Dumb things that annoy you

Started by Zaner-Boy, 2012 Jun 01, 14:30:22

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Stardust Dragon

Now that I finally was able to go out and put funds on my 3DS, I was able to buy the DLC for Hyrule Warriors Legends I was looking forward to for a while now.  Unfortunately the part I was looking most forward to was the new fairy outfits, which they failed to explain would be in the new maps and I'd have to hunt them down that way.  It makes sense overall, but that isn't the impression I got from the DLC sales pitch that hooked me.  An ad campaign not being entirely clear, what are the odds?

Rush of MLP

Quote from: Midnight Breeze on 2016 Aug 10, 18:10:23
The dude makes millions of dollars a year and he still rents? I don't even...

He said there's nowhere that he can buy in the town he lives in. Only rent. He looked.

Midnight Breeze

Quote from: Rush of MLP on 2016 Aug 11, 00:31:09
He said there's nowhere that he can buy in the town he lives in. Only rent. He looked.

Sounds like buy-to-let robber baron shenanigans.

LostSanity

Congratulations. Seriously.

My 'haters' have finally won. Their deepest darkest wishes have been fulfilled.

All my doctor wanted was to check to make sure I didn't have any aneurysms, and what happens?

A regular cat scan detects something. My doctor made it worse saying it was cancer. A later test then confirmed it wasn't.

Either way I need surgery. I still don't know what exactly is wrong with me but surgery is the only remedy apparently.

So my 'haters' finally have their wishes fulfilled. This should make them feel even better. All negative possibilities are running through my head. So I'm sure your all happy about that too. Good for you.

August 22nd, 2016. The date the future of my life will be determined. I already know what Equestrian Dreamers and my 'haters' are hoping for. Outrageously shocking. At least I left that forum...  :s

So congratulations. Seriously. You've all gotten your wish. I hope your happy now.  :\

I don't even know the recovery time either (assuming I survive that is)

So go ahead and celebrate. I know you all want to. Either way...

Have this to remember me by:

Spoiler: show

The possible last time you'll ever see me again,

The Roman Reigns of the internet,

LostSanity
[shadow=gray,left]I'M ONLY HAPPY WHEN IT REIGNS[/shadow]

The Roman Reigns of the forum

Midnight Breeze

No Man's Sky is complete garbage, do not buy it.

The only good thing I can say about it: The refund button works well.

Chromastone64

Quote from: Midnight Breeze on 2016 Aug 12, 16:21:35
No Man's Sky is complete garbage, do not buy it.

The only good thing I can say about it: The refund button works well.

Eh, it's okay. Nowhere near as good as I expected it to be (combat freakin' sucks), but I'm interested in the world, especially the aliens and the Atlas.
A self-proclaimed "jack-of-all-media-types". I tend to say "freaking" a lot.<br />My OCs: http://forum.legendsofequestria.com/index.php?topic=13316.0

Midnight Breeze

Quote from: Chromastone64 on 2016 Aug 12, 17:45:50
Eh, it's okay. Nowhere near as good as I expected it to be (combat freakin' sucks), but I'm interested in the world, especially the aliens and the Atlas.

I take it you're on PS4. The PC version just rolled out worldwide today. "No Man's Sky"? More like "No Man's PC Can Handle It". I never even got to see the main menu because my game instantly crashed to desk top when I opened it. I ain't the only one either, a very large percentage of players experienced the same thing. Among those who could at least start the game performance is abysmal. People with brand new beast PCs are reporting extreme FPS problems, with 20 FPS on minimum settings being common.

Disregarding all that, though, I don't intend to rebuy even if the technical issues are fixed. I would probably buy it if it was appropriately priced as an indie title (Because it is an indie game), it is not worth $60 in its current state, that's AAA pricing. The style of the game is comparable to Minecraft, but Minecraft was appropriately priced. I think I bought it for like 8 bucks or something way back in 2011.

Howitzer

Sunburn.

Nothing but constant pain and limited movement for who knows how long. Can it get any worse?

Oh yes, I leave for college in one week. I hope this goes away fast.
LoE not working as it should? Submit bugs here: http://phabricator.legendsofequestria.com/maniphest/task/edit/form/1/
------->  Jurassic Systems <-----------

Midnight Breeze

What is it about black holes that turns rational people into weirdos? Maybe I just don't fully understand the science but I see no reason to believe, or even suspect, that black holes could do things like open wormholes across the universe and whatnot.

I tend to take an Occam's razer approach with everything, black holes being no exception. I don't see anything supernatural about black holes, they're just an object like any other and they obey the laws of physics. Their mass is just high enough that the exit velocity from its surface (or above the surface depending on its size) is equal to or greater than the speed of light. The human eye works by reading photons that bounce off of objects, but since the exit velocity is above the speed of light, no photons that hit the black hole can bounce off of it, thus the information cannot reach our eyes, which is why everything past the event horizon (the point where exit velocity equals the speed of light) appears black.

That's really all I see going on, nothing more. What reason do I have to believe that falling into a black hole could transport me (or my dead body, rather) across the universe? Falling into a planet wouldn't do that, so why would falling into a black hole do it? They're both just objects in space, one just has a much higher mass than the other is all. Maybe someone more knowledgeable about me can set me straight?

Chishio Kunrin

So, I'm trying to watch Youtube videos to catch up on the many, many videos I want to watch.

For some reason... this video stopped buffering at 2:10. Once I got to 2:10, it paused for a moment to start buffering, and then it began playing again. It stopped buffering, so I checked where it stopped.
2:56.
:l
Why.
WHY.
WHY?!!
It's a 38-minute video! I don't want it to pause every minute or two to buffer! Youtube, why are you doing this?!!!

It's only doing it in Firefox, which is my main browser, especially since I have two Gmail accounts, so I keep them both logged in by having one on Firefox and the other on Chrome (Don't ask, things happen), and I didn't want to log out of the one on Chrome just to have access to my Watch Later list and my subscriptions of the one on Firefox.

Also, on Firefox, Youtube keeps doing a thing where a video takes several seconds to load, and it says the time is 0:00 / 0:00 until it loads.

I'm getting really sick of it, and I don't know what the problem is.

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

Jcfraven

One word: Fools.
Two words: Foolish Morons

I'd continue, but it'd be redundant.

Stardust Dragon

Quote from: Midnight Breeze on 2016 Aug 14, 15:31:15
What is it about black holes that turns rational people into weirdos? Maybe I just don't fully understand the science but I see no reason to believe, or even suspect, that black holes could do things like open wormholes across the universe and whatnot.

I tend to take an Occam's razer approach with everything, black holes being no exception. I don't see anything supernatural about black holes, they're just an object like any other and they obey the laws of physics. Their mass is just high enough that the exit velocity from its surface (or above the surface depending on its size) is equal to or greater than the speed of light. The human eye works by reading photons that bounce off of objects, but since the exit velocity is above the speed of light, no photons that hit the black hole can bounce off of it, thus the information cannot reach our eyes, which is why everything past the event horizon (the point where exit velocity equals the speed of light) appears black.

That's really all I see going on, nothing more. What reason do I have to believe that falling into a black hole could transport me (or my dead body, rather) across the universe? Falling into a planet wouldn't do that, so why would falling into a black hole do it? They're both just objects in space, one just has a much higher mass than the other is all. Maybe someone more knowledgeable about me can set me straight?

I think it has something to do with it being beyond normal comprehension: like you said, humans detect objects by photons hitting the eye, and the properties of a black hole prevent any photons from reaching us after bouncing off the object.  I'm not up-to-date on the latest science either, but last I remember hearing we still really don't know what happens at the center (and I presume things get weird, if my limited knowledge of mass-approaching-lightspeed-velocity is right), so it's easier to fill in the gaps with something fantastical like wormholes and mass-transportation rather than simply say "I have no idea."

Or blame sci-fi.  Probably just as reasonable an answer.

Midnight Breeze

2016 Aug 14, 21:09:30 #18392 Last Edit: 2016 Aug 14, 21:12:35 by Midnight Breeze
Quote from: Stardust Dragon on 2016 Aug 14, 19:42:55
I think it has something to do with it being beyond normal comprehension: like you said, humans detect objects by photons hitting the eye, and the properties of a black hole prevent any photons from reaching us after bouncing off the object.  I'm not up-to-date on the latest science either, but last I remember hearing we still really don't know what happens at the center (and I presume things get weird, if my limited knowledge of mass-approaching-lightspeed-velocity is right), so it's easier to fill in the gaps with something fantastical like wormholes and mass-transportation rather than simply say "I have no idea."

Or blame sci-fi.  Probably just as reasonable an answer.

True, black holes by their very nature are unobservable, so we will never know for certain what's beyond the event horizon. There could be a never-ending party of dancing leprechauns in every black hole for all we know, but why even go there when there are simpler, more reasonable explanations?

Occam's razor states that when you don't know something, you should accept the explanation that requires the fewest assumptions. From my point of view it seems like the laws of physics explain the existence of black holes just fine: "A black hole is an object whose mass and density are so high that the escape velocity is faster than the speed of light. Since nothing can travel faster than the speed of light, nothing can escape, therefore black hole." That explanation satisfies me just fine, so why tack on a bunch of other woo-ish junk?

To be honest I'm not even totally comfortable accepting the idea of a singularity. If the Schwarzschild radius of massive stars can be hundreds of kilometers wide then why is a singularity required? Why can't the black hole itself (the physical object, not the event horizon) be many kilometers in diameter? Why does it need to be compressed into an infinitesimal point? I don't see how that's necessary, seems like a redundant step to me.

Stardust Dragon

Quote from: Midnight Breeze on 2016 Aug 14, 21:09:30
True, black holes by their very nature are unobservable, so we will never know for certain what's beyond the event horizon. There could be a never-ending party of dancing leprechauns in every black hole for all we know, but why even go there when there are simpler, more reasonable explanations?

Occam's razor states that when you don't know something, you should accept the explanation that requires the fewest assumptions. From my point of view it seems like the laws of physics explain the existence of black holes just fine: "A black hole is an object whose mass and density are so high that the escape velocity is faster than the speed of light. Since nothing can travel faster than the speed of light, nothing can escape, therefore black hole." That explanation satisfies me just fine, so why tack on a bunch of other woo-ish junk?

To be honest I'm not even totally comfortable accepting the idea of a singularity. If the Schwarzschild radius of massive stars can be hundreds of kilometers wide then why is a singularity required? Why can't the black hole itself (the physical object, not the event horizon) be many kilometers in diameter? Why does it need to be compressed into an infinitesimal point? I don't see how that's necessary, seems like a redundant step to me.

I think I may have found your problem: you expect the human animal to be logical.  In my experience (personal and otherwise), such is rarely the case.

As for the singularity size, I'm way out of my league trying to answer that one.  I presume it has something to do with forces approaching infinity and am leaving it there until proven otherwise.

Midnight Breeze

Quote from: Stardust Dragon on 2016 Aug 15, 01:32:15
I think I may have found your problem: you expect the human animal to be logical.  In my experience (personal and otherwise), such is rarely the case.

This would be correct if it were just laypeople making these weird hypotheses, but it's the greatest minds of our time that are saying it. People like Stephen Hawking, Niel Degrasse Tyson, and Michio Kaku.

I realize that these men are smarter than me and they're privy to knowledge and data that I'm not, but I still expect them to produce some evidence for such extraordinary claims, which they can't, they flat-out admit that it's all just hypothetical. These hypothesis are undisprovable and are therefor not real science, so why are they given the credibility they're given? Science is supposed to be about facts and evidence, not wild speculation and imagination.

Chromastone64

I don't know if this counts as a smile or dumb or anything, but...
@Midnight Breeze , I'm pretty sure Genn Greymane in Warcraft is gonna be doing a LOT more fighting now, considering what just happened in the pre-patch quest...
A self-proclaimed "jack-of-all-media-types". I tend to say "freaking" a lot.<br />My OCs: http://forum.legendsofequestria.com/index.php?topic=13316.0

Midnight Breeze

Quote from: Chromastone64 on 2016 Aug 15, 10:28:35
I don't know if this counts as a smile or dumb or anything, but...
@Midnight Breeze , I'm pretty sure Genn Greymane in Warcraft is gonna be doing a LOT more fighting now, considering what just happened in the pre-patch quest...

So is Greymane actually becoming regeant? Seriously?

What a total writing failure on Blizzard's part. Sylvanas leading the horde and Genn leading the Alliance? Those are literally the two worst possible leaders that either faction could have chosen. Both shown no loyalty toward their respective faction, it's clear they're both only in it for themselves. Why would their factions put them in charge? It makes zero sense. Why the heck would the Horde choose Sylvanas over Baine Bloodhoof? He seems like the ideal warchief, Sylvanas cares about the forsaken only, she'd gladly throw the rest of the Horde under the bus for her own people. And Greymane's only claim to fame is telling the Alliance to shove it, walling his people off, then coming crawling back to the Alliance as soon as Gilneas needed help. Yep, fine leader we got there.

I know it will never happen, but I think Tyrande Whisperwind would make the best queen for the Alliance. Yeah, I know that the humans and dwarves would never put an a night elf in charge of the faction, but I could argue the exact same thing about the orcs putting a forsaken in charge. Genn Greymane is actually my least favorite Alliance leader, which is ironic since I'm a worgen.

Chromastone64

No, no nononono, Anduin's putting him in charge of military.

Midnight Breeze

Quote from: Chromastone64 on 2016 Aug 15, 18:33:01
No, no nononono, Anduin's putting him in charge of military.

Not much better. Leading the military is pretty much leading the Alliance as far as the war effort is concerned.

Also, scratch that about him being my least favorite leader, he's only my SECOND least favorite leader, I forgot about Moira...

Chromastone64

Quote from: Midnight Breeze on 2016 Aug 15, 18:37:29
Not much better. Leading the military is pretty much leading the Alliance as far as the war effort is concerned.

Also, scratch that about him being my least favorite leader, he's only my SECOND least favorite leader, I forgot about Moira...

At least I know who she is. I needed Heroes Of The Storm to understand who the heck Falstad was.

Go Up