Merging Posts

Started by GoldenTerrabyte, 2013 Jun 06, 22:57:50

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

GoldenTerrabyte

I think you should make it so if you post twice in a row it merges it into one post to prevent double-posting.
I'm back

WolfsGhost

If you post twice in a row, you can ask a moderator to merge the post for you, or you can simply copy the second post and post it into the first one, putting a notification in the second (now blank) post informing a moderator to delete the post.

Pipkin

Quote from: WolfsGhost on 2013 Jun 06, 23:03:59
If you post twice in a row, you can ask a moderator to merge the post for you, or you can simply copy the second post and post it into the first one, putting a notification in the second (now blank) post informing a moderator to delete the post.

People also have the option of also deleting their own posts so a moderator isn't required to fix an accidental double post

GoldenTerrabyte

2013 Jun 06, 23:10:10 #3 Last Edit: 2013 Jun 06, 23:11:56 by Yellowpikmin476
But that can be a lot of work, and some browsers can't copy/paste. (Yes, it's true. I can't copy/paste.) The idea is to make it so you don't have to do that. And there isn't a mod who's on 24/7, so that can be annoying too.
I'm back

Julius

There's an edit Button and a delete Button. No mod intervention required, to be honest.
Purr~

GoldenTerrabyte

Right, but, I just think it would be convenient.
I'm back

Pipkin

I don't know alot about SMF forums but I believe the merge option is a moderator tool and cant be used by members.  I think the only option is to either manually retype the post in your first post and delete it that way or wait for a moderator to take care of it, but i'll wait for someone who knows these forums better than me to say something about that.

I know you can't do that in Kunena.

GoldenTerrabyte

I didn't mean a merge option, I meant like it automatically becomes one post.
I'm back

Pipkin

Quote from: Yellowpikmin476 on 2013 Jun 06, 23:28:02
I didn't mean a merge option, I meant like it automatically becomes one post.

Hmm, in my opinion if such an option existed I would imagine the mods would have already implemented it to save them the work of merging posts, but again, my knowledge of SMF is quite limited

Liska

2013 Jun 06, 23:46:55 #9 Last Edit: 2013 Jun 06, 23:56:16 by AnyaSmash
arise chikun

Post Merge: 2013 Jun 07, 14:47:00

chikun nuggits

Post Merge: 2013 Jun 07, 11:47:06

tada. ^-^

Post Merge: 2013 Jun 07, 08:48:25

test moar

Post Merge: 2013 Jun 07, 05:50:45

shazam

Post Merge: 2013 Jun 07, 02:51:42

Hopefully the time stamps are correct.  :s

Post Merge

QuoteMySQL timestamps are stored as UTC, converted back and forth to current server timezone.

Well. The simple solution is to remove timestamps until I figure it out, if ever.

Tiger

Yay, now we won't have any more double-posters! :D

Post Merge

I wanna try this myself :U

A link to my tumblr above!
Tiger's OC page. Should re-do it...

Julius

Me...

Post Merge

... Too.

Huh... Not bad! ^-^
Purr~

Jenzy

Testing...

Post Merge

Alley-oop!

Edit: NICE! :D

GalvinRoe

2013 Jun 07, 03:08:05 #13 Last Edit: 2013 Jun 07, 03:10:09 by GalvinRoe
 How does this affect two consecutive posts that pass the character limit, when combined.?

Tiger

Quote from: GalvinRoe on 2013 Jun 07, 03:08:05
How does this affect two consecutive posts that pass the character limit, when combined.?

I didn't know there was a character limit :o

A link to my tumblr above!
Tiger's OC page. Should re-do it...

Liska

2013 Jun 07, 03:19:42 #15 Last Edit: 2013 Jun 07, 03:22:56 by AnyaSmash
I think it ignores the character limit, but I haven't tried it out yet.

Edit: It gives you the "The following error(s) occurred while posting this message:
The message exceeds the maximum allowed length (20000 characters)." error.

GalvinRoe

Quote from: AnyaSmash on 2013 Jun 07, 03:19:42
I think it ignores the character limit, but I haven't tried it out yet.

Edit: It gives you the "The following error(s) occurred while posting this message:
The message exceeds the maximum allowed length (20000 characters)." error.

Ah dear, I see a rare but potential problematic problem  >.<.

Liska

Well I could always remove the character limit, or increase it. But 20,000 characters is a loooooooot of characters, I don't think we'll run into a problem too much.

GalvinRoe

Agreed, not horribly often  lol, but there have been a few places I've exceeded that limit  >.<.

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: AnyaSmash on 2013 Jun 07, 03:44:39
Well I could always remove the character limit, or increase it. But 20,000 characters is a loooooooot of characters, I don't think we'll run into a problem too much.

I've heard of someone somehow reaching that limit in the RP board.

Also, I think Lyra gets close to it sometimes.

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

Go Up