Odd things you just learned.

Started by Zygrograxgra, 2012 Aug 21, 21:42:50

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Lord of Madness

Quote from: Book Smarts on 2012 Aug 22, 11:17:18
I know there was a topic about this occurring in cats, but meet Chimera kitteh!

Didn't think it could get so seeable and at the same adorable  :3

O_O wow... thats just awesome

Ozzy

A set of 1,800 Spatulas costs £350

Chishio Kunrin

I've never seen an animal with heterochromia and split face at the same time. :I

Heterochromia = The condition of having two different colors in your eyes.
It can come in three different forms.
- Complete: Each eye is fully a different color. Like that cat.
- Central: Both eyes are a certain color, but there's a ring of another color around the pupils.
- Sectoral: Both eyes are a mix of two different colors.

All three can occur in humans. In animals, complete and sectoral are more likely to occur, with complete being the most common. Some dog breeds are more prone to heterochromia than others. Australian Shepherds are prone to both complete and sectoral heterochromia.

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

Rissian

My sister had an albino boxer who had one blue eye and one brown eye he sadly died of a disease a few years after they got him though, which upset my nephew a lot since it was his favorite dog, but before I saw his dog I didn't even know dogs could have odd eyes.

After watching another episode of bear grylls you can apparently eat fish eyes to stay hydrated on a desert island.  :x

Chishio Kunrin

Genetics can be weird, especially when you're breeding animals. In fact, it's probably a good idea to ask a vet before you decide to breed your cat or dog.

If a completely white cat has blue eyes or one blue eye, it is exponentially more likely to be born deaf on whichever side the blue eye is on.

If you want to breed a Scottish Fold cat, you have to breed it with a cat whose ears aren't folded. Otherwise, the kittens can be born with a defect where they don't have enough cartilage.

Never breed two merle-colored Australian Shepherds together. Ever. The puppies will be much more likely to be born deaf and/or blind. That is the reason that there are brown-and-white and black-and-white Australian Shepherds in existence.
Spoiler: show
Blue merle:

Red merle:

All Labrador Retrievers are capable of birthing puppies of different colors. It doesn't matter if you breed two black ones together. Those two black Labs can still have yellow, chocolate, and black puppies.
Silver Labs have started to appear, but the AKC doesn't recognize it as an official color yet.

Lord of Madness

I learned that no matter how much you touch a baby bird the mother will actually always take it back.

Rissian

I've heard of a type of cat breed where they have a longer spine then a normal cat but because their rib cage stays small they actually have a lot of health problems and possible death from aging because theres no room for their organs to grow as they age, I hope to never end up with a cat like that it would be horrible just to know what might happen to it.  :c

That blue merle looks awesome, other then not breeding them with another merle they don't have any common health problems for that breed do they? o_o

Chishio Kunrin

I just looked it up. Their most common health problems are apparently eye problems. Red eye, epiphora, conjunctivitis, and cataracts. They can also have skin and respiratory problems.

Book Smarts

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2012 Aug 22, 17:08:20
Genetics can be weird, especially when you're breeding animals. In fact, it's probably a good idea to ask a vet before you decide to breed your cat or dog.

If a completely white cat has blue eyes or one blue eye, it is exponentially more likely to be born deaf on whichever side the blue eye is on.

If you want to breed a Scottish Fold cat, you have to breed it with a cat whose ears aren't folded. Otherwise, the kittens can be born with a defect where they don't have enough cartilage.

Never breed two merle-colored Australian Shepherds together. Ever. The puppies will be much more likely to be born deaf and/or blind. That is the reason that there are brown-and-white and black-and-white Australian Shepherds in existence.
Blue merle:

Red merle:

All Labrador Retrievers are capable of birthing puppies of different colors. It doesn't matter if you breed two black ones together. Those two black Labs can still have yellow, chocolate, and black puppies.
Silver Labs have started to appear, but the AKC doesn't recognize it as an official color yet.

I saw an australian Shepard puppy for sale at a pet store with heterochromia, it made me d'aaawww so much that if I had my own place and the money, I would adopt  DD:

Lord of Madness

there is such a thing as a hypernova

Stitchin Time

Something that is also known as a mythical creature of desruction made my heart drop then is more intense then ever like bass in an epic dubstep song.

Darkangel

Don't know what to put here.
So I just am typing these words, not knowing what to type here.
Maybe later I'll figure out.

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Stitchin Time on 2012 Aug 22, 23:14:24

Something that is also known as a mythical creature of desruction made my heart drop then is more intense then ever like bass in an epic dubstep song.

I'm not entirely sure if it's actually a chimera, considering that
1. That's a tortoiseshell cat, and it's apparently extremely common for them to have a split-color face like that. Mine has it (to a lesser degree), and my mom's coworker's tortoiseshell cat has it too.
2. It's not very rare for a cat to have heterochromia (two different-colored eyes).

Now, if scientists actually managed to make that the way they've magically made chimera rats, then I'll believe that cat is actually a chimera. Or if that cat actually has two different sets of DNA that you can take from it, like in human chimeras.

Book Smarts

My computer can't handle Mann Vs Machine  :c

BlackVortex

O_O has no smiley.
That cat looks cool.
I will be gone until the pony drought is over... so find me on Feral Heart if you want me :P

Chishio Kunrin

2012 Aug 24, 18:41:16 #35 Last Edit: 2012 Aug 24, 18:43:04 by Chishio Kunrin
I still find it pretty bizarre that cats and dogs are capable of being born with a split-colored face where the color splits in a straight line. o.O
And that it's so common in tortoiseshell cats. What is it about tortoiseshell cats that make them have a split-colored face so much?!!

LOOK! Another two with heterochromia just like the "Chimera" cat!! O:

Two Face the dog: http://www.flickr.com/photos/17173999@N00/3289327202/ :P
Split-face dogs:

Rissian

Split faced Shepherds look awesome,  :3 seeing that picture makes me want to get a bandanna for my Australian Shepherd, he would probably dislike it though and take it off. (he's already damaged his dog collar from how hyper he is.)

Lord of Madness

My parents are apparently immune to Small Pox, When they were getting shots for it A LONG TIME AGO ( lol ) the virus would never take. In which the docter said they were immune.

Night Sight

Lets get back on topic shall we?
Cats have a likely chance to have extra toes. My cat actually has 7 on each paw XD

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Night Sight on 2012 Aug 26, 21:16:18
Lets get back on topic shall we?
Cats have a likely chance to have extra toes. My cat actually has 7 on each paw XD

I've seen kittens with five toes on each hind paw before. The condition of a cat having extra toes is called polydactyl.

It's more likely to occur in cats from the east coast of the USA and the west coast of England.

Go Up