Merging Posts

Started by GoldenTerrabyte, 2013 Jun 06, 22:57:50

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

GalvinRoe

2013 Jun 07, 04:12:48 #20 Last Edit: 2013 Jun 07, 04:19:38 by GalvinRoe
Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2013 Jun 07, 04:06:32
I've heard of someone somehow reaching that limit in the RP board.

Also, I think Lyra gets close to it sometimes.

Would be nice to have the limit cut, entirely. The problem hardly ever comes up and no harm in leaving a theoretical 'unlimited' possibility of characters. Besides, if someone decided to 'take advantage' of this, I chuckle at the time it would take, even if it was repetitive nonsense. Such things would be easily cleaned up.

As it goes, *I* would prefer an 'unlimited' number of characters to work with.

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: GalvinRoe on 2013 Jun 07, 04:12:48
Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2013 Jun 07, 04:06:32
I've heard of someone somehow reaching that limit in the RP board.

Also, I think Lyra gets close to it sometimes.

Would be nice to have the limit cut, entirely. The problem hardly ever comes up and no harm in leaving a theoretical 'unlimited' possibility of characters. Besides, if someone decided to 'take advantage' of this, I chuckle at the time it would take, even if it was repetitive nonsense. Such things would be easily cleaned up.

As it goes, *I* would prefer an 'unlimited' number of characters to work with.

Oh, trust me, all someone has to do is type a bunch of nonsense or click an emote several times, then select what's in the text box, copy it, and then paste it hundreds of times, then select all of that, copy, and paste it several more times. Easy gigantic post. It wouldn't be too hard to spam with unlimited characters that way.

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

GalvinRoe

2013 Jun 07, 04:46:02 #22 Last Edit: 2013 Jun 07, 04:57:10 by GalvinRoe
Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2013 Jun 07, 04:37:01

Oh, trust me, all someone has to do is type a bunch of nonsense or click an emote several times, then select what's in the text box, copy it, and then paste it hundreds of times, then select all of that, copy, and paste it several more times. Easy gigantic post. It wouldn't be too hard to spam with unlimited characters that way.

Exactly  lol. Still, to fill up 20,000 characters takes dedication and although some enjoy spending their time on such pranks, we've hardly seen it up to now and increasing the limit won't increase this attitude.

Honestly I don't see any reason to HAVE a character limit  lol. If space is really needed, and I don't think I'm assuming too much by saying, "it isn't." For it to be efficient there would have to be  a post limit as well.

Whatever the case, I vote for a 'limitless' character 'limit'. It will probably come in place once in five hundred posts but I like to keep my posts tidy and I really see no reason for HAVING that limitl. Most posts on this forum are a sentence, if we move into more discussion based zones than I'd say an average of 750 characters and I believe that's a very generous and unorthodox method of rounding.

GoldenTerrabyte

I think the character limit is bad for OC pages. It prevented me from being able to make them full, 3 Dimensional characters.
I'm back

super_chris85

I want to try the post thing to see it

Post Merge

btw how are you all

GoldenTerrabyte

Exactly! See how useful that is?
I'm back

super_chris85

it is and is probably easy to program in if the programmer knows what he is doing which I'm more than sure he does. Hay i could probably do it too

Liska

I'll increase the limit to 50,000 characters (please don't actively try to spam and test this limit).

I think the main reason SMF made a character limit is because of any errors that may occur. A person once sent a PM that was 20,000 characters with no breaks and it ended up crashing his inbox. We had to manually remove the message. :I

Anywho, hope everypony enjoys the new Post Merge and the increased character limit. ^-^

Go Up