About that Filly Funtasia show...

Started by MrSpyro, 2014 May 30, 17:39:44

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Bro1997 on 2014 Aug 03, 23:25:34
Quote from: Griffon on 2014 Jun 01, 13:16:07
I have seen this toy in Germany and now it's sold in my country too.

Makes you wonder if Filly will eventually reach the states as well and compete with MLP. Dracco doesn't sell it's merchandise for some reason in the US though. I wonder why?

I would assume it's because selling Filly toys over here would be competition for MLP, and Hasbro can be a force to be reckoned with. However, I think the first thing a lot of people will think is "What is this, an MLP ripoff?" while children may take an interest in it.

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

Bro1997

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2014 Aug 04, 09:21:30
Quote from: Bro1997 on 2014 Aug 03, 23:25:34
Quote from: Griffon on 2014 Jun 01, 13:16:07
I have seen this toy in Germany and now it's sold in my country too.

Makes you wonder if Filly will eventually reach the states as well and compete with MLP. Dracco doesn't sell it's merchandise for some reason in the US though. I wonder why?

I would assume it's because selling Filly toys over here would be competition for MLP, and Hasbro can be a force to be reckoned with. However, I think the first thing a lot of people will think is "What is this, an MLP ripoff?" while children may take an interest in it.

I have seen a ton of MLP rip-off's before so I know what your saying. Dracco would need to market other franchises and also compete with Mattel as well. That means that there would be three major toy companies trying to obtain the best sales. I don't believe though that Dracco would do well over in the states only because Hasbro and Mattel would force them to bite the dust and leave. Then again, Dracco could always sell the right to Filly over to Mattel so it could be sold in the states. Then, people would think a little differently about it. Mattel needs a pony franchise anyway. Or does it? Besides, Hasbro does sell some merchandise over in Germany and I do think there's even a German dub of MLP FIM. Not to mention that GalaCon takes place in Ludwigsburg, Germany!

Dream Bolt

"Having potential" is far different than achieving that potential. I think somepony could make it work if they did it right. And the idea of magical talking ponies, while it was widely popularized by Hasbro, is not something copyrighted or that could or should be copyrighted.

HOWEVER... I have my worries. I am a conspiracy theorist, and so I do tend to assume the worst at times, (trying to work on that,) but while I don't deny that the show could have potential, I sadly fear that it was created solely because some corporation saw that MLP was becoming popular and decided to ride on that popularity. Now, if someone fun and artistic who wanted to make something good and unique got in charge of the show, then even with the creepy OC prince it could be good. (And since it's not MLP, even Prince OC Boy wouldn't be considered out of show character, so I guess I shouldn't tease him.) And I like the idea of trying to incorporate male characters. (Even if my cynical side tells me that it's just a ploy to lure in bronies and get more money.) But what I fear is likely to happen is that a big corporation who is interested in money more than quality will be the ones behind this, and only jumped on the pony boat because of all the money they saw in it. (Sadly, this is highly likely.)
The balance that Lauren created between keeping the feminine appeal for young girls while still designing a show everypony could like was a very fragile one. I'm not saying it can't be replicated. I'm just saying I'm not getting my hopes up.

Still... you never know.... :/

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Dream Bolt on 2014 Aug 14, 16:54:33
"Having potential" is far different than achieving that potential. I think somepony could make it work if they did it right. And the idea of magical talking ponies, while it was widely popularized by Hasbro, is not something copyrighted or that could or should be copyrighted.

HOWEVER... I have my worries. I am a conspiracy theorist, and so I do tend to assume the worst at times, (trying to work on that,) but while I don't deny that the show could have potential, I sadly fear that it was created solely because some corporation saw that MLP was becoming popular and decided to ride on that popularity. Now, if someone fun and artistic who wanted to make something good and unique got in charge of the show, then even with the creepy OC prince it could be good. (And since it's not MLP, even Prince OC Boy wouldn't be considered out of show character, so I guess I shouldn't tease him.) And I like the idea of trying to incorporate male characters. (Even if my cynical side tells me that it's just a ploy to lure in bronies and get more money.) But what I fear is likely to happen is that a big corporation who is interested in money more than quality will be the ones behind this, and only jumped on the pony boat because of all the money they saw in it. (Sadly, this is highly likely.)
The balance that Lauren created between keeping the feminine appeal for young girls while still designing a show everypony could like was a very fragile one. I'm not saying it can't be replicated. I'm just saying I'm not getting my hopes up.

Apparently, the Filly Funtasia toys have been around since, about, 2006 in Germany, which would explain why none of us Americans have heard of it.
My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic didn't start until 2010.

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

Bro1997

2014 Aug 14, 20:19:25 #24 Last Edit: 2014 Aug 14, 20:33:22 by Bro1997

The idea of magical ponies that talk didn't start with Hasbro though. It started because of "Pony Books" which stared horses/ponies that actually talked. Many started to be released in the 1920s, but started with Anna Sewell's Black Beauty which was written around 1877. We don't exactly know if Filly Funtasia will be a good show. I do myself believe it has potential, but in order to have that it will need to do things differently then MLP. And it does, don't give me wrong. Filly is different from the Chinese companies who make MLP rip offs and sell them in typical dollar stores in the US. They have their own series of ponies like witches, angels, fairies, unicorns, and I think they also have a wedding series. So it's definitely possible for Filly Funtasia to do good, it just depends on our opinions and the theorists if the show is actually popular. Yeah, it's possible for Dracco to be doing this TV show just because MLP has done well because of the 2010 cartoon. But no one is going to do ponies the way Lauren Faust did it. She did it in a special way because she wanted to teach actual morals and friendship lessons instead of being all girly too-shoes and not really understanding the full aspect of having a good friendship with others. Just the fun the comes with it is what G3 did. Not that it's bad, but still. Believe me, I do think of the worst sometimes too. I still believe MLP FIM is going to end next year. 

Post Merge

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2014 Aug 14, 18:54:57

Apparently, the Filly Funtasia toys have been around since, about, 2006 in Germany, which would explain why none of us Americans have heard of it.
My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic didn't start until 2010.

Actually it's just called Filly and yes it started in 2006. However, it only exists in Germany, Central European Countries like the Czech Republic, Poland, and Russia. It never has been around in the United States because I'm guessing due to too much competition against the big names, Hasbro and Mattel. My Little Pony itself started in 1983 (1982 as My Pretty Pony) and it started in the United States by toy designer Bonnie Zacherle. We know it very well because we live in the country MLP was founded upon. MLP is 23 years older then Filly so I'm guessing that prior to 2006 MLP was doing good in the European market. I've heard the only reason we have G4 is solely because of Filly and I think it's to try to retain the European audience that it lost 4 years prior to MLP FIM's launch. So Dracco probably responded by creating Filly Funtasia and will begin it's air time in 2015 because of it.

MrSpyro

There are also Butterfly, Angel, and Mer-filly toylines, but I'm not sure that they will be in the show. At least the Butterflies and Mer-fillies. There was a character in the trailer who looks like an Alicorn from MLP, and he may be a Unicorn/Angel hybrid.
Derp race!
[move] :P[/move]
[move]    :P[/move]
[move]       :P[/move]
[move]          :P[/move]

Bro1997

Quote from: MrSpyro on 2014 Aug 15, 21:05:30
There are also Butterfly, Angel, and Mer-filly toylines, but I'm not sure that they will be in the show. At least the Butterflies and Mer-fillies. There was a character in the trailer who looks like an Alicorn from MLP, and he may be a Unicorn/Angel hybrid.

Yeah you are right. Sothesti, the user on Equestria Daily who created Funtasia Daily told in the comments that his theory is that Al (Alicorn) is the Angles leader or something like that. I think that the Alicorn is an Angel Filly who just happens to also have a horn. He should have an important role however in the show since he appears in Twilight's (The teacher, not the hot looking purple alicorn) classroom and goes on some mission with some of the students. It's hard to tell what the actual plots to the show will be, but definitely more towards MLP FIM then the G3 movies. I do think the show will be good, it's just needs to do things that FIM doesn't do. And I believe that Filly Funtasia should be able to pull that off. It does look very impressive and the show has developed very well from the first trailer.  I really hope I'm correct on all this. I still wonder what channel Filly Funtasia will be on in the United States, though!

Go Up