] He said.
My OC can be found here!

Morning Glory

((Time to make dinner. I'll be back in an hour or two))

Chautauquan

2012 Jun 19, 20:31:20 #34 Last Edit: 2012 Jun 20, 01:56:15 by Chautauquan
Dusty smiled as he came into the town square, glancing about at the various activities in which the populace was busying itself.  He'd let himself sleep until sunrise, which now struck him as a bit unfortunate, as the opening festivities already seem to have commenced!  But although the sweets and other treats beckoned him, right now, he was only in the market for one commodity... Stories.   Particularly, what made the town tick, where it came from, and trying to nail down the old families which shaped the community.  And what better place than a festival if he were to catch the telling of stories!  Surely somewhere one of the older generation would be regaling the youth with tales of a bygone era.  But, until then, it might not hurt to ask somepony who exactly fits the bill.

Although it was obvious that this was an earthpony town, Dusty first noticed a pale blue unicorn browsing the pastry stand, but, true to his habit, Dusty originally decided to wait, not wanting to interrupt the fellow in the midst of his purchases.  That was when he noticed the scroll.  Oh, the scroll!  Granted, it was of a different color, and had a quill accompanying it, but there was no doubt that was a scroll!  Chuckling to himself, Dusty thanked his lucky stars that his path had led him here.

But some things are just too tempting, and Dusty found himself cantering over, trying to get to know this treasure of a scholar.  "Hello," he offered, simply.  "Sorry to be so quick, but may I have a minute of your time?"
"I often wish that the two groups - adults and kids - could find a way to get along better. ... The biggest problem is, the adults have one of the most effective recruitment strategies in the world.

Give them enough time, and they'll turn any kid into one of them."
-Brandon Sanderson

GalvinRoe

2012 Jun 19, 22:24:04 #35 Last Edit: 2012 Jun 19, 23:10:13 by GalvinRoe
Quote from: Morning Glory on 2012 Jun 19, 18:31:51
GM:

Garnet shook her head and sat up. Snatching her tray and setting it on her back, she trotted over as she heard somepony call for service. She put on her best smile and straitened the apron tied around her front. "Hello! Welcome to the Trot On Inn! I'm Garnet, owner and operator here. What can I do for you?" These ponies were strangers, but she mostly did business with visitors to the town anyways. At least they were earth ponies. "Do you need a room for the Celebration? I have a few small rooms open and one large suite if you prefer to stay together."

Three seperate rooms please! But before that, is there a shower somewhere? A hot clensing shower! This grime feels horrible and it doesn't smell too rosey either!

Strokes smiled Three seperate rooms please. Is there anyway we could be . . . left alone for the remainder of the Sun Celebration? I'd rather not be disturbed . . . if possible.

Morning Glory

2012 Jun 19, 22:39:01 #36 Last Edit: 2012 Jun 19, 22:45:47 by Morning Glory
GM:

Garnet shank back as the unicorn mare shouted at her. Ears folded back, she tried to keep her smile on, but failed. She quietly nodded, grim faced and led them into the Inn proper. Trotting behind the counter, she pulled out three keys, each on a chain with a silver charm on them that was stamped with a number and letter. "Third floor. Rooms C, D, and E. Each room has a tub, but if you want a shower, you can go to the end of the hall, there's a shared shower room on each floor." She pulled out a pad of papers that could be ripped off. "It's seven bits a night each. And I'll need your names." She scribbled some words on to each of three sheets and handed them over for the trio to fill out.

She frowned at Strokes's request. Most people came to stay at the inn so they could be part of the celebration. Garnet was already a little put off by his unicorn companions, but this strange fellow rubbed her the wrong way. Still, she would not turn down a customer. "I suppose yes. There's cards on the inside of your doors. Hang them on the hook outside, and my staff will not disturb you. However, would you like your complimentary dinner delivered?"

GalvinRoe

2012 Jun 19, 22:52:07 #37 Last Edit: 2012 Jun 19, 23:05:32 by GalvinRoe
Strokes smiled slightly, he felt the ponies pent up animosity towards him and he would set it right, someday but not today. Today was a day he had the same feeling inside himself towards anypony willing to mindlessly celebrate their tyranical over-lords.

We'll take the rooms I'l have my meal sent up to me, Right Hoof here will see to it that it gets delievered so don't send any-pony. My two friends here won't be taking their meals in their rooms I expect. Now you'll have to excuse me I have something a-kin to a headache and I really must lie down.

It wasn't a lie Green-Strokes was acheing over the concept that ponies didn't think things through, sometimes.

Right Hoof blushed again.

Yes I was planning on, uh, seeing some of the festivities . . .

Strokes nodded and began heading to his room. That is until Bright Mane charged past him to get to the showers.

Right Hoof thanked Garnet Thank you miss, and please don't disturb my employer today. The Sun Celebration isn't a festival for someone like him, it's more of a . . . punishment. We wouldn't of come into town if we knew it was happening but you lose track of time on the road . . . Once again sorry and I'll be sure to deliver the food to Strokes, what time is dinner?

The Wandering Magus

2012 Jun 20, 02:51:58 #38 Last Edit: 2012 Jun 21, 02:30:33 by The Wandering Magus
Quote from: Chautauquan on 2012 Jun 19, 20:31:20
Dusty smiled as he came into the town square, glancing about at the various activities in which the populace was busying itself.  He'd let himself sleep until sunrise, which now struck him as a bit unfortunate, as the opening festivities already seem to have commenced!  But although the sweets and other treats beckoned him, right now, he was only in the market for one commodity... Stories.   Particularly, what made the town tick, where it came from, and trying to nail down the old families which shaped the community.  And what better place than a festival if he were to catch the telling of stories!  Surely somewhere one of the older generation would be regaling the youth with tales of a bygone era.  But, until then, it might not hurt to ask somepony who exactly fits the bill.

Although it was obvious that this was an earthpony town, Dusty first noticed a pale blue unicorn browsing the pastry stand, but, true to his habit, Dusty originally decided to wait, not wanting to interrupt the fellow in the midst of his purchases.  That was when he noticed the scroll.  Oh, the scroll!  Granted, it was of a different color, and had a quill accompanying it, but there was no doubt that was a scroll!  Chuckling to himself, Dusty thanked his lucky stars that his path had led him here.

But some things are just too tempting, and Dusty found himself cantering over, trying to get to know this treasure of a scholar.  "Hello," he offered, simply.  "Sorry to be so quick, but may I have a minute of your time?"

The pony was somewhat startled, but recovered some as he answered, "o-oh, um, i-i suppose so...um, what do you need?"

He spoke rather softly and politely, the tone and posture of somepony who only managed to fit into the community after years of dedication and humility, but at the same time with a rather telltale Canterlot accent, revealing his origin and foalhood home.

Chautauquan

"Sorry to startle you," Dusty began, "but I couldn't help but assume you must be a scholar of some sort."  He pointed to the cutie mark, and then to his own.  "Well, it's not quite the same, but I try to do something of that myself, and well..."  He trailed off.  Canterlot certainly had its distinctive lilt, but scholars often tend to know more about their field of study, right?  "Y'see, I'm rather new here, but I collect, well, I collect stories.  Histories, mostly.  Trying to get an idea of where this place came from, and, well, you seem like somepony who knows a thing or two, and, well, I was hoping I might get a chance just to hear some stories, learn something about the town."  He smiled, rather sheepishly at this point, for having disturbed the poor unicorn in the midst of his errand.  "But I don't want to be a bother, really."
"I often wish that the two groups - adults and kids - could find a way to get along better. ... The biggest problem is, the adults have one of the most effective recruitment strategies in the world.

Give them enough time, and they'll turn any kid into one of them."
-Brandon Sanderson

Go Up