How long will My Little Pony go on for?

Started by Bro1997, 2014 Aug 03, 19:52:25

previous topic - next topic

How long will MLP continue to be around?

As long as MLP is popular
8 (47.1%)
Until the end of Generation 4
1 (5.9%)
Until Hasbro can't market it anymore
8 (47.1%)
Ponies are no longer enjoyed by young females
0 (0%)
Until MLP turns 50 in 2033
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: 2015 Aug 03, 19:52:25

Go Down

Bro1997

This poll is to see what MLP fans/bronies believe how long MLP itself will be around and marketed by Hasbro or any other company. It'll run for exactly one year and I hope people will vote on this. The last poll I put up about how long the Brony fandom itself will be around doesn't have any votes on it! :l Please vote on this one at least and have a good day everypony.  ^-^

Tiger

A link to my tumblr above!
Tiger's OC page. Should re-do it...

Bro1997

Quote from: Tiger on 2014 Aug 03, 20:38:09
Didn't you already make a thread similar to this..?  :s

http://forum.legendsofequestria.com/index.php?topic=12357.msg828660#msg828660

Actually no, that thread was a poll about what people think will be the year FIM is cancelled for good. I put that on there because back in February, Hasbro decided to give five more years from 2014 to 2019 to G4. This poll or thread you can call it is actually about how long the actual franchise itself will be around before Hasbro gives it the boot. I feel that MLP won't be around after 2019 because of the lack of sales that Hasbro is making now. Not to mention that by 2018, MLP will already be 35 years old. Then again, can we do anything about the future? No we can't. But, I was just curious so I put both of these threads out. Make sure to vote on both of them.

EliteAspect

There are more men who watch MLP than young females. But frankly, young females don't really care what they watch as long as it is funny or has cool graphics. Like spongebob, that show lasted for years but got taken down because newer generations were getting into Teen Titans and all that gagaratzi stuff.

Zsaszz

Actually you answered your own question with this..

Quote from: Bro1997 on 2014 Aug 03, 21:43:51I feel that MLP won't be around after 2019 because of the lack of sales that Hasbro is making now

If the time comes in the future when the MLP franchise don't give Hasbro some revenue, they will end finishing it, this happens often with different companies like the old Action-Man they completely discontinued it when the sales of the Max Steel toys were much better. For a company is not productive at all to keep rebooting a franchise that it's not giving them money, Hasbro is a toy company after all, thats their main income, if a franchise doesn't give them good sell numbers, they try to re-launch it with a new look, if that doesn't work then they remove it. But what happens here is that MLP is a well known Hasbro franchise, and they will try to keep it alive rather than simply finishing it.

AaronMk

2014 Aug 04, 01:54:03 #5 Last Edit: 2014 Aug 04, 02:00:17 by AaronMk
As a note, I am just going to add that MLP is one of Hasbro's fastest growing brands over the course of ten years.

When a brand has a 40%+ rate of growth you tend to listen. Likewise for the the year 2013 MLP was a contributing factor for over a billion dollars worth of growth for their girl's sector (Reported here). Likewise continuing to increase 20% by the first quarter of 2014. And then by 10% by the second.

So the brand dying? Gods no. It's as alive as it has been, if not more. It's still growing, despite the slump in growth rate.

#DeposeGothsFromRomanClay

Bro1997

2014 Aug 04, 10:10:04 #6 Last Edit: 2014 Aug 04, 10:15:48 by Bro1997
Quote from: Zsaszz on 2014 Aug 04, 01:48:44
Actually you answered your own question with this..

Quote from: Bro1997 on 2014 Aug 03, 21:43:51I feel that MLP won't be around after 2019 because of the lack of sales that Hasbro is making now

If the time comes in the future when the MLP franchise don't give Hasbro some revenue, they will end finishing it, this happens often with different companies like the old Action-Man they completely discontinued it when the sales of the Max Steel toys were much better. For a company is not productive at all to keep rebooting a franchise that it's not giving them money, Hasbro is a toy company after all, thats their main income, if a franchise doesn't give them good sell numbers, they try to re-launch it with a new look, if that doesn't work then they remove it. But what happens here is that MLP is a well known Hasbro franchise, and they will try to keep it alive rather than simply finishing it.

That's true, but I think that young females are starting to go out of playing with ponies. I dobut that G5 will even exist considering the whole Monster High crap that's popular now. And, I don't think they really care much about the men watching MLP FIM. They only care about revenue and marketing their products towards young females. If you ask me, 2019 will be it. It's sad, but it's life.

Post Merge

Quote from: EliteAspect on 2014 Aug 04, 01:28:35
There are more men who watch MLP than young females. But frankly, young females don't really care what they watch as long as it is funny or has cool graphics. Like spongebob, that show lasted for years but got taken down because newer generations were getting into Teen Titans and all that gagaratzi stuff.

Did they really cancel SpongeBob? O: I'm not much into Teen Titans though. MLP to me might last another 10 years, but who knows. Young females don't like ponies that much anymore. It's sad.

Post Merge

Quote from: AaronMk on 2014 Aug 04, 01:54:03
As a note, I am just going to add that MLP is one of Hasbro's fastest growing brands over the course of ten years.

When a brand has a 40%+ rate of growth you tend to listen. Likewise for the the year 2013 MLP was a contributing factor for over a billion dollars worth of growth for their girl's sector (Reported here). Likewise continuing to increase 20% by the first quarter of 2014. And then by 10% by the second.

So the brand dying? Gods no. It's as alive as it has been, if not more. It's still growing, despite the slump in growth rate.

Okay, explain the lack of sales MLP was making then during the 1990s? Huh. Besides, toy franchises are dyeing out because of the stupid technology like iPads. Most of the sales anyway were probably from grown men and women that are still fans of MLP and Transformers. No child these days would play these toys. The 2020s will be worse.

AaronMk

Quote from: Bro1997 on 2014 Aug 04, 10:10:04
Okay, explain the lack of sales MLP was making then during the 1990s? Huh. Besides, toy franchises are dyeing out because of the stupid technology like iPads. Most of the sales anyway were probably from grown men and women that are still fans of MLP and Transformers. No child these days would play these toys. The 2020s will be worse.

I have never met anyone who went so out of their way to mis-represent an argument as much as you have just now without first realizing the differences between the terribly comparison you just tried to make. You didn't prove anything. Not only did you attempt to re-direct the argument to an irrelevant comparison, but you then proceed to ignore the fact growth exists. The original target demographic still overpowers us in terms of viewership.

It's like you're going out of your way to be edgy and cynical and to try and prove your point where it doesn't exist.

#DeposeGothsFromRomanClay

Bro1997

Quote from: AaronMk on 2014 Aug 04, 11:40:40
Quote from: Bro1997 on 2014 Aug 04, 10:10:04

I have never met anyone who went so out of their way to mis-represent an argument as much as you have just now without first realizing the differences between the terribly comparison you just tried to make. You didn't prove anything. Not only did you attempt to re-direct the argument to an irrelevant comparison, but you then proceed to ignore the fact growth exists. The original target demographic still overpowers us in terms of viewership.

It's like you're going out of your way to be edgy and cynical and to try and prove your point where it doesn't exist.

Well, yeah I never meant the actual television series. Of course the ratings would be the target demographic. Most teens and adults in America are judging the series as childish and don't want to take a chance because of it. Most people in this world can't accept the fact that ponies can be loved by adults as well. Most of those viewers anyway are just little girls. Boys and most men in the world hate that stuff because their parents judge shows by their looks and not by quality. Their afraid that bullying will be such a concern. Even if a group of boys came together and were fans of ponies their peers will make fun of them for no reason. Just one of the reasons this world has so many problems. Adults over the age of 50 also don't get bronies either.

cloudwilk

I think as long as its popular... Hasbro will be able to sell those things for years to come XD They've been doing them regardless of show since the 80's. Granted, that is a huge growth rate, but it will eventually level off and I don't think this particular show will be reliant on that. Nothing's gonna stop them from a G5 after this one's passed.

[I]"Want to see where I came from??"[/I]Jump into the portal and find out!

Bro1997

Quote from: cloudwilk on 2014 Aug 05, 09:31:58
I think as long as its popular... Hasbro will be able to sell those things for years to come XD They've been doing them regardless of show since the 80's. Granted, that is a huge growth rate, but it will eventually level off and I don't think this particular show will be reliant on that. Nothing's gonna stop them from a G5 after this one's passed.

Well of course not! I wouldn't expect them to. I just hope that they make a G5 and that MLP remains popular. I really do hope though that the next generation will do as good sales as the last two. After all, a huge growth rate like that is really large. It's basically because G3 was introduced around that time and both that and G4 received good praise and sales rates were higher. G2 however got a negative response from consumers due how small the ponies were and the lack of a brush able mane which is why MLP wasn't so big in the 90s. Regardless, the franchise did survive and I'm certain now that MLP should last at least possibly 30 more years with the proper marketing skills and decent artists responsible for the new generation. Like that of G1, G3, and G4. G3.5 wasn't bad either, but was more of an updated version of G3. BTW, you do know that this isn't the first time MLP received a TV show, right? There were some specials during the G3 era and a 1986 and 1992 television series based on G1 MLP ponies. To me, they were pretty good shows and somewhat a little dark for today's standards!  O: G2 was the only generation I know that doesn't have any animated specials or TV shows. Just an old CD-ROM game called MLP: Friendship Gardens. Not a bad game, but it does have the only animations at all of G2 MLP ponies!!! I don't think Hasbro bothered trying to create a TV show based off of G2 and G3. Not sure why, though?

Mizuki

I'm guessing it'll be around so long as Hasbro itself exists; or even if Hasbro stopped existing, I'm sure somebody else would take control of the MLP brand at some point.

It's currently doing better than Barbie, and that brand has been around since the 50's or 60's :]

So basically; forever!  <3

Not to be confused with Zukiuke

cloudwilk

I'm sure Hasbro will still own it for years ad years to come XD Honestly, I can taste the 100th anniversary special.

But that's awhile down the road.

I remember on the Rescue from Midnight Castle episode, I was actually pretty surprised by how dark they were able to make the bad guy. Granted, it felt pretty flat for me, but for an 80's cartoon it did well. Plus, one episode from the original actually kinda creeped me out a bit. It was the one where the fillies lost their shadows or had them stolen. There was something eeriee about the first part.

[I]"Want to see where I came from??"[/I]Jump into the portal and find out!

WalterWrap2000

Quote from: Mizuki on 2014 Aug 06, 01:32:04
I'm guessing it'll be around so long as Hasbro itself exists; or even if Hasbro stopped existing, I'm sure somebody else would take control of the MLP brand at some point.

It's currently doing better than Barbie, and that brand has been around since the 50's or 60's :]

Amen to that.  ^-^
"We have a happy Spring, and Summer, and Fall. Can't Winter be happy too?" -Snowdrop

*crying forcefully* "Yes, Snowdrop. Yes it can." -Walter Wrap

Bro1997

2014 Aug 06, 17:45:23 #14 Last Edit: 2014 Aug 06, 17:47:46 by Bro1997
Quote from: cloudwilk on 2014 Aug 06, 09:04:49
I'm sure Hasbro will still own it for years ad years to come XD Honestly, I can taste the 100th anniversary special.

But that's awhile down the road.

I remember on the Rescue from Midnight Castle episode, I was actually pretty surprised by how dark they were able to make the bad guy. Granted, it felt pretty flat for me, but for an 80's cartoon it did well. Plus, one episode from the original actually kinda creeped me out a bit. It was the one where the fillies lost their shadows or had them stolen. There was something eeriee about the first part.

The original 80s MLP cartoons were pretty dark by today's standards. I'm not sure though that MLP will make it to 2083, but it would be nice! I'd be in my 80s though.

Post Merge

Quote from: Mizuki on 2014 Aug 06, 01:32:04

I knew Barbie existed since 1959. Who knows how long she'll be around before Mattel makes it quit. What company though other then Mattel would take control of MLP if Hasbro went out of business? I'm not sure if MLP will last forever, but a good 100 years maybe.

Go Up