Is Big Macintosh actually shy or introverted?

Started by Bro1997, 2014 Aug 26, 17:17:38

previous topic - next topic

Is Big Macintosh's personality more shy or introverted like?

Shy
1 (4.5%)
Introvert
14 (63.6%)
Both Shy and Introverted
7 (31.8%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Go Down

Bro1997

Big Macintosh seems to be my favorite character since his personality is very quiet like. What I don't get is how his little sister, Apple Bloom thinks that he is very shy when he appears more to have a introverted personality. I'm not sure if it's possible, but I would think that he has characteristics that both shy and introverted people have. As I said, I don't believe it's even possible to be shy and also be introverted since introverts tend to want to be left alone and like to talk as with shy people who are scared that other people won't like them and will make fun of them. As with Fluttershy as she is a prime example of a very shy person. They want to be in with conversations, but are too scared of not fitting in. Introverts also can talk to people with ease, but prefer not to talk because they don't like to. They also need time alone after talking to some people because it gets tiring to them. Shy people don't mind talking as long as they are well liked for who they are and like Fluttershy will talk in a quieter tone of voice. As you see, Big Macintosh I think is introverted and not really someone I'd consider a shy person because of the characteristics he posses.

AaronMk

Let's ask his voice. Peter New should know. He knows everything. But Larson still knows more.

He doesn't know.

Let's just say Big Mac is "simple" and leave it at that.

#DeposeGothsFromRomanClay

Dark Hooves

i vote introvert, a lot of ppl are introverts and share traits big mac has
<br /><br />everypony is capable of great good or great evil but everypony should be treated like their worth giving a chance<br /><br />My OCs. http://forum.legendsofequestria.com/index.php?topic=6860.0

Midnight Breeze

Chishio Kunrin

Introverts tend to be mistaken as being shy, but then again, maybe some introverts can develop a shy attitude on top of being introverted.

I mean, when hanging around people can take the energy out of you, you can become kind of afraid to meet new people. :s

I'm an introvert, and while some people find it fun to party, run around, be crazy, and do all sorts of high energy things, my idea of a fun time with friends is pretty calm and tame. I'm perfectly fine with sitting in the same room as them and watching TV together, even if I'm on my laptop and one of my friends is using her Kindle Fire and maybe another of my friends is also on her laptop. We still talk to each other and laugh together. Hanging out like that takes a lot less energy out of me, and I can stand to have people around for longer. But once my energy is spent, I really want to be alone for a while.

I guess we haven't seen enough of Big Mac to know one way or the other, though. But he does seem like he's perfectly fine hanging around by himself, so maybe he is a bit of an introvert.

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

Bro1997

2014 Aug 26, 22:34:02 #5 Last Edit: 2014 Aug 26, 22:39:53 by Bro1997
Quote from: AaronMk on 2014 Aug 26, 17:25:51
Let's ask his voice. Peter New should know. He knows everything. But Larson still knows more.

He doesn't know.

Spoiler: show
What do you mean by "simple". Just a pony with a simple lifestyle, perhaps? But I still want to know technically if Big Mac is shy or introverted.

Quote from: Dark Hooves on 2014 Aug 26, 17:34:59
i vote introvert, a lot of ppl are introverts and share traits big mac has

Makes a whole lot more sense if you ask me. He doesn't show any traits that a shy person would have. Otherwise, he'd be specking in a lower tone of voice and be a little more afraid of specking.
Quote from: Midnight Breeze on 2014 Aug 26, 18:02:10
He's just a loner is all.

Technically, a loner is considered a introvert so you are saying that he's an introvert. At least that's what a test I took on personality told me.

Mizuki

2014 Aug 27, 00:08:36 #6 Last Edit: 2014 Aug 29, 22:28:43 by Mizuki
Didn't Applebloom already say that big mac was Shy? During Hearts and Hooves day I believe.

Still I went ahead and voted for both, since we don't really see him hanging out with other ponies aside from his family, and he spends a lot of time alone as he's plowing fields and such.

Not to be confused with Zukiuke

Yuriski

I don't think he's as shy as people make him out to be. In Filli Vanilli, he performed multiple times with The Ponytones in front of large crowds under a lot of pressure. He also took part in a turkey gobble during that, which he had apparently won many times before.

Midnight Breeze

He's not shy. Shyness by definition insinuates that one is uncomfortable and anxious in social situations, but Big Mac is not, he just prefers to keep to himself is all.

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Midnight Breeze on 2014 Aug 27, 01:35:40
He's not shy. Shyness by definition insinuates that one is uncomfortable and anxious in social situations, but Big Mac is not, he just prefers to keep to himself is all.

So, he's just a reeeally quiet introvert.

Bro1997

2014 Aug 27, 21:19:35 #10 Last Edit: 2014 Aug 27, 21:25:42 by Bro1997

If he was shy, he'd probably also speck in a quieter tone of voice and be terrified of things liking being made fun of. At least that's what Fluttershy is.
Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2014 Aug 27, 02:32:31

So, he's just a reeeally quiet introvert.

Most introverts are quiet though. It's one of the few things that introverts and shy people have in common, that they tend to be quiet a lot.
Quote from: Yuriski on 2014 Aug 27, 01:29:43
I don't think he's as shy as people make him out to be. In Filli Vanilli, he performed multiple times with The Ponytones in front of large crowds under a lot of pressure. He also took part in a turkey gobble during that, which he had apparently won many times before.

Well, Apple Bloom seems to not understand shyness very well then. Because she thought that Big Mac was very shy. Many fans have Big Mac paired up with Fluttershy because they believe that both are very shy. However, shy people and introverts truly have nothing in common and have total differences. As I said before, it's impossible for someone to be both shy and introverted. It like being someone who's absolutely paranoid and afraid of everything in life.

AaronMk

Quote from: Bro1997 on 2014 Aug 26, 22:34:02

He doesn't know.

What do you mean by "simple". Just a pony with a simple lifestyle, perhaps? But I still want to know technically if Big Mac is shy or introverted.

Don't tell me you don't know what "simple" means in this context.

#DeposeGothsFromRomanClay

snowflurry

2014 Aug 27, 23:21:12 #12 Last Edit: 2014 Aug 27, 23:23:03 by snowflurry
I feel that he is more stoic, my theory is that  after the death of his parents he took the role to stay strong and endure the pain so that he could care for his family so they and the farm didn't fall completely to pieces, and it developed into the strong pony of few words he is today.

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Bro1997 on 2014 Aug 27, 21:19:35
Quote from: Yuriski on 2014 Aug 27, 01:29:43

Well, Apple Bloom seems to not understand shyness very well then. Because she thought that Big Mac was very shy. Many fans have Big Mac paired up with Fluttershy because they believe that both are very shy. However, shy people and introverts truly have nothing in common and have total differences. As I said before, it's impossible for someone to be both shy and introverted. It like being someone who's absolutely paranoid and afraid of everything in life.

As I said before, it's not uncommon for people to mistake an introvert for being shy.

Also, maybe since MLP is mainly for kids, they went with the simpler term that children would understand.
I guess an in-universe explanation is that Apple Bloom is a child, so she doesn't really know the word introvert.

Bro1997

2014 Aug 28, 19:59:41 #14 Last Edit: 2014 Aug 29, 04:50:10 by Ludvic
Quote from: AaronMk on 2014 Aug 27, 22:50:09
Quote from: Bro1997 on 2014 Aug 26, 22:34:02

He doesn't know.

Don't tell me you don't know what "simple" means in this context.

I somewhat don't understand why he'd be called "simple". Other then his lifestyle and how he does things.

Quote from: snowflurry on 2014 Aug 27, 23:21:12
I feel that he is more stoic, my theory is that  after the death of his parents he took the role to stay strong and endure the pain so that he could care for his family so they and the farm didn't fall completely to pieces, and it developed into the strong pony of few words he is today.

So Big Macintosh used to talk more before his parents died? What's stoic anyways? He'd still be considered an introvert by real life standards.

snowflurry

2014 Aug 29, 05:59:55 #15 Last Edit: 2014 Aug 29, 06:01:44 by snowflurry
stoic
/ˈstəʊɪk/
noun
plural noun: stoics;

a person who can endure pain or hardship without showing their feelings or complaining.
a member of the ancient philosophical school of Stoicism.

Mizuki

I feel like shy and introverted can coexist, at least it seems to be that way with me!

or maybe I'm just so shy that I'd rather be alone than deal with the anxiety that comes with being a around people o_O

Not to be confused with Zukiuke

InariFran

He is neither shy nor introverted
He just CAN'T talk much! O:See what happened in season 4?
His throat broke just because he sang a whole song!
Every pony's contribution is important no matter how small,if you just keep your head high do your best and believing yourself,anything can happen

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: InariFran on 2014 Sep 07, 08:36:46
He is neither shy nor introverted
He just CAN'T talk much! O:See what happened in season 4?
His throat broke just because he sang a whole song!

I'm sure he can talk and can sing, he just sang way too much or put too much strain on his throat. It happens to people in real life, y'know?

Rissian

I think it was the turkey call that hurt his voice not singing. But just from the fact that he scolded the CMC it seems he talks fine voice wise

I can vouch for the singing thing as well. I was practicing singing for a few days and my voice got messed up for a day or so.

Go Up